THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 21 May 2024, 15:09
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Signs of the apocalypse...  (Read 19717 times)

Bastardous Bassist

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • brinkman propane smoker
Signs of the apocalypse...
« Reply #50 on: 27 Apr 2006, 00:20 »

I'm talking about exploring new ways to approach what music is.  There were actually only two pieces that I felt were really doing interesting things, and there was one other that was working on it.  The first was making use of many extended techniques, as well as interesting ways to create phrases.  Also, the instrumentation (solo flute) was an odd choice.  If I could explain it more fully, then I could be writing it myself!  The other one was with embracing the lack of music as well as the music is something that can be explored more (though, that's dangerous, because many people have already done the same).  The one that I thought showed great potential was involving spoken words and sounds beyond what the specific instruments produced (i.e. clapping and stuff).  Now, all of that has been done before, but the way it was done was pretty interesting, and I think it prooves that there is more to be done in that direction of music.

Also, I don't think college kids have it and no one else does.  As I said earlier, even college kids are doing stuff that I've never heard before.  Surely other people have to be doing the same as well.  I'm just annoyed that none of it is getting from the composers and performers to me.  The record shops all have just more recordings of the same damn pieces that have been around for 50 or more years.  Maybe Adams was right and concert music is really a dying genre.  Not because it's not advancing, but because the people who are supporing it with the most money are the people who don't want it to advance!  They want to hear those same damn pieces.  Hell, for most of them 50 years ago is too soon!  They just want to listen to Mozart and Bach and all of the big names because it sounds so pretty.  They're just so fucking conservative!

Edit:  About listening to retro for innovation.  The idea is one that has worked throughout history, actually.  I think Monteverdi looked backwards a ways for his ideas which ended up founding the Baroque era.  Wagner's revolutionary ideas for operas and music in general was from a look back at Greek dramas and music.  So, it's not so surprising that they could sound reasonably new after not actually listening to new stuff.

Also, it should be noted that I don't agree with the futurists in that the traditions should be completely abandoned.  I think that somebody just needs to look at them in a different way.  Hell, people probably are.  Actually, I'm sure people are.  There are a lot of people out there writing music.  Most of them are probably several times smarter than I.  All I want is to be able to hear their music.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

jcknbl

« Reply #51 on: 27 Apr 2006, 00:41 »

Quote from: KharBevNor

Though people may argue, when I say 'indie rock' everyone pretty much understands what I mean.

As jcknbl pointed out self-reference was one of a range of criteria I mentioned.

The question is, if you say these bands are not post-modern, then what else are they? A lot of post-rock, admittedly, is romantic, but I don't really include that when I slam 'indie rock', because post-rock is merely one of the latest random genre for hipsters to take an extraordinary interest in, same as I don't think of Pelican or Isis as indie rock, but lots of hipsters still lap them up.

I'd say I mainly listen to romantic, gothic and, arguably, modernist music.

See, now you've lost me. I'm not sure how you can just decide that post-rock isn't part of "indie rock". Since we're using the term only out of expedience and because its commonly used we at least need to have a stable definition. We can't arbitrarily remove entire sub-genres. You keep that up and we'll end up just talking about post-punk revival or something.

In any case I think there are certainly elements of "indie rock" that could be considered post-modern: the Fiery Furnaces writing, Deerhoof's structure, and the noise influences of the Black Dice, Animal Collective and others (think expansive definitions of what music means) But there are certainly tons of romantic and modernist aspects. Sufjan Stevens is all romantic. the Colin Meloy is basically a 19th century modernist author. Modest Mouse does existential angst as well as anyone.

And this brings us back to the term "indie rock" while we can certainly use it I don't know that we can make aesthetic or paradigmatic generalizations about the music it signifies. I think there probably is *more* post-modernism in what we call "indie rock" than in most genres but we're in the midst of transitioning to a post-modern age so chances are an increased presence of post-modern characteristic in "indie music" is just a function of contemporary music in general. In other words living in this era we're going to see more post-modern features in our culture. Whether or not something is "indie" has nothing to do with that.

Garcin

« Reply #52 on: 27 Apr 2006, 01:30 »

Quote from: jcknbl
And this brings us back to the term "indie rock" while we can certainly use it I don't know that we can make aesthetic or paradigmatic generalizations about the music it signifies.

Exactly!  But if we agree that we can't generalize on the basis of this term in a meaningful way, why are we using it in the first place?  Is it really an expedient, or does it just muddy the waters?  We can use it to describe what a given album or band is not (if it's indie, then it's not classic rock, it's not Americana, it's not industrial, it's not metal, etc. -- but note the wavering line between Death from Above 1979 and a melodic metal act, or between Animal Collective and certain industrial acts . . . ) but in terms of describing what a given band or album is, I think the umbrella of "indie" becomes more trouble than it's worth.

Did you know that the genre "trip hop" was popularized primarily by the labels trying to move Bristol bands in the late '90s, and was largely despised by the bands themselves?  I think that's what these rubrics (dream pop, power pop, baroque pop, experimental pop, art rock, math rock . . . .) end up being -- marketing tools to convince people that a new band is actuallly something quite familiar.  Not to mention tribal affiliations for the insecure.  But for an intelligent music aficianado with a broad musical vocabulary, these genres cause more problems than they solve.  I  think that it is often preferable to characterize by reference to other bands and albums than it is to characterize by genre.

But this postmodern trip you're on -- seriously I've been down that road and at the end of the day it's a pretty barren place.  The phrase "postmodern" means a different thing to each person in each artistic context.  In music, I am convinced that it is meaningless and discursive.  After electronic music in the '60s, and experimental music really starting in the '70s, we have pushed the envelope about as far is it will go genre-wise.  So which "modern" are we now "post".  Why don't you take a moment and try to explain what you mean by "postmodern"?

Rubby

• The German Chancellory building
    • http://members.shaw.ca/baby.snakes
« Reply #53 on: 27 Apr 2006, 02:42 »

I was gonna say something smart to add to this but now it’s 3:00 in the morning and I’m too tired. I just wanted to add that I love it when people get into music arguments with BB because:
1) They get totally killed.
2) I learn stuff.

beat mouse

• The German Chancellory building
  • HEADACHE
« Reply #54 on: 27 Apr 2006, 02:47 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxYNNYoZp9w

I think a lot of people here should enjoy this, if theyve not already seen it.
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #55 on: 27 Apr 2006, 02:47 »

In response to Tommydsky:
n00b! i h8 u cos u dis4gre! j00 r teh lame.

I think you missunderstand me, I said I dislike indie and that I primarilly listen to industrial and punk. It doesn't mean I only listen to industrial and punk. I never implied that EVERYTHING else sucks, just (a lot of, not all) indie.
And just for you I'm going to download Deerhoof and try and listen to it again. I shall post a review. Then I shall decapitate myself in a kindergarten and spew blood all over the children, just for shits and giggles.

EDIT:
Also, you don't think it's somewhat ironic telling someone their taste in music is limited then saying that you have no taste in music if you can't like 5 'classic' bands?
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #56 on: 27 Apr 2006, 03:09 »

I'm not trying very hard, I still hate Deerhoof, here's my review, http://forums.questionablecontent.net/viewtopic.php?p=320060#320060
That shadow percussion thing that Beatmouse posted is fucking cool. I really like it.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #57 on: 27 Apr 2006, 03:58 »

oh fuck, wrong thread
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Garcin

« Reply #58 on: 27 Apr 2006, 07:06 »

Quote from: beat mouse

PLAY ORGAN DONAR!!!

Umm, in retrospect it's a good thing I wasn't at that concert.  Awesome linkage.

TrueNeutral

« Reply #59 on: 27 Apr 2006, 07:41 »

Quote from: tommydski

your statement was akin to someone saying "i only enjoy one incredibly narrow corridor of something so everything else must suck".

change the reference to anything else and it is still funny.
"dylan isn't 'two tone ska' so he is boring".
"coltrane isn't 'straight-edge harDCore' so he is boring".
"minor threat aren't 'free jazz' so they are boring".
"deerhoof aren't 'industrial punk' so they are boring".

and yes, not liking deerhoof does suggest you have terrible taste in music.
if you don't like deerhoof, you probably wouldn't like blonde redhead.
if you don't like blonde redhead, you probably wouldn't like sonic youth.
if you don't like sonic youth, you probably wouldn't like the fall.
if you don't like the fall, you probably wouldn't like can.
if you don't like can you probably shouldn't listen to music.

i'm sick of the lame 'music is subjective' argument being used to defend the shallow end of the cultural gene-pool. music is subjective but the appreciation of it isn't necessarily.

rizzo, this isn't directed at you in particular. i'm just sick of having this argument every day of my life.

I think Deerhoof are boring, but I like Blonde Redhead and Sonic Youth is one of my favourite bands. That doesn't show that your descision to think they have terrible taste is more reasoned than it might immediately seem, that just shows that your descision to think they have terrible taste is more prejudiced.

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #60 on: 27 Apr 2006, 09:11 »

Quote from: Rubby
I was gonna say something smart to add to this but now it’s 3:00 in the morning and I’m too tired. I just wanted to add that I love it when people get into music arguments with BB because:
1) They get totally killed.
2) I learn stuff.

I don't know if I'm really "winning" an argument here.  I think he just misunderstood my position, and I'm explaining it here.  Learning stuff is always good.  I was thinking about this last night.  I love music an incredible amount.  Seriously.  And learning about somehting I love is incredible.  I highly recommen that, in honour of this thread, everyone go out and buy a book about some aspect of music that they've kind of wanted to know about for a while, but never got around to it.  I would do the same, but I already own about five or six that I have yet to read.

Quote from: beat mouse

A percussion ensemble from my youth orchestra in high school played Zappa's "G-String Tornado."  It was pretty hot.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

Garcin

« Reply #61 on: 27 Apr 2006, 12:04 »

I have never seen a book published within the last five years, on the pop/rock scene, that I thought was worth a damn.  I'm not saying it's not out there -- but if it is, I'm definitely not aware of it.  The commentary that you tend to get from professional media varies from obvious to painful.  (For example, check out the NPR radio performance of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs in DC.  You learn two things: Karen O wears tattered clothes, and they sound a lot better live.)

You want to recommend one, I'll order it, and then we can do some kind of music nerd book club (yay!).

Bastardous Bassist

« Reply #62 on: 27 Apr 2006, 12:11 »

Oh, that would be sweet, but I don't know shit about the pop/rock scene, and the books I need to read are older anyways, before I can move up to anything current.  Hell, I still haven't read Miles's autobiography.
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

karl gambolputty...

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #63 on: 27 Apr 2006, 13:39 »

It's an excellent book.  I particularly love the chapter on the Butthole Surfers.  Simon Reynold's Rip It Up and Start Again is also awesome, if you are into the British Post-Punk scene.

LadyValerie

Re: Signs of the apocalypse...
« Reply #64 on: 29 Apr 2006, 11:57 »

Quote from: KharBevNor

Bauhaus supporting NIN!? Trent Reznor should be cleaning Peter Murphys shoes with his goddamn tongue!

I heard about that. Such a shame.

Nine Inch Nails has become so removed from gothic music (were they ever even really apart of it?)

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #65 on: 29 Apr 2006, 15:25 »

Cybergoths and gravers worth their salt HATE Nine Inch Nails. These are people who aren't ashamed to admit they love Apoptygma Berzerk. That is giving you some clue.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up