THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 14 Jun 2024, 14:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Machines and noise  (Read 2900 times)

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
Machines and noise
« on: 01 May 2006, 01:55 »

In response to this comment;
Quote from: est
Man, why is it that we can have a million metal & indie threads for individual bands and whatnot and yet "hip hop" and "dance music" are always two things that seem to get lumped into these all-encompassing threads all by themselves.

I give you, THE INDUSTRIAL THREAD.

I love industrial and indsutrial rock. My personal favourites are Ministry, Coil, KMFDM, NUTE, The Mercy Cage, NIN, Angelspit, ohGr and Skinny Puppy.
I don't consider industrial to be dance music but a lot of it is definately dancable.
What got you in to industrial? What do you consider industrial? EBM? etc?

I was very recently introduced to Bile who are pretty awesome. Real gritty industrial metal.

Discuss industrial and related sub genres here.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

jariku

Machines and noise
« Reply #1 on: 01 May 2006, 02:24 »

I hate EBM and this silly industrial rock most mainstream "industrial" bands make.

I luuuuuurrrrvvveeee early industrial, power electronics, nihilistic darkwave, dark ambient, noise, all sorts of experimental stuff and Ministry. Especially Ministry. Ministry is all kinds of nice and fluffy doused in gasoline and thrown into a bonfire. Luv!

My other favorites include STROM.ec, Einstürzende Neubauten, Current 93, Nurse With Wound, early Das Ich, Institut, Brighter Death Now, Coil, Skinny Puppy, I.corax, Merzbow, Atari Teenage Riot and so on.

I'm also one of the guys organizing a noise/industrial/ambient club in Tampere, Finland called Syntesia. Unfortunately we are on hiatus now since I'm in Czech Republic 'til September and another guy from the group is in Berlin 'til I can't remember when.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Machines and noise
« Reply #2 on: 01 May 2006, 04:51 »

EBM's really it's own type of music away from industrial mainly nowadays. I mean, some EBM projects have industrial credentials (:wumpscut: for example) but nowhere near all of them, and it's still not the same thing.

To re-state my taste in industrial and whatnot here would be to pretty much duplicate my last post, but I pretty much like a wide spread of things, Whitehouse and Covenant and a fair bit of what's in between.

I also like a good bit of industrial metal, especially industrial black (Aborym, Count Nosferatu Kommando, Enbilulugugal, Zyklon and so forth)

I'm also quite a big fan of what I suppose you could call 'old school' industrial rock, (ie, slightly more electronic post-punk) such as Swans and Alien Sex Fiend.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
Machines and noise
« Reply #3 on: 01 May 2006, 04:56 »

Damn, you got me all excited and then it was industrial. I was hoping for more like this: http://keithfullertonwhitman.com/projects/playthroughs.html kfw.gtrsolotape.sideone is awesome.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Machines and noise
« Reply #4 on: 01 May 2006, 05:02 »

And why is that at all irrelevant to the thread?

Not bad btw.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
Machines and noise
« Reply #5 on: 01 May 2006, 05:36 »

I just never really thought of that style of thing as industrial. I think I just lumped a lot of stuff that I like in as drone, never spoken to anyone in meatlife who was vaguely interested though.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

MilkmanDan

Machines and noise
« Reply #6 on: 01 May 2006, 07:14 »

That song sounds like a noise remix of Digeridoo by Aphex Twin. That's a good thing.

And, uh, I like Nurse With Wound. Which makes me relevant. I don't really do industrial, it kinda bores me. I'm sure I'd like some songs, but my explorations into the area haven't excited me enough to try again.

Unosuke

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
Machines and noise
« Reply #7 on: 01 May 2006, 08:37 »

I like the Rock/Metal side of industrial more than the dance side. I dunno, cranking up Spineshank works when I'm angry.
Jeph: I think I like drunken baking. It has a sense of danger that you just don't get when you're sober.

dancarter

• Curry sauce
    • http://dancarter.deviantart.com
Machines and noise
« Reply #8 on: 01 May 2006, 08:41 »

Yay for the industrial!

I was 14 when I 'discovered' Skinny Puppy, right around the time of the Last Rights tour, which was my first concert and blew me away.

As for things I like, older FLA is really good, their more recent work is good as well, but more akin in sound to Delerium than Industrial music.  

Things have gotten a bit stale, yeah, and I think there could be a couple of reasons for that.  One, the popularity of NIN, and two, the now defunct WaxTrax Records kind of got trapped in a sort of self-parody after a while.  Still, there are always people making interesting music.  Android Lust, I, Parasite and others have all put out really amazing, inventive records lately.

There are some really great sub-genre stuffs too.  Powernoise bands like Converter, Antigen Shift, Iszoloscope and Mimetic do some strange, sometimes wonderful, sometimes almost unlistenable things.  

EBM is strange, and I often don't get the categorization of some of these bands because they often have completely different sounds.  Haujobb does not sound like, have the same structures or even remote sensibilities as say, Die Krupps.  Besides, EBM as a whole, borrows more from synth and futurepop at the moment than bands like Front 242 or the new beat artists.  Harsh EBM is good as well.  Bands like Unter Null, Flesh Field and Stromkern tend to always be interesting.

What do people think about Coldwave?  Bands like Christ Analogue, Chemlab, Cyanotic, Clay People or Hate Dept.?

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
Machines and noise
« Reply #9 on: 01 May 2006, 22:36 »

Yeah, I don't like what happened to Wax Trax and god, don't get me started on Cleopatra... There are enough tribute albums on the market damnit!
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

dancarter

• Curry sauce
    • http://dancarter.deviantart.com
Machines and noise
« Reply #10 on: 04 May 2006, 16:34 »

Oh man,  I bought a lot of those tribute albums too, thinking they'd be pretty decent...but oh, no.  One good track per album and the rest, just plain rubbish.

Still, it was nice to hear Dead Voices on Air cover Skinny Puppy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up