THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 10 Jun 2024, 11:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Music theory.  (Read 2925 times)

The Hammered

Music theory.
« on: 12 Jul 2006, 21:21 »

Right, I need some suggestions here. For learning music theory, would you suggest a book, a teacher, both, or something else entirely? Also, if it's possible to just learn from a book, do you have any particular recommendations?

Thanks.

FeralCats

• Plantmonster
Music theory.
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jul 2006, 04:11 »

Go buy a good book. May I reccomend 'Music Notation' by Garner Read? It's really excellent.
"Okay, let's get this straight, okay, we're totally going to create a Questionable Content Forum signature here, just as soon as we get tuned up, any moment now, yes, wait one moment sir, any seco...."

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
Music theory.
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jul 2006, 04:27 »

As someone who is lerning music theory in highschool, I say that getting a teacher is the best way.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

TrueNeutral

Music theory.
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jul 2006, 04:29 »

Really? I got music theory in high school while I was learning to play guitar. I don't even remember what I 'learned' in high school.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Music theory.
« Reply #4 on: 13 Jul 2006, 12:38 »

I suggest a teacher all the way. I tried self-teaching, I tried books, and frankly, I would be a worthless guitarist (and I'd not play any of the other insruments I can play now) without my teacher.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

RealLifeFake

Music theory.
« Reply #5 on: 13 Jul 2006, 13:22 »

I've got 6 semesters of Music Theory under my belt (along with Ear Training, which is extremely helpful if you have the resources) and I would say the easiest and best way to learn Theory is from someone who already understands it.

Music Theory is a contrived, irritating, subject which bases everything you learn on everything else you learn.  It's like Calculus.  You cannot possibly sit down and understand dirivatives (sp) or integrals without first understanding arithmetic and algebra.

If you find someone who understands Music Theory, they can explain the rules to you in a way that will help you understand them.  You can't get that from a book.

Good luck.

Lines

• Awakened
Music theory.
« Reply #6 on: 13 Jul 2006, 13:52 »

you need a teacher. most of it really is ear training and if you don't know what you're doing, you're not really going to get anything but irritated. i took if for two years in high school and it was REALLY helpful. especially if you are planning to go into music in college, becaue then you can ask your teacher to help you with certain things that will be on entrance exams.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
Music theory.
« Reply #7 on: 13 Jul 2006, 17:22 »

A teacher is best, or at the very least a friend that you learn it with. Learning Music Theory is utterly useless if you do not do ear training, and to do that well you need someone to work on it with you. Teacher, hands down.

I've taken the AP and it would be amazingly futile to try to learn something like that by yourself.

Also, when you're listening to music, grab some staff paper and do some melodic dictation. Analyze form, do some chord analysis. Music theory isn't somthing you just learn, it's something that you really have to train and work on constantly.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
Music theory.
« Reply #8 on: 13 Jul 2006, 20:19 »

Quote from: TrueNeutral
Really? I got music theory in high school while I was learning to play guitar. I don't even remember what I 'learned' in high school.

Okay, so getting a teacher outside of high school is the best way. In my experience, the chance of remembering anything you learned in high school two years later is slim.
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

FeralCats

• Plantmonster
Music theory.
« Reply #9 on: 14 Jul 2006, 02:12 »

Quote from: Valrus

Okay, so getting a teacher outside of high school is the best way. In my experience, the chance of remembering anything you learned in high school two years later is slim.

Yeah, that's about right.
"Okay, let's get this straight, okay, we're totally going to create a Questionable Content Forum signature here, just as soon as we get tuned up, any moment now, yes, wait one moment sir, any seco...."

TrueNeutral

Music theory.
« Reply #10 on: 14 Jul 2006, 03:11 »

Fair enough. Any 'credentials' or anything someone should look for?

timehat

Music theory.
« Reply #11 on: 14 Jul 2006, 06:19 »

A degree in music of some sort, I would say. And yeah, I think being self-taught to a degree is cool, because it gives you an individualitic grasp on a lot of ideas, but having a teacher can expose you to a ton of knowledge very quickly.

Lines

• Awakened
Music theory.
« Reply #12 on: 14 Jul 2006, 07:12 »

Fair enough. Any 'credentials' or anything someone should look for?

you probably want someone with a music degree. not saying those who don't won't know anything, but a person with a degree will probably know more and be more helpful.

i still remember most of what i learned in high school... i just don't use it because i never have a reason to.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:
Pages: [1]   Go Up