THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 21 May 2024, 03:09
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Matthew Reilly much?  (Read 3023 times)

Iron_Fist

• Larger than most fish
  • Derp-derpa doo.
Matthew Reilly much?
« on: 01 Jan 2007, 22:02 »

mmm I dig his books. The scarecrow seires in particular. Call me a ballistics geek. But whatever, I also dig just how implausible alot of the events in his books are. Anyone else read Matthew Reilly's books?
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

elcapitan

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
Re: Matthew Reilly much?
« Reply #1 on: 02 Jan 2007, 07:48 »

I read Ice Station and Temple when I was younger, and thought they weren't too bad - low-brow, certainly, but readable. I picked up Area 7 as an aeroplane read a few months ago, and didn't make it past the first hundred pages.

It's appalling! The man couldn't write his way out of a wet paper bag. Frankly, the fact that he was published at all demeans everyone in the publishing industry, AND the reading public.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #2 on: 02 Jan 2007, 07:53 »

i too read ice station and temple a few years back and found them pretty good page turners. not well written but very fast paced and the kind of novel you can read in a single day pretty easily. i haven't read any of his later stuff. temple bored me a bit but ice station is relativly worth reading for a good action novel.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Gridgm

• Beyoncé
« Reply #3 on: 02 Jan 2007, 08:37 »

it's good stuff definatly page turners...i don't like hover car racer that much i don't think it should have been published and instead should have stayed as a purely internet novel but that's just me
and my ears are wearing head phones
they do play my favorite songs
not music i'm told to like
but the songs that make me dance along

Iron_Fist

• Larger than most fish
  • Derp-derpa doo.
« Reply #4 on: 02 Jan 2007, 18:23 »

need to get me a copy of contest. But I dig the bounty hunting in scarecrow. and the ending... just WTF. so bad. And yet I couldn't stop reading.
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

salada

• Curry sauce
« Reply #5 on: 07 Jan 2007, 14:24 »

i used to buy his books before international flights and read them in one/two sittings on-board. they might not have any literary whatever in the same way dumb action flicks don't have any cinematic whatever, but they kill time, and you are guaranteed to read the phrase "his head exploded like an overripe watermelon" at least once in all of his books, so i'm not going to argue.

godinpants

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Jolly good show old bean.
    • Godinpants
« Reply #6 on: 07 Jan 2007, 16:08 »

i liked hovercar racer.

although it pretty much seemed to me to be harry potter, but replacing wizards with racing kids.

elcapitan

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #7 on: 08 Jan 2007, 13:09 »

I picked up Hovercar Racer in a bookshop once.

An author who actually writes "ZOOOOOOOM!!" in full seriousness not only deserves not to sell, he deserves to be publicly castrated and then shot.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #8 on: 09 Jan 2007, 02:43 »

An author who actually writes "ZOOOOOOOM!!" in full seriousness not only deserves not to sell, he deserves to be publicly castrated and then shot.

come on, give him a break. surely it couldn't be in all seriousness and surely he doesn't consider his work high literature. they're pure fluff and he knows it. but he can write a page turner and in certain situations that can be great. this shouldn't be held to the same standards as actual literature. it's fun, almost lame action comic book-ey.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Caspian

• The Tickler
« Reply #9 on: 10 Jan 2007, 09:34 »

come on, give him a break. surely it couldn't be in all seriousness and surely he doesn't consider his work high literature. they're pure fluff and he knows it. but he can write a page turner and in certain situations that can be great. this shouldn't be held to the same standards as actual literature. it's fun, almost lame action comic book-ey.

I agree with that. He's like the Dragonball Z of novels. Fluffy, not too much plot or character development, and yet completely awesome.
Pages: [1]   Go Up