THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 05 May 2024, 22:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good place to start with Godspeed You! Black Emperor.  (Read 6184 times)

Love-is-god

Hey guys, I've been expanding my musical library (with mucho help from this forum and the RL page) and was going to look into this band now, it sounds awesome.

Now, as I'm both to lazy to look it up and too suspicious of official website opinions to accept it anyway, I want to place my trust in QC's readers in finding out what a good album would be to start with here.  What's their absolute best, what is most representative of what this band *is*?

Let me know, I have the utmost faith in you.

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
Good place to start with Godspeed You! Black Emperor.
« Reply #1 on: 30 Aug 2006, 12:52 »

I don't know if this is their "best" but it's what got me into Godspeed...check out "Lift Yr Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven," and especially the first track "Storm."  It's basically amazing.

Best listened to by candlelight when it's actualy storming out, too!
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Love-is-god

« Reply #2 on: 30 Aug 2006, 13:19 »

That's fine, an honest opinion from a forum goer was all I needed to go on.  Thank you kindly for taking the time to respond, I'll be checking it out as I speak, er, type.

mysteriousbriefcase

« Reply #3 on: 30 Aug 2006, 13:48 »

i second 10110101010.  that's the first i heard of them and probably some of the best IMO.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: 30 Aug 2006, 13:50 »

Tbh, I don't think it really matters. It's not like any of their records is incredibly bad or really outstandingly good compared to the others. The first one I heard was Yanqui U.X.O., which I don't think would be anyone here's choice as a first time listen (I suspect opinion will be divided between 'Lift Yr Skinny Fists...' and 'F#A# Infinity') but still did fine to get me into them.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #5 on: 30 Aug 2006, 14:32 »

I'm in the "Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven" boat, myself.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
« Reply #6 on: 30 Aug 2006, 14:47 »

F#A#oo is awesome though.  It was my first listen of them, and I loved it.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #7 on: 30 Aug 2006, 14:57 »

F#A#oo is very awesome. Much more gloomy and whatwhat.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

IndieGuitarSwing

« Reply #8 on: 30 Aug 2006, 15:18 »

Lift Yr Skinny Fists is the way to go. Then F#A#oo

FreshJive787

• Furry furrier
« Reply #9 on: 30 Aug 2006, 15:22 »

lift your skinny firsts like antennas to heaven then F#A#(infinity)

mberan42

• Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #10 on: 30 Aug 2006, 15:30 »

Hey, has anyone suggested "Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven" first, then "F#A#∞", yet?

Just wondering.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

brew

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #11 on: 30 Aug 2006, 15:32 »

The Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada EP is definitely the one to start with.

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #12 on: 30 Aug 2006, 15:33 »

What a great idea, mberan, I wonder why nobody else thought of it first.

mberan42

• Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #13 on: 30 Aug 2006, 15:39 »

Yeah, thanks schimmy. I really try to be on top of things like this!
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

ramenXnoodles

« Reply #14 on: 30 Aug 2006, 16:52 »

Skinny Fists then F#A#(x)

Jooooosh

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #15 on: 30 Aug 2006, 17:07 »

what eveyone else has said, and also Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada
fast-food for thought

Kid Modernist

« Reply #16 on: 30 Aug 2006, 18:28 »

Skinny Fists then Infinity.

Anybody say it yet?

Will

• Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #17 on: 30 Aug 2006, 19:40 »

Once you've digested as much Godspeed as you can handle (Skinny Fists and Infinity, in case you missed it) make sure you check out A Silver Mt. Zion...they share members with Godspeed, are similar musically, have some of the most heartwrenching vocals ever, and are just hands down amazing...get the album "Born Into Trouble As The Sparks Fly Upward," I personally think it's a.) ASMZ's best album and b.) actually better than Godspeed.  Either way, both bands are worth checking out
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Radiowar

• Obscure cultural reference
    • my music
« Reply #18 on: 31 Aug 2006, 08:43 »

The first I ever got was Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada. It's probably the most accessible anyways.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #19 on: 31 Aug 2006, 12:50 »

What kind of music is it? because now i'm curious, as well.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #20 on: 31 Aug 2006, 15:21 »

okay, i got tired of waiting and downloaded Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven and completely forgot i was listening to music. i am about halfway through the first song "Storm" and i didnt even realize i was listening to anything.
its very bizarre.
i can't tell if i like it or not. its very different. is it all instrumental? because i'm not so sure i want to listen to all 80+ minutes just to find out i dont really care for it.

okay, in the process of typing this i decided i am not interested in 20 minute long instrumentals and have decided to pretend this band doesnt exist and go on with my life.
i applaud those of you who listen to this stuff regularly. you must have incredibly long dongzlol attention spans.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #21 on: 31 Aug 2006, 15:53 »

If you are not listening to it with the speakers cranked and the bass maxed you are listening wrong, by the way. :D

FeralCats

• Plantmonster
« Reply #22 on: 31 Aug 2006, 18:33 »

I only have F#A# Infinity, which is pretty damn good. It was their first album and is easy to get into...but you really should SIT DOWN AND LISTEN TO IT ALL THE WAY THROUGH (actually, you should with most music, unless you feel like dancing.)
"Okay, let's get this straight, okay, we're totally going to create a Questionable Content Forum signature here, just as soon as we get tuned up, any moment now, yes, wait one moment sir, any seco...."

edgyswingsetacid

« Reply #23 on: 31 Aug 2006, 23:51 »

slow riot for new zero kanada.

moya: rocks the fuck out.

bbf3: delicate and moving, and shows dexterity in use of field recordings, while expressing what they as a band are all about . . .

"...i don't like the judicial system, i don't like the government system, i don't like the police, i don't like anything to do with this country's government. i just don't like it, because...they're sneaky, like i said - they're deceitful, they're lying, they're cheats, they rip people off. that's the american government for you. america is a third world country, and people don't recognise it...and i think that that's pretty god damn sad, that they don't recognise their own country as a third world, third rate, third class slum...."

i honestly dont think skinny fists is a good place to start, because i dont think storm is very good at all, and may put people off . . . f#a#infinity as well, because most of it is tape loops and screwdrivered guitars, which i love, of course, but may put some people off.

feralcats has it right on in saying that you must actually listen to at least an entire song or an entire album to be able to make a decision on this sort of music. of course, it will not appeal to everyone, but one mustn't hasten to a conclusion . . .

oscard

« Reply #24 on: 04 Sep 2006, 20:29 »

I for one love Godspeed. Im a big fan of Post Rock in general, Godspeed being some of the most notorious, have been in my collection for ahwile. I have all the albums, so im just gonna give you probably the one that most people start with.

Lift yr Skinny: 2nd Track Sleep. If you cant stand this track, you probably wont be able to make it through alot of their other stuff. The thing about Godspeed just like all Post Rock, is that the songs are like rollercoasters. Most often then not your going to go up, then down.

F#A# Infinity: This would be the next place to look. 'Dead Flag Blues' and 'East Hastings' are probably the more preffered tracks.

From that point the rest of the albums you can listen to on your own. Godspeed does consider themselves an Orchestra. Their songs are in movements. The song Sleep's name is actually Sleep: Murray Ostril (They Don't Sleep Anymore on the Beach); Monheim; etc.

You do have to have alot of patience, for the most part. I have alot of friends who will often change the song on me cause they think its over. There songs do hit the upwards of 20minutes.

I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. But if you dont you dont =)
Pages: [1]   Go Up