THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 May 2024, 18:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: musical instruments!  (Read 7967 times)

bachelorchow

• Not quite a lurker
musical instruments!
« on: 10 Sep 2006, 04:31 »

yep
« Last Edit: 05 Feb 2012, 03:34 by bachelorchow »

Praeserpium Machinarum

musical instruments!
« Reply #1 on: 10 Sep 2006, 06:26 »

I own a didgeridoo. I bought it in Christiania a few years back. As with anything else there it's either dope or utter crap(or both I suppose).
Naturally mine is the latter. It is made from bamboo and has shall we say "primitive" ornaments.
Calling it an instrument might be pushing it actually...

Night Rocker

musical instruments!
« Reply #2 on: 10 Sep 2006, 06:35 »

In my school, you would have to buy a recordor for music class. Everyone sucked. My first instrument that i "enjoyed" is my Ibanez guitar.  Here it is http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=IJX40

I dont like it. I also wish i dont have so many dents in it.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
musical instruments!
« Reply #3 on: 10 Sep 2006, 06:56 »

My first would be my Epiphone Special II, that I bought a good 3˝ years back. Still works fine, and still sounds pretty cool.

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com
musical instruments!
« Reply #4 on: 10 Sep 2006, 07:46 »

An acoustic guitar which my friend sort of has on a permenant loan basis. I recently bought a bass also, this is the first electric instrument I've bought.
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

Reno

musical instruments!
« Reply #5 on: 10 Sep 2006, 08:09 »

My first instrument to own was a nice little Yamaha intermediate level Trumpet.  I have it still.....all it needs is some valve oil to sound as good as the day I got it.

elcapitan

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
musical instruments!
« Reply #6 on: 10 Sep 2006, 09:31 »

My first proper instrument was a little one-quarter size violin.

My first instrument that I bought with serious money was my Maton 225C. This was totally an impulse buy - I learnt to play guitar on a borrowed steelstring, which I had to give back, and after six months of no guitar I said "Fuck it, I need a guitar."

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
musical instruments!
« Reply #7 on: 10 Sep 2006, 11:05 »

Man that bass sucked so much ass I dont even want to talk about it. I think I still have it around somewhere.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Stifled Dreams

musical instruments!
« Reply #8 on: 10 Sep 2006, 11:09 »

My mom taught me how to play her old clarinet for a while when I was maybe in 2nd grade. If any of you possess younger siblings or babysit, you can guess that it didn't work out. Clarinets should not be given to young children. Squeaky squeaky.

The next year I had a plastic recorder which was my first instrument that was my own. I still have it somewhere. My father actually has wooden recorders but I have not played them. Still, when I see a recorder, I still have the ability to play "My Heart Will Go On" from Titanic on it. AMAZING!

I rented a cheap oboe the next year. Played that until it became too problematic and I bought my current Yamaha one.

(I win at woodwinds)

dennis

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • A sockful of quarters makes the medicine go down.
    • Lies! Truth!
musical instruments!
« Reply #9 on: 10 Sep 2006, 11:17 »

My parents bought a Baldwin upright piano because they fancied raising some sort of virtuoso. I had about 6 years of lessons, and then stopped when I got into high school and promptly forgot everything.

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
musical instruments!
« Reply #10 on: 10 Sep 2006, 11:33 »

First instrument for me was a used student-model King trombone, which served me well for almost 12 years.  Then I joined a band, which our friends lovingly described as "trombone-ravaged punk rock mayhem," and my first ever horn was sacrificed to the spirit of rock and roll...

by which I mean I inadvertently destroyed it one night at a show, by smashing it several times into the drum set.  If you've never seen a trombone literally fly apart, you simply must watch that event someday!

Damn, I miss playing with those guys...those were the days
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
musical instruments!
« Reply #11 on: 10 Sep 2006, 11:54 »

My first thing was a little box of slide whistles and the such, then a recorder for elementary music class.

My family has a piano which we used to play when we were still doing lessons, but sadly those ended, and the piano hass fallen into both disuse and twenty-five or so cents flat.

Then when I entered thge fourth grade I was the proud recipient of a used Yamaha student bore trombone that I sadly still use to this day. I hate the thing but I have to keep and use it. I should probably get a new one, but I just don't have the money.

Two years ago I was the proud recipient of an Epiphone G-400 from my uncle for christmas. I've never had lessons though, so when it is used it is generally an affront to music.

I have two school Baritones at the moment but I own neither.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
musical instruments!
« Reply #12 on: 10 Sep 2006, 12:48 »

I rocked it so hard,
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

SensoryOssuary

musical instruments!
« Reply #13 on: 10 Sep 2006, 12:58 »

I only ever really inherit/borrow instruments. I play my brother's old junior high clarinet, an old Panasonic keyboard my parents own, my other brother's Ibanez beginner bass that he never plays, some toy xylophones, bongos, etc., etc.

I did, however, buy one of these[ish]:
http://www.washburn.com/products/electrics/x/x11b.aspx
At least it looked just like that, but I think it was a worse model it was only like a hundred dollars.

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
    • http://www.facebook.com/heyheyrabbit
musical instruments!
« Reply #14 on: 10 Sep 2006, 13:22 »

Quote from: Reno
My first instrument to own was a nice little Yamaha intermediate level Trumpet.  I have it still.....all it needs is some valve oil to sound as good as the day I got it.

What would 'valve' oil do for the sound?

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
musical instruments!
« Reply #15 on: 10 Sep 2006, 14:47 »

You do not sound good if one of your valves is stuck. I have broken enough valves to know this.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
musical instruments!
« Reply #16 on: 10 Sep 2006, 21:38 »

Quote from: SensoryOssuary
I did, however, buy one of these[ish]:
http://www.washburn.com/products/electrics/x/x11b.aspx
At least it looked just like that, but I think it was a worse model it was only like a hundred dollars.

someone told me washburn electrics are shite.  i have a washburn acoustic, and DAMN it sounds fine.

my first instrument that was officially mine was the squire strat i got for my birthday this past may.  hooray for me being lame!

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
musical instruments!
« Reply #17 on: 10 Sep 2006, 21:41 »

[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Scytale

musical instruments!
« Reply #18 on: 11 Sep 2006, 00:44 »

The first instrument I bought was a Yamaha PSR-290, I pretty much bought it on a whim, I'd been wanting to buy a keyboard for ages and finally one day I was driving past a music shop with a friend and just went into the store looked at all the keyboards and choose the one I could afford with the features I wanted. I think I choose pretty well. I bought a USB- midi controller for it about a year later.

A Year later I got a guitar, a beat up old stratocaster off a guy from work. It's chipped and dinged up to all hell but I love it.

FreshJive787

• Furry furrier
musical instruments!
« Reply #19 on: 11 Sep 2006, 00:49 »

i started on recorder, learned practically nothing and moved onto bass a few years later, learned practically nothing, sold my bass and bought an electric guitar.

ive still learned practically nothing.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
musical instruments!
« Reply #20 on: 11 Sep 2006, 03:30 »

The first instrument I ever played? My dad's old 1937 Kay acoustic guitar. She looks _exactly_ like this

http://home.insightbb.com/~blackriderguitars/kay1.jpg">

except she has a different pickguard (it kindof looks like an overgrown brown celluloid guitar pick), a mother-of-pearl ring around the soundhole, and she is way way way WAAAAY more worn than that. She's got the sweetest sound I've ever heard on any guitar, and if my stepbrothers think they're getting it when my dad dies, they've got another thing comin'.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

valley_parade

• coprophage
musical instruments!
« Reply #21 on: 11 Sep 2006, 12:58 »

My parents got me a Squier Bullet (Strat style) for Christmas in 02. The following summer, I bought (and still have) a used Epiphone Firebird that'll be 10 years old come November.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Skittish

musical instruments!
« Reply #22 on: 11 Sep 2006, 15:52 »

A Harmony acoustic guitar that still sounds fantastic.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
musical instruments!
« Reply #23 on: 11 Sep 2006, 17:07 »

technically my first instrument was a clarinet. but that was only because we had to play something for 6th grade music. i failed music that year. actually i got a an F- THEYRE NOT EVEN ALLOWED TO GIVE OUT "F MINUSES"!!!!!!!!
 and my bitch of a teacher gave me one anyway.

anyway, the first instrument i played by choice and enjoyed was the drums. cheapass percussion plus set. i still use the shells but have upgraded everything else (except two of my stands).
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
musical instruments!
« Reply #24 on: 11 Sep 2006, 23:48 »

An F *minus*? That's like saying, "You fail at everything to do with this subject, and oh yeah here's a bucket of piss to shower in, FAILURE."

Night Rocker

musical instruments!
« Reply #25 on: 12 Sep 2006, 18:03 »

My teacher threatened me with a Z minus last year. Thoughout the year he said he wanted to smash my face in. hmm...

(sorta On topic) Haha E. I think we all had one of those once befor our musicalness started

Mikendher

musical instruments!
« Reply #26 on: 12 Sep 2006, 18:39 »

This is the order of my instruments:

1. piano
2. violin
3. recorder
4. saxophone
5. guitar
6. mandolin
7. ukulele
8. glockenspiel
9. harmonica
10. bass guitar
11. flute

But I sucked at the flute

srymusic

musical instruments!
« Reply #27 on: 12 Sep 2006, 20:23 »

hmmm...in order
1. Pearl Drum set
2. Cort Electric Bass
3. 2 Electric Guitars
4. 2 Numark TT-1650 Turntables w/ Numark mixer
5. Korg Electribe...uhh the big blue one
6. microKorg
7. Roland MC-505
8. Trombone
9. Violin

my familly also hasa glockenspiel as a heirloom.

i've sold most of those. all i have left are the trombone, violin, guitars, and of coarse my turntables and general djing stuff.

soak

musical instruments!
« Reply #28 on: 12 Sep 2006, 20:50 »

I attempted to play drums but when I discovered that I lack the ability to keep time I figured making music was not going to be possible.

Jakkob

musical instruments!
« Reply #29 on: 12 Sep 2006, 23:42 »

I was the Giddy Recipiant of an amazing Gift from my Music Teacher, he had an almost new Bassoon laying at home from an old private school that never asked for it back. Cherrywood and all. I learned to play all the basics(save the Brass, could never doo any brass except the French Horn), the clairinets(soprano/b-flat, alto and bass clairanets. I am proud of that, it was here i learned to read both base clef and Treble clef) Saxaphones (Soprano and Baritone oddly enough, i have never even touched an alto or a tenor) tried the flute, failed and then said that he had something for me to try. He brought the Bassoon the next day, and i LOVED it, double reeds make the most amazing sounds and the Bassoon was just so natural to play. though sadly, it was broken on the last band performance of the year, by someone carelessly rushing out after the performance, still have the Pieces somewhere...

I stoped playing after that, i guess i lost interest when i lost my Bassoon.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
musical instruments!
« Reply #30 on: 13 Sep 2006, 07:59 »

Quote from: E. Spaceman

I rocked it so hard,

That keyboard has sexual harassment in its eyes.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Mark7

• My sandbox is crunchy
    • My Music
musical instruments!
« Reply #31 on: 13 Sep 2006, 13:19 »

My first was a Hondo Strat copy that was stolen.

Since then I've had/have

A Hondo Les Paul copy (have)
A Hondo Precision copy (have)
A Casio keyboard (had)
A Tanglewood Strat copy (have)
A Madeira dreadnaught acoustic (have)
A CRB Diamond 700 combo organ (have)
A Vox Pathfinder 15 watt trannie combo amp (have)
A Yamaha RX21 drum machine (have)
A Yamaha RX8 drum machine (have)
Will be at your local record store this Friday handing out the hot dickings

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
musical instruments!
« Reply #32 on: 13 Sep 2006, 23:26 »

Meaning no disrespect or ill will toward you, and even at the risk of posting something completely and utterly irrelevant to this thread, I have a burning hatred for all drum machines. How can I play Rush covers when all this fucker knows is 4/4 and 3/4?

Mark7

• My sandbox is crunchy
    • My Music
musical instruments!
« Reply #33 on: 14 Sep 2006, 00:11 »

I'm not a huge fan of them either, but where I live they're a necessary evil.
Will be at your local record store this Friday handing out the hot dickings
Pages: [1]   Go Up