THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 09 Jun 2024, 10:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Thermals and Chin Up Chin Up  (Read 3791 times)

RallyMonkey

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
The Thermals and Chin Up Chin Up
« on: 21 Sep 2006, 15:29 »

Cursive is coming here in October, and I am definitely going. Their opening bands are The Thermals and Chin Up Chin Up. Two bands that I have never heard of. For those of you that have heard of them, are they any good? If so, which CDs would you suggest?

I would not usually make a topic like this, but I have not been able to find any of their music, though I have not searched hard.

Thank you.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2006, 15:49 »

Man I want to see the Thermals.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

minkles

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2006, 16:02 »

I am a big fan of The Thermals, but I haven't been able to get into Chin Up Chin Up.  Get the Thermals' latest, "The Body, the Blood, the Machine".

You can find some Thermals mp3s here and some Chin Up Chin Up mp3s here

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2006, 17:23 »

There are new Thermals tracks on their Myspace. It's very awesome stuff and the blurb says it's stuff that envisions the U.S. being governed by a fascist Christian state. There are some very interesting meditations on God and humanity wrapped up in that thar vicious punk.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

rage

« Reply #4 on: 23 Sep 2006, 04:12 »

He said fear me again, know I'm your Father
Remember that no one can breathe underwater

They're coming to nashville in 2 weeks.  I'm excited.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #5 on: 23 Sep 2006, 05:05 »

I just checked last night and they are coming here sometime soon. I might go. Cursive + Thermals = win.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Jyan

• Plantmonster
« Reply #6 on: 24 Sep 2006, 14:06 »

Love all three of those bands, and each one delivers a little something different. You're one lucky SOB!

RallyMonkey

« Reply #7 on: 24 Sep 2006, 16:21 »

Well, I checked out The Body, The Blood, The Machine and am digging it quite a bit, especially Here's Your Future. I like how both Happy Hollow and The Body, The Blood, The Machine have the common religious theme.

I will check out some Chin up Chin Up next.

Another reason for those of you who don't have the pleasure to see what I am sure will be a great show is that it's taking place at the local scene place. Where 90% of the people don't actually care about the music that is being played. (that's not just a stereotype off of the clothes that they were, I know a lot of the regulars there, and none of them care about the music at all).

But yes, my friends and I are going to have a good time. Good price too.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #8 on: 24 Sep 2006, 21:41 »

I can't seem to get into Chin Up Chin Up. I mean, they sound pretty good, but they just don't grab me like I expected them to from what I'd read. Ah well.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

chamberk

« Reply #9 on: 24 Sep 2006, 22:24 »

I really like the Thermals.  "Pillar of Salt" is probably one of the best songs of 2006.

Cursive, on the other hand, has really disappointed me.  I don't like the new direction that the band went at all.  The horns sound terrible... I miss the cello.

Recent Vintage

« Reply #10 on: 24 Sep 2006, 22:30 »

I've heard the Thermals on the radio a couple of times, and they struck me as really good, and this thread has reminded me to go and get one of their albums.

RallyMonkey

« Reply #11 on: 25 Sep 2006, 22:26 »

Am I the only one who really digs the line "Fear me again, know I'm your father. Remember that no one can breath under water."

valley_parade

• coprophage
Re: The Thermals and Chin Up Chin Up
« Reply #12 on: 27 Sep 2006, 18:08 »

Downloaded a few Chin Up Chin Up songs the other day. Meh.

It's good as background music, but I don't like it by itself.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

rage

Re: The Thermals and Chin Up Chin Up
« Reply #13 on: 29 Sep 2006, 13:40 »

Am I the only one who really digs the line "Fear me again, know I'm your father. Remember that no one can breath under water."

7 posts above yours. Best lyric on the whole album.
Pages: [1]   Go Up