THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 16 May 2024, 15:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The Wii Thread  (Read 49278 times)

lil_rebbitzen

Re: The Wii Thread
« Reply #50 on: 28 Oct 2006, 01:31 »

I was unable to preorder a Wii, since the campers got all the preorders.

Which means I will be at either Best Buy or Target (neither of which will be preordering, If I remember correctly.) to get mine. Then I'll go to EBGAMES to pick up my copy of Zelda for the Wii. That will be my last purchase from EBGames. After that, I plan on using the GameStop near my house for my gaming needs. They're nicer.

nihilist

« Reply #51 on: 28 Oct 2006, 02:06 »

EBGames is GameStop.

HFrankenstein

• Emoticontraindication
  • El Bueno!!
    • Hindrances to Progress
« Reply #52 on: 28 Oct 2006, 07:25 »

EBGames is GameStop.

Eh, kind of.  GameStop bought out EB, but my understanding is that Gamestop doesn't plan to disolve the Electronics Boutique brand.

Pointless nitpicking, though.

Anyway, yeah, especially when it comes to the Wii, hardcore campout preordering, to which I must admit my own guilt (I camped out at my local GameStop for two hours before they opened to get my preorder), is probably not going to be necessary.  The launch quantities are going to be more than sufficient.  You might not get one on the first day, but anyone who wants one before the end of the year will probably be able to get one without any trouble.

The most important thing to do, if you don't get it on day one, is to keep tabs on your local stores.  Call them every day and ask if they have it that day.  If you can get to know the manager of one of them, do so.  He or she will probably be glad to help you out.  That's how I got my DS on day one: I used to know the manager of an EB.
Hindrances to Progress Games to get in the way of your dreams!

Grawsith

« Reply #53 on: 28 Oct 2006, 08:21 »

I'm in Oz, and I just strolled in, sold my 360, and preordered late September. Now I've fully paid it off and can just walk right in, flash my ID, and walk out with the Wii, Zelda, and Red Steel. Kickass!

(And before you ask, i sold it because i was bored with it.)

lil_rebbitzen

« Reply #54 on: 29 Oct 2006, 17:46 »

Hey, does anyone know definitely know if the Wii is region-free? That sort of determines if we can order off of Play Asia...theirs are Japanese.

EBGames is GameStop.

Well, in a way yes, since Gamestop bought them, or merged or whatever. But I'm referring to them seperately because of the ones near my house (there's 3 GS's, 1 EB; it gets confusing around here, so...). I've just had a lot better experience with Gamestop than I've had with EBGames.
« Last Edit: 29 Oct 2006, 17:52 by lil_rebbitzen »

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #55 on: 30 Oct 2006, 22:29 »

I camped out last night and scored me one sweet preorder. Oh yes!
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

HFrankenstein

• Emoticontraindication
  • El Bueno!!
    • Hindrances to Progress
« Reply #56 on: 31 Oct 2006, 03:06 »

Hey, does anyone know definitely know if the Wii is region-free?

Nope.  It won't.  Perrin accidentally blurted out that it would be, but that was corrected almost immediately.
Hindrances to Progress Games to get in the way of your dreams!

Misguider

« Reply #57 on: 31 Oct 2006, 05:25 »

The wii is my top priority now. Ive got the wii, an extrawiimoteand nunchuck attachment pre ordered. Ive even got 3 or 4 games to get on launch date...And im still paying less than I would for a ps3. :-P

Alegis

« Reply #58 on: 15 Nov 2006, 16:23 »

pre-ordered

Wii
Twilight Princess (Wii)
Component Cable

For those with HDTV, get yourself the Wii component cable. It costs ~30? but it is worth it according to all reviews, quality is much better (especially colors).

Oh man! Zelda will rock!

Mnementh

« Reply #59 on: 15 Nov 2006, 18:10 »

A friend works for Toys 'R Us.  He's stashing one aside for me, I have to be at the store up in NH early Sunday morning.

will: wanton sex god

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #60 on: 16 Nov 2006, 00:24 »

pre-ordered

Wii
Twilight Princess (Wii)
Component Cable

For those with HDTV, get yourself the Wii component cable. It costs ~30? but it is worth it according to all reviews, quality is much better (especially colors).

Oh man! Zelda will rock!

i would if my tv even supported component input

after the wii and a new guitar=lcd widescreen tv :)

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #61 on: 16 Nov 2006, 10:07 »

One of my coworker's friends works at a Target, so I'm gonna give him some money and he'll buy one for me when they open on Sunday.

Between the system and Zelda, I'm out 325 bucks. But I said I'd buy it if I could find it, and I can.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Tyrranizer

« Reply #62 on: 17 Nov 2006, 21:11 »

I want to get a Wii so bad, but the only thing I'm worried about is a complete lack of support for the system over here. The Gamecube got basiclt no support over here (ever since I bought one, all the games I've purchased came from overseas or used game stores, I haven't been able to find one retail store that orders Gamecube games. As much as I want a Wii, it's not worth paying a fortune in shipping and taxes for each game I want, I might end up buying a PS3 because I won't have any other choice. Well that, and the fact that it'll be priced the same as a 360 over here.

Alegis

« Reply #63 on: 17 Nov 2006, 23:11 »

Reading everything I can find on Twilight Princess. This game will be massive fun : D

On gamerankings (average % the game gets from all reviews) Zelda: Twilight Princess scores 98%  8-)

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/928519.asp

Grawsith

« Reply #64 on: 18 Nov 2006, 03:59 »

... the only thing I'm worried about is a complete lack of support for the system over here.

Tyranizer: Over where? Your profile doesn't say.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #65 on: 18 Nov 2006, 11:10 »

Nintendo's always been incredibly over-protective of its characters, and essentially, if it's got 'Legend of Zelda' on it, it's gonna be really fucking good because Nintendo relies on keeping those names associated with amazing games in order to sell their stuff. To an extent, all of Nintendo's consoles had an automatic appeal because you would only be able to play Zelda and Mario (and Metroid and Kirby and so on) on them. In fact, that was more or less the only thing the Gamecube had going for it. In this case, it took something like 3 years for them to finally get to the point where they were happy with it, but I'm sure it will totally be worth the wait.

Misguider

« Reply #66 on: 19 Nov 2006, 04:13 »

Where I am( In Newfoundland.) The wii launch is in about 12 hours. I cant wait. I even have a big side fund to buy upcoming games.

Alegis

« Reply #67 on: 19 Nov 2006, 05:29 »

Dec 8th. Play a bit of zelda until I start studying for my exams... Will be troublesome.

After that I'll see which games I'll buy/get review samples from. For now all I want is FRIGGINZ ELDA SIQPOIOISOPQIDQSd!!!

dennis

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • A sockful of quarters makes the medicine go down.
    • Lies! Truth!
« Reply #68 on: 20 Nov 2006, 00:13 »

IT'S AWESOME.

It's like the day the NES came out. Excitebike was a ridiculously simple game, but it was so innovative that it was amazing.

Although I think camping out last night made me ill. And they ran out of extra nunchuks.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #69 on: 20 Nov 2006, 00:59 »

I have one in my living room right now and I didn't even have to camp out!

Long story behind that, but I am playing Zelda and so I am really fucking happy. I played a few rounds of Wii Sports boxing earlier, and that's a ton of fun also. This was totally worth the time and money.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #70 on: 20 Nov 2006, 03:00 »

I would really like to get a Wii, even though the controllers worry me (I forsee many problems with trying to play video games at 3am when I'm trying to endure insomnia) but I just got a Gamecube for my birthday and Twilight Princess is coming out on that too so I really don't need to get one until the price drops a little. Also the Wii shall be way cheaper than the 360 or PS3 here* so that's definately a bonus.

*For "here" read "in Australia".

Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #71 on: 20 Nov 2006, 05:21 »

For "hear" read "in everywhere".  The PS3 is like 2x the cost and the XBox 360 is no slouch in the wallet either
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

nihilist

« Reply #72 on: 20 Nov 2006, 05:46 »

PS3 is > 2x the cost, at least "here" in Canada.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #73 on: 20 Nov 2006, 06:59 »

I caved in and camped for 12 hours.  I was number 9 in a list of 59, which meant I had my pick of games, but I only had 40 left over, so I grabbed another controller.  I got Legend of Zelda, and the whole thing felt like Christmas.  I was just so HAPPY. 
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #74 on: 20 Nov 2006, 07:45 »

I'm gonna buy all the extra controllers and more games later; right now I have Zelda, and that's all I need.

Just finished the Forest Temple, but I'm gonna take a break now because I played it for nearly 7 hours.

ackblom12

« Reply #75 on: 20 Nov 2006, 07:58 »

I hate every one who has a Wii right now.  :-(

Mnementh

« Reply #76 on: 20 Nov 2006, 12:41 »

I "camped" out for 15 minutes and was number 101 out of 102 tickets at a best buy up in Salem, NH.  I got with it an extra remote, zelda, and madden '07.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #77 on: 20 Nov 2006, 12:44 »

I might actually get the Wii version of Madden, since it's the first time that series has done anything new in like, 5 years. And maybe Trauma Center, Monkey Ball, and Rayman too...

Shit, I'm gonna be spending too much money on this thing.

Ragman

« Reply #78 on: 20 Nov 2006, 13:34 »

Got my Wii early and love the damn thing. I was playing Zelda for hours, and, though I did find fishing frustrating, it was beyond awesome. I got through the forest temple, and never have I felt like I really accomplished something in a game. Awesome as games like Shadow of the Collossus, Metroid Prime, Halo and many others were, I now realized how much more satisfying it feels to swing that last blow to the boss yourself.

Also, Storm Rider, even with those four games, the wii and Zelda, you're still under the cost of an actual PS3 (I'm sorry, but to me core system reads as "crap we put out to make money"), so feel proud you can get that many weeks of game play for less than something someone got shot for.

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #79 on: 20 Nov 2006, 17:45 »

Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

dennis

• Lies! Truth!
« Reply #80 on: 20 Nov 2006, 18:41 »

SO TRUE.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #81 on: 20 Nov 2006, 19:48 »

That prettu much sums up what we did.  Most people didn't show up until 4:30 where we were, and we all yelled good luck as they frantically ran off to try and find another store.
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #82 on: 21 Nov 2006, 02:08 »

I wanna play Zelda, but there's a line of 6 people in my room to play Wii Sports.

Bowling + Tennis + Boxing = FUCKING AWESOME.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

nickyandthefuture

• Curry sauce
    • http://www.bigorangecrayon.com
« Reply #83 on: 21 Nov 2006, 02:59 »

I want to get one eventually, but it will require getting a TV first.  In the meantime, one of my friends got one because he works at a video game company (at a discount and pre-release, no less. Dick.)  I haven't played it yet, though.
Blue or plain?
Sometimes orange.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #84 on: 21 Nov 2006, 09:51 »

I hate every one who has a Wii right now.

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wii. Wife's totally fair game now that the wii's out, though.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Reno

« Reply #85 on: 22 Nov 2006, 05:54 »

I bought Red Steel with my Wii

Shrinkwrapped and all that

Just opened it

No disc.........

I am gonna fucking KILL someone!

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #86 on: 22 Nov 2006, 06:56 »

I bought Red Steel with my Wii

Shrinkwrapped and all that

Just opened it

No disc.........

I am gonna fucking KILL someone!

That has apparently happened to a few people, call Nintendo, they'll do something about it.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #87 on: 22 Nov 2006, 07:37 »

Except that you might not really want Red Steel.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #88 on: 22 Nov 2006, 10:02 »

Except that you might not really want Red Steel.

I played it, I think it deserved a 7, graphical issues aside.  That's just me.  But seriously, if you want it, call Nintendo.

dennis

• Lies! Truth!
« Reply #89 on: 23 Nov 2006, 06:37 »

Red Steel sucks. It's like down at ubisoft, they were like "quick, we need to slap together a game that uses the wiimote for the launch!"

it's a generic FPS with the 'mote and 'chuk control scheme slapped on. the story is poor, the gameplay is worse.

ackblom12

« Reply #90 on: 23 Nov 2006, 07:58 »

From every opinion I've goten from people who have played it, all I can get out of it is that you will either love or hate Red Steel.

Seiously, I hear from one perso that it's the worst thing since Kidney Stones and the next guy thinks it's a pretty damn good FPS with a lot of sequel potential.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #91 on: 23 Nov 2006, 10:03 »

Sorry, but I'm not jazzed up for a Wii.? I may get one, but I really don't care one way or the other.? I'm probably going to snag a 360 after the holidays because there are a few games for the system that I want.? I'm a rabid anti-Sony person; not only do I refuse to buy any of their stuff, I will run around and tell everybody else not to buy it as well.

Heh, I've got a 360 and a Wii, they're both worth it.  Zelda alone is a reason to cough up 315 dollars, and Gears of War/Oblivion/Dead Rising/you get the point are all good reasons to cough up slightly more.  I'm not as anti-sony, but I shoot down anyone who's high and mighty about it's prowess.  As of right now, there really isn't reason to get one.  Too many of the games that attracted us to the PS2 are no longer in Sony's pile of stuff that no one can touch.

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #92 on: 23 Nov 2006, 11:46 »

Red Steel sucks. It's like down at ubisoft, they were like "quick, we need to slap together a game that uses the wiimote for the launch!"

it's a generic FPS with the 'mote and 'chuk control scheme slapped on. the story is poor, the gameplay is worse.
Which is a real shame cause ubisoft make some awesome stuff like the new Prince Of Persia games. Linear but very very fun.
And Farcry! Which also means Crysis.
T
hey certainly know how to make a good fps and yet to fail so (apparently) badly is a bit lame.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #93 on: 23 Nov 2006, 21:23 »

Well, I give it props because it had swords and guns, which is what EVERYone wanted to begin with, anyways.  Of course the story sucks, it's another Yakuza type thing.  But I did like being able to flip tables.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #94 on: 24 Nov 2006, 04:40 »

I might actually get the Wii version of Madden, since it's the first time that series has done anything new in like, 5 years. And maybe Trauma Center, Monkey Ball, and Rayman too...

Shit, I'm gonna be spending too much money on this thing.

I've decided to call Madden 07 "OLD YELLING GUY FOOTBALL 07".

Anyway. I don't have a Wii yet. It's not tops on my priority list, (that would be Bruins tickets and DKM tickets), but I definitely plan on getting one...sometime.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Reno

« Reply #95 on: 24 Nov 2006, 05:47 »

I should know tomorrow if I am getting another copy.....but if they dont have it at the store, maybe I can get a copy of Zelda or maybe Call of Duty

dennis

• Lies! Truth!
« Reply #96 on: 24 Nov 2006, 19:23 »

Well, I give it props because it had swords and guns, which is what EVERYone wanted to begin with, anyways.  Of course the story sucks, it's another Yakuza type thing.  But I did like being able to flip tables.
Yeah. I was looking forward to it for the same reasons, but it just didn't live up to its potential.

The sword episodes are pretty contrived: you put away your shotgun or uzi or P99 or whatever, pull out a sword and go head to head with a guy who is just standing there? wtf. additionally, it's too mechanical. you wait for the opponent to strike, parry/doge, and riposte. there are essentially only three moves, with mirror images. The Bushido Blade titles on the PS1/2 had better mechanics.

I also don't like how you've got to keep the wiimote on the screen at all times because of its edge panning mechanic. It's irritating. the Zelda game's mechanic is far better.

Mnementh

« Reply #97 on: 26 Nov 2006, 08:28 »

Wii numbers guys!

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #98 on: 26 Nov 2006, 10:17 »

What, like sales numbers? How much you've been playing it?

I got Trauma Center yesterday. It's fun, but I'm really bad at it.

Mnementh

« Reply #99 on: 26 Nov 2006, 10:52 »

they're so you can share Mii's and send each other messages.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up