THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 May 2024, 00:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Tragically Hip, anyone?  (Read 6287 times)

Firefly

The Tragically Hip, anyone?
« on: 12 Dec 2006, 08:26 »

Who likes and/or knows of The Tragically Hip (occasionally referred to as The Hip)?

I really don't know toooo much about them, but lately I've really been getting into them, I mean I've known they've been floating around for ages, but only lately have I really started listening to their songs. And a bunch of my friends are going to go see them live in Victoria after new years, which is pretty durn sweet.

So yes, if you know of The Tragically Hip what are you favourite albums and/or songs?

(Ahead By A Century's always good)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGMMjNnjGTk

SeanBateman

Re: The Tragically Hip, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2006, 09:07 »

I have been wanting to check them out ever since that dude Gordon Downie got namedropped in Scott Pilgrim.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2006, 09:24 »

God almighty are The Hip good. My favourite records are Fully Completely, Phantom Power and In Violet Light. The new one, World Container, is supposed to be stunning.

Also, I wanted "Ahead By A Century" to be my grad song but it got voted out in favour of The Calling. Boooo.

Also also, I think their current tour is with The Sadies as the opening act. If so, you're in for a treat.
« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2006, 09:26 by Johnny C »
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

SeanBateman

« Reply #3 on: 12 Dec 2006, 09:27 »

Johnny, you should YSI this band for me

pat101

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • A Minor Mass
« Reply #4 on: 12 Dec 2006, 09:38 »

Well being Canadian and all I of course know of The Hip. I'm not a huge fan though I'd be willing to give it a try, I saw them live once and I will say they put on a great show.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #5 on: 12 Dec 2006, 11:16 »

I bought Music @ Work a while ago based ONLY on the strength of the cover art, but the only song I still like is the title song.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

pat101

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • A Minor Mass
« Reply #6 on: 12 Dec 2006, 11:17 »

I bought Music @ Work a while ago based ONLY on the strength of the cover art, but the only song I still like is the title song.

whoa me too. That title track's great though.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #7 on: 12 Dec 2006, 11:48 »

I've never listened to them, but it seems to me that they're the Candian version of Silverchair or Oasis: they're really big in their home country, but nobody else really gives a shit.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

sjbrot

« Reply #8 on: 12 Dec 2006, 12:10 »

I'm personally all about In Between Evolution and Phantom Planet, the former being a record with so many simply indispensible songs on it. They are indeed a great band.

The upcoming tour. Yes, the Sadies are opening. Yes, I might mostly be going for them. I would see the young Brothers Good a million times before I got sick of them. It is kinda silly to be spending this much money on such a thing, but I enjoy both bands a lot, and I just had a credit card when tickets went on sale.

How's everyone feeling about World Container? I don't think it is terrible, but it certainly isn't close to my favorite. On about half the tracks, they seem to be just towing the line. I've read some reviews talking about how the Hip like to balance more pop, accessible records with more experimental or inaccessible records, which was certainly part of the problem with Music @ Work. I don't think that's the case here though. A lot of intensity, but not enough of the rest.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #9 on: 12 Dec 2006, 12:48 »

I've been told good things about the new record, but I have only heard the single which, to be honest, is butchered in the video.

Firefly

« Reply #10 on: 12 Dec 2006, 12:58 »

I've never listened to them, but it seems to me that they're the Candian version of Silverchair or Oasis: they're really big in their home country, but nobody else really gives a shit.

Haha, no way, Silverchair is a more harsh sounding rock and they can even get a bit punk on occasion. Hip seems to delve into more an almost blues persuasion. More mellowed out acoustic stuff. I find Silverchair to get either downright angry or depressing.
I still like Silverchair quite a lot, ooh I think I'm going to go dig up my sister's copy of Diorama, I've kind of put them on the back shelf for a while.

Although I'm sure you're right about the Canadian thing :-P which is a slight shame in my opinion.
I still don't understand how so many people will give a shit about Celin Dion but not The Hip.

Durn, eh?

For some reason I would associate Silverchair with Nirvana...

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: 12 Dec 2006, 18:36 »

He didn't mean sonically similiar, he meant in terms of how well they are known within their home countries but almost completely disregarded outside them.

And a fucking good thing too, especially with Oasis.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #12 on: 13 Dec 2006, 01:15 »

Well kinda. But with the Hip it's a shame because they're, you know, pretty good.

Firefly

« Reply #13 on: 13 Dec 2006, 02:04 »

Ah, of course, yeah ok that makes a good deal more sense. It certainly helps to read a post correctly. I'm a right bright 'un, I am. :roll:

denn

« Reply #14 on: 13 Dec 2006, 15:18 »

I own 8 of their albums, and the live album is one of my most loved possessions.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #15 on: 13 Dec 2006, 23:33 »

I haven't listened to them in ages. If I recall correctly, Up To Here is my favorite album and 38 Years Old used to be one of my favorite songs, but Phantom Power is the one to use to introduce someone. I quite love Fireworks, excellent love song. "You said you didn't give a fuck about hockey, and I never saw someone say that before."
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

dancarter

• Curry sauce
    • http://dancarter.deviantart.com
« Reply #16 on: 14 Dec 2006, 18:37 »

I know it may be heresy to say that I'm not really particular to The Hip, especially considering I'm Canadian and that's like not enjoying hockey or Tim Horton's coffee, but I could never really get into them for a long period of time.  And Gord Downie is the reason.  His voice can only be taken in controlled doses and he's ridculous live.  That man is such a twitch factory.

That being said, I really did like Day For Night as an album and will still occasionally put it on.  Scared remains one of my favorite songs.

the_tard

« Reply #17 on: 17 Dec 2006, 13:01 »

I've heard their stuff before but never really knew it was them. I downloaded purchased a few of their songs and I am really enjoying "Courage", "Little Bones", "Grace, Too" and "Boots or Hearts"

Gimpy

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #18 on: 08 Jan 2007, 05:04 »

I have two of their albums,Road Apples and Trouble At the Henhouse,quality rock albums.I find that they're good canadian band that not enough people my age listen to.

demonkind

« Reply #19 on: 08 Jan 2007, 18:36 »

I like and know the tragically hip.

The only two albums I've got are Phantom Power and live between us. Both are great, but I prefer the live album (I usually do).

I got introduced to them back when I was dating a Canadian, but they're actually pretty well-known here (Netherlands).

But most Canadians my age, are totally crazy about them. At least looking at the couple of Canadians I know/knew.
Pages: [1]   Go Up