THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 10 Jun 2024, 16:17
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Demos we overplay.  (Read 3816 times)

Observer

Demos we overplay.
« on: 25 Jan 2007, 06:42 »

I don't know what it is about demos- some of them are just packed with shiny goodness that attracts me more than even the full game.

I'm curious specifically what demos have had this effect on you guys.

For myself:
Tribes: Vengeance MP Demo
UT 2004 MP Demo
Savage: The Battle for Newerth Demo

And, foremost, Might and Magic: Dark Messiah SP demo. Tonight I got back on it, briefly, and did the second level with alternating hands tied behind my back, and then with feet.

I beat the fucking level with my feet.

Anyhow, what about y'all?

thepugs

Re: Demos we overplay.
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2007, 09:13 »

There's this thing called the bittorrent.
I hear that when games come out, usually a few days before their actual release, you can download them on the intertubes.

Just a rumor though.

Observer

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jan 2007, 09:17 »

's called stealing.

thepugs

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jan 2007, 09:19 »

's'called being poor.  If you like the game, buy it.

I'm not about to spend upwards of $50-60 for a game I don't end up liking.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #4 on: 25 Jan 2007, 09:34 »

If you like a demo so much... why not, you know, go buy the full game?

I did that with Burnout Revenge, and the best part is that it came out a while ago so it was only 30 dollars! It's supposed to be here on Friday.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Observer

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jan 2007, 09:47 »

The primary reason would be that I'm cheap. $60 means considerably more when you only make $8 an hour, and work only (VERY) part time.
Also, I have just way too many games collecting dust to justify buying every new one that comes along.

Am I alone in the excessive demo-ing, then?

Tartar Martyr

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jan 2007, 11:54 »

When the UT2k4 demo came out my friends and I played it to DEATH.  Every night Monday-Thursday we would play from 10 to ~midnight over the network in our dorm.  It was sooooo good.

Then the full version came out and we raided the CS trash and "borrowed" some pieces to set up a server... and all of came very close to failing.

I swear, College Dorms are set up better for multiplayer gaming than they are for anything else.  You are never short on players, the PC's are in close enough proximity to eachother that you don't have to move them to hear your team mates, the network is built in... it is perfect.

nihilist

« Reply #7 on: 26 Jan 2007, 07:42 »

The Soldier of Fortune 2 MP beta.  Played it for probably six months before the game came out.  Oh, those were the days.

Scytale

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jan 2007, 18:30 »

Jeez I haven't played a demo for years, the last would have to have been the shareware version of Quake, I played that to death.

Toeofdoom

« Reply #9 on: 27 Jan 2007, 03:04 »

No demo beats a free MMO

Good examples are anarchy online and space cowboy. Bad examples include tibia and runescape.

Those games are cool :)

And free games are cool... gta, gta 2, skifree, flash games, soldat  etc.... i play them way too much >.>

and i always have the sims 2 to fall back on.

Scytale

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jan 2007, 03:28 »

Jeez I remember paying for GTA :(

Toeofdoom

« Reply #11 on: 27 Jan 2007, 04:01 »

eh, it was probably worth it.

and... LOOKATMYSHINYNEWAVATAR

uhmm... but yeah... I rarely pay for games i guess. recently i suppose MMO subscriptions a bit, but not any more. And sims 2 and the star trek armada games were the only other ones in the past 5 years...

The extra letter

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #12 on: 27 Jan 2007, 04:08 »

I overplayed the Painkiller demo. Sure, mindless violence and shootingness didn't really translate to a full-priced game, but the demo was awesome. Staking monsters to things was the best!

It was like a return to the old days of mindless violence and shootingness like ROTT, Doom and Duke Nukem 3D.
Hush, may I ask you all for silence? The dreamer is still asleep.

Evil_Lathander

• Larger than most fish
  • Fighting The World
« Reply #13 on: 27 Jan 2007, 12:48 »

I remember when the demo for Quake 1 was released, I was still playing it 5 months after the complete version was released...
HUMANITY CAN SUCK MY HARDDRIVE

Dimsey

« Reply #14 on: 28 Jan 2007, 20:49 »

Currently I've been playing a lot of the Crackdown demo that was recently released for the 360.
I don't think I'll ever tire of kicking over cars, heh.

Aside from recent stuff the only demo I vaguely remember playing a hell of a lot would be one for Age of Empires.
I played the hell out of that thing and for years, til I actually had some form of income with which to buy the full thing..
Also by which time Age of Empires 2 was out and I received it as a present, making my purchase of AoE 1 pretty much...
Pointless.

But still, was good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up