THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 06 Jun 2024, 11:17
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I saw Deerhoof last night  (Read 5746 times)

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
I saw Deerhoof last night
« on: 30 Sep 2007, 17:35 »

Man I'm excited you guys. Friend Opportunity is one of my favorite albums of the year and when I had absorbed it completely I went and got their entire back catalogue. I like their more recent stuff more but they're pretty much just an amazing band.

My girlfriend, who usually puts up pretty well with my wacky music tastes but doesn't care for Deerhoof that much, is coming along. Hopefully the show will help convince her that the band is sweet.

I'll try and take pictures and post again after the show.
« Last Edit: 03 Oct 2007, 19:04 by Valrus »
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
  • if it has a toothpick in it, it's free!
Re: I'm going to see Deerhoof in 2 days
« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2007, 17:48 »

Lucky! Deerhoof is incredible and awesome live as well. You will have heaps of fun.
it's time to stop posting

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #2 on: 30 Sep 2007, 17:54 »

oh man I am so envious. Deerhoof are definitely one of my favorite bands ever.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Baggy

« Reply #3 on: 30 Sep 2007, 18:25 »

this guy is jealous. 

roint

« Reply #4 on: 01 Oct 2007, 04:10 »

Your girlfriend will probably like it. I've never seen a band rock harder than deerhoof. The drummer plays like he's trying to fight the drumst for this life. Satomi has sweet dance moves. I've seen them live and it blew my mind how powerful a three piece could sound (especially while singing about bunnies, ghosts and castles), and also the show was just fun as all hell. I remember the drumset looked like it was yanked out of a dumpster; it had massive rips and cracks in the cymbals and more by the end of the night.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: 01 Oct 2007, 05:55 »

I'm not jealous, but I am providing a diversity of opinion!
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #6 on: 01 Oct 2007, 07:43 »

Yeah, I actually don't like Deerhoof.

I do like the Lawrence Arms, though! And I'm going to see them in two weeks.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #7 on: 01 Oct 2007, 09:26 »

Saw Deerhoof in Chicago this January. It was fucking amazing, though I wanted more when they were done.

Valrus

• moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #8 on: 03 Oct 2007, 19:04 »

Wow. Okay, I didn't get any pictures because I left my camera in my bag, which I put in a locker. This was a grievous error on my part.

The show was incredible. I never thought I would go to a rock (or whatever the fuck it is Deerhoof plays) concert and spend 75% or more of the time watching the drummer, but that's exactly what happened, because Greg Saunier is a fucking wizard. He broke at least 3 or 4 drumsticks over the course of the show. Half of one of them flew ten feet into the air in a perfect parabola and before it hit the ground, Saunier had dropped the other half and continued playing seamlessly with one stick while he picked up a fresh one from the pile at his feet. During the quieter parts of the first song, he pantomimed flailing around and beating the shit out of his drums without touching them. I'm not sure but I think he also had a slapstick routine going on for a while where he would pretend to be a butterfingers and drop his sticks, while still maintaining a perfect beat. Every so often he would grimace mightily, arch his back, raise a stick over his head, and I would grimace at how hard he was about to wallop that snare, and then...

nothing

He would heave a great sigh and lower the sticks to his sides. It never failed to crack me up.

The guitarist wasn't so much of a showman but he was just as incredible. Satomi was just pretty much adorable.

The songs fucking crackled. I've been to some good shows but never have I had the concert experience so thoroughly out-energy the recordings as this one did, and Deerhoof albums aren't exactly subdued affairs in the first place.

Overall, an amazing experience. I loved it, my girlfriend loved it even though she wasn't crazy about the music before, it was only $12, the opening band was a bluegrass band but still excellent, and it was long enough that I got my money's worth but short enough that I didn't get home too late, since after all it was a school night. I'm kicking myself for not getting pictures.

If you have a chance to see Deerhoof, I recommend you take it even if you don't like their music. They put on a hell of a show.

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
Re: I saw Deerhoof last night
« Reply #9 on: 03 Oct 2007, 20:28 »

Hell, I'd see it.  But you damn well better be right.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #10 on: 03 Oct 2007, 20:28 »

so jealous
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
  • if it has a toothpick in it, it's free!
« Reply #11 on: 03 Oct 2007, 23:05 »

Dang when I saw them they were opening for Radiohead so it was a short set and it was also before Friend Opportunity and man I thought that performance was awesome already!
it's time to stop posting

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #12 on: 04 Oct 2007, 07:09 »

One of my favorite things about the Deerhoof show I saw is that they had to change some songs live to fit their 3 member line-up. So the guitarist was essentially trying to cover for two guitarists on some songs. Also, I love when they play medleys of songs, though it doesn't approach the Fiery Furnaces kind of medley I'm sure.

Valrus

• moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #13 on: 04 Oct 2007, 08:27 »

I wore my Fiery Furnaces shirt because I read in Saunier's huge blog post thing that they had toured together. But I was way up in a balcony so it wasn't like it mattered :|

DarthCat

« Reply #14 on: 08 Oct 2007, 22:49 »

I saw them back in a little venue back in February for my birthday - I even got to talk to Satomi and Greg (for perhaps a minute) after the show - it was fantastic (and the show kicked ass, too)!

jimbunny

• I'll show you the life of the mind!
« Reply #15 on: 09 Oct 2007, 10:09 »

Half of one of them flew ten feet into the air in a perfect parabola and before it hit the ground...

Sorry, this phrase will not leave me alone. Some people are just hopelessly pedantic, and I am one of them. The thought strikes me, however, that most if not all projectiles given some upward and sideways momentum will follow a (nearly) perfect parabolic path.

Sounds like a great show. I might get into the band now.

kablaaamo

« Reply #16 on: 09 Oct 2007, 10:44 »

Half of one of them flew ten feet into the air in a perfect parabola and before it hit the ground...

Sorry, this phrase will not leave me alone. Some people are just hopelessly pedantic, and I am one of them. The thought strikes me, however, that most if not all projectiles given some upward and sideways momentum will follow a (nearly) perfect parabolic path.

Hee hee, I was totally thinking the same thing. And I can confirm that all projectiles DO follow a parabolic curve. Ahem.

Sounds fucking amazing though, especially since I usually end up watching the drummer at shows anyways. I've never really gotten into Deerhoof but if they are crazy and energetic and the drummer's a great showman I would be so so there when they toured my town.

Valrus

• moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #17 on: 13 Oct 2007, 12:17 »

YES OK PROJECTILE MOTION IS ALWAYS PARABOLIC

I just thought it sounded better that way geez
Pages: [1]   Go Up