THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 08 Jun 2024, 22:09
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Instrumental music that evokes emotions  (Read 22567 times)

Chickenbutt

Re: Instrumental music that evokes emotions
« Reply #50 on: 12 Jun 2007, 11:43 »

I'll call your "Echoes", and raise you one "Careful With That Axe, Eugene".

damn you, I'm gonna have to fold, ummagumma is the only pink floyd studio album i dont own, I think im gonna go dl it now.

"any colour you like" makes me feel like I'm driving through downtown las vegas with my head out the sunroof and I'm passing all those neon signs.

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #51 on: 12 Jun 2007, 14:28 »

Things like symphonies or other works performed by a large orchestra are great for the "big sound", but the first thing I thought of was solo acoustic piano or solo acoustic guitar for evoking pure emotion. To me, it doesn't get any more personal than someone who knows their way around an instrument. When I hear a sad, contemplative piece on guitar or piano, and just have to close my eyes and sink into it. Ahhhh!

I've had acoustic pieces bring me to tears because they were so beautiful. That's a level of emotion I just don't get with electronic music (though I do like my electric guitars and synthesizers for rocking out).
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

RyanT

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #52 on: 12 Jun 2007, 17:14 »

For overtones, think of a trumpet (or any other brass instrument for that matter).  If you play with open valves, the notes you can play are as follows:  C, G, C, E, G, etc...  I don't know all the notes above that, partly because I don't play trumpet...  But yes, the first few, and most audible, overtones create a major triad.  After these notes, the intervals continue getting smaller and smaller.

But then you have to remember, the intervals don't fit into our modern scale.  The intervals get smaller, but not in line with our scale.  There's equal temperament tuning, well temperament, just intonation, and quite a few other tuning methods.  By actual science, the scale we use today is "out of tune".  The reason we use it though is because back before it, if you transposed or modulated to another key, or even if you jumped an octave or two, it would sound very different from your original key.  That's why Bach wrote The Well-Tempered Klavier, and that's why Benjamin Britten's Serenade for Tenor, Horn, and Strings, which uses a natural horn, sounds "out of tune".

It's a really interesting concept, all the different tuning methods, that a lot of composers explore at school.  I mean, most of us grow up thinking that the scale we always hear is the only way to tune... 

fish across face

• The German Chancellory building
  • Fugu, I won't do what you tell me.
« Reply #53 on: 13 Jun 2007, 06:09 »

This overtones stuff is really interesting, I don't know much about it. I started an acoustics course at university, but I found the lecturer so boring that I quit.  Dumb me.

I remember Eno saying he went through a period of getting distracted just holding down the sustain pedal on a piano and hitting a single key as hard as possible... just listening to the quietly ascending notes that tail off... gave it a try once, but it was in the middle of a party, so mainly everyone thought I was really hot and tried to have sex with me.  No wait.  It wasn't quite like that.

I also remember that bells have pretty dissonant overtones, which may help to explain why no gamelan tunings go near an even-tempered scale...

RyanT

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #54 on: 13 Jun 2007, 08:25 »

Well, Gamelan is just intentionally tuned a little bit off from each other.  You always buy the gamelan instruments as an entire ensemble and they're always just a tiny bit out of tune with each other in order to give that characteristic little bite of distortion.

As far as bells, though, they definitely are interesting.  Arvo Part has spent a good chunk of his life studying and composing in the style of Tintinnabulation, a term he's coined that deals with the overtones of bells.   

rabidcentipede

• Not quite a lurker
  • o.o
    • RabidCentipede
« Reply #55 on: 21 Jun 2007, 08:08 »

I'll call your "Echoes", and raise you one "Careful With That Axe, Eugene".

Yeah, as some people above have said, Echoes, One of These Days, etc.

A lot of Pink Floyd songs, such as Mudmen, Any Colour You Like, Interstellar Overdrive  :lol:, Atom Heart Mother, Obscured By Clouds/When You're In,  On The Run, and Terminal Frost.

Now for some non-Pink Floyd songs:

YYZ - Rush
Almost anything by Jean Michael Jarre

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #56 on: 21 Jun 2007, 08:12 »

Okay, so, tell me if I'm wrong, I'm just kind of guessing out of the blue, but, I have this hunch that you might like Pink Floyd

is this correct sir
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

rabidcentipede

• Not quite a lurker
  • o.o
    • RabidCentipede
« Reply #57 on: 21 Jun 2007, 08:18 »

that may perhaps be just the slightest bit true... *glances around shadily*
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up