THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 11 Jun 2024, 17:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Disturbing?  (Read 5812 times)

greyhawk80

Let me preface this by saying I've never seen this show. I've read about it, seen the stills and illustrations, but haven't pulled up an episode.

To all those who have seen this show: Is it as disturbing as it looks on the surface (and in its advertising)? I mean, every ad I see screams "Hey I'm a school girl in a uniform! Ooogle me!" (not to mention some of the stuff packed in the special edition dvds)

I read the press and hear everyone gushing about this show and am honestly tempted. Yet the fact that it is so rabidly popular with a massive following of otaku (not the good kind, mind you; the bad, middle aged, smelly, "does nothing but watch" kind) gives me pause.

Ye gods, its like Azumanga Daioh! all over again...

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch
Re: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Disturbing?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Aug 2007, 23:08 »

It's an anime, so of course it's a little bizarre...but it's totally worth watching! It's cute, funny, and it's got everything --a bit of romance, fan service, aliens...

Check it out. It is really cute, and if you don't like it, well you don't like it, but you shouldn't write it off just 'cause it looks odd.

Noct

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #2 on: 29 Aug 2007, 23:20 »

It's quite odd, and yes there is the oogle factor, but it's also charming and smarter than you'd think from quick little glimpses.  The episodes happen out of chronological order, and it really wouldn't work any other way.  Also, they save the universe... or do they?

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • I'm a lion, and I'm flyin'.
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: 30 Aug 2007, 12:36 »

watching it now...
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"

greyhawk80

« Reply #4 on: 31 Aug 2007, 04:16 »

It's an anime, so of course it's a little bizarre...but it's totally worth watching! It's cute, funny, and it's got everything --a bit of romance, fan service, aliens...

Check it out. It is really cute, and if you don't like it, well you don't like it, but you shouldn't write it off just 'cause it looks odd.

I don't have a problem with cute. Fanservice with underaged characters is kinda icky, but cute I'm fine with. *points to his old fansub tapes of Kodomo no Omocha as proof*

thehoopiestfrood

« Reply #5 on: 31 Aug 2007, 15:41 »

Hahaha a girl came to our Mentor Training Day at college dressed in a schoolgirl outfit from this. I upset her by asking her if she was meant to be someone from Sailor Moon (when they are schoolgirls).

ThePQ4

« Reply #6 on: 31 Aug 2007, 21:40 »

Well, here's a Youtube Link for the 1st part (of 3, I'm sure the other two parts aren't hard to find) for the first episode. You can decide for yourself. Like was mentioned, the episodes are kind of out of order, and this one is a little...bizarre.

Like my friend Afro-Brian suggested: watch it as though it was a student film. That helps...a little.

Noct

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #7 on: 01 Sep 2007, 01:58 »

Keep in mind that episode 1 of the series is completely unlike the rest of the series, as it takes the form of a student film festival entry (a later plot point).  It's not really representative of the series as the whole, but as long as you get what's going on, it's definitely one of the best first episodes of any series.

Also, a lot of the fan service is very self aware, and so utterly ridiculous that it's not quite as icky as most.  At least, that's how it seems to be.

pentaen

• Furry furrier
« Reply #8 on: 01 Sep 2007, 13:29 »

Whole season streaming http://www.otaku-station.com/haruhisuzumiya/index.htm  :-D also it gives you the ability to watch it chronologicaly if you want

pentaen

• Furry furrier
« Reply #9 on: 01 Sep 2007, 13:34 »

should i do this out of or in order?

ThePQ4

« Reply #10 on: 01 Sep 2007, 19:04 »

Do it in order. It's more fun that way. Watching it all chronologically takes away half of the point of enjoying the series, which is saying, "Whaaaaa????" at the beginning of every episode.

Noct

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #11 on: 02 Sep 2007, 02:28 »

Agreed, most definitely watch them in the order they aired, rather than chronological order.  It would be like watching Memento for the first time, backwards.  Just no fun at all.

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • I'm a lion, and I'm flyin'.
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: 02 Sep 2007, 11:57 »

its not exactly disturbing
but boring
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"

ThePQ4

« Reply #13 on: 02 Sep 2007, 17:06 »

Boring??!!

Blasphemer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up