THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 08 Jun 2024, 19:49
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Magazines: Quaterlies, Monthlies, Annuals, etc. and etc. ...  (Read 6035 times)

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(

What do you read?
What do you like about them?
What's in a typical issue?

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar

Game Informer, Pop Sci, and a bunch of political magazines

I'm a nerd, shut up.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW

I like the Economist. It tends to be center-right in its editorial stance but the analysis is pretty excellent. I'll likely get an online subscription once I become a Poli Sci major for reals.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Blue Kitty

• Twitter

EGM and Shonen Jump.  I am thinking about getting rid of EGM because I usually just check their reviews on their site, as well as watching their 1 Up show, but then again it may be dying all by itself.

Uber Ritter

• Curry sauce

I like the Economist. It tends to be center-right in its editorial stance but the analysis is pretty excellent. I'll likely get an online subscription once I become a Poli Sci major for reals.
Me too.  The fact that it's the only news magazine in significant circulation that covers events on every continent in every issue is an enormous plus--you just don't get that kind of global perspective from American newsmagazines (though Fareed Zakaria makes Newsweek worth reading, from time to time).  Also, center-right doesn't quite capture the Economist's politics--market pragmatism, perhaps--their views on Global Warming and what to do about it, for instance, are left of center by American standards (yes, I know this is because scientifically speaking large portions of the American right still live in caves, for ideological reasons).

The New Yorker and the Atlantic Monthly are both quite good.
I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves.
-Ludwig Wittgenstein

MadassAlex

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "Tasteful"?

Guitar Techniques.

This is basically the holy grail of guitar magazines, and this is why:

- It covers just about every genre and technique
- Has a wide, varied selections of studies each issue
- Doesn't pander to what's popular at the time
- Provides genuinely eye-opening and progressive lessons that introduce new musical and theoretical concepts
- Teaches one how to apply genre-specific techniques to other situations

For instance, Guitar Techniques just finished running a series of three lessons with the Brazilian metal guitar virtuoso Kiko Loureiro. He talked about arpeggiation, alternate picking and hybrid picking and made clear the importance of making technical exercises into musical ones.
Jazz educations is a regular part of the magazine, where the harmony of complex chords and more specific scales is explained in full, with examples, tracks and musicians that favour them.

mberan42

• Fry... You're my friend...
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor

I have had a subscription to National Geographic since I was a little kid.

Stop Smiling is probably my favourite magazine. I don't think they have put out a single issue that I didn't find interesting. It's a very visually appealing magazine. I like that they do two covers.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

That looks really interesting (and it's got Slim Charles on the cover!) can you subscribe outside of Chi-town?
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor

Center right for Britain, which is still somewhat left-of-middle for America. They're actually liberal by the standard international meaning in every sense - culturally, internationally and economically.

Anyway, I read the Economist too, and Newsweek. I used to read Game Informer but the subscription died while I was at school and I just never got it renewed. Sometimes I'll read Rolling Stone.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor

That looks really interesting (and it's got Slim Charles on the cover!) can you subscribe outside of Chi-town?

Yep. I think you should be able to find it in most bookstores, too. That's where I got my first issue.

Allybee

• The German Chancellory building

matt beran I loooove seed. don't read it regularly but it makes me feel like hey, being a scientist might be cool.

I read interweave knits, the believer, and the new yorker.

I used to only read the comics in the new yorker. then I started reading the fiction. then the movie reviews. then the profiles. now I just read the whole thing and I don't like the comics that much anymore.
radical dame

tomselleck69

• FIGHT YOU
  • Now We All Have Metal Skin
    • Harold Bloom

Oh look how cool I am: McSweeney's, The Believer, Modern Drunkard, Chunklet, Found Magazine (whenever I can... uh, FIND it. rimshot)

Oh look how lame I am: Vice, GQ, My Little Pony Quarterly (especially the double-size Rainbow Princess editions)
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2008, 00:43 by tomselleck69 »
"Cocks." - Harold Bloom

jimbunny

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • I'll show you the life of the mind!

I had a subscription to Poetry for one year. Then I got fed up with not getting it sent to me at school 8 months out the 11 that they publish. Once I get something remotely like a permanent address, though, I'm definitely renewing it.

mberan42

• Fry... You're my friend...

matt beran I loooove seed. don't read it regularly but it makes me feel like hey, being a scientist might be cool.

Yeah, it's a pretty spectacular magazine.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

Rudy Rudy

typical lefty girl mags:

Bitch - feminist response to pop culture
VegNews and Vegetarian Magazine - tasty goodies
Poets & Writers - mostly for the submission calender and awards listings
Rolling Stone - just so that I don't sound stupid at parties

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows

New Scientist. So good.
Quote from: Sox
I think it's because your 'age' is really only determined by how exasperated you seem when you have to stand up.

Quote from: KharBevNor
PEW PEW PEW FUCK OFF SPACE

Ax

I Enjoy my subscription to Rolling Stone;  it provides me with my weekly dose of pop culture I may or may not want to read about.

I also have subscriptions to Esquire and Wired, but I picked them up for free and I rarely receive or read them.

Krina

• Larger than most fish

I buy magazines mostly when I go somewhere by plane or train - since I used to commute 200 kilometres to Uni, that used to be pretty often.

I occasionally buy Simpsons comics, but I'm mostly into magazines about interior design, architecture and landscaping. I discovered that there is sort of an a- and a b-league in that type of magazines. The "real" ones are well-made and stylish and pretty expensive; the others are just cheap knockoffs and mistake kitsch for style and are not worth the time or the money. My very favourite is the British "Gardens Illustrated". There is nothing like having a cup of tea and leafing through a Gardens Illustrated when you're bored or down!

I also always read the free magazines the train- or airline provides. I'm a huge sucker for the magazine of KLM, it's pretty well-made and informative, and I have people from home send me the DBmobil, the free customer magazine of the Deutsche Bahn.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter

So, I guess EGM is now dead.

Ziff-Davis has made official the closure of EGM after nearly 20 years of publication. It's January issue -- currently on sale -- will be its last.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz

farewell, printed media!
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

I guess 1up will still be around.

Lame, lame 1up.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor

This worries me. I've been getting my gaming news from Game Informer for the last year or so anyway, but the fact that a magazine that has such a (assumed) wide readership can close so suddenly further dims the prospects for other magazines and newspapers that I do read. And I don't like reading magazines online. I use the internet to get a lot of my news, but to me there's something about physically having the magazine, paper, book, whatever, physically there in your hand, printed and solid, that can't be matched by internet news, which for all the talk of web 2.0 and blogging and such, is extremely impersonal.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

Blue Kitty

• Twitter

I think you should be okay RedLion, EGM's been having financial problems for a long time thanks to the company that owned it.  I'm surprised it went on as long as it did.
Pages: [1]   Go Up