THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 10 May 2024, 14:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: It's possible that I'm just crazy  (Read 19205 times)

Water Walking37

It's possible that I'm just crazy
« on: 19 Sep 2007, 00:43 »

I have never considered myself very "in-the-know" of indie/underground/unknown artists but I got a huge shock today! How is it possible with releases such as "Lua" and "First Day of My Life" that practically nobody at my college knows who Bright Eyes is? It's not just that band in particular. In fact, I've never met another person that listens to Platinum Weird, Mazzy Star, or even Tori Amos. I feel like an outsider when people start talking about music they like. For the love of all things good and impure, tell me someone out there listens to these artists!!

Given, the musical taste at my college seems to have gone to hell in baggy jeans and Ugg boots while shouting either, "That's hot." or "Hey bebe!"

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Re: It's possible that I'm just crazy
« Reply #1 on: 19 Sep 2007, 00:54 »

Alright, since this is like the third thread on the subject here on the main page my new advice to everyone who feels this way is to start a band. That way you'll have at least one other person to talk to about the music you'll like while giving us something as well. Everyone wins.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Water Walking37

« Reply #2 on: 19 Sep 2007, 01:07 »

Oops. Sorry. I really wasn't aware that other topics had formed around the same idea. But hey, at least I'm not alone!

Spinless

« Reply #3 on: 19 Sep 2007, 04:17 »

This reminds me of what happened to me the other day. Friend came over to my place, we ended up watching TV.
'What is this?'
'What is this? You've NEVER heard of CSI?'
'Nope.'
'You don't gather your family around the TV to swoon at Gil Grissom at 9pm mon-fri?!'
'No...look, I'm sorry, I think I'd better go...'
'You're damn fucking right you'd go, you CSI-less FREAK!'

Turns out she doesn't have a TV, now I gotta go apologise to her and hope we can still get it on.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #4 on: 19 Sep 2007, 07:34 »

When I meet people, before I shake their hand I look them square in the eye and ask them if they own 'Spiderland' on vinyl.

If they answer in the negative I cut their hand off with the gigantic cleaver I carry in my coat at all times.

I own Tweez on vinyl. Is that good enough??

Darby Crashed

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #5 on: 19 Sep 2007, 07:56 »

It is if you're okay with being called "Lefty" from now on.

Mnementh

« Reply #6 on: 19 Sep 2007, 08:14 »

Guys it is really hard for me to meet people I like. I mean what the fuck why haven't they heard of folk acts who put out 3 singles 50 years ago and indie noise electro bands who sell like 15,000 records a release.

I mean shit if a girl doesn't know all about Black Dice I sure am not sticking my dick in her.

What I am saying here is get over yourselves, your taste is not inherently better than anyone elses, just because someone likes music you think is shitty doesn't mean you're smarter than them, and by the way Amy Lee from Evanescence is really hot.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #7 on: 19 Sep 2007, 08:30 »

If there wasn't any good or bad, just likes and dislikes, there'd be no point to talking about music, film or any of the arts. Sorry dudes, some tastes are better than others.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #8 on: 19 Sep 2007, 09:11 »

Cos Bright Eyes fucking suck, man.

Had to be said. I did like the video where they were getting bottles of beer thrown at them though!
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #9 on: 19 Sep 2007, 09:33 »

Here's an answer: because people not only have, but are allowed to have and entitled to different opinions on 'good music.' And it doesn't matter how good someone's songs are, musical quality and sales are in no way related. I know a local band who have the best songs I've ever, ever heard. Why haven't you heard of them?

Well, for one thing, they don't exist. But for another, good songs =/= sales.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #10 on: 19 Sep 2007, 10:40 »

I'm not sure who you're talking to, DK.

As far as the "not having heard of Bright Eyes" thing goes, I can kind of see this fellow's point. Cassadaga sold 58,000 copies in its first week and "Lua" and "Take It Easy" simulatneously topped the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart when first released. "First Day Of My Life" is played without any dialogue over top of it in Knocked Up which was a ridiculously successful film. I am, however, sure that someone else on his campus has heard of them.

And for the remainder of the post,

because people not only have, but are allowed to have and entitled to different opinions on 'good music.'

Is that it, or is it that people are allowed and entitled to have different opinions on music they like?

Spinless

« Reply #11 on: 19 Sep 2007, 10:42 »

If everybody has heard of it, it is shit.
It nobody has heard of it, it is shit.

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #12 on: 19 Sep 2007, 11:28 »

There is a dude who says "But I'm Wide Awake It's Morning is an amazing album!"  Lol, fucking retard
Where I come from, we usually just shorten that to "yee-haw!"

Mnementh

« Reply #13 on: 19 Sep 2007, 12:02 »

You know Johnny, the only radio I ever listen to is NPR.  I have no idea what sells and what doesn't and what hits the top 40 or what have you.

I'm probably not alone in that.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #14 on: 19 Sep 2007, 12:30 »

you guys do you think Conor Oberst has heard of Spiderland
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #15 on: 19 Sep 2007, 12:47 »

You know Johnny, the only radio I ever listen to is NPR.  I have no idea what sells and what doesn't and what hits the top 40 or what have you.

I'm probably not alone in that.

I only listen to CBC and local, community-run radio. The only reason I knew about the Bright Eyes thing was because it kind of came as a surprise around the release of the record.

Tommy, you caught some phrasing of mine which was probably poorly chosen, and good work on it. What I should have said is there is no point otherwise in discussing art in a critical context. I don't mean in a Pitchfork-numbers-rating sense, but in a Magnet sort of discourse, where albums are reviewed mainly in terms of their strengths and weaknesses and not rated on a scale but rather evaluated as a singular whole. Saying also that some tastes are better than others doesn't give free rein to be ruthless about it, either. That's just poor manners. Someone was mentioning in the other thread about the difference between a music hobbyist and a passive listener (italics theirs), and that's a fair justification for having bad taste.

I'm interested in the notion that there's no such thing as "bad taste." Where does that leave the people who insult Cubist art because it "doesn't look like anything" or who only watch movies like Daddy Day Care because "I don't want to think when I watch a movie"?

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #16 on: 19 Sep 2007, 13:54 »

and by the way Amy Lee from Evanescence is really hot.

Psssssssst. Kieffer likes weird looking goth chicks, pass it on
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #17 on: 19 Sep 2007, 14:22 »

For his sake, I hope he has. If not, he better hope that he never meets Tommy.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #18 on: 19 Sep 2007, 14:30 »

For our sake, I hope he hasn't. If not, I better hope that he never meets Tommy.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #19 on: 19 Sep 2007, 15:02 »

Yeah, maybe he'll go back to shouting again.

C Patrick Carolan

« Reply #20 on: 19 Sep 2007, 16:49 »

I just bought Bright Eyes tickets today. Playing in my town on Halloween.

Given the Bright Eyes/Oberst hate on this board, though, I probably shouldn't mention that here...

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #21 on: 19 Sep 2007, 17:20 »

I saw Bright Eyes live last year. He brought Gruff Rhys with him which made the show even better.

Oberst and Co. are really compelling live performers. The man himself has a remarkably humble charm about him. You'll enjoy yourself.

TomorrowByStorm

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #22 on: 20 Sep 2007, 03:22 »

I'm interested in the notion that there's no such thing as "bad taste." Where does that leave the people who insult Cubist art because it "doesn't look like anything" or who only watch movies like Daddy Day Care because "I don't want to think when I watch a movie"?

In hell, Jonny C, it leaves them in hell. A very boring version of hell where everyone is tortured with an endless string Yoko Ono songs because the Devil has no imagination. Which is right where they belong.

Bad taste exists. It has to, or there would be no excuse for things like Kidz Bop, That group of singing pirates whos name I can never remember, and Brad Pitts "The Devils Own". Bad taste is out there, in a dark corner, patiently waiting to kid-nap your little brother or sister and force them to enjoy HelloGoodbye! Beware of bad taste! It's Contagious!

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #23 on: 20 Sep 2007, 04:21 »

I am better than all of you because I have seen http://myspace.com/portobrien live.

MusicScribbles

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #24 on: 20 Sep 2007, 04:22 »

I think we're forgetting that in the long run, 'it's all relative' anyway.
So go listen to your 'bad' music, because I have 'good' music.
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #25 on: 20 Sep 2007, 08:17 »

I like Bright Eyes. That is all.

ThinWhiteDuke09

« Reply #26 on: 20 Sep 2007, 13:27 »

I totally know what you were talking about, when I went to my first college, everybody sucked, so I transfered to a big city.  And I'm wide awake its morning is one of the most fantastic albums ever, you just have to have had the right experiences to really understand it.
My advice to you, be a hipster snob, and go the whole year drinking wine heavily while you're alone.  Then transfer, and everyone in your old school will talk fondly about you and how cool you were.  I'm also really excited for the upcoming bright eyes shows, some of my friends went to them, and for an encore, connor gets on stage alone with his guitar with a single spotlight and plays "Lua." A lot of people cried.

Spinless

« Reply #27 on: 20 Sep 2007, 14:28 »

ThinWhiteDuke!
I too have had problem in this expirience! School I did go, the people, they did suck! so bad I did want to be accepted into they ranks I made ass of self, and still I wonder why they not treat me nice! It was because they suck! obviously it had something to do with they not having heard of the pleasantness sound of 'Fevers and Mirrors'! Night after night I would sleep on the bathroom floor clutching empty vodka bottle listening to album! They ALL suck too much to expirience the wonder of Bright Eyes Fevers and Mirrors.

Might I also state you may just be the finest comedic writer of our generation?

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #28 on: 20 Sep 2007, 14:45 »

I just bought Bright Eyes tickets today. Playing in my town on Halloween.

Given the Bright Eyes/Oberst hate on this board, though, I probably shouldn't mention that here...
He's playing im my area November 3rd. I'm contemplating buying a ticket, though it's a little more than I would normally pay for a concert. And I don't know anyone that would want to go with me, so that sucks. But I also like Bright Eyes, so not everyone here hates you for saying that!

Mainly I just want to find out who else is playing the show, since that could help me decide. Andrew Bird is doing two shows with him earlier in the tour. If he came to Fargo as well I think I would probably die of happiness.
« Last Edit: 20 Sep 2007, 14:51 by Misconception »
Liz is touching me.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #29 on: 20 Sep 2007, 14:53 »

My advice to you, be a hipster snob, and go the whole year drinking wine heavily while you're alone.

Outstanding satire. Well-done.

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #30 on: 20 Sep 2007, 15:39 »

I listened to Lifted... a whole lot when I was in college (going on 4.5 years ago now). Now I don't really care for Bright Eyes. Don't particularly dislike them, just got burnt out.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

jimbunny

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • I'll show you the life of the mind!
« Reply #31 on: 20 Sep 2007, 23:31 »

I've no real opinion on Bright Eyes, but consider this (necessarily hypothetical) situation: there are in fact 'musical tastes' that are better than others, and perhaps one absolutely perfect taste (as well as one perfect lack of taste), the objective confirmation of which is inherently impossible. This provides us both with justification for debating and critique, knowing there is a scale, and some fucking humility, knowing that even if we were gods no one (not even ourselves) would ever know.

Actually, if we're going to talk about 'taste,' isn't that even harder (even more subjective) than talking about music itself? Aren't we talking about likes and dislikes? I suppose what we're actually talking about is the ability to distinguish levels of musical quality.

ThinWhiteDuke09

« Reply #32 on: 21 Sep 2007, 09:12 »

You have to consider the immense effect of cocaine on the music of bright eyes and oberst's blatant references to it, for example in lua he says:

"You're looking skinny like a model with your eyes all painted black
Just keep going to the bathroom, always say you'll be right back
Well, it takes one to know one, kid, I think you've got it bad"

And so, having been through cocaine addiction or a cocaine come down, one is able to identify with Oberst's lyrics and it provides a sort of comforting effect.  Now that Oberst has quit doing blow, I find his lyrics to be less poetic and touching whereas musically the songs have progressed a lot.  In any case, I was not as much a fan of the newer album though he does touch on panic attacks, a definate reference to the long term psychological effect of cocaine use.

Spinless

Re: It's likely that he's just crazy
« Reply #33 on: 21 Sep 2007, 09:50 »

thanks for clearing that up Duke, it explains a lot of the things that you touched upon in that last post.

my experience with music fans has been somewhat lacking, but when I am deciding whether or not to judge people based exclusively on whether or not they like bright eyes, I do also have to take into account their attitude towards music.

after all, most bright eyes fans are 14 yearold american school girls who don't know what cocaine looks like. they can't appreciate his music because they haven't lived it. those casual fans will just never enjoy the music as much as a person who has had a cocaine addiction, because a person who has lived it reaches a whole new level of understanding with bright eye's music.

personally, I started enjoying the music a lot more after I'd lost all my friends, family, money and self esteem to a crippling coke addiction. I'm better now, and the scars are starting to fade, I came out of the whole experience with a huge appreciation for the music of Conor Oberst.

next time I'll tell you all about the time I had to live as a gay rent boy in london to feed my heroin addiction and suddenly developed a huge appreciation for the music of Baby Shambles.

SeanBateman

« Reply #34 on: 21 Sep 2007, 10:12 »

Had to be said. I did like the video where they were getting bottles of beer thrown at them though!

Bright eyes is awesome, and you are dumb.

I could go into a whole kantian rant here about you guys just finding the music agreeable or disagreeable and trying to make a judgement of taste from a position of bias, which invalidates the whole argument because beauty can only be perceived or experienced when we aren't tied to the object by any predisposition in it's favor, but I won't.

Ernest

• Scrabble hacker
  • Buy my book!
« Reply #35 on: 21 Sep 2007, 10:21 »

No, Kieffer, Bright Eyes suck.  They suck, suck, suck, suck, suck, suck, suck. 
Where I come from, we usually just shorten that to "yee-haw!"

Spinless

« Reply #36 on: 21 Sep 2007, 10:54 »

I agree with Johnny C in that Oberst and his friends are good performers. he also has a character about his music, and whether or not you like it may depend on whether or not you like his character. some people do, some people don't.

personally, I stopped being critical of the guy when I realised I wouldn't have had the guts to do this on national television. watch that and tell me he didn't know that he was risking his career.
I can still make fun of his fans however much I want.

SeanBateman

« Reply #37 on: 21 Sep 2007, 10:54 »

No, Kieffer, Bright Eyes suck.  They suck, suck, suck, suck, suck, suck, suck. 

No you

3Z3VH

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • WoSaT
    • http://www.everlan.net
« Reply #38 on: 21 Sep 2007, 11:12 »

Your mom !
With every small decision: if you change a heart, you change the world.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #39 on: 21 Sep 2007, 11:32 »

Your face!
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Spinless

« Reply #40 on: 21 Sep 2007, 12:15 »

yes, avoid hypothetical second album like is a plague!

desaparecidos is what happens when you strip Conor Oberst of his bright eyes character and give him a bunch of effects pedals. he makes a rock album full of poppy hooks and distorted guitars while singing about how bad homogenisation is.
I much prefer his desaparecidos character to his bright eyes character.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #41 on: 21 Sep 2007, 18:41 »

The Bright Eyes fan debate is interesting to me because I've noticed that Bright Eyes have two distinct kinds of fans. I will use a photo to demonstrate.

In the front is me. I have written "GRUF RHYS" on my hand in pen in the manner of a "THUG LYFE" tattoo.

To my left is a teengirl who probably cried through half the concert.

I hope this has helped.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #42 on: 21 Sep 2007, 18:53 »

I know which one i'd rather kiss.
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #43 on: 21 Sep 2007, 18:53 »

Sorry Emilio, I don't rock dudes in the can.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #44 on: 21 Sep 2007, 19:20 »

I know which one I'd rather kiss.
Liz is touching me.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #45 on: 21 Sep 2007, 19:37 »

I have spent my post-college years getting shit faced alone. I can assure you that everyone I work with thinks I am a really responsible, attractive guy with a future, not to mention that I'm coooool.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #46 on: 21 Sep 2007, 23:25 »

I know which one I'd rather kiss.

Funny, I read this and all of a sudden I was on Google Maps. It's like I blacked out for a moment.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #47 on: 22 Sep 2007, 07:42 »

I appear to have put my accomplice in th' wood chipp'r.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #48 on: 22 Sep 2007, 09:04 »

1) There's no snow right now.
2) I do not own a wood chipper, nor do I know anyone that does.
Liz is touching me.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #49 on: 22 Sep 2007, 13:55 »

As far as the "not having heard of Bright Eyes" thing goes, I can kind of see this fellow's point. Cassadaga sold 58,000 copies in its first week and "Lua" and "Take It Easy" simulatneously topped the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart when first released.

Some people are ignorant, some people are close minded, some people ignore the charts, some people will hear his voice - which I personally can't stand most of the time - and instantly tune out and as such not know who he is or what his song is. There're any number of reasons why people could not have heard of him.

"First Day Of My Life" is played without any dialogue over top of it in Knocked Up which was a ridiculously successful film. I am, however, sure that someone else on his campus has heard of them.

Probably, yes. As for that film, I've not seen it myself, and again, just because it's over the credits doesn't mean people know what song it is, bought the soundtrack, like the song...etc.

And for the remainder of the post,

because people not only have, but are allowed to have and entitled to different opinions on 'good music.'

Is that it, or is it that people are allowed and entitled to have different opinions on music they like?

You're just being pointlessly pedantic there. If you're going to make that implication just because I didn't specifically word it that way, you could check off anything else I failed to list such as a choice of which records they want to buy as being disallowed just because I said so.

Never mind the fact that the majority of people I know cannot distinguish between music they like and music they think is good, but don't like.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up