THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 05 Jun 2024, 15:08
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Gigs you've been to and your thoughts.  (Read 199673 times)

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
    • Facebookfacebookfacebook
Re: Gigs you've been to and your thoughts.
« Reply #300 on: 15 Apr 2008, 19:52 »

@ Robbie

I'm pleasantly surprised by your friend's band's music too! They are quite good!

Yeah. They've been getting all kinds of local awards and praise and stuff. And really, the music on the myspace is pretty good, but it's way better live... which probably doesn't do anything for you, but it's awesome for me!

I'll let them know that people on the internet like their music.

I checked them out too, and at first they made me think of the Red Hot Chili Peppers.  I heard the rest of the song, and all I could think of was the Red Hot Chili Peppers weeping bitterly, because this band makes them look like pansies.

The rest of the songs up there sound nothing like RHCP, which is awesome.

Yeah, they've got a lot of good variety in their songs. Glad you liked them! Buy their CD!  :-D
« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2008, 19:54 by RobbieOC »

sk8brder40

« Reply #301 on: 18 Apr 2008, 17:54 »

he is making fun of your horrible AWESOME taste!

Ah thanks, dude! It really means a lot!

Psssh, music is music. We all like our own stuff. For instance, I think that indie music is plain terrible. It's all just noise to me. But, I respect that people here listen to it. The only people that should be taken out back and shot are hip-hop and rap lovers.

Clearly, you have not been listening to the right "indie" music.
I'm talking about the indie music jeph posts on the site. I've checked it out on itunes thinking hey jeph's a cool dude, QC pwns, i bet this music will be awesome. But, uh.. nope, just noise.
But, once again, people don't always like the music I like. Everyone has different taste and I have no problem with people who enjoy indie stuff.

The only people that should be taken out back and shot are hip-hop and rap lovers.

i am guessing you think all black people like fried chicken malt liquor & watermelon too

racism

When did I say anything about black people? I'm just saying, rap and hip-hop aren't even music. It's just rhyming and it's just bleh. I am NOT racist.

the point of my post was to say "hey it is odd that you said the used all normal and then get bristly+defensive once you mention my chemical romance, as if the first is more credible than the latter"
know what, I'm actually sorry for that, and you're right. I just said that because I've seen a lotta disses toward them on this forum. But I agree, I sounded bad in saying that and I apologize.

« Last Edit: 18 Apr 2008, 17:59 by sk8brder40 »

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #302 on: 18 Apr 2008, 18:01 »

The racism thing was just you being mocked for not understanding music. Same thing with the other comments really.

It's alright though. I can't fix a toaster, maybe you can. Not everyone can understand everything.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

sk8brder40

« Reply #303 on: 18 Apr 2008, 18:03 »

"not understanding music"? What do you mean by that?

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #304 on: 18 Apr 2008, 18:09 »

I'm just saying, rap and hip-hop aren't even music.

I mean you said that, basically. It is music. There is no coherent argument for it not being music, whether you like it or not.

Anyway, back to the point of the thread. Tonight I saw DAT Politics, Printed Circuit and Monster Killed By Laser (Cissy were also on the bill but I showed up late). I wish I liked Monster Killed By Laser. I do when they cover John Carpenter. But on their own material they just string a series of riffs together. They're nice enough riffs but there's just no point to it all. Thankfully, there's the other bar in the Brudenell to retreat to while they finish up. Printed Circuit have dropped the songs which were less danceable and more electro pop with the additional singer in favour of a set full of excellent party tunes. Stylophones, eighties keyboard sounds, videos of people playing pool and table tennis... I really love this band. They make things even better with a Bilge Pump cover, all synthesizered up and close with that great song that urges people to help them carry their gear. Perfect preparation for DAT Politics, who seem to be on a mission to be as party as humanly possible. They manage it. Actually, I can't really describe them any more than that, probably the best dance music I've ever heard live (or possibly at all).
« Last Edit: 18 Apr 2008, 18:20 by a pack of wolves »
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

sk8brder40

« Reply #305 on: 18 Apr 2008, 18:10 »

Eh, sorry, you're right it's debatable. Sorry for sounding like a dick haha

DMart

• Larger than most fish
  • Most participants desire.
    • Fritzwicky
« Reply #306 on: 18 Apr 2008, 20:15 »

Last night was the Raveonettes at the Hifi bar - fairly dissapointing (IMO). They used a lot of pre-recorded stuff for drums and bass (well anything that wasnt played on either a Jag Jazzmaster, tom or snare... 'cos that's all the instruments that were on stage).  One really annoying thing was the pre-recorded bass overpowering their voices/guitars, particularly in Attack of the Ghost Riders, when the guitars need to cut through everything. They were a shitload better last time I saw them (same venue about 2 years ago). Did anyone else from here go to this? Your thoughts?
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2008, 17:26 by DMart »
An operatic soprano raps and sings atonal music, advertising jingles, political slogans, and “elevator” music, and a children's choir sings jingles and holiday songs.

snowball

« Reply #307 on: 21 Apr 2008, 11:17 »

well two reviews,

I went to the God is an Astronaut show. This was their first stop on their first US tour ever.  :-). The openers were forgettable... But the main act was one of the most amazing shows I have even been too. Everything was there a combination of a small venue, perfectly played post rock, a set list that couldn't have been put together better and videos running in the background to match everything. This show was nigh on orgasmic and i would recommend it to anyone into post rock.

2nd review was the My Chemical Romance concert I went to last night.
Opener was crap I cant even remember there name 12 hours later. Anyway on to the real reason i was there. The 2nd act was Billy Talent. These guys played an amazing 1 hour set that i was sad to see end. They played just as well live as on the albums if not better. The stage banter was top notch also. Only complaint other than the set not being 3 hours was the mosh pit was a little weak compared to a good metal show but the audience was a touch younger due to it really being a MCR show. The main act was sub par, they tried to compensate their poor playing with loud volume. The music was semi fun so it wasn't a compete let down. My final verdict is that Billy Talent made up for any of the other bands faults.
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2008, 11:28 by snowball »

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #308 on: 22 Apr 2008, 14:02 »

I saw Cex the other night. There was no backing band as there often is but nonetheless it was rather excellent. Imagine Girl Talk with less popular rap samples and on lotsa hallucinogenics. That's pretty much what it was like.
Ecstatic Sunshine opened. I only caught the end of the set but it seemed to be a pretty cool, electro-duo a la The Berg Sans Nipple (but not as good) or a very toned down Fuck Buttons.
Both bands definitely recommended.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

karl gambolputty...

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #309 on: 22 Apr 2008, 14:30 »

I'm going to see Polvo on the 9th.  I predict my thoughts shall be "WHOOOO MOTHERFUCKING POLVO WHOOOOO!!"

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #310 on: 22 Apr 2008, 14:41 »

Man thanks for reminding me about how I'm probably not going to see Polvo on the 9th unless I can get my friends (who are fucks) to go.

I did just get my tickets for Silver Mt. Zion on the 23rd of May though! I can't wait for that show!
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock
« Reply #311 on: 23 Apr 2008, 00:23 »

Re: Islands. I got there a little late but I wasn't worried because a couple relatively local bands I'd already heard and dismissed were opening. Little did I know when I got there an hour late the show was just starting because both those openers flaked at the last minute. So on comes Kid Theodore, who I'd never heard before. They were surprisingly engaging, especially as all three band members besides the drummer switched off between guitars, bass, keyboards and vocals for various songs. Then there was Future of the Ghost, who were mildly entertaining but delved too far into spazzy noise-fests during some songs for my liking. Finally around an hour and a half later than expected Islands came on. It's a shame, really, because they spent the greater part of the first two and a half songs ("Vertigo," "The Arm," and "Creeper" all off the upcoming album) trying to get the sound guy to fix the levels on everything from guitars to keyboards to Nick's mic. I swear the guy had to be retarded not to understand that looking directly at him, tapping something and pointing up means "turn me up!" The feedback on Nick's guitar got so bad during The Arm he dropped it and grabbed the mic so he could walk around and signal to the sound guy everything that needed to be adjusted, still singing the whole time. Once everything was fixed, the rest of the show was great. You could tell the crowd (small as it was, maybe 100 people at a generous estimate) was into the songs, dancing around and singing along to all the old songs like "Don't Call Me Whitney, Bobby" and "Volcanoes." You could tell the band got real invested in the crowd too, as Nick stopped to chat longer and longer between the last few songs because, well, we chatted back.  They even played a Sinead O'Connor cover, which I thought was unusual until I found out they'd been playing it for a while now. There were only a couple times when everything seemed to lose a bit of energy, namely during the slow parts of "In the Rushes" and "Life in Jail," but the closing with "Swans" was fantastic and brought everything together. When we coaxed them back for one last song Nick asked, "Do you guys want us to play Rough Gem?" and everyone shouted yes at once to which he responded, "I guess I shouldn't have asked." I swear, I've never seen such a small crowd act make as much of a ruckus as we did during that song.
« Last Edit: 23 Apr 2008, 00:26 by imagist42 »
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #312 on: 23 Apr 2008, 05:14 »

I'm so fucking jealous

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #313 on: 23 Apr 2008, 05:37 »

The main act was sub par, they tried to compensate their poor playing with loud volume

This happened when they were on tour with Green Day as well. The sound was all fucked up, guitars too loud (imagine me saying that, christ), vocals barely audible.

Anyway! Saturday, I hitched a train from Cambridge down to Braintree to see Everybody Out! play a show at Newbury Comics in honor of Record Store Day. I think I'd mentioned before (from the Dropkick Murphys show) that they're insanely fun live, and once again, they didn't disappoint. With all the CD racks and whatnot, we were shoved in to a somewhat small, open space in the store. The set was great, aside from some problems with mic cables in the first few songs. Best part? It was Chris Sweeney's birthday, and someone decided to bake him a cake. It ended up getting passed through the crowd mid-set. That or me and Rick Barton going back and forth for a minute about whether or not they should play "Jack The Lad" (they did).

Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

sk8brder40

« Reply #314 on: 23 Apr 2008, 18:29 »

dearandtheheadlights,paramore,jimmyeatworldinoneweekkkk :D

DMart

• Larger than most fish
    • Fritzwicky
« Reply #315 on: 27 Apr 2008, 21:05 »

Thursday night I got to see Little Red at the Corner Hotel. 'Nuff said.

On Saturday however I saw the Eels' "Get to Know the Eels" show at the Palais. Instead of a supporting act, they showed a film about E's quest to get to know his father and to understand his work ("Parallel Worlds, Parallel Lives"). It was fairly interesting, but I was in the second row so my neck got a bit of a workout. The documentary went for an hour, which IMO was perhaps a little long. After that, E and the Chet came out and did their stuff. A lot of it was really good, but a few songs (i.e. Dog Faced Boy, Souljacker pt1, more that I can't remember at the moment) suffered more than a little from having just the two of them on stage. E and the Chet also took time to read occasionally from E's autobiography - probably for a total of 20 minutes(or maybe it just felt that long?) which got a bit annoying... I'm sure it's a good read and all, but that's just not what I paid AU$72.50 to see. Many, many cheesy moments... E read fan mail (oh what? hate mail? oh how did this get in here?) and Eels live reviews (Ooooh, this one is for the EAGLES, not us!) and talked for a bit about "how good it is to be me/a rock and roll star". Some of it was funny, some of it just sort of made me think "oh... so you're a jerk? Ok then.".
An operatic soprano raps and sings atonal music, advertising jingles, political slogans, and “elevator” music, and a children's choir sings jingles and holiday songs.

Tehz

• The German Chancellory building
  • and the driving snow that drives me home
« Reply #316 on: 27 Apr 2008, 22:30 »

One word: Aquabats.

Saw 'em in NYC back in February. I'm almost strictly an indie rock guy, but I just have a soft spot for the guys. The people in the audience were great, the 'bats themselves sounded fantastic, they played most of their best songs, and they fought a giant tick monster onstage. Seriously, best show I've ever been to.

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #317 on: 27 Apr 2008, 23:28 »

That show was off tap... had a great time even tough my girlfriend cancelled and it was just me and a friend who's just broken up with his gal.

np96

« Reply #318 on: 28 Apr 2008, 03:41 »

Muse , NIN and Smashing Pumpkin had the best sets out of the gigs I've been to. The Kaiser Cheifs and Franz Ferdinand were also surprisingly impressive with thier live performances. The Kaiser chiefs really got the crowd going with thier shenanigans. The Red Hot Chilli Peppers were really disappointing. As soon as Anthony Kelidis (sp?) jumped on stage, he stepped on the guitarists wire and broke it! They also didn't do Under the Bridge and few other songs which was disappointing. My next gig will be the flaming lips and I think I may die of excitement before the gig is over.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #319 on: 28 Apr 2008, 04:52 »

One word: Aquabats.

Saw the Aquabats in either 05 or 06. They fall into my "bands that are just recockulously fun live and would see over and over" list, along with Everybody Out! and Fu Manchu.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Caspian

• The Tickler
« Reply #320 on: 28 Apr 2008, 05:34 »

I saw Grey Daturas and Cease yesterday? I think? Wait, 3 days ago. :/ I'm not exactly WHY the promoters decided to have 3 even noisier support acts before (though one of them was pretty sweet and stood out a lot, mainly because they had riffs instead of just distortion and delay pedals). It was pretty cool.

Doubt there's anyone else here from perth except for maybe D_D but Cease are a rather awesome live band. A very mellow and hypnotic drone doom thing, as far as I can tell completely improvised, sort of like an even more stoned version of Dopesmoker. To be totally honest the riffs aren't THAT good, it's just that the overall vibe is incredibly awesome, and the huge amount of feedback from teh other guitarist helped a great deal, and the drummer knew his Sleep beats.. I was so droned out from them I didn't even bother watching Grey Daturas. It was only $12 though, so I'd got my money's worth.

If you happen to live in Perth WA, SEE CEASE ALREADY.

Also: I forgot to mention that i saw EITS a few months ago! They were freakin awesome.

DMart

• Larger than most fish
    • Fritzwicky
« Reply #321 on: 28 Apr 2008, 06:19 »

That show was off tap... had a great time even tough my girlfriend cancelled and it was just me and a friend who's just broken up with his gal.

From what I remember yeah it was awesome... but I don't remember a lot. Biiiiiiig night. I don't suppose you're a fan of the Spun Rivals too? They're good mates with Little Red, and are supporting the Silents this Wednesday at the Northcote Social Club (which I will also be going to).
« Last Edit: 28 Apr 2008, 06:31 by DMart »

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #322 on: 28 Apr 2008, 07:21 »

Muse, I think they are the beast live band of all times. Saw them gee, two yrs ago in Atlanta at the Tabenacle. Only band I'd go to a big venue to see.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Calaveth

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #323 on: 30 Apr 2008, 19:41 »

Just got back from seeing This Will Destroy You, Growing and Boris. I'm a bit shell shocked, to be honest. This Will Destroy You were great, but I was a bit confused at first because I had gotten in my head that Growing would be the opening act (and I had never seen either band, and never even heard Growing), so I was thinking that "gee, these guys in Growing sure sounds just like any other post-rock band...like This Will Destroy You...wait a minute...".

Anyway, I got the feeling they converted a bunch of people on the spot who had never heard them before, even though they only got to play for at most 30 minutes. It definitely felt quite short. Next, Growing had a tough gig. I don't think a lot of people at the show had heard them before, and their experimental, electronic post-rock didn't really seem to capture people's attention. I think more people were in the bar drinking beer during Growing's (also short) performance than there were people watching. I got the sense that their music didn't have much direction - usually post-rock does, heading toward those inevitable crescendos, but Growing seems to feel that part of post-rock to be overrated...

Finally Boris, opening with Flower Sun Rain (which I believe was limited to the Japanese release of Smile?). A bit odd choice for opener I thought, so atypical of what Boris usually sounds like. But from there on, it was no mercy. They absolutely slayed. A good mix of songs primarily from Smile, Heavy Rocks and Pink from what I could tell. I don't know what else to say. I wobbled out afterwards from one of the best concerts I've ever been to.

Sunday I saw Einstürzende Neubauten at Berns here in Stockholm, a gorgeous venue, old theatre with paintings on the walls, huge mirrors, candeliers, gold and velvet decorations everywhere. The rock audience looked decidedly out of place, but Einstürzende seemed to like it. They're a top notch live band, both because there's always something going on, with all the improvised instruments they use, but just as much because Blixa Bargeld is simply such a good front man.

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #324 on: 30 Apr 2008, 23:35 »

From what I remember yeah it was awesome... but I don't remember a lot. Biiiiiiig night. I don't suppose you're a fan of the Spun Rivals too? They're good mates with Little Red, and are supporting the Silents this Wednesday at the Northcote Social Club (which I will also be going to).

Haha actually Spun Rivals were just in front of me and were going nuts. I talked to them for a while before the show and they seemed like good guys. I was wondering if they were any good or not.

DMart

• Larger than most fish
    • Fritzwicky
« Reply #325 on: 30 Apr 2008, 23:54 »

Haha you might have seen me there then, I was hanging out with them for most of the night... I was wearing the "disturbingly green" hoodie. You should definitely check them out, last night at the NSC was great (as seems to be the case usually with them). Top blokes too (the bassist is my housemate  :-D).
« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2008, 23:59 by DMart »

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #326 on: 01 May 2008, 00:16 »

Cadence Weapon and Buck 65 tonight. Excellent bill. They're on tour together right now. Please try to catch them.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #327 on: 01 May 2008, 00:49 »

Haha you might have seen me there then, I was hanging out with them for most of the night... I was wearing the "disturbingly green" hoodie. You should definitely check them out, last night at the NSC was great (as seems to be the case usually with them). Top blokes too (the bassist is my housemate  :-D).

Man you totally pushed past me half way through the show and I may have given your back the finger (no offense). Small world! I think I was one of the very few who was vaguely sober at that show.

DMart

• Larger than most fish
    • Fritzwicky
« Reply #328 on: 01 May 2008, 01:22 »

heh, sorry - I was DEFINITELY not even close to sober by then. That was the first big night out I'd had in a while, it probably showed - normally I'm not such an arse (i think?).

pinkpiche

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #329 on: 01 May 2008, 04:17 »

Cadence Weapon and Buck 65 tonight. Excellent bill. They're on tour together right now. Please try to catch them.

Oooh! Oooh! I love both of them. I'm seeing Cadence Weapon this summer but Buck would be awesome as well..
"Yeah, they're always biting my shit you know how that goes"

krcko

« Reply #330 on: 01 May 2008, 10:22 »

So there's this festival going on around here for about two weeks, and the lineup is fantastic this year. Which is not a good thing since I'm more or less broke at the moment and there's no way I'll get to see everything (tickets are sold separately for each venue :/ ).
However, I did get to see Amon Tobin last week and the gig was amazing, he was much better live than I expected. I'm terrible at memorising setlists and such, so you'll just have to take my word for it :)
I missed Notwist, but that's ok because I'm seeing Shellac and (OMG OMG OMG) Gang of Four (OMG) in about two weeks, so yay!
Oo, and Six Organs of Admittance after that.
But I guess this is kind of offtopic so I'll come back after I actually GO to the concerts :D

Beastmouth

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #331 on: 01 May 2008, 13:14 »

I saw Lou Reed Wednesday night.

Melt Banana did not make it for the opener, but still, I saw Lou Reed!
At the Orange Peel in Asheville, it was sold out, packed solid.
Felt just like live at Max's Kansas City for certain reasons...
Quote from: Lao_Tse
The song that can be sung is not the great Song.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #332 on: 02 May 2008, 20:25 »

Tonight I saw Crocus, meandgoliath, Violent Breakfast and Feint play a house gig. Feint kick things off and they're just as good as they always are, I'm sure I must have written them up a bunch of time in this thread by now. The interesting part came at the end of their set, caving in to the crowd they swapped instruments and became Warboys. They then proceeded to kick out a few songs of harsh powerviolence with lots of time changes in the Spazz style, I hadn't managed to catch Warboys before now so that was a treat. Not as good as Feint but it was still good stuff and a fun way to end the set. Violent Breakfast were up next... and they were absolutely amazing. Definitely band of the night, they slammed out a tight set of punchy screamo. Okay, so they're not breaking the mould but who cares? This is brilliant music played in the perfect setting. Massively recommended for anyone into screamo. They're from Italy, I think there's something in the water over there what with them producing the kings of modern day emo La Quiete as well. If you can catch any dates on their tour then do it. Meandgoliath have a really hard act to follow after that, and at first it looks like they aren't going to manage it. Their first couple of numbers are solid but nothing to write home about. But then they swing into the third track and it's just perfect, a total example of doing the style right and I start moving again. The last song that they have to be prevailed upon to play is probably the best of their set, thudding drums and un-amplified screams. Superb. Crocus are really going to have to pull out all the stops after that and they do, bless them. Despite wrecking the mic during the first song they continue to thrash out the most chaotic emo of the night, the singer twisting and writhing to the music so much that he had to go outside to vomit from exertion before their final song, that closed with the whole band rising up and screaming the last words. A perfect ending. Violent Breakfast might have been the band of the night but it was the sheer quality of the whole line-up that made this one to remember.

I also appear to have joined a stadium crust band with guys from Feint and Benchpress as well as an emo band with the stated aim of being 'like Violent Breakfast, but with two bassists' during the gig. We think it'll probably end up sounding like a cross between Violent Breakfast and Girls Against Boys, and I can see no way that can be a bad thing. All in all, this is exactly what DIY should be all about.

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.
« Reply #333 on: 02 May 2008, 22:28 »

Today/Tonight I saw Cobra Starship, Simple Plan, The Bravery, and Wyclef Jean at Maryland; it was a show called Art Attack, and I liked how it was done.  Between each band's set, after one band finished they would go to a booth to meet with fans and sign autographs, and the roadies would set up the stage for the next act and soundcheck and whatnot, while the MC would come out and entertain to the music spun by a DJ on the edge of the stage.  Beach balls and glowsticks were given out to accentuate the crowd; plus everybody got a free magnetic calendar and condom upon entering.  Many, many more free condoms were thrust upon everybody throughout the show.  Not surprisingly, balloons were made.  Good times, overall.

COBRA STARSHIP:
They definitely brought it all out tonight.  Sadly, I could only catch the last few songs of their set, but I was still impressed by what I saw.  The music was pretty good, as I expected it to be, but mainly I liked their interaction with the audience.  I know it's pretty much expected, but I respect a band that's willing to say more to the audience than "thanks! alright, this next one is..." between songs.

Grade: B+

SIMPLE PLAN:
I'd never heard of these guys before I saw them tonight.  The music was surprisingly good!  Very rhythmic, definitely written with people jumping around and dancing at shows in mind.  Plus the mock mosh pit that started during their set was pretty hilarious.

Notable quotes from the band:
"Was that a penis balloon I saw during that last one?  That's just rude, guys." (note: it was.)

Grade: B

THE BRAVERY:
Another new band to me.  A song or two of theirs was pretty much just atonal, fuzzy, distorted noise that overpowered any vocals whatsoever, but the other songs more than made up for it.  The sound was very similar to that of Simple Plan, but a lot heavier, much better to just rawk the fuck out to.  Actual mosh pit during this one.

Grade: B+

WYCLEF JEAN:
What can I say?  Wyclef fucking killed it tonight.  The songs from his latest album were great, but about half of his set was cut by a DJ, and was a mix of popular hip-hop tunes from today/the '90s, some of which was either early Wyclef or some work of his back from the Fugees.  Bringing his sister out to sing a song was a nice touch.  As was bringing some random dude from the audience up on stage to just rock the fuck out for a while.  Plus he climbed a fucking rafter in the middle of a song.  Then he got everyone in the audience to take their shirt off.  Classic.  Probably the best show I've ever seen, no joke.

Notable Quotes:
"Which way's DC?  That way? A'ight, everybody look over there: [singing] George Bush mind your business..."
Several things to the effect of "George Bush needs to get the hell out"
"If you know Obama is the next president, put yo hands up"
"Hey, when people are crowdsurfing, be nice to them, a'ight?  Ain't every black motherfucker can have people crowdsurfin'.  Shit is rock and roll, baby."
"War in Iraq costin' us a billion a month.  You have any idea how much weed I could buy with a billion dollars?"
"Yeah, you, come here.  Guys, let him up. *to fan* You just do whatever the fuck you want, man."

Grade: A+

Great fucking night.
« Last Edit: 03 May 2008, 12:08 by SilentJ »
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

ZedAvatar

• Plantmonster
    • Xbox Live Profile
« Reply #334 on: 04 May 2008, 15:58 »

Nightwish is playing near Chicago on May 31!!! I don't know about anyone else, but I am definitely going.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #335 on: 04 May 2008, 16:20 »

I'm seeing No Age and Aa tonight. I'm excited. Thoughts to follow.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Lexington, 125

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #336 on: 04 May 2008, 19:11 »

THE BRAVERY:    Actual mosh pit during this one.

If I am good I could add years to my life, I would rather add some life to my years...

imagist42

« Reply #337 on: 04 May 2008, 20:09 »

I'm not sure what you meant to say/imply with that post.
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #338 on: 04 May 2008, 23:58 »

SIMPLE PLAN:
I'd never heard of these guys before I saw them tonight.  The music was surprisingly good!  Very rhythmic, definitely written with people jumping around and dancing at shows in mind.  Plus the mock mosh pit that started during their set was pretty hilarious.

Notable quotes from the band:
"Was that a penis balloon I saw during that last one?  That's just rude, guys." (note: it was.)

Grade: B

Isn't there a really bad pop-punk band from Montreal called Simple Plan?

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
« Reply #339 on: 05 May 2008, 04:35 »

Isn't there a pretty good pop-punk band from Montreal called Simple Plan?

why yes, yes there is
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

FireAarro

• Curry sauce
  • Cold Lemmin' With Flava
« Reply #340 on: 05 May 2008, 04:48 »

SIMPLE PLAN:
I'd never heard of these guys before I saw them tonight.

Seriously? If I were you, I'd feel quite lucky.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #341 on: 05 May 2008, 09:16 »

! long wordy interesting reviews post !

recently I have seen:

low - awesome
(supported by: the helio sequence - also awesome)
ted leo - awesome

soon I will be seeing

delerium; iron & wine. forecast: awesome x2.

(footnotes: the guy from Low was really stoned so we mostly got mellow tunes, not as much from great destroyer as I would've liked, but they did amazing grace which was amazing. the Helio Sequence singer is somehow even better live than on record and the drummer rocks out hard enough for like 5 people so you don't really notice it's just the two of them. Ted Leo is Ted Leo and if you need telling why that's awesome then Ted Leo Ted Leo Ted Leo.)

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
« Reply #342 on: 05 May 2008, 21:36 »

THE BRAVERY:    Actual mosh pit during this one.

If you were going where I think you were with this one, what I meant was that during Simple Plan it was a bunch of drunken frat boys just shoving each other around a whole lot and laughing about it; during The Bravery it was people just rocking the fuck out, and closer to what one would call a mosh pit than the first attempt.

SIMPLE PLAN:
I'd never heard of these guys before I saw them tonight.

Seriously? If I were you, I'd feel quite lucky.

But, see, I like them.  This is why I felt it necessary to point out, because I feel bad about it.
Also I definitely realized about an hour ago that I had indeed heard of them before, just didn't connect the experiences.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #343 on: 05 May 2008, 21:45 »

Wilco play Kansas next wednesday! super pumped.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #344 on: 05 May 2008, 21:59 »

I saw Zombie Zombie, Health and Two Minute Noodles the other night (I skipped Random Number who was also playing). Two Minute Noodles were even better than the last time I saw them, and I liked them then. They're a two-piece with really simple organ and keyboard parts, the songs are very much led by the drumming. He keeps the beat down well but adds lots of very non-ostentatious flourishes, particularly on the hi-hat, to keep things interesting. Very danceable. I wasn't sure what to expect from Health having only heard that collaboration with Crystal Castles. They kicked out noise rock for the dancefloor. Again, the best thing about the band was the drumming. The three guys screeching up front could have ended up being rather weak, but the drummer gave the songs the muscular definition they needed. He really drove the whole thing, giving a solid beat while they played with effects pedals. I was impressed. Zombie Zombie kept up the trend of the night by being once again led by the drums. I like the whole horror movie soundtrack thing they have going on with the keyboards. In fact, I think they're best summed up by that t-shirt idea someone posted in Inexplicably Obscure T-shirts thread: "to be used in the event of totally rad apocalypse".

imagist42

« Reply #345 on: 05 May 2008, 22:03 »

Wilco play Kansas next wednesday! super pumped.

Yeah, I'm seeing them in Austin on Monday the 12th. Can't freaking wait.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #346 on: 06 May 2008, 05:55 »

August 12 for me. Should be a fun night. I'm going with a bunch of friends.

DMart

• Larger than most fish
    • Fritzwicky
« Reply #347 on: 10 May 2008, 08:00 »

Guys..... Rocket Science. fuck yes.

I have never seen someone sweat as much as the singer/organist did in the space of that (approx) hour. And what's the deal with bands like Jet and Wolfmother getting all the attention? There's plenty of original rock coming from Australia with a lot more character than that stuff. These guys are a prime example. (okay, so maybe I can't think of any more examples... edit: Ground Components! the Living End!)

Good grief, the east brunswick club holds gigs for that kind of music well. Now I have to go nurse my broken right ear.
« Last Edit: 11 May 2008, 14:41 by DMart »

karl gambolputty...

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #348 on: 11 May 2008, 14:13 »

I saw Polvo on Friday night.  They were pretty brilliant.  My ears haven't quite stopped ringing yet.  The best non-song moment was probably when... I think it was Dave, said "Damn, there are some drunk 35-year-olds in here". 

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #349 on: 12 May 2008, 14:30 »

Waaaaaaaaaah...

I shoulda been there. Nooooooooooo faaaaaair.

- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Up