THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 09 Jun 2024, 04:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kylie Minogue's 'X'  (Read 3669 times)

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Kylie Minogue's 'X'
« on: 02 Dec 2007, 14:10 »

It's her first record in four years, folks. I'm surprised I haven't seen more talk about it.

"2 Hearts" is an outstanding single, but the rest of the album only nears its greatness when it's aping other artists - for example, when she somehow out-Gwen-Stefanis Gwen Stefani on "Heart Beat Rock" or basically just rides on Justice's coattails for "Wow." It's not really a bad dance record, I think, but nowhere near Fever.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
Re: Kylie Minogue's 'X'
« Reply #1 on: 02 Dec 2007, 14:18 »

Given that she's never done anything remotely as good as Annie or The Pipettes, I think my girlpop music needs are satisfied with not bothering to listen to her.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #2 on: 02 Dec 2007, 14:20 »

Are you an acquaintance of Andy Falkous' by any chance?

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #3 on: 02 Dec 2007, 14:58 »

Sometimes I have difficulty telling whether any of you are serious at all ever.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #4 on: 02 Dec 2007, 15:09 »

I can't understand people who appreciate pop music disliking The Pipettes.

Even after a year I haven't gotten tired of them, and I listen to them pretty frequently.

Granted, they aren't really working in the same exact genre as Kylie Minogue.  Annie definitely is, though, and I like her a millions times better.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #5 on: 02 Dec 2007, 15:11 »

Anniemal is a really good album but not listening to anyone else making music in the same genre is a little absurd, no? I mean, I still listen to metal bands who aren't Black Sabbath.

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #6 on: 02 Dec 2007, 16:14 »

Is it just me or did you copy that word for word from something you said on the EA forums?

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #7 on: 02 Dec 2007, 16:44 »

Anniemal is a really good album but not listening to anyone else making music in the same genre is a little absurd, no? I mean, I still listen to metal bands who aren't Black Sabbath.

No, I know.  And Kylie Minogue isn't all that bad.  I was just answering your question: Why is nobody talking about it?  For me, I'm not talking about it because I have all the dance-girl-pop music I want right now.  If I ever run out of things to listen to, maybe I'll get more into her.

What I want to know is why nobody is talking about Gowns.  They made the best album of the year.

RE: Tommy: I know they're a "manufactured" band, but it's a matter of opinion whether they're "less than the sum of their influences" or not.  I personally think they are as good as, if not better than, the Phil Spector generated groups.  You disagree; that's cool.  But it's a subjective opinion.  For one thing, The Pipettes have more of a "rock" aesthetic than the groups they're derived from, which I dig.  Also, they're more self-aware and power-oriented.  You'd never hear them sing a song like "He Hit Me (And it Felt Like a Kiss)".

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #8 on: 02 Dec 2007, 17:56 »

For me they're not as enjoyable as they seem like they should be, but I'm reserving judgment until I see them live.

Kylie Minogue, however, I have never particularly liked.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #9 on: 02 Dec 2007, 21:32 »

Kylie Minogue, however, I have never particularly liked.

Also, in reference to the album, it is her tenth and it is the 10th anniversary of Mike Hutchence's death. Meaningless in many ways other than to garner publicity for Boomerang and her album.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #10 on: 03 Dec 2007, 03:09 »

I really need to get a hold of this, 2 Hearts really was a fantastic single and a welcome break from the dancefloor fillers she's become synonymous with. Not that those have been bad but she was in danger of becoming too predictable particularly since tracks like Can't Get You Out Of My Head were played to death. I could happily live my life without ever hearing that song again. But Johnny C's description of this record has definitely got me interested, I really want to find out if she really can manage to keep up the quality of 2 Hearts for a whole album.

Much more important though is the fact that I completely forgot the new Girls Aloud album came out about a week ago. Now that's got me really excited. Call The Shots and Sexy No No No have both been excellent and continued Girls Aloud's brutal dominance of girl group pop (The Pipettes are alright I suppose but really not fit to lick their stilettos). I do wonder if they'll ever manage to make a half-decent video though since the ones two singles from the album so far have been as terrible as their previous efforts. But will they ever manage to top Something Kinda Ooh? Sadly my money's on no, that song's just too perfect to be bettered.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #11 on: 03 Dec 2007, 07:29 »

But Johnny C's description of this record has definitely got me interested, I really want to find out if she really can manage to keep up the quality of 2 Hearts for a whole album.

Well, there's the problem. "2 Hearts" is hands-down the best track on X. Some tracks come close but that one's the best by far.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #12 on: 03 Dec 2007, 07:49 »

How the hell did I manage to completely misread what you wrote so badly? Oh well, it'll still be worth a listen. Close to '2 Hearts' would still be pretty damn good.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #13 on: 03 Dec 2007, 12:04 »

I really didn't like '2 Hearts' very much, I think I'll wait it out.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.
Pages: [1]   Go Up