THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 11 Jun 2024, 04:11
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption  (Read 15561 times)

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
« on: 29 Aug 2007, 00:53 »

Anybody else have this game yet? I just got the Ice Missile powerup, which you get from I believe the third boss. It's a lot of fun, and much more action-oriented than the previous 2 Metroid Prime games. I think the control scheme really works well, and I feel more comfortable with it after a few hours of playing even more than the dual-joystick setup (or mouse and keyboard, but that's because I never play PC games). That being said, it's not like a hardcore shooter. I don't think that headshots do inherently more damage than hitting any other part of the body. However, it's definitely got plenty of action. After a couple of hours, my hands started to hurt from gripping the controller so tightly.

Any other thoughts? I tried to avoid spoilers, but to be honest there aren't many to give away.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

ScrambledGregs

Re: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
« Reply #1 on: 29 Aug 2007, 07:54 »

I should really go pick this up, but I'm in the middle of playing RE4 on the Wii and I've still got to borrow Zelda from a friend.

ackblom12

« Reply #2 on: 29 Aug 2007, 16:59 »

In about 2 days I'll be playing it obsessively and geeking over it in this very thread.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #3 on: 29 Aug 2007, 17:25 »

Gah, I'm stuck on the boss after the one I beat last night. I can't figure out how to damage him!

MC

• Furry furrier
« Reply #4 on: 29 Aug 2007, 17:42 »

Anybody else have this game yet? I just got the Ice Missile powerup, which you get from I believe the third boss. It's a lot of fun, and much more action-oriented than the previous 2 Metroid Prime games. I think the control scheme really works well, and I feel more comfortable with it after a few hours of playing even more than the dual-joystick setup (or mouse and keyboard, but that's because I never play PC games). That being said, it's not like a hardcore shooter. I don't think that headshots do inherently more damage than hitting any other part of the body. However, it's definitely got plenty of action. After a couple of hours, my hands started to hurt from gripping the controller so tightly.

Any other thoughts? I tried to avoid spoilers, but to be honest there aren't many to give away.

is this for the Wii or the Gamecube? This is the first time I heard of the 3rd sequel. I own number 1 and I've heard great things about number 2.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #5 on: 29 Aug 2007, 17:53 »

It's on the Wii. I don't think even Nintendo is making Gamecube games anymore.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #6 on: 29 Aug 2007, 17:55 »

Well, Schnappy. You've won this round.

I preordered my copy and Amazon delayed its shipment. I won't get it until Friday at the earliest. Probably next week.

Dirty fuckers.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #7 on: 29 Aug 2007, 17:59 »

Well, Schnappy.

I will destroy you.

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #8 on: 30 Aug 2007, 22:38 »

Own it, have not yet started playing it.  I'm saving the joy of starting on its 60+ hours for labor day weekend.  Every review I've read so far says that its the best thing out for the Wii so far.  Am looking forward it.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #9 on: 31 Aug 2007, 07:14 »

What the Metroid franchise involves, in the most general terms, is a futuristic female bounty hunter exploring alien worlds and gradually acquiring more and more weapons, items, and energy tanks (the series' version of a life bar) while kicking ass and solving some light puzzles. The original Metroid for NES was inspired by the movie Alien, so that should give you a good idea of what you're in for.

I traded some crap in and bought MP3 last night. It is god damned awesome and has the best console first person shooter controls ever. And I truly mean that. It's the closest you can come to keyboard-and-mouse without being keyboard-and-mouse. Don't mistake this for a shooter, though; Metroid Prime games have always been more of a first person action/adventure game than anything else. I'm only about two hours into the game and already I like it more than Metroid Prime 1, though that's more because this game does place a bit more emphasis on action (the first Ridley fight, which isn't a spoiler so shut up, is like the part in Lord of the Rings where Gandalf and the Balrog are falling down that huge pit!!) and much less on the feeling of solitude and creepiness that most other Metroid games go. By that I mean, you actually talk to people and see them in the environments. There will be a few moments where you start to think "man, am I playing Halo??" but the game quickly does away with it before it becomes that.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #10 on: 31 Aug 2007, 07:22 »

Metroid was the original game in the "Metroidvania" genre (as evidenced by the name of the genre) which are action platformers will no real levels to speak of, instead having massive worlds that require exploration to get new abilities to access other parts of the world.

Super Metroid (Metroid 3) has been named the best game ever made for its advances in platforming and, largely, being the best goddamned game ever made (it is currently available for purchase on the Wii's Virtual Console).

The Metroid Prime series is the Metroid series in 3D as an FPS. They still have the same basic layout and philosophy of the original 2D games, however. They are largely, up until Corruption, a side story to Samus's adventures fighting space pirates and preventing the exploitation of the Metroids. However, Corruption looks to be an epic story tying the Prime series directly into the original series.

You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #11 on: 31 Aug 2007, 07:23 »

I did the Ridley fight the other night. Absolutely fucking EPIC!

As I've stated before, I absolutely never get tired of Ridley's theme music.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Spinless

« Reply #12 on: 31 Aug 2007, 10:22 »

For Tommy:

Nintendo Power gave Corruption a perfect 10/10 rating. The game is the second to receive a perfect 10/10 score from the publication, following Resident Evil 4 in January 2005. IGN awarded the game a 9.5 out of 10. The review noted that it was beautifully designed and is currently the best game for the Wii. Despite citing that the game is similar to the previous games therefore lowering its score by a small margin, IGN did conclude that it is the best game in the Prime trilogy.[27]

Corruption scored a 9.6 out of 10 in a Gametrailers.com video review. The reviewer praised the more user-friendly and action-packed nature of the game compared to Metroid Prime and Echoes. The site also praised the superior motion-sensitive controls, stating, "After playing Metroid Prime 3 you'll never want to play a shooter with dual analog controls again, it's that good." They further added that those elements make Corruption "far superior to the original Metroid Prime".[28]

1UP.com gave the game a 9 out of 10. The review highlighted the controls and said the graphics were "some of the best visuals in gaming, period".[29] GameSpot, who gave the game 8.5 out of 10, stated the game possessed enjoyable puzzles, boss battles, atmospheric levels and smooth gameplay. [30]

If you can handle zombies/spanish people in RE4, I'm sure you can do aliens in Metroid.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #13 on: 31 Aug 2007, 10:31 »

I really think you should give it a shot, Tommy. It's sort of like Resident Evil, but a bit slower and the puzzles aren't, 'hey, stick these gems together and shove them in a door somewhere!' Also, instead of revolvers and shotguns you have a fucking laser cannon on your arm that can also shoot missiles.

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #14 on: 31 Aug 2007, 10:39 »

Am I the only one who's having an absolute fucking blast with the grapple beam?! I haven't gotten such a kick out of it since it first popped up in Super Metroid and I honestly thought how they planned to impliment it in this one was pretty lame in previews. Now that I'm actually using it to rip shields and doors off, I can't get enough of the thing (Especially in that battle in the fire area).
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #15 on: 31 Aug 2007, 13:10 »

Someone send him a copy of Zelda, I hear Tommy has a picturesque ass.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #16 on: 31 Aug 2007, 13:17 »

By the way, everyone should make sure they're using the Advanced control settings. It's by far the best one. Hell, even I use it and I'm pretty dreadful at shooters.

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #17 on: 31 Aug 2007, 13:27 »

What's the difference?  I'm barely out of the tutorial and I got to say, I'm loving the controls.  Most immersive controls I've ever used on a platform game.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #18 on: 31 Aug 2007, 13:45 »

Am I the only one who's having an absolute fucking blast with the grapple beam?! I haven't gotten such a kick out of it since it first popped up in Super Metroid and I honestly thought how they planned to impliment it in this one was pretty lame in previews. Now that I'm actually using it to rip shields and doors off, I can't get enough of the thing (Especially in that battle in the fire area).

ME TOO!! God, I love the grapple beam. Also, all the parts where you manually control Samus's hand to manipulate switches are genius. I remember people bitching about how Wii games would become these lame experiences where instead of hitting A to open a door, you'd have to grab the door knob and then twist and pull backwards. Well, that's fucking awesome!! Granted Metroid Prime 3's version of this is like "hit A, move remote away from screen, twist counter clockwise, move back toward screen" but man is it fun. Why is it fun?? I don't know why, but it is. It's so...physical, but never irritatingly so.

ackblom12

« Reply #19 on: 31 Aug 2007, 16:23 »

Just played about an hour and dear lord, no FPS game made after this has any excuse not to use the advanced control scheme for the Wii.

Ally

« Reply #20 on: 01 Sep 2007, 13:46 »

Hey... hey, guys. Do you know what Samus wears when she isn't in her power suit?

A: An Aran.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #21 on: 02 Sep 2007, 18:41 »

Apparently if you play the NTSC version of Metroid on your PAL Wii the only side-effect is an additional News and Weather Channel.

I think it says something about my desire for symmetry when I tell you I cannot do this because it would be unbearable for me to see two additional cloned channels each time.

So move the cloned channels to another part of the menu so you don't see them when you boot the system.

Ally

« Reply #22 on: 02 Sep 2007, 19:31 »

Yeah! I'm going to knit it when I get a chance, in bright power suit orange. And then I will walk around and say to people, "I'd take this sweater off, but you didn't beat the game fast enough."

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #23 on: 02 Sep 2007, 19:36 »

Ally, I...

I think I love you now.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #24 on: 03 Sep 2007, 13:58 »

I don't understand: is the whole GFS Valhalla thing optional, or required?? Because finding all the energy tanks to open up its various areas is annoying, backtracking hell. And that's assuming you even know where they are based on the obscure 'clues' they give you.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #25 on: 03 Sep 2007, 15:08 »

I'm stuck on Elysia while trying to assemble the bomb. It's getting on my nerves so I'm taking a break for a while.

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh
« Reply #26 on: 03 Sep 2007, 15:17 »

I just finished Elysia and those Phazon Metroid were freaking me out, they were like those facehuggers in Alien except that they didn't rape your face

I just landed on the Space Pirate Homeworld
Sometimes I look at Achewood archives while listening to Spoon.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #27 on: 04 Sep 2007, 07:04 »

They actually do rape your face, though. You have to go into morph ball mode and bomb to get them off.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #28 on: 15 Sep 2007, 05:13 »

I think I'm the only person on earth who doesn't really like the controls. I just can't seem to get the hang of it.

OH GOD IT'S BECAUSE I'M OLD ISN'T IT
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

ScrambledGregs

« Reply #29 on: 15 Sep 2007, 07:46 »

Try turning on Advanced controls. That seems to cure a lot of people's problems.

Tyrial

• Not quite a lurker
  • Resident Tripod Nut
« Reply #30 on: 03 Jan 2008, 02:40 »

Is anyone interested in swapping friend vouchers with me? I want to unlock the rest of the extras, but need friend tokens and currently have no one with which to trade. PM me with you Wii friend code if your interested!
"There ain't no nothing we can't love each other through" - Tripod

PacoSees

« Reply #31 on: 03 Jan 2008, 03:00 »

I don't understand: is the whole GFS Valhalla thing optional, or required?? Because finding all the energy tanks to open up its various areas is annoying, backtracking hell. And that's assuming you even know where they are based on the obscure 'clues' they give you.

Just wait til the clues turn into:

"Hey I wonder what's at that bright white spot on my minimap... the last energy Tank I needed?!  Thanks, good people of the MP3 design team!"

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #32 on: 03 Jan 2008, 03:05 »

Fuck the guy who decided to just give yout he option to have all of the upgrades on your map.

Ruined the game for me.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.
Pages: [1]   Go Up