THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 May 2024, 10:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Matthew Reilly - Are you guilty?  (Read 2746 times)

Neskah

• Balloon animal serial killer
Matthew Reilly - Are you guilty?
« on: 14 Feb 2008, 01:57 »

Has anyone else read his books? Does any one else enjoy them?

I read Contest a few years ago and was sucked in. I then bought Temple and Ice station. I moved on for a few years and yesterday purchased Seven Wonders.

I honestly can't say anything else about his books other then that I enjoy them. They are so cliche, but they're fun. They're like the Haunted house at the carnival. Not at all scary, very cheesy, but very atmospheric, will make you jump once or twice and you really kinda do wanna see what's around the next corner.

My father read contest and instantly disdained them. "Thats not at all posssible!"

Which kinda misses the point. Most things in the Die Hard movies would never happen but the explosions can be fun to watch.

Is anyone else guilty of enjoying this dirty pleasure?
One of the most basic rules for survival is never upset someone wearing Black Leather - This is why PETA never throws paint on Hells Angels.

wineman

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
Re: Matthew Reilly - Are you guilty?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2008, 09:07 »

I love Matt Reilly's books.  Fun, fast paced action books are great when you don't really want to turn on your brain but want something more stimulating than tv.  I think his biggest asset is his meticulous planning of his books.  I met him at a signing and she goes through and basically storyboards his books much as he would for a movie.  Sometimes you can kinda tell he's writing it to become a movie, but he is also a screenwriter so I guess that makes sense.

BTW, your father was reading contest and talking about things that weren't possible?  The story is full of space-teleporting monsters and a ton of things that don't exist.  It seems like physics and many other science thoughts should be suspended the minute a lot of that stuff starts happening.

I would suggest reading Ice Station, Temple, Scarecrow, or 7 Ancient Wonders if you haven't.  Ice Station is my favorite.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2008, 14:26 »

I was guilty of reading them when I was pre-teen and I didn't like them because they weren't challenging books, and I like a challenge so I started reading Pratchett and Fforde and I've never looked back.

elcapitan

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #3 on: 05 Mar 2008, 06:11 »

Matthew Reilly's books are unreadable trash, and an embarrassment to serious Australian literature.

I mean, he uses fucking sound effects like he would in a low-budget action film. And in a totally unironic way.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #4 on: 05 Mar 2008, 22:47 »

I like a challenge so I started reading Pratchett and Fforde and I've never looked back.

What?

I mean I love both those authors to death but theres no possible way they could be considered challenging. Hell, even a Rielly book is more challenging because it's large enough to beat a flightless bird to death with.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #5 on: 05 Mar 2008, 23:27 »

The challenge was moving off from the completely superficial to things with more subtle meanings and a deeper sense of humour.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #6 on: 06 Mar 2008, 00:36 »

To draw an analogy, I would consider it much more challenging to lie on my couch doing absolutely nothing but watching Jerry Springer than I would find it to lead a positive and compelling life.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk
Pages: [1]   Go Up