THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 May 2024, 15:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 82   Go Down

Author Topic: Whatever, Let's Have A Goddamn Blog Thread, But Try And Keep It Reasonable  (Read 765667 times)

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW

God damn it all, I just found out that my best friend is a Loose Change nut. It's like finding out your best friend is addicted to crack.

I found out that my temp-drummer/full-time friend is a Loose Change fan as well (along with various other conspiracy theory Internet films). I had a lengthy debate with him about it on Saturday and basically tried to tactfully have a discussion with him. It ended well, actually.
Heh, my friend has a degree in orbital mechanics and thus can dangle the whole "I know engineering and steel doesn't melt blah blah blah" thing over my head. But I suppose it just comes down to personal preference. Some people, like me, look at a terrorist attack ostensibly committed by young arab men and figure that it's probably blowback, the result of several decades' worth of seriously fucked up foreign policy in the Middle East. Others, like my friend, look at it and see a planned, mind-bogglingly elaborate controlled exercise committed by the cigarette smoking man and / or David Icke's reptilians (including but not limited to Kris Kristofferson), for a nebulous reason, that is nearly flawless in its execution except that it can be divined by a slim few open-minded people who just happen to own copies of The Protocols of the Elders of Zion.

So yeah, it bothers me some. I like systems, I like things that fit together and rely at least in part on established knowns, and Loose Change requires many leaps of faith to swallow. Fie.

Anyway, this friend was supposed to take me out for a birthday dinner tonight but she hasn't called and it's fast approaching time for my next class. I'm pretty surprised by how hurt I feel. I guess I was really looking forward to that dinner.
« Last Edit: 26 Aug 2008, 16:08 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

20 jazz funk greats

• The Tickler
  • ~*~*~*~*~
    • tumblrs are cool right

dear blog thread,

it's my birthday in two days.
the past few years, my birthdays haven't been anything special so i'm not really getting my hopes up for this one. my boyfriend said he'll throw me a party and i told him not to bother doing anything but he insisted so i eventually agreed because he actually likes event planning, and i don't.  however he was too busy (with video games...) to start inviting people ahead of time. so i end up with this lame 3-person dinner get-together because it's "hard to get anything arranged on such short notice"... ugh. what short notice? we discussed this at the beginning of the month and you said you'd do it, so why is it my job to keep reminding you?  also, you've known when my birthday is for quite a while.

i realize these are silly complaints, but most of my posts here haven't been whiny, so hey, let me have my last silly teenage angst moment.
 :wink:

i'm not even upset, just generally irratated.

love,
anna
Quote from: KvP
When our powers combine we are awkward internet
Quote from: Jace
All Canadians are two to four Welsh Corgis in a human suit.
http://nowaver.tumblr.com
http://twitter.com/witchykeen

20 jazz funk greats

• The Tickler
  • ~*~*~*~*~
    • tumblrs are cool right

Could be worse. On my 12th birthday the cops showed up for my dad. Because all of the cocaine. Kind of ruined things just a little.

seriously?

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki

I am willing to play for the silver in the Miserable Birthday Olympics:

I discovered I have an extremely severe and potentially fatal nut allergy on my eighth birthday when my throat began closing up after eating some cookies my grandmother brought me.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

20 jazz funk greats

• The Tickler
  • ~*~*~*~*~
    • tumblrs are cool right

damn it guys, i didn't realize this was a competition.
if i had known ahead of time i would have posted a less lame birthday story.

Leinad

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

One time I got tinker toys instead of lincoln logs.

AM I DOING IT RONG?

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute

For my 21st birthday party, one friend turned up. And a whole bunch of my parents' friends. Sure, it's not as outright disastrous as some other people's stories, but it is in the category of "small humiliations and occurrences that gradually crush your soul".

Oh yeah, and then on my 24th birthday some guys hijacked some aeroplanes and flew them into the Pentagon and the Twin Towers.

tania

• famed sex columnist

high five harry!
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Inlander

• coprophage

You share a birthday with Tania then.

Never forget!

How could I forget? Every year you bastards start a birthday thread for Tania, and then if I'm lucky you start one for me as if it was some kind of guilty afterthought!

Also I was getting confused. That was totally not my 24th birthday, it was my 22nd. I got confused because my 24th birthday was the one that I had in Arctic Finland - which is also where I'll be having my 29th birthday in a couple of weeks!

Tania, I don't do high-fives. However I will offer you a friendly and congratulatory hand-shake.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker

Dear Blog thread,

Quick question!

There is a very large (illegal) warehouse party this weekend. Due to its proximity to the inner-city, the riot police will almost definitely show up, as they have done before.

Should I try and cover this event for my journalism course, or should I just go and have fun?

I'm currently leaning towards "have fun" but might also bring a tape-recorder and camera in case anything extra-exciting happens.

Fond regards etc. etc.

-Nick.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm

Both, dude. You can totally do both.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Inlander

• coprophage

Gonzo journalism.

dennis

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • A sockful of quarters makes the medicine go down.
    • Lies! Truth!

I smoked Hookah for the first time ever yesterday. We got like, 3 bongs and 3 flavors for ten dollars because my friend's cousin was working, so we saved about $50. So that was cool. It was pretty cool but even though they showed me how to take the hits right and stuff I didn't get the hit I normally do from tobacco, which wasn't really the point, I guess. Anyways, it was pretty chill, just smoking hookah for an hour or two, talking.
God. The first time I smoked shisha, I didn't know I wasn't supposed to inhale and I spent the next few hours green and lying on the floor hoping the earth would blow up.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HARRY
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker

Both, dude. You can totally do both.

Gonzo journalism.

Sounds good to me!

Hmm, I really didn't need much convincing.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC

When I was sixteen my friends and I would plan massive birthday parties for people, things which were in the planning stages like a month in advance and that would happen on the weekend and be specifically geared towards the person and have a bunch of their friends and run all night and they were awesome. On my seventeenth birthday I was taken out to Tim Horton's basically on a whim by about six of my friends. Two more friends showed up and gave me a D&D For Dummies book as well as a card with a picture of Louis Armstrong puffing his cheeks and holding his mouth. One friend explained that he had puked and the other had drank it. This was something that had actually happened. Then they left. This caused another friend of mine to cry and leave. Those of us who were left went to yet another friend's house and watched Pauly Shore's film, In The Army Now. Everyone was tired and filtered out eventually. I was in bed by about 10:30.

This isn't the worst thing to happen in the world but it kind of put me off my own birthday. When friends ask what I'm doing I tend to tell them "nothing," which is basically true.

I've noticed lately that this makes me care less about the birthdays of my friends. This sucks and I'm trying to change it.

blah birthdays
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

negative creep

• Scrabble hacker

I smoked Hookah for the first time ever yesterday. We got like, 3 bongs and 3 flavors for ten dollars because my friend's cousin was working, so we saved about $50. So that was cool. It was pretty cool but even though they showed me how to take the hits right and stuff I didn't get the hit I normally do from tobacco, which wasn't really the point, I guess. Anyways, it was pretty chill, just smoking hookah for an hour or two, talking.
God. The first time I smoked shisha, I didn't know I wasn't supposed to inhale and I spent the next few hours green and lying on the floor hoping the earth would blow up.

What? Of course you are supposed to inhale! At least that's what I did whenever i smoked shisha. I don't remember turning green, though...

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
    • Facebookfacebookfacebook

Yeah, sounds like you just had some bad Shisha. If that's even a thing.

Leinad

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

dah fuck is shisha?

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!

Hookah.

It's easy if you try!

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker

Maybe he went to an opium den by mistake!

Were you in colonial India? 'Cause that would've been a dead giveaway.

Alex C

• comeback tour!

Sherlock Holmes spottings are never a good sign either.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor

I can't get into a couple of the classes I would need to graduate by December. So now I guess I'll go to school part-time for two damn semesters and work a lot? Maybe get a second internship? This is really annoying and it's all my fault basically (last summer was The Summer of Brittany's Personal Troubles leading me to Not Care so I missed a couple "core" requirements so I can't get into the upper level classes for my minor).

So now I guess I should proooobably schedule a meeting with my adviser and see if it would be worth it (money-wise!) to get an(other) internship so I'd be full-time.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart

Oh that is just the saddest thing.

My 18th was a combined 18th and 21st for my brother and I (we are 3 years and 1 day apart! Convinient!), which would have been great except all his friends came, and the relatives came, but only one of my friends came!  But that was ok I guess, I still had fun.  Except I do believe that was the day on which I began my horrible illness whci went for about a year and caused me to never be able to eat and be really ill and lose alot of weight and then people thought I was in a starvation drug cult?

Lets face it, that is the only mildly bad birthday I have ever had.
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

Dude, Jens, that absolutely blows, I'm sorry! Sounds about as fun as my last one. I swear to god, if I am called the New Year's Baby one more fucking time, somebody's going to find out what it feels like to have a steel-toed boot do their prostate exam. And my boots are a men's size 12 (Europe: 47).

Dear blog thread,

STORYTIME!

So last year, a cute girl showed up one day and ordered a vanilla iced coffee. She showed up the next day and ordered the same thing. She kept showing up a bunch of times and kept ordering iced coffee, and I gave her the name Iced Coffee Girl in my mind (although I have long since learned her real name). Then eventually she stopped showing up, and I left in September.

I have a longer version of the story, but I'll spare you. Turns out she didn't really give a shit about that lacklustre coffee we serve at work and was more interested in the person making it. Neither of us are single anymore now, and I have also gained a much greater awareness of her kissing skill level.

That is all,
Me!

P.S. - I lied about that being all. I was horsing around with my friend today and I think I fractured my nose when he accidentally elbowed the everliving shitfuck out of it. It makes a squishy-pop sound if I press on it, and it's rather sore even if I don't. It's not broken all the way, I'm pretty sure (it hasn't changed shape at all), but the bone is definitely at least bruised.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest

On my fiancee's birthday earlier this month, she came down with Bell's Palsy; half her face was paralyzed. She's only just now regaining facial movement.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

FUCK THIS DEPRESSING-ASS TOPIC YOU GUYS

HERE'S SOME GODDAMN PUPPIES

(They are not my puppies I just wanted to stop talking about horrible shit that happened to people on their birthday)

(Talk about some cheery shit please)

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

GOOD ENOUGH

0bsessions

• Quiki

(They are not my puppies I just wanted to stop talking about horrible shit that happened to people on their birthday)

(Talk about some cheery shit please)

Man. My dog died on my sixteenth birthday. He was a golden lab named Brandon. *Sigh*
JON MADE ME GAY

0bsessions

• Quiki

That was a lie. My dog actually died the morning we were leaving for a family vacation.
JON MADE ME GAY

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

My favorite childhood kitten (name? Snowball, of course) was killed by our bull terrier on Christmas morning when I was like 8, I shit you not. Bull terriers are bred for killing rats, they say, and I guess he got confused, like a shark mistaking a swimmer for a seal. He was like a stapler and he just lugged that corpse around for a good 15 minutes, even as I was kicking as much shit out of it as I could manage at the time. Dropped it when I went to get a knife from the kitchen.

So if you ever notice my antipathy towards dogs, that'd be why.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh

Hookah.

It's easy if you try!

We call that Nargileh in Lebanon. Last time I went there, I smoke some with my grandmother. No effect, it just tasted good.
Sometimes I look at Achewood archives while listening to Spoon.

inflatable_slide

Today i am legal for today i am SEVENTEEN!
I like birthdays, there's cake and presents and alcohol... i got some really nice clothes and some earrings and im pure del-eye-red like!
im pretty tired from  my midnight cocktail drinking last night though, i hope i dont fall asleep into my nice birthday dinner, mmm aubergine tagine om nom nom nom :D

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker

On my fiancee's birthday earlier this month, she came down with Bell's Palsy; half her face was paralyzed. She's only just now regaining facial movement.

This was just an extremely complicated excuse for why she didn't smile when you gave her presents.

Who wouldn't love a subscription to feetlings.com?
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

20 jazz funk greats

• The Tickler
  • ~*~*~*~*~
    • tumblrs are cool right

dear blog thread,

i really don't understand other women sometimes. and by sometimes i mean most of the time.
 :|
argh. head going to explode.

love,
anna

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

So boys are easier to understand? I think I prefer hanging out with women simply because I can't relate to them. Certainly more fun than the whole bro routine.

Dearest blog thread,

I am considering procuring the first few seasons of the Wire, Tivoing the Shield and cutting myself off from the television otherwise. It'd certainly be better if I could lose all of it, but I have my indulgences, and I've been waiting for this Shield jazz for too long.

Yae or Nae?

Thanks for all the memories,
KvP
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit

I am in Vancouver. Anybody have suggestions for what to do in Vancouver? No one's in Vancouver, right?

20 jazz funk greats

• The Tickler
  • ~*~*~*~*~
    • tumblrs are cool right

So boys are easier to understand? I think I prefer hanging out with women simply because I can't relate to them. Certainly more fun than the whole bro routine.

in my opinion, yes.
i dunno why you'd want to hang out with people you can't relate to on any level ever.  do explain.

Lines

• Awakened

Dearest, Bloggiest Thread...est,

I have stumbled into a Panera and am enjoying a sammich as I read what I've missed in the past 2 weeks. (Which is quite a bit.) I had my interview last Wednesday and am waiting for a call back to see if it's a yay or nay. Tomorrow I will be going to some job fair where for god knows what. Also, my mom bought me a suit because I needed "professional attire" even though I don't have a professional job (yet) and don't really see myself having a job in the future that would require a suit, but whatever, if it gets me a job, then hey. (Also, it's black, so I guess I could wear it to a funeral in the years to come, or something.)

Also, I do not like not having the internet at home. It's like having a hand cut off or something. I didn't realize how much I keep in touch with everyone, let alone you guys, through the interbutts. This sucks.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW

Good luck with the job linds!

Dunno, I mean, all my female friends are totally unlike me. Well traveled, artistic, extroverted. And all my male friends are similar to me. Introverted, analytical, pensive, geeky. While on some level I think I might arrange my life this way I don't necessarily think it's problematic. I've had shut-in female friends and outgoing male friends. Just as a general rule, those friendships don't seem to take root as much. Of the friends that I have in the vicinity I prefer hanging out with the female friends (my social circles happen to be divided by gender and location, go figure) because more often than not when I hang out with my male friends it turns out to be akin to a deleted scene from Knocked Up. That sort of thing has its place and it can be welcome under the right circumstances, but for me it gets tiring very quickly. It's cliche, I suppose, but I have to deal with it.

Actually now that I think about it I think it has more to do with the fact that at this point my old friends (ie the dudes) are soon going to move off to university elsewhere in the State, whereas my new friends (ie the chicks) are situated around my university and the one I'll be attending for the next 4 years. So one hemisphere of my social life is slowly disintegrating whilst the other hemisphere is growing and is being cultivated. So as it stands right now my social life is somewhat skewed.
« Last Edit: 27 Aug 2008, 16:11 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

johnny5

• FIGHT YOU
  • pug pug pug

are you saying he's gayer than The Birdcage?

if that wasn't very good, i'm sorry

hey also linds have you tried a staffing agency? i tried that last time and got like 3-4 calls for interviews within two or three days(i accepted the first interview so the others were moot but the point is i got results)

Lines

• Awakened

John, I have the same kinds of friends, too. Weird. Minus the Knocked Up-like scenarios, because I'm pretty sure only two of my friends found that movie funny.

I have not been to a staffing agency, but I think I will soon if nothing happens.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

johnny5

• FIGHT YOU
  • pug pug pug

i don't know where you live, but if you upload your resume to staffing agencys or places like monster.com, it wouldn't cost you anything and you have the added advantage of people looking for you to hire instead of just you looking for a job.

Elizzybeth

• Beyoncé

I'm on the job hunt, too, Linds.  It's frustrating to have to present yourself as a set of salable skills over and over and over again.

And because I'm currently unemployed and rather low on funds, I was finding it difficult to shell out $60 a month at the pharmaceutical counter for oral contraceptives.  So I'd heard that Planned Parenthood had payment plans or low-cost options for people in my situation, so I made an appointment and went in this morning.  My hopes were not high: at our local grocery store, condoms are literally in a locked cabinet, for no obvious reason but to thicken the cloud of fear and shame that surrounds public knowledge of sexual activity.  It seemed to me that, despite the television and movie industries' increasing comfort with sexual characters, we really have not come too far from our Puritan roots.

And certainly, the forms I filled out in the sterile waiting room were all about being "discreet."  There was almost a full page of questions like, "If we leave a message at the number you've listed, can we say that Planned Parenthood called?  If not, can we say that your doctor called?  If not, is there a code word we can use to let you know that we need to get in contact with you?  List code word here: ___________."

But it was clear that none of that shaming and discretion was coming from their end of the business.  Inside the Education Room, where a nurse in scrubs took my blood pressure and talked to me about the birth control pills, sex was just another health issue.  A flyer on the side of the file cabinet read, "Did you remember to get condoms?  A lubricant?  A chlamydia test?," complete with little pictures of each (chlamydia was represented by a nuzzling couple... go figure).

So I peed in a cup and the nurse came back with a little white bag filled with a year's worth of oral contraceptives, a dozen condoms, a bottle of lubricant, and a morning after pill package, just in case--all at no cost to me.  I'm really touched.  And grateful.

Shame and Puritanism aside, though, isn't this the most sensible of options?  Why don't most private insurance companies here cover contraceptive measures?  It's a lot cheaper for them than paying for a baby, and even couples who carefully use the "rhythm" method have about a 25% failure rate over a year of use.  Combination estrogen and progestin pills, for comparison, fall somewhere between 0.1% and 1% (depending on where you get your statistics).  And basically, fewer unwanted babies is good times for everyone: it takes the pressure off the nursing and teaching shortages, it gives people more time to get more education, which boosts the economy, and it almost certainly will keep juvenile detention facilities emptier... So step up to the plate, heath care!

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!

Man, johnny5, I tried going through Express Personnel and they got me nothing. Totally unfair how much easier it was for you!

Eli

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Crayon teeth draw blood.

My boyfriend and his sister are getting their wisdom teeth out tomorrow. My boyfriend asked for me to come with him for comfort, which is really sweet. Plus, being home alone isn't good for me. I get extremely anxious and panicky when left all alone for a few hours.

Right now, I'm watching the Democratic convention. There's a sound meter on the side of the screen that's totally distracting. I'm not sure what the purpose of it is, but I find myself watching it instead of listening to the speaker.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker

I think it's so you can tell who's winning by the loudness of their applause.

tania

• famed sex columnist

i went clothing shopping today because i lost so much weight this summer from being a healthy person for once that about 50% of my wardrobe is not really wearable anymore. i already had no money and now i have even more... no money, but man it felt really weird and fantastic buying clothing that small.
also, after many sleepless nights and games of email tag with my professors i finally have my schedule sorted out so i can graduate in april like planned.
today's been a pretty good day!
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

20 jazz funk greats

• The Tickler
  • ~*~*~*~*~
    • tumblrs are cool right

so it's past midnight which means it's officially my birthday.
happy birthday to me and such. i can't be bothered trying to sound excited.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 82   Go Up