THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 01 Jun 2024, 04:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 77   Go Down

Author Topic: Let's have a fashion advice thread.  (Read 974062 times)

Social Bacon

• FIGHT YOU
Re: Let's have a fashion advice thread.
« Reply #2400 on: 31 Dec 2008, 12:54 »

Yeah, and trousers should end around the ankle. Turns out my arms and legs are kinda short.

Just take it back to the tailor you bought it from and get it altered, it's an awesome suit that would be totally mindblowing if the sleeves fit perfectly too. I'm used to the troubles of finding suits/jackets that fit well because I'm 6' with short arms and a looooong torso.

St.Germain

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #2401 on: 31 Dec 2008, 13:20 »

On the subject of me "dressing like a dude", the only thing dude like in that picture is my pants, which I stole from boyfriend when they shrunk and didn't fit him anymore. I'm wearing a form-fitting little t-shirt, you just can't see it because the coat is buttoned, and my boyfriend didn't give me any of the pics from when it wasn't buttoned for some reason. Honestly, if people can't tell that I'm a girl, well, they deserve to be confused.

Also, how does one picture with my hat on merit an 'enough with the hat'? It's not like I'm a fucking photo whore with it.

I guess I should have explained that I do not wear what is 'fashionable', I wear what I like and what is comfortable. Most of what people consider fashionable, I'd rather stab myself with an ice pick than wear it.

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #2402 on: 31 Dec 2008, 13:23 »

Katie recommended figleaves a while ago in this thread; it is very good for those of us with (apparently) giant boobs.

www.figleaves.com

I just got my first order and the bra doesn't fit. It's a 36G (US) which is the size I wear but the bra itself doesn't fit true to size. Since I ordered it on sale, I can only return it for a refund. Though I plan on getting a size larger in the same bra cuz it's fucking cute.

This is a great option! However it is a bit expensive, and I usually like to try these sorts of things on, when my last comfy bra dies it's where I'll be going.

PS St Germain put the claws away and chill out.
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #2403 on: 31 Dec 2008, 13:36 »

I guess I should have explained that I do not wear what is 'fashionable', I wear what I like and what is comfortable. Most of what people consider fashionable, I'd rather stab myself with an ice pick than wear it.

Oh, good. Another one.

St.Germain

« Reply #2404 on: 31 Dec 2008, 13:36 »

You're right, I'm sorry. I get really pissed off about random things sometimes.

Edit: "Another one"? Whatever. I have learned not to be on forums when angry. I'll be back tomorrow or something. This is what I get for giving a crap what random internet people think.
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2008, 13:39 by St.Germain »

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #2405 on: 31 Dec 2008, 13:45 »

This is a bad excuse for anything ever. It is the standard "I don't want to try harder, you sheeple" response and it does not hold water. Being fashionable is not wearing what everyone else wears, it's not obsessively watching haute couture and trying to keep up, nor assuming that just because it's a brand name it's what you need to wear. It's looking at what looks good on you and figuring out how to really make it your own. To look fabulous and showing off you as a person at the same time, and it is actually very possible. Exemplar par excellence: Jodie. No one else on these here forums dresses like her at all. She has a style all her own and it looks fantastic. Jodie is fashionable.

I'm sorry, rereading what I said it's kind of harsh, but you are very beautiful and I think you can pull off your own style and still look beautiful, which that outfit is not really doing for me.

Also, I was just saying enough with that hat as a way of saying don't wear it. I know you've never posted it before.
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2008, 14:05 by Ozymandias »
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

plumbob78

• Obscure cultural reference
  • ¡Viva la revolución!
« Reply #2406 on: 31 Dec 2008, 13:49 »

Guys, I just rediscovered this shirt in my closet. I remember buying it because I liked the blues in it, but I have no clue what to wear it with. It looks too blue to wear with jeans. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2008, 13:51 by plumbob78 »

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
« Reply #2407 on: 31 Dec 2008, 13:53 »

I think it would look good with dark blue jeans or maybe grey suit pants.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #2408 on: 31 Dec 2008, 15:21 »

Pants and a Red Bandana around your neck
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

St.Germain

« Reply #2409 on: 31 Dec 2008, 17:15 »

Ok, I know I said I wasn't coming back today, but... I lied.

'Not fashionable' is a disclaimer of sorts, for when people say, "Why the fuck are you wearing that?" For the most part, I look damn good in what I wear, and if that's fashionable, well then I guess I am. I just don't go out of my way. I guess I wasn't aware of the definition of fashionable, and just always assumed I wasn't it.

I don't want one picture of me wearing baggy pants to make people think I can't dress myself. My 'own style' is a bit eclectic, and people tend to judge me on one aspect of it, like what I wear one day. Eventually, I'll probably show off some outfits that better suit my figure, such as it is.

Ok, end of pathetic rant. I just don't want people to think I'm an idiot.

TMac91

« Reply #2410 on: 31 Dec 2008, 17:42 »

That seems like a fairly decent definition..
But wouldn't a combination of the two that have been mentioned on this page be a little more accurate?
Like, it has to be what the local definition of what "cool" is, but then you also have to look good in it, or else it's considered unfashionable, true?

Fenriswolf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #2411 on: 31 Dec 2008, 17:45 »

Being fashionable is not wearing what everyone else wears, it's not obsessively watching haute couture and trying to keep up, nor assuming that just because it's a brand name it's what you need to wear. It's looking at what looks good on you and figuring out how to really make it your own. To look fabulous and showing off you as a person at the same time, and it is actually very possible.
Now ignoring the fact that fashion per se is in fact wearing what's popular, because I know what you mean... you say looking fabulous and showing off your personality is very possible. That's cool.

From my perspective it's probably possible but it's not natural and not something I want to live my life around. I don't want to have to piss about for hours shopping, or worrying about what I'm wearing. Were you the one talking about dressing neutrally? I want to dress neutrally, ie: wear something that looks decent on my body but basically just functions as something to live in.

As a woman this fucking SUCKS because mens clothing is so comfortable, actually has pockets, actually covers your waist, is made out of decent fabric. Also looks like shit on most women. I'm sure there's good stuff out there but considering how hard it is to find a plain t-shirt with no logo, made of decent fabric that suits a female figure and covers your waist it's not like dressing in a fashion that suits you and it comfortable is piss easy.

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
« Reply #2412 on: 31 Dec 2008, 17:48 »

I've always just figured this thread was more about style than fashion. Seems to be a more fitting description when considering the content, at least.

clockworkjames

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Grammar Nazi vs Illiterate Jew
« Reply #2413 on: 31 Dec 2008, 23:25 »

SUITS! You may like your suit but it does not like you! I have never had the pleasure of a tailored suit but I have had an offthehangertallslimpersonsuit altered to fit me perfectly. Still not tailored but a proper suit is the difference of girls jumping in your pants and girls thinking you are wearing hand-me-downs.

If I ever go to asia I am sooo getting a few suits made.

Just pains me to see people in unfitting suits, but when you see a dude in a suit that fits perfectly and looks so natural and stylish on his frame, I want to shake his hand and you KNOW all the ladys want him.
still new here, didn't wanna piss anyone off

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #2414 on: 31 Dec 2008, 23:55 »

We get tailored suits for work. Unforunately it's tan/beige so it doesn't really look all that impressive, but HOT DAMN do I feel awesome wearing it.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

clockworkjames

• Grammar Nazi vs Illiterate Jew
« Reply #2415 on: 01 Jan 2009, 02:03 »

Beige suits can be sexy as fuck, but yeah when you are having a good day, go put a suit on and just walk around a city you feel AWESOME.
still new here, didn't wanna piss anyone off

mooface

« Reply #2416 on: 01 Jan 2009, 03:05 »

i think what is kind of obvious is that there is a difference between being stylish and being fashionable.  you can be stylish and not fashionable, or fashionable and not stylish or you can be both or neither at all!

so what i am trying to say is that i guess this should actually be the "STYLE" advice thread, but who really cares!

men in nice suits that fit them are hottt (extra t's for emphasis!), especially when they are the kind of guy who would never wear a suit unless forced to.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #2417 on: 01 Jan 2009, 13:21 »

Okay.

That tie is awful. Totally bad. I see this. What would've been a good tie?
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

St.Germain

« Reply #2418 on: 01 Jan 2009, 14:11 »

Looking good, Ozy. I'd vote for a more solid color tie, but my experience with ties is limited.

Josefbugman

• Are you Sure thats wise sir?
« Reply #2419 on: 01 Jan 2009, 14:32 »

Sorry if this seems a triffle odd to ask, but what is everyone's opinion on rings? I have this sort of tripple cog ring, each one overlapping another and I wondered if it's a good idea to wear it or not. Not to attract girls (though that may be a nice bonus) but in general, thanks for your time.

Oh and Mr Ozymandias? I would say that the suit itself is a darn good one, but it could have been improved by picking a soley grey tie than a mixed blue and grey one.
Oddly enough the "oh no boobs!" box in the background of todays comic is my usual reaction.

plumbob78

• Obscure cultural reference
  • ¡Viva la revolución!
« Reply #2420 on: 01 Jan 2009, 14:35 »

I don't have much of an opinion on rings. If rings are your thing, I'd say go for it. I used to wear my college class ring all the time, but then I gained weight and it doesn't fit anymore. I plan to lose weight, but probably won't go back to wearing the ring.

edited for typographic fail
« Last Edit: 01 Jan 2009, 14:54 by plumbob78 »

St.Germain

« Reply #2421 on: 01 Jan 2009, 14:47 »

Josefbugman: Personally, and as a girl, I think guys can pull off rings, and long as they're not too... gangster. You know, the gaudy stuff with big ol' jewels on it. Do you have a picture of this ring of yours? It sounds interesting, but I can't really visualize it.

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #2422 on: 01 Jan 2009, 14:55 »

rings can be nice as long as they function like basically any accessory should, which is to compliment an outfit rather than dominating it and being the main thing everyone pays attention to.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #2423 on: 01 Jan 2009, 15:03 »

On the whole I think cog-rings are better-looking than cock-rings.

Yes, yes, boo hiss etc!

On a more serious note, I tend not to see rings as fashion accessories. This is probably because I've never worn a ring that hasn't meant something important to me! So on myself and on others, I like seeing rings that look like they mean something to the wearer, rather than just being fashion accessories. I realise you can't always tell just by looking, of course.

I dunno, I don't feel this way about any other kinda jewellery.

I used to wear a large black plastic skull-ring because it had gotten stuck on my finger under funny circumstances. It was kinda tacky-looking, and annoying as fuck, but it was fun to talk about.

So, in conclusion, rings are good. Esp. if they're meaningful or come with a good story. In terms of style, I find the classic discrete pinky-ring to be the most appealing.
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Professor Snuggles

« Reply #2424 on: 01 Jan 2009, 15:05 »

Ozy, I do not mean this in a harsh way, but you have some bad ties, dude. You seem to favor really bold, garish patterns and colors instead of subtle stripes and solids. Instead of wearing such ostentatious patterns, rock a simple pattern with bright colors if you want flare. You're ties are detracting from the suit, not adding to them at all.

I wear rings as accessories, depending on the outfit I have different stones and different sizes. If you want to make it your "thing" that's cool too, but I dunno if it's worth it.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #2425 on: 01 Jan 2009, 15:07 »

Kiff, I know, man. I have come to understand this, looking at that tie. I could've looked so rad, but that tie is making me angry. I need tie help really bad.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Josefbugman

« Reply #2426 on: 01 Jan 2009, 15:11 »

No stone in the ring, just three cogs, overlapping (looking for the bugger now, the house is a tip atm and I have no picture of it)

My one is from Germany, got it at a market stall, I have been trying to collect little momentoes for each of my foreign trips for a while now. I have thin fingers (pianists fingers as I am told) and I have to put it on the actual ring finger for it to not fall off every other second :-). Its usually a little thing, there is no point having a well turned out young man and then runing it with a diamond the size of calcutta on their finger.

Wiil try and get a picture asap, but if I can't I may have to google image it (Oh dear)
Oddly enough the "oh no boobs!" box in the background of todays comic is my usual reaction.

Aimless

• Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #2427 on: 01 Jan 2009, 15:16 »

Not ties that look like pictures and abstract art.

Woulda loved to see a nice bright red tie with that suit and shirt, with like scrollwork or something, but I dunno if that would go well with your colours.

I would say shades of blue, patterned but not in any colours that contrast too strongly. Pref. blue :p

The suit is sweet. IMO, it'd look good with an elegantly patterned tie rather than something too bold or something just plain solid.
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Professor Snuggles

« Reply #2428 on: 01 Jan 2009, 15:18 »

Get the one in the middle. That is the kind of tie you should be wearing.

St.Germain

« Reply #2429 on: 01 Jan 2009, 16:20 »

In a wild subject-changing move, I steer away from ties and gleefully declare that I'm going to get some classic Doc Martens. These: http://www.onlineshoes.com/productpage.asp?gen=m&pcid=89447.

I've wanted some for a few years, and my hiking boots just feel apart and my sneakers are no good in snow, so now I have an excuse to get them. I'm pretty damn excited.

Josefbugman

« Reply #2430 on: 01 Jan 2009, 16:54 »

Yeah... try and that makes you look the ambassador from somewhere with cash... try a Belgian one, that way you get diplomatic immunity AND choclate :-)

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #2431 on: 01 Jan 2009, 18:51 »

Huda beats all of you, and she don't need no ties.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2432 on: 01 Jan 2009, 19:55 »

I generally prefer solid ties or patterns that are very subtle, but I like them in bright colors. Your suit would look nice with yellow, silver, green, light blue, or even purple. The only reason I wouldn't recommend red is because I don't fancy red, white, and blue combinations all that much, unless they want the political/patriotic look.

Also, I like this tie. (The blue/green one.)
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #2433 on: 01 Jan 2009, 20:21 »

Man, paisley..

In theory I like paisley patterns a lot but in practice it's just one of those things that's pretty uniformly a bad call in any situation.*

* that isn't a rave/International Society for Krishna Consciousness gathering/Jimmy Buffett concert

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2434 on: 01 Jan 2009, 20:44 »

Basically I would wear it. I don't know how I'd react to seeing a man wearing it.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2435 on: 01 Jan 2009, 20:46 »

That's still a little ostentatious but I like the colors. I prefer simple like this, this, this. Subtle is good! Always!
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Nodaisho

« Reply #2436 on: 01 Jan 2009, 20:50 »

In a wild subject-changing move, I steer away from ties and gleefully declare that I'm going to get some classic Doc Martens. These: http://www.onlineshoes.com/productpage.asp?gen=m&pcid=89447.

I've wanted some for a few years, and my hiking boots just feel apart and my sneakers are no good in snow, so now I have an excuse to get them. I'm pretty damn excited.
If I were you, I'd get some insoles as well as those, from my experience Docs really benefit from new insoles. I have a pair that I never wear, they are more the work boots than combat boots, for when I need to look less scary.

What about paisley on bandannas? I don't really see many non paisley bandannas. Also saw a paisley pattern Telecaster that was one of the few I liked. Sadly, I'm pretty sure it got stolen, as I haven't seen it since the guy's truck and equipment got stolen. I wouldn't wear paisley, but I don't dislike it.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
« Reply #2437 on: 01 Jan 2009, 21:14 »

My theory with ties is you either have to go SUPER GAY, pink and purple flashy shit, or really subtle and sleak and thin.  Also, ties are meant to be worn with vests. VESTSSSS!

OZY: Besides the tie, I really like that suit. It looks very nicely tailored.
« Last Edit: 01 Jan 2009, 21:16 by Skibas_clavicle »
I like the way you work it.

Gilead

« Reply #2438 on: 01 Jan 2009, 21:48 »

I'm back from sydney, with FASHUNZ.

AND BADLY TAKEN PICS.

My new shirt, and blue jeans, I was looking in to the sun which is why I look like I'm about to choke a bitch.

New grey jeans!

New grey formal shorts!

Gilead

« Reply #2439 on: 01 Jan 2009, 21:51 »

The shirt's Claude Maus, The jeans are Hell's Bells (bue) and April 77 (grey), the shorts are a minor label.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #2440 on: 01 Jan 2009, 22:04 »

RE: Ties, I honestly just usually (very rarely, when I'm forced to wear one) go with something wildly colorful and strangely patterned. Since I wear them so rarely, I figure I might as well make it stand out, whether it looks good or not.  :wink:  Think like, a really colorful JGarcia, something like this http://www.abcneckties.com/gasitieteshe.html.
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #2441 on: 01 Jan 2009, 22:17 »

That is horrendous.

Gilead

« Reply #2442 on: 01 Jan 2009, 22:21 »

Man I don't make salad very often so when I do I just pour a whole pound of salt on it, so the taste really stands out.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #2443 on: 01 Jan 2009, 22:26 »

Eh, I personally like them, and I don't take my dressed-up self seriously, so the hell with it.

And your humorous salad/salt comparison is not analogous  :-D

Gilead

« Reply #2444 on: 01 Jan 2009, 22:28 »

Your face is analogous.

TO AN ASS.

Spluff

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • it is time to party
« Reply #2445 on: 01 Jan 2009, 22:30 »

Pictures

I like the first two, they look quite good. But those shorts, man, please don't wear them. They are not flattering on you.
[16:27] Ozy:  has joined the room
[16:27] Quietus: porn necklace!
[16:27] Quietus: Shove it up yer vag!
[16:27] Ozy: has left the room

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #2446 on: 01 Jan 2009, 22:32 »

Ouch man, ouch. OVER THE LINE.  :cry:

And yes, my modern American sensibilities tell me that shorts that length are probably not a good idea on a man.

Gilead

« Reply #2447 on: 01 Jan 2009, 22:34 »

This is a challenge, you've challenged me now.

Social Bacon

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #2448 on: 01 Jan 2009, 22:36 »

A short-shorts theme?

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #2449 on: 01 Jan 2009, 22:36 »

I really like these kind of shorts, but only with sandals, not those shoes ick
King of Kings baby.