THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 May 2024, 14:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 77   Go Down

Author Topic: Let's have a fashion advice thread.  (Read 965599 times)

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
Re: Let's have a fashion advice thread.
« Reply #2200 on: 19 Dec 2008, 20:40 »

I bought a new pair of frames today!

They are rad
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

negative creep

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #2201 on: 19 Dec 2008, 21:17 »

Indeed they are.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #2202 on: 20 Dec 2008, 01:36 »

www.styletip.com

hee hee it always amuses me when Korean words are simply transcriptions of English words in Korean letters. That website's logo isn't the words "style tip" translated into Korean, it is a sequence of Korean letters that are pronounced "suh-ta-eel teeb dat cum".
« Last Edit: 20 Dec 2008, 01:43 by jhocking »

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
  • Lurker of Lovecraftian proportion
    • Obligatory Social Networking Page
« Reply #2203 on: 20 Dec 2008, 12:34 »

Guys.

Normally I wear pretty basic stuff, usually comic shirts plus cargo pants, but on Thursday it was the Xmas party for the place I work and I decided to try something a bit different;

The tie is a lot looser than it seems to appear here. I know the pants are kinda wrong, I was planning on wearing darker ones (not dissimilar to these) but apart from that I really liked it. What do you think would be a good way to compliment this kind of style, or should I even bother continuing with it? A friend recommended wearing either jeans or generally 'tighter' pants with it, but I really hate anything that conforms to my figure in any way, hence why I usually wear really baggy cargo pants. I don't mind form-fitting shirts or so, though.

Can't find a decent pic of my standard get-up anywhere.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #2204 on: 20 Dec 2008, 17:02 »

I'd wear the tie tightened right up to the collar (not so it's constricting, just a bit neater), and wear a different belt- I don't like the way it hangs down. Also, I'd tend to agree with your friend on the pants. Not necessarily tight pants, but just something a bit less baggy.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #2205 on: 20 Dec 2008, 17:50 »

Yeah I would totally wear it up tighter, it makes it look a lot neater, same thing with the pants. The belt should gooo, those hanging belts have no place in semi formal(or anywhere, but that's a matter of taste I suppose). And form fitting is the way you want to go with anything formal/semi formal otherwise you look like you're messy or don't know what you're doing, or only doing it because your mom made you. See: Christmas dinner in 9th grade
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

Gilead

« Reply #2206 on: 21 Dec 2008, 03:47 »

maxus3k: Tighten that tie, do up your top button, get a grown up belt and get some pants that fit.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #2207 on: 21 Dec 2008, 04:08 »

maxus3k: Tighten that tie, do up your top button, get a grown up belt and get some pants that fit.

This.
That looks more like "hey, lets go to the bar after work. I'll change out of my slacks and we'll be good to go."
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #2208 on: 21 Dec 2008, 14:22 »

But that's about right for most works Xmas dos I've experienced.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Tyler

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • SKULLTOPUS
« Reply #2209 on: 21 Dec 2008, 17:06 »

The white tie made me think you were a member of Green Day or Good Charlotte when worn that casually. I am with Gilead on this one. Spiffing up is the best option.
Quote from: Lunchbox
It is not wussy. There are orifices being assaulted all over the shop.

J-cob9000

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • i forgot why i made that picture
« Reply #2210 on: 21 Dec 2008, 17:12 »

I have a black polo shirt.
I wear ties with it. To school.
Yes?

BTW. They are not loose ties and they do not, thank Heavens, look like a Green Day or Good Charlotte member.

Again I say. Yes? No? Maybe? Pictures?

Tyler

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • SKULLTOPUS
« Reply #2211 on: 21 Dec 2008, 17:26 »

Ties with a polo shirt? I would need a picture to confirm or deny my visualizing this possible atrocity.

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #2212 on: 21 Dec 2008, 17:29 »

I wear ties with polo's sometimes, but only if I have a sweater over it. I am not crazy about the tie-with-short-sleeves look, personally. It is probably a safe bet though, assuming you wear it well and don't have a terrible hair cut.

I just got a vest from my cousin's as a late birthday present! It's pretty slick, definitely a little bougey, but since all I really want to do is look like a 35 year old wall street exec but with class, I can probably rock it. The brand is Kill City though, and I don't know how I feel about that at all.

jmrz

• Beyoncé
  • zomg pale
    • flickr
« Reply #2213 on: 21 Dec 2008, 18:40 »

RE: Brand names

I've come to realise, that no matter how much money you pay for a piece of clothing with a brand name on it - it still has the potential to look like absolute shit. Granted, the same goes for something you pay $10 for at a no-big-name-brand store. Basically, brand names don't really matter to me. I buy things that I like, that suit me, that look good on me. I don't see why brand names SHOULD matter. Unless of course there is going to be a significant difference in durability and what-have-you, paying extra for the name, is kind of silly to me.
Quote from: Daniel on Gabbly
princy, this is the time to think with your vagina
Quote from: Iananan on Gabbly
nipples are deactivated at birth, to prevent misfires and accident

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #2214 on: 21 Dec 2008, 19:18 »

I don't know about tie-with-polo either. The tie with short sleeves look mostly suggests office worker/compulsory uniform to me. I generally prefer long sleeved shirts with the sleeves rolled up, it has a more kinda rumpled-formal vibe. Bonus points if you have tatoos on the arm, a la Mr. David Dovey. 
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #2215 on: 21 Dec 2008, 20:28 »

Tie avec Polo under Sweater, meaning all you see is the collar, and you dont have two competing sleeves getting clumped together if the shirt isnt the right level of baggy.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

Gilead

« Reply #2216 on: 21 Dec 2008, 23:16 »

RE: Brand names

I've come to realise, that no matter how much money you pay for a piece of clothing with a brand name on it - it still has the potential to look like absolute shit. Granted, the same goes for something you pay $10 for at a no-big-name-brand store. Basically, brand names don't really matter to me. I buy things that I like, that suit me, that look good on me. I don't see why brand names SHOULD matter. Unless of course there is going to be a significant difference in durability and what-have-you, paying extra for the name, is kind of silly to me.
Big brand name clothing is mostly a pile of crap anyway, it's only the awesome high quality labels that don't really get hyped that are actually remotely worth the price tag that most high fashion stuff is priced at.

Professor Snuggles

« Reply #2217 on: 21 Dec 2008, 23:42 »

Big Brand names aren't all good, some are, it's quality of worksmanship, sometimes you pay more just for the name, etc etc etc.

Brands that cost a bunch and are worth it: PBJ, APC, Lanvin, Dior, etc

Brands that cost a bunch and suck: True Religion, Seven for all Mankind, most of the rest.

mooface

« Reply #2218 on: 21 Dec 2008, 23:44 »

since we're on the topic, i'd just like to throw out there something that has always bothered me:
 the women i know who shop only at gucci and prada are also among the worst dressed people i've ever met.  it's as if they think the price of their clothing is the only thing that matters, so they throw the most expensive shit on that they can find no matter how ugly or mismatched.  it's kind of sickening actually - if i had that much money to throw away on clothes i would look so much better (though this is not saying much)!

Gilead

« Reply #2219 on: 22 Dec 2008, 02:41 »

If I had that much money to spend on clothes I'd dress like a band of outsiders model every day.

every. day.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2220 on: 22 Dec 2008, 04:04 »

Ties with a polo shirt? I would need a picture to confirm or deny my visualizing this possible atrocity.

I'm calling definite atrocity. The idea just sounds wrong.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

J-cob9000

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #2221 on: 22 Dec 2008, 20:55 »

Hmm. No camera currently. But pictures will arrive as soon as I can.

People give me compliments. Then again, this is high school. They wear tit curtains*.

*Maddox reference.

Professor Snuggles

« Reply #2222 on: 22 Dec 2008, 21:08 »

Don't reference Maddox, dude. And that term sucks.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #2223 on: 22 Dec 2008, 23:32 »

Guys show me some cool shoes. I'm mostly  looking for classy but casual square-toe loafers with a slight heel, to wear with slim boot cut jeans. I'm getting really tired of sneakers, even cool ones, and want to go for a more confident, mature look over a sloppy teenage one.

In the same vein, zip-up ankle boots?

I suppose I'm mostly looking at these in black, because it is easy to dress up or down and matches with jeans in most any color. Would it be smart to get black boots and dark brown shoes or vice versa?
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2224 on: 23 Dec 2008, 07:10 »

This shirt came in the mail yesterday, along with its cousin (which is orange/grey/brown, instead of green). I think it looks pretty ace, and it fits me really well. It looks especially nice with my herringbone fedora.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #2225 on: 23 Dec 2008, 08:10 »

Shannnne I got the cardigan yesterday! It is still a size or two too big, so I am going to have to try shrink it some more. But thank you!
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #2226 on: 23 Dec 2008, 09:04 »

Way to go Shane, making me look bad.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #2227 on: 23 Dec 2008, 09:09 »

Shannnne I got the cardigan yesterday! It is still a size or two too big, so I am going to have to try shrink it some more. But thank you!

Pics when you get it shrunken enough! I would imagine it'd look quite cute on a lady.

J-cob9000

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #2228 on: 23 Dec 2008, 12:03 »

Don't reference Maddox, dude. And that term sucks.
Well, I don't know the real name for the things so I had to.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2229 on: 23 Dec 2008, 12:26 »

So I finally got around to buying myself a Little Black Dress, but now that I've tried it on at home, I think it may be a bit too much Little and not enough Dress.

Opinions on whether I can de-slut this with the right accessories, or if I should just take it back would be appreciated.

Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2230 on: 23 Dec 2008, 12:36 »

I would wear it, if I had legs as nice as yours, with sheer tights, knee-high boots (preferably not black) and some elegant jewellry. It will be a fine line between slutty and elegant but I think the point of a little black dress is to find that line and trace it. If you feel uncomfortable about how short it is (and it is pretty short) then wear black tights.

We need to see a front view of the bottom of the dress to really judge how short it is, though. From the side view it looks about long enough to get away with.

On a similar note, a girl in my english class came to college a few weeks ago in a jumper and tights. That is it. The jumper was shorter than the afore-mentioned dress and the tights were not opaque. Apparently she couldn't find her shorts.

My question is, if she needed to wear tights with her shorts (and boy did she need to, it is VERY cold here at the moment) then why wear shorts? Or rather, why wear no shorts? What is wrong with trousers? Is this just me? Is it stylish to wear tights, shorts, sandals and legwarmers?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

pen

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #2231 on: 23 Dec 2008, 12:46 »

Hartley, that dress is very very pretty, but I know I'd be all kinds of uncomfortable in it.  I'd end up constantly pulling it down.  How high does it ride when you sit?  The top is absolutely gorgeous, so if you can let down the bottom hem about an inch, it should be perfectly classy!
Cross-dressing national monuments are always exciting.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2232 on: 23 Dec 2008, 13:36 »

Theres the front-view shortness. It doesn't ride up that much more when I sit thanks to a wide stretchy band at the bottom, but the band makes lowering the hem a lot more complicated.

also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2233 on: 23 Dec 2008, 13:37 »

Actually, the LBD was originally meant to be mostly about versatility and the ability to dress the thing up and down rather quickly by adding or subtracting great accessories. Provocative vs. elegant weren't really prime considerations.  Anyway, modern variations almost always err towards flirty since it's easier to add a nice jacket or something than it is to subtract fabric, but at the end of the day, where you're going should still be a prime consideration.

Anyhow, yeah, that one is too short. Even worse, the length is the only thing noteworthy about the bottom; with some digging you could probably find something simultaneously more modest and more interesting fairly easily.
« Last Edit: 23 Dec 2008, 13:40 by Alex C »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2234 on: 23 Dec 2008, 13:39 »

It has some pretty detailing at the neck which is not showing up too well but yeah, it's too short to wear anywhere but a club I think. I can wear it as a top for dancing though, so I'll probably keep it for that and find a different dress.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2235 on: 23 Dec 2008, 13:44 »

I should have posted more clearly; I have nothing against the top half at all and didn't mean to imply that I think it's boring. That criticism was meant just for the skirt, which basically says "Short skirt is short," and little else. You're almost there, I just think it'd be a shame to stop at almost, that's all.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2236 on: 23 Dec 2008, 14:01 »

Ellis- get a double-breasted pea coat in wool with a lining. Seriously, the classiest warm coat you can find, and it looks great with scarves instead of snowmannish like puffy jackets do.
And thanks about the hair:)

PS Pen- Hartley is RunsWithScissors and way younger than me! I'm Manda!
« Last Edit: 23 Dec 2008, 15:10 by redglasscurls »

Spluff

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • it is time to party
« Reply #2237 on: 23 Dec 2008, 15:15 »

(I'm pretty sure all pea coats are double breasted)
[16:27] Ozy:  has joined the room
[16:27] Quietus: porn necklace!
[16:27] Quietus: Shove it up yer vag!
[16:27] Ozy: has left the room

fatty

• FIGHT YOU
    • the Notorious F.A.T.T.Y.
« Reply #2238 on: 23 Dec 2008, 15:16 »

As a girl who is often wearing very short skirts, I'm actually inclined to say that it is too short.
Also, I strongly dislike skirts with the stretchy bit at the bottom. Mostly because i only see slutty girls in clubs wear dresses like that. This is because they think they can get away with skirts that barely cover their crotch if they're tight enough to stay down while dancing.

If you do choose to keep it, I thought maybe you could put a short full frill around the bottom. It wouldn't make it that much longer, but it would take the focus away from the shortness. I'm trying to find and example, but I think it would pretty cute in black or a contrast colour. Alternatively, a band of stretchy lace.

No way, pea coats can be single or double breasted!

Not exactly how I imagine it, but you'll get the drift:
http://www.constanceeyre.co.uk/knitted-dress/knitted-dress-kirsten2b.jpg
« Last Edit: 23 Dec 2008, 15:22 by fatty »
est: she is basically an ass to everyone

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2239 on: 23 Dec 2008, 15:50 »

Single breasted coat. Also pretty but not nearly as warm.

Tyler

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • SKULLTOPUS
« Reply #2240 on: 23 Dec 2008, 16:00 »

Manda is right about the double breasted. I also would suggest a nice top coat.

I love coats like that top coat which have a zip out lining. My current coat has it, and makes it functional nearly year round.

Professor Snuggles

« Reply #2241 on: 23 Dec 2008, 16:09 »

Amanda you are honestly the most attractive female boarder. The fact that you're engaged means my heart is in a constant case of 10% brokenness.

pen

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #2242 on: 23 Dec 2008, 16:15 »

Eep!  Sorry Manda!  I don't talk to both of you often enough, apparently.  =)
Cross-dressing national monuments are always exciting.

Spluff

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • it is time to party
« Reply #2243 on: 23 Dec 2008, 16:20 »

coat

Single breasted coat. Also pretty but not nearly as warm.

That is not a pea coat, though! That is a car coat. Pea coats have to be double breasted. It is a Thing.
[16:27] Ozy:  has joined the room
[16:27] Quietus: porn necklace!
[16:27] Quietus: Shove it up yer vag!
[16:27] Ozy: has left the room

St.Germain

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #2244 on: 23 Dec 2008, 16:27 »

Ellis: My coat is classy and warm. I made mine though, so I gave it a fleece lining, which made it cozy. It's long, somewhat fitted, and a few inches above my ankles. I'm looking for pictures of it as we speak.

Edit: Aha! I don't really have any pictures of my coat, but I finally found the pattern I used:
http://simplicity.com/dv1_v4.cfm?design=4962

As you can see, it's actually for a costume, I made mine out of black 'moleskin' and lined it with fleece and put little claspy things on the front, making it fit for practical use.
« Last Edit: 23 Dec 2008, 16:45 by St.Germain »

Tyler

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • SKULLTOPUS
« Reply #2245 on: 23 Dec 2008, 17:32 »

A topcoat is more or less an overcoat that ends above the knee.

Nodaisho

« Reply #2246 on: 23 Dec 2008, 17:33 »

Germain, I think that this thread needs pictures of the finished product badly, if you can take some.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Runs_With_Scissors

• FIGHT YOU
  • Cockslayer!
    • My blog :)
« Reply #2247 on: 23 Dec 2008, 17:47 »

Hartley, that dress is very very pretty, but I know I'd be all kinds of uncomfortable in it.
Did someone steal my name? o.o Oh jeez...I've been gone for way to long.
On a different topic, I was wondering if anyone knows whether it's possible for a coat to be both classy and warm.
I think it depends on how cold the weather is. Most of the coats being talked about already probably wouldn't keep you very warm in say...20 degrees. I think once you hit 30 degrees or so the classy jackets don't really hold up (Correct me if I'm wrong though, I live with people who practically live in Carhart jackets with hooded sweatshirts underneath).
I'm the fucking Han Solo of forum politics.

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #2248 on: 23 Dec 2008, 20:07 »

Man, I totally do not think that dress is too short, it is flattering on you and if you've got it why not flatter yourself? As long as you're comfy I say go for it, it'd be cute with tights and boots or with a long long necklace etc
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

Nodaisho

« Reply #2249 on: 23 Dec 2008, 22:06 »

I wouldn't be surprised if a nice thick greatcoat would work well for heavy weather, you ought to be able to find one that looks good. I'm thinking one similarly styled to the other coats that you see in this thread, but longer and maybe heavier.

Of course, it does depend on how cold you are talking.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 77   Go Up