THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 May 2024, 00:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 77   Go Down

Author Topic: Let's have a fashion advice thread.  (Read 965340 times)

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
Re: Let's have a fascist advice thread.
« Reply #2900 on: 15 Jan 2009, 09:11 »

I think you can wear a lot of black garments if you also wear a bright color to offset the drab, be it brightly colored tights, jewelery, moonboots (in orange, of course), or a smile.

Josefbugman

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Are you Sure thats wise sir?
« Reply #2901 on: 15 Jan 2009, 09:15 »

I smile a lot, just generally not with the teeth. But I don't smile for photo's, it always looks like its put on, and its not pretty.
Oddly enough the "oh no boobs!" box in the background of todays comic is my usual reaction.

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #2902 on: 15 Jan 2009, 09:17 »

I'm going to the thrift store today to get some decent-looking clothes, and planning on getting a black vest, a black tie (I really ought to remember how to tie one one of these days. Or I could just stick with clip-ons), and a red shirt, to wear with black slacks, black shoes, a black fedora, and a black trench coat, when appropriate. I was thinking a darker red tone, would that not work well?
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Josefbugman

« Reply #2903 on: 15 Jan 2009, 09:20 »

As Bela Lugosi ably showed it should not be all that hard to pull off. Of course, it may help if you don't wear that all the time.

BUY A REAL TIE! I cannot stress how much better they look.

Also, perhaps that may be a bit too much black, you don't want to look too dark now.
Oddly enough the "oh no boobs!" box in the background of todays comic is my usual reaction.

Nodaisho

« Reply #2904 on: 15 Jan 2009, 09:28 »

Wait, I thought Dracula was in black and white? How could you tell what color his clothes were?

I guess that with the vest and the coat, it could be a bit much black showing, where as with only one of them, it would be showing a good amount of the red. Any suggestions, other than don't wear them both at the same time? Don't think a contrasting belt would be all that good (hey guys! look at my crotch!) but I can't think of any other things that would off-set the black.

This would just be for formal-ish occasions, where I want to look nicer than cargo pants and camo jacket. Not something I would make a staple of my wardrobe, unless I really liked it (and it wasn't summer. Cursed daystar).

Josefbugman

« Reply #2905 on: 15 Jan 2009, 09:32 »

Maybe I am getting confused, the cape and other stuff I have seen was dark red+ black? No doubt some imbecility on my part, I do apoligise.

I dunno if someone has a nice crotch, though how that is actually possible is beyond my limited sartorial knowledge, then a belt might be rather good. Try a white on occasion, or a darker brown just don't have all black.

Ooh! Summer soon and female friend coming up for the weekend, I am going to get to go shopping.

Nodaisho

« Reply #2906 on: 15 Jan 2009, 09:42 »

I think that might just be the vampire stereotype (red=blood, black=night, evil), I was really wondering if he did wear that, wasn't meaning it as sarcasm.

I really don't want to draw attention to my crotch, I think I'm going to stick with black for the belt. I'll figure out something for contrast.

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #2907 on: 15 Jan 2009, 09:49 »

I'm going to the thrift store today to get some decent-looking clothes, and planning on getting a black vest, a black tie (I really ought to remember how to tie one one of these days. Or I could just stick with clip-ons), and a red shirt, to wear with black slacks, black shoes, a black fedora, and a black trench coat, when appropriate. I was thinking a darker red tone, would that not work well?

This is not a bad look, per se, but do you really need to wear that much black? Like, there is a fine line between dark and roguishly handsome and "I am a creature of the night." I am not so sure you want to bring that out that much. Also, you could look like a ska kid, and unless you are still in High School, that's just depressing.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2908 on: 15 Jan 2009, 09:56 »

Kiff, if you continue this 70s thing through till the summer, here is a tip on shorts from my 1970s dad
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

Professor Snuggles

« Reply #2909 on: 15 Jan 2009, 10:10 »

Holy shit

Nodaisho

« Reply #2910 on: 15 Jan 2009, 10:17 »

This is not a bad look, per se, but do you really need to wear that much black? Like, there is a fine line between dark and roguishly handsome and "I am a creature of the night." I am not so sure you want to bring that out that much. Also, you could look like a ska kid, and unless you are still in High School, that's just depressing.
Well, I would like more non-black, but not sure what I could wear for that. The main idea of the look was the vest, shirt, and slacks, the coat was an afterthought, since I know that a good part of the year, I'm going to want a jacket.

Would a red tie over a vest look decent? I'm used to thinking of ties as going under, so I'm skeptical, but if I could get matching tones for the shirt and the tie, it might look decent.

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck

Nodaisho

« Reply #2912 on: 15 Jan 2009, 12:26 »

Where do you live, Kieffer? If it isn't within 100 miles of me, I'm going to say go for it.

I think I figured out my answer to the not enough color bit when I looked at the belt: gold tie. The belt has a brass... buckle, I guess? It isn't one of those big belt buckles, just the actual necessary part to keep the belt from coming undone. Now I just have to find a good vest, a tie, and take a power drill to the belt, so it has holes that will allow the belt to fit me.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #2913 on: 15 Jan 2009, 14:28 »

Would a red tie over a vest look decent? I'm used to thinking of ties as going under, so I'm skeptical, but if I could get matching tones for the shirt and the tie, it might look decent.

The tie must be under the vest. Must! If you want to show off your tie, then when your jacket is off you can undo the vest.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
« Reply #2914 on: 15 Jan 2009, 14:40 »

Yeah, agreed, the tie needs to go under the vest. I think if I saw someone wearing the tie over the vest, I'd initially think he wasn't aware of the fact that it had been pulled out, or that he hadn't finished dressing.

What kinds of jackets do you ladies wear during late spring/summer/early fall? I think I need a new one, because honestly, the one I have looks fucking awful and I cannot understand why I ever bought it. And, well, I have a Nike Windrunner that I kinda love, but I don't really pull it off that well and I definitely need something a bit nicer, and I find it difficult to find things that look good on my body.

Nodaisho

« Reply #2915 on: 15 Jan 2009, 14:54 »

Well, I discovered a flaw in my town's thrift shops: They each have maybe three formal vests. And no place had one that was both black and not ugly-looking leather. Did find a very nice shirt, though, and a nice warm leather jacket for $8. The shirt is a burgundy button-up, got it for $3. I'm very happy with it, now I just need a vest and tie. Unfortunately, I have found that I do not have the right head for a fedora. I guess I'll just keep my hair in a ponytail.

Professor Snuggles

« Reply #2916 on: 15 Jan 2009, 14:57 »

Is the vest really that essential? Like, if you're gonna be doing that, you should basically just be wearing a full suit. Otherwise, you're still in Ska Kid territory.

Nodaisho

« Reply #2917 on: 15 Jan 2009, 15:07 »

I think you missed the part where many inhabitants of this thread declared their love for vests.

What is a ska kid, anyway? I was in high school three years ago, and don't know what you are talking about. I have only seen that term since then.

I think the progress of my idea went something like this: Oooh, I like that dark red button-up with the black, looks a bit formal even. Then, "Hmm, I like the way vests look." Then, "You know, if I did the formal vest, shirt, tie, slacks, and shoes with the right trench coat, that would be almost a suit, but a bit more my style."

So, pretty much, the vest isn't essential, but it should make the outfit look a bit sharper than just a dress shirt and black slacks.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2918 on: 15 Jan 2009, 15:16 »

A ska kid is like a rude boy except they're white and lame.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Nodaisho

« Reply #2919 on: 15 Jan 2009, 15:25 »

What's a rude boy? At my school, we had emos, mall-goths, punks, skaters, preppy kids, gangsters, wangsters, and a token redneck.

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2920 on: 15 Jan 2009, 15:44 »

I just had teenagers at my high school.

Nodaisho

« Reply #2921 on: 15 Jan 2009, 15:45 »

Then who was teaching?

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #2922 on: 15 Jan 2009, 15:49 »

they teach themselves.

it's a very progessive school.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

benji

« Reply #2923 on: 15 Jan 2009, 15:54 »

What's a rude boy?

Originally, a Rude Boy was sort of like a gangster from Jamaica. Because of this, it became associated with Ska music (which was originally a little like Reggae but faster and with horns). Then the Clash and some other punk bands got in to Ska, and so a bunch of Punks started calling themselves Rudi or Rude Boy, which was kind of silly because they weren't being shot at in Trenchtown, but whatever, it had about as much validity as bunch of white kids in suburbia deciding they were "gangsta's."
This signature is intentionally left blank.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2924 on: 15 Jan 2009, 15:57 »

Exactly. It's all part of white people's rich history of stealing from the black man. Rude boys wore suits, skinny ties, and raised hell while listening to rocksteady. Ska kids are dorks who don't realize that nobody relevant has called themselves a rude boy for decades now and just won't let this shit die.

Tragically, it can result in people dressed like this :
« Last Edit: 15 Jan 2009, 16:03 by Alex C »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Nodaisho

« Reply #2925 on: 15 Jan 2009, 16:05 »

Ah, okay.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
« Reply #2926 on: 15 Jan 2009, 16:12 »

Man, I lost my labcoat, and now, due to this thread, I feel like I lost my sexy. Even though my labcoat was covered in myseterious chemical stains and smelt of formaldehyde.
I like the way you work it.

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #2927 on: 15 Jan 2009, 16:14 »

Where the hell is everybody getting these labcoats?

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #2928 on: 15 Jan 2009, 16:18 »

labs. duh.

funny story: i saw a sign on the side of the road once that said "free lab puppies" and my first thought was "i have to save those puppies so they don't get experimented on!"

later, my friends explained to me that they were talking about labradors and not labratories.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2929 on: 15 Jan 2009, 16:40 »

Yeah, I bought mine for my bio/chem/physics/soil science labs. I wear it for about 6 hours almost every week.
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #2930 on: 15 Jan 2009, 16:44 »

Yes well for all the hating Ska Kids.  Mods were founded on the notion that Rudeboys were the shit.  And we can safely agree Mods are pretty awesome.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2931 on: 15 Jan 2009, 16:55 »

Mods were founded on the notion that Rudeboys were the shit.

That is not true in any way.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Gilead

« Reply #2932 on: 15 Jan 2009, 16:59 »

Mods were founded on the notion that Rudeboys were the shit.

That is not true in any way.
Uh, yeah it kind of is, the mod style and mod music take huge influence from the rudeboy immigrants of the west indies.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #2933 on: 15 Jan 2009, 16:59 »

I mean it's not like some dudes in London heard a ska record and were all "YES, LET US WEAR SUITS AND MAKEUP AND DRIVE TINY ITALIAN MOTORBIKES AND INVENT NORTHERN SOUL AND TAKE SPEED VROOM VROOM"
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #2934 on: 15 Jan 2009, 17:01 »

There's a bit of cross-pollination from the Jamaican immigrants but the mod scene grew out of jazz and European art films more than anything. Mod is short for 'modernist'.

Josefbugman

« Reply #2935 on: 15 Jan 2009, 17:05 »

The only mods I know fought the rockers in the 1950's. What the hell are you guys talking about?

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #2936 on: 15 Jan 2009, 17:37 »

.. same ones.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

Professor Snuggles

« Reply #2937 on: 15 Jan 2009, 17:41 »

Can we change the name back? This is dumb.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
Re: Let's have a fashion advice thread.
« Reply #2938 on: 15 Jan 2009, 17:47 »

Only the OP or a mod can fix the thread title but I will reverse the stupid from here on.

Professor Snuggles

« Reply #2939 on: 15 Jan 2009, 18:38 »

I meant the name of the thread, I got no problems with discussing mods and rockers etc etc etc.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #2940 on: 15 Jan 2009, 20:23 »

Yeah that's what I meant. I reversed the title switch but apparently it's only effective for the single post?

Animal Ghosts, what do you wear during the summer? I have yet to see a pair of shorts that isn't hideous (save for some bermuda shorts that I only seem to see on the street but never in stores) and the cut-offs I wore all of last summer were somewhat of a bad call. Ideas?

Professor Snuggles

« Reply #2941 on: 15 Jan 2009, 20:55 »

I mostly just wear jeans, sometimes slacks, but that's just cuz I don't love my legs and I look good in jeans.

I got a couple pairs of dressier shorts over the summer, and I like them a whole bunch, but it's hard for me to figure out how to wear them. I want to be able to just wear them, but I feel like a T-Shirt isn't quite enough to wear with them, and Dress shirts don't quite work. Plus, I have an absurd amount of trouble picking out shoes to go with shorts, I think I just need to get some low-top chucks, or maybe a pair of boat shoes or something, because I always just ended up wearing vans.

mbb

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #2942 on: 15 Jan 2009, 21:15 »

I've seen a lot of guys that wear board shorts in public here, and it doesn't look bad. But I live in a pretty serious surfing town, so I guess that makes sense.

Professor Snuggles

« Reply #2943 on: 15 Jan 2009, 21:17 »

No, board shorts in public do in fact look bad.

mbb

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #2944 on: 15 Jan 2009, 22:04 »

Eh. Maybe with how bad some people dress here they look good by comparison.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #2945 on: 15 Jan 2009, 22:17 »

Or maybe you like the way they look and taste is a subjective thing.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #2946 on: 15 Jan 2009, 22:18 »

Correction: taste is sometimes a subjective thing.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #2947 on: 15 Jan 2009, 22:23 »

Boardies are pretty much par for the course here, though it's mid summer and the city is on the coast.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Professor Snuggles

« Reply #2948 on: 15 Jan 2009, 22:29 »

Or maybe you like the way they look and taste is a subjective thing.

Nope guess again.

Yunior

• Furry furrier
« Reply #2949 on: 16 Jan 2009, 14:48 »

So much black is hard to do, and hard to do well, but done right, can potentially look sharp. I'm pretty sure the trick with any really monochromatic outfit is in texture. It sort of provides the eye with something to look at and think about in the absence of other things? I saw this girl today wearing a black peacoat and carrying a black leather bag over her shoulder (one of those kind of big structured purses, y'know?) and the contrast between the leather and the fabric really made a potentially heavy outfit, much much lighter.

But seriously, done poorly, it looks childish. What is the purpose of so much black? Like, I dunno if you know, color is so rad.
[02:00] Dollface: clara you are awesome
[02:00] clara: oh thanks dollface
[02:00] Dollface: whos awesome you are clara
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 77   Go Up