THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 May 2024, 09:22
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 77   Go Down

Author Topic: Let's have a fashion advice thread.  (Read 972122 times)

Harun

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
Re: Let's have a fashion advice thread.
« Reply #3100 on: 25 Jan 2009, 22:54 »

Not really. She's hemmed a couple pairs of my pants, and even tailored an entire suit for me, all for the price of my gratitude.  8-)

Cicero

« Reply #3101 on: 25 Jan 2009, 22:56 »

I bought two shirts for five dollars at Savers the other day.   Starter youth large FSU shirt.   It's tight.   That one was just a buck.

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #3102 on: 25 Jan 2009, 23:47 »

Buying suits at thrift stores is a risky proposition, they rarely fit well, and unless you want to drop bil$$ on tailoring, you're probably better off just saving up and getting something nice.
For 30 pounds, I doubt he is getting a tailored suit jacket. That means he just has to try to find one that fits decently.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Josefbugman

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Are you Sure thats wise sir?
« Reply #3103 on: 26 Jan 2009, 01:07 »

The problem is, I am not paying for my clothing, my parents said they would and I don't want to cause them extra expense. If it were my own money I would try and find a properly tailored jacket.
Oddly enough the "oh no boobs!" box in the background of todays comic is my usual reaction.

evernew

• Curry sauce
  • Put a bangin' DONK on it!
« Reply #3104 on: 26 Jan 2009, 08:27 »

I have new sunglasses!
This is big news because I have bad eyesight and my prescription doesn't make lenses in that strength so easy.
When it was still mostly small frames, I would just put other sunglasses over my regular glasses and got used to wearing huge shades (Aviators and a cheap knockoff i got in Turkey).
This is a step back. Because I can see properly through them, I don't need a big frame!
I love them.

Go Go Gadget Crappy Webcam!
The Donk of Canterbury wishes everybody good tidings.

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #3105 on: 26 Jan 2009, 11:33 »

Provided you like wearing sarongs, yeah.

There is nothing wrong with sarongs >:C
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #3106 on: 26 Jan 2009, 12:04 »

I have new sunglasses!
This is big news because I have bad eyesight and my prescription doesn't make lenses in that strength so easy.
When it was still mostly small frames, I would just put other sunglasses over my regular glasses and got used to wearing huge shades (Aviators and a cheap knockoff i got in Turkey).
This is a step back. Because I can see properly through them, I don't need a big frame!
I love them.

Go Go Gadget Crappy Webcam!

Those are Ray-ban Wayfarers, honey frames with black arms? I have those.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #3107 on: 26 Jan 2009, 12:58 »

It is time for another installment of Things I Like. Just two today, though.

Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

mietteissass

« Reply #3108 on: 26 Jan 2009, 13:23 »

Oh the beige shirt is cute but it would only work for girls with smaller breasts' Big breasted women would look like those stripes were trying to hold them up and failing.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #3109 on: 26 Jan 2009, 13:26 »

I know, that is why I am so sad. It would probably never look good on me but it's so goddamn cute that I just want it.

*sigh*
Liz is touching me.

MrSteevo

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Bros before hoes dawg
« Reply #3110 on: 26 Jan 2009, 17:00 »

Hello QC fashion advice thread,
I have a problem I hope you can help me with.
I wish to find some nice shoes, comfortable, well fitting, and with a cool design, or a colour that's not just plain black or white.
So, the problem? I have wide feet, which are size 13 (12 or 14 depending on the company)
if you could help me find a pair I like, I will be so grateful.
You would not be able to kill me. I would win.

Professor Snuggles

« Reply #3111 on: 26 Jan 2009, 17:02 »

Puma Suedes or Clyde's

You're welcome.

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
« Reply #3112 on: 01 Feb 2009, 10:41 »

http://www.namasteneedles.com/products/handbags/pop_newport_colors.php

Fashion thread, what do you think of these? I'm not much of a handbag-person, but I realize that I really need one, and I kinda liked this one (the brown or charcoal ones, not the blue/brighr red ones), I think.

http://www.mariannesnetthus.com/archives/1020 has a couple of pictures in use/of the inside.

Professor Snuggles

« Reply #3113 on: 01 Feb 2009, 11:13 »

The charcoal, Olive, and Saddle are alright.

Rest are kinda gross.

Yunior

• Furry furrier
« Reply #3114 on: 01 Feb 2009, 13:09 »

Ladybug, I am looking at the rest of their bags and it is definitely the style and structure I like best. The only thing I am curious about is the material. It shines in a way that makes my skin crawl. What the heck is that? Also, what do you see yourself carrying? The caveat I see with a lot of big bags is that they are meant to carry lots of stuff (duh), but then the strap is just not suited to the task and ends up digging into your skin (which feels bad and looks awful) AND/OR it ends up looking massively bulky. In the latter situation, I feel like the shininess of the material isn't gonna help you out in deceiving people about just how much you are carrying.

Bags are a really great thing! Ladybug I totally implore you to get into bags, they make life easier and are probably the easiest way to look a little more put-together.
[02:00] Dollface: clara you are awesome
[02:00] clara: oh thanks dollface
[02:00] Dollface: whos awesome you are clara

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
« Reply #3115 on: 01 Feb 2009, 13:22 »

Yeah, the shinyness of the material made me a little bit skeptic as well. I mostly see myself carrying typical purse-stuff, but also sometimes my knitting or writing materials for school, and often a cardigan or scarf or hat or something like that. I think I need a bag that I can take to school as an alternative to my backpack when I don't need a bunch of stuff, but also something I can use when trying to look decent. Ideally it would carry my laptop at times as well (13" MacBook), but that might be hoping for too much, I dunno.

But hm, at least now I know a style I like and can actually look for things that resemble it when I'm downtown.

sean

• welp
« Reply #3116 on: 01 Feb 2009, 13:47 »

Hey fashion thread I got a pair of these: http://www.adbusters.org/cultureshop/blackspot/sneaker And they were only 50 bucks. They are the raddest things. I will take a picture when I relocate my camera.

Also I got a cool new button down which I guess I will photograph as well.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #3117 on: 01 Feb 2009, 19:20 »

Guys, help me out.

I realized recently that I look good in casual button down shirts as an everyday thing, and I've been trying to take advantage of this. Being an everyday thing, I mostly wear them with skin tight girl pants or on occasion slim boot cut jeans.

My problem is, I only own a few. A handful of plaid shirts that my mom bought from the Eddie Bauer store back when I still let her dress me (this was like four years ago, they were hideous and over-sized and now they're fantastic). I bought a few casual shirts at H&M but they fit a little weird and are a pain in the ass to take care of (attract lint like nothing else, are super thin so I have to iron them straight out of the washing machine or they look like they were pulled out of a cow's ass).

I'm looking for tacky-but-not-completely-over-the-top cowboy shirts (something you'd find in a Nudie suit) and the usual plaid. But I've looked through thousands of HIPSTER PLAID WESTERN SHIRT listings on eBay and most of them are complete shit. Vintage stores net better finds but they're all priced upwards of $300.

Where do I find these things?

Me:

What I'm looking for:

As well as more of what I'm wearing in the first picture.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

Tyler

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • SKULLTOPUS
« Reply #3118 on: 01 Feb 2009, 19:22 »

A cowboy themed party at an elementary school.
Quote from: Lunchbox
It is not wussy. There are orifices being assaulted all over the shop.

sean

• welp
« Reply #3119 on: 01 Feb 2009, 19:23 »

gene you live in new york. find a thrift store or punk store that sells used clothing. you can probably find a shirt like that in some new york shop for like 20 bucks.

Nodaisho

« Reply #3120 on: 01 Feb 2009, 19:26 »

Gene, where abouts are you? Around here, you would want to look at an old guy's yard sale, though they might not fit well. If there is a ranchwear place around where you live, they probably have them as well. For the shirts like in the first picture, you could probably find some at thrift stores or department stores. Might be able to find a few of the tacky shirts at thrift stores as well.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3121 on: 01 Feb 2009, 19:27 »

I bought a few casual shirts at H&M but they fit a little weird

I've noticed this too. It's like even their men's clothing is made for women.

phooey

• FIGHT YOU
  • prisencolinensinainciusol
« Reply #3122 on: 01 Feb 2009, 19:31 »

ridiculous hair/outfit guy

Is this guy's first name Alex?  He looks a lot like somebody I used to know.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #3123 on: 01 Feb 2009, 19:33 »

gene you live in new york. find a thrift store or punk store that sells used clothing. you can probably find a shirt like that in some new york shop for like 20 bucks.

You would think, but they're all shit and look like something from an old guy's yard sale.

Just 'cause I'm looking for plaid and western shirts doesn't mean I want to look like I ride a John Deere to work.

No his name isn't Alex.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #3124 on: 01 Feb 2009, 19:54 »

Man, I don't know.  I don't like either of those shirts.  The cowboy one just looks straight up ridiculous and I have a thing against plaid because where I grew up plaid flannelette was a bogan uniform of sorts.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #3125 on: 01 Feb 2009, 20:15 »

Gene, that first shirt is great. That second one is ugly, sorry. And I hope that's not you in those blue pants. Friggin bulge is weirding me out.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

sean

• welp
« Reply #3126 on: 01 Feb 2009, 20:24 »

The first shirt is better gene. If good cowboy shirts are hard to find i suggest sticking with button downs. You can never go wrong with button downs.

MrSteevo

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Bros before hoes dawg
« Reply #3127 on: 01 Feb 2009, 20:36 »

ridiculous hair/outfit guy

Is this guy's first name Alex?

Hmm, I was thinking the same thing, Maybe it's the same Alex we're thinking of... if so I'm freaked out a bit.
You would not be able to kill me. I would win.

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #3128 on: 01 Feb 2009, 21:10 »

fashion advice thread, i could sure use your help. i'm looking for a job for when i finish school and i don't know how to dress myself for work or job interviews or whatever. i have some shirts and a pair of pants and a pair of shoes but not much else beyond that.

here is what i put together from stuff in my closet. i know i pretty much look and dress like a dude but that is sort of inevitable cos i hate skirts and do not own or know how to put on makeup and will probably never stop having short hair. i am sorry also for the crappy photo.

do i look stupid? does kind of looking and dressing like a guy make me look less employable? what should i do to try to look more employable? you can go ahead and be completely critical if you want to because dressing up is something i really want to know how to do. i will go out and buy new clothes if i need to. also i am going to a massive career fair wednesday afternoon so any input before then would be super.
« Last Edit: 01 Feb 2009, 21:25 by tania »
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #3129 on: 01 Feb 2009, 21:26 »

The first shirt is actually me. Wearing a shirt that I own.

The second shirt is a friend of mine and I guess it's a poor attempt at explaining what I want.

Second attempt: I want a pearl snap rockabilly-esque shirt that is two tone and cut like the cowboy shirt my friend is wearing, only less "rodeo clown" and more "well fitting western themed shirt"

Also where do I find plaid on the internet that is cool plaid and not grandpa plaid?

Josefbugman

« Reply #3130 on: 02 Feb 2009, 01:46 »

In reply to Tania: Looks fine to me, just make sure that you have a firm handshake and look the people straight in the eye and you should be fine.

Also, what sort of shoes are they? Because if they are quite big and clunky I would recommend smaller, thinner ones. Mostly because the big ones usually look rather scuffed, but also because it doesn't make you look as if you have something to prove.

Sorry if this advice is stupid.
Oddly enough the "oh no boobs!" box in the background of todays comic is my usual reaction.

mooface

« Reply #3131 on: 02 Feb 2009, 02:38 »

tania, you look really nice!  i have to agree about the shoes though.  if you're afraid of looking "boyish" but don't feel like dealing with dresses or skirts, maybe try wearing extra feminine shoes? not necessarily high heels but maybe some nice flats/low heels, or even kitty heels?

you could also try accessorising with jewlery but i don't know if you are really into that.  you look good as is though, so i wouldn't really worry too much about it honestly.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #3132 on: 02 Feb 2009, 02:52 »

You actually look pretty professional in that. Also iron your shirt though. And if the sleeves go all the way down, make sure to wear them down, not folded up or pushed up. I will echo the different shoes, maybe even having the kind of shoe that allows your feet to show (those are really super feminine shoes).

But also yes you look stupid, sort of like you are about to get hit with a train or something (a train called a job)
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #3133 on: 02 Feb 2009, 02:58 »

Tania, that's fine.  You could perhaps try a thin pale blue (?) scarf with it to soften the formal look, but it might be tricky to get right.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Gilead

« Reply #3134 on: 02 Feb 2009, 03:32 »

Tania, looks decent and clean, a feminine accessory would really help cut the masculine feeling of the outfit a little though.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3135 on: 02 Feb 2009, 03:35 »

Maybe even doing cami under the shirt and undoing one of the top buttons, makes a less boxy chest area. I can't quite put my finger on what makes it bump into boyishness, but it's definitely there. Depending on who you're interviewing with, that could even be a good thing.
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #3136 on: 02 Feb 2009, 05:50 »

I agree with things that have been said here. Pants look maybe a little too short, and the shoes are a bit clunky. Go for a very low heel with a slightly pointed toe and you will be golden. Manda's suggestion for the cami would help as well. Oh, and a great bag could actually help the outfit quite a bit, if on the off chance you happen to have one.
Liz is touching me.

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #3137 on: 02 Feb 2009, 07:31 »

it's hard to see the shoes in that picture; here's a better one. they are pointy and have a 2" heel. this also gives a better idea of the length of the pants in that picture. it really is a very terrible picture. sorry again about that.

still too clunky? i am open to pretty much anything except skirts mainly cos i have these weird lumpy muscle legs and skirts kind of make me look and feel like an amazon woman. i'm a lot more comfortable in pants so i feel like i should just sort of build around that. any other changes are fine and dandy with me. also thanks for the advice so far guys!

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3138 on: 02 Feb 2009, 07:56 »

Like Manda said, depending on the job, looking a little bit masculine might help a bit. You're a CJ major, right? Because when I see a more masculine outfit on a girl, the things that come into my head are "no nonsense" and "serious". (That just made me want to delve into gender politics grr) But seriously, you look professional, which is the ultimate goal.

And those shoes look fine; I think the shiny bit on the first picture made them look very round, not what they actually look like.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Josefbugman

« Reply #3139 on: 02 Feb 2009, 07:57 »

And those shoes look fine; I think the shiny bit on the first picture made them look very round, not what they actually look like.

Thats what I assumed, the current ones look really good. Best of luck.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #3140 on: 02 Feb 2009, 08:01 »

After looking at it again, I have nothing I would change about that other than maybe adding a silver necklace/bracelet/feminine watch to break up the lack of accessory.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

pen

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #3141 on: 02 Feb 2009, 08:35 »

Tania, that outfit looks perfectly professional.  I wouldn't wear it on an interview though, because it's all a bit too dark.  If you have any lighter shirts in the same style, it might be a better option.
Cross-dressing national monuments are always exciting.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3142 on: 02 Feb 2009, 16:20 »

See, normally I'd agree with you on that, but I think the darkness of it feels more formal and, again, more serious, which I think fits her profession more.

Though I guess Tania, if you really want to impress them, drop some $$ on a suit in a dark color. Charcoal or black, I'd think. And... no one's ever going to tell you you're too professional, right?

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Yunior

• Furry furrier
« Reply #3143 on: 02 Feb 2009, 20:08 »

Tania, I honestly think the easiest first step to not looking too masculine in a pant + blouse professional look would be to make that blouse a color that is irrefutably feminine. Like this color. You wouldn't have to change a thing about the silhouette, and absolutely no one would take you for "masculine." Plus, whereas adding things like necklaces might give off the impression of trying to be feminine, I think that sort of color would just... be feminine, no trying involved. Though they are great ideas, no doubt, and I like Manda's suggestion in particular of wearing a cami underneath.

(What is a CG major? :()
[02:00] Dollface: clara you are awesome
[02:00] clara: oh thanks dollface
[02:00] Dollface: whos awesome you are clara

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3144 on: 02 Feb 2009, 20:28 »

CJ, criminal justice. That's just if I remember correctly.

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #3145 on: 02 Feb 2009, 21:14 »

yeah, it's technically sociology but i'm going to be looking for jobs in that area and eventually probably going back to school for criminal justice policy. i guess looking kind of guyish is okay for that sort of thing. i am really totally comfortable with looking like a boy though, i'm just wondering if employers are going to be as accepting and if this might substantially detract from my being able to find a job in some way.
« Last Edit: 02 Feb 2009, 21:16 by tania »

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #3146 on: 02 Feb 2009, 21:21 »

I guess unfortunately that depends on how chauvinist your prospective employer is.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3147 on: 02 Feb 2009, 21:45 »

So I know it's just clothes and all that but I'm gonna go ahead and get into this a little more. So obviously we live in a patriarchal society blah blah men are serious! and hard working! blah blah and women are frivolous! With their emotions and frills! blah blah

It shouldn't be like that but it still is sometimes. In this case I don't see how dressing more masculine wouldn't help. Unless you're going for a traditionally feminine position maybe it would, but there's a reason dark suits and a button down shirt are the standard.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #3148 on: 05 Feb 2009, 08:01 »

Man, I am obsessing over getting new shoes. So...

Which of these looks best, do you think, fat shin thread?

or none of the above?
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #3149 on: 05 Feb 2009, 08:07 »

orange with the grey tongue, Jordan.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 77   Go Up