THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 May 2024, 20:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 90   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread II: Beyond Blogosphere.  (Read 773798 times)

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
Re: Blog Thread II: Beyond Blogosphere.
« Reply #3400 on: 15 May 2009, 05:15 »

Hey QC, I'd like to introduce you to my new diet plan, proven by students everywhere- Exam Stress™ . A combination of worry and forgetting to eat for hours on end while typing term papers has caused me to lose about 10 pounds in the last week and a half, dipping me towards an underweight BMI. I don't recommend it.
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

Josefbugman

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Are you Sure thats wise sir?
« Reply #3401 on: 15 May 2009, 05:24 »

Ahhh the exam stress diet, I was on that until I realised that not eating hurt how good I do in exams. I get essay stress diet though, I once went 3 days without eating anything, apparently you could see my ribs really clearly.
Oddly enough the "oh no boobs!" box in the background of todays comic is my usual reaction.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
Let's have a fashion advice thread.
« Reply #3402 on: 15 May 2009, 05:29 »

Hey QC, I'd like to introduce you to my new diet plan, proven by students everywhere- Exam Stress™ . A combination of worry and forgetting to eat for hours on end while typing term papers has caused me to lose about 10 pounds in the last week and a half, dipping me towards an underweight BMI. I don't recommend it.
I eat more when I'm studying for exams than I usually do. It's probably because I am home all the time and there is lots of food here, and also because I eat when I get nervous or bored or hungry or there are slight changes in my emotional state either way or there is no change.

Eventually my metabolism will catch up with me and I will get heaps fat but that is not today so I don't give a toss. Plus there is apricot crumble in the fridge.
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3403 on: 15 May 2009, 05:49 »

I usually eat more if I am stuck home alone, but I am so very close to getting As in all my classes this semester (for the first time in my entire academic life) that I am WAYY more worried about doing well than usual. Taking test pictures for the ones in Linds' photo call made me realize I really ought to stop and eat a damn sandwich.
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #3404 on: 15 May 2009, 05:54 »

I normally stock up on lollies and chocolate and eat that non-stop rather than real food. That normally lasts a day or two, then I start incorporating honey sandwiches into my diet as dinners.

I don't think I lose weight, but I definitely eat terribly over exam periods.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Josefbugman

• Are you Sure thats wise sir?
« Reply #3405 on: 15 May 2009, 05:57 »

Eris, why must you assault my senses with your avatar.

Also its better to eat well and to do other stuff whilst examining. I find that talking to you guys and having the occasional jaunt to the gym does wonders for concentration.

Quick aside to anyone who has or can have access to BBC iplayer, Bill bailey has a program on there that is basically all about the orchestra and has him doing and its just amazing, watch it with all speed.
« Last Edit: 15 May 2009, 07:01 by Josefbugman »
Oddly enough the "oh no boobs!" box in the background of todays comic is my usual reaction.

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #3406 on: 15 May 2009, 07:09 »

yo katie on the bright side you're getting paid

Oh oh another positive thing about my job is that even though I make $2.13 an hour and by Georgia state law when I don't make up to $6.50 in tips my boss is supposed to comp me the rest in my paycheck and he usually doesn't,

sometimes he does!

(I work 39 hours a week. Why do I keep ending up at places that will make me work 39.5 hours a week but if I stay too late or forget to clock out they throw hissy fits because I have stayed for 40 hours and oohhh god that is fulltime can't be having that)
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #3407 on: 15 May 2009, 08:35 »

Exams has done awesome things to my eating schedule. Cause now cooking is an excuse for a break, so I go and cook myself a good meal instead of going to get food at a fast food.

I have saved numerous amounts of moneys in this manner over the past weeks.

Then again, while I'm studying, there's nearly always a packet of m&ms or skittles or something else covered in chocolate on the table. Not so good for me.

Guys, I woke up at 6 am. Learned an entire course. Took an exam (during which everything finally clicked together and made sense and I think I did okayish), learned the entirety of another course and took a second exam. I'm about to cook myself a bit of an early dinner, and go learn the entirety of a third course for my exam tomorrow morning.

What's this "Planning" you speak of?

Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Reed

« Reply #3408 on: 15 May 2009, 12:21 »

As a science student who has spent innumerable hours in labs, they don't pay attention because it's boring! When you have the lab manual telling you exactly what to do and what to look for and how to interpret the results, and then you have a couple of TAs and a professor spit the information out at you again, it gets really frustrating because it seems like everyone thinks you're an idiot when you're not, and you're hearing the same thing regurgitated four and five times, and like twice was enough we get it already.

I completely get that. I was so frustrated because the other TA told them that if they took one thing away from his lecture it was that they need to use the plates of B. subtilis for the spore stain and not the broth. Then I had a few students not get any spores, and when I told them that they needed to get it from the plates they actually got mad at me for nto telling them that! We don't really have a lot of flexibility in terms of adding fun material, but we do keep the lectures really short, and we really try to make small talk with all of our students during the lab so it's not so terrible.

(p.s. One of our students once put LB in the electrophoresis tank. It was labelled LB! The buffer was labelled TBE buffer! Fuck!)

Can we have a terrible lab occurence competition? I have a few great ones, including the time when my friend dropped an entire bottle of BME on the floor and it shattered. Oh, and last year when a student was wearing gloves, caught them on fire with a bunsen burner, and yanked them off. The gloves came off, but so did most of the skin on her hand!
Quote from: meebo
[22:49] Quietus: I'm personally imagining a white supremacist locked in his basement, furtively listening to Parliament on headphones
[22:49] Quietus: "Oh, lawd, why must them coons rock me so"

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3409 on: 15 May 2009, 12:28 »

In a soil science lab I took, a girl managed to EXPLODE a ceramic crucible while trying to burn off organic matter. Cue red hot soil spraying through the air and ceramic shards slicing her lab partner's arms.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #3410 on: 15 May 2009, 15:27 »

I'm so glad that the scariest thing in my education was the language lab.

"Mind your 'th's, that's the last thing any dutchman will get right in this fucking language".
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #3411 on: 15 May 2009, 19:11 »

Bad part: on Wednesday, the first friend I ever made on 'Akademi' got eliminated. She was a real sweetheart and I am really down over it. Kinda puts a little damper on the Good Things mentioned above, but life goes on. My voter ranking is pretty piss-poor lately, so I am probably next. So that's good, I guess. I'll be disappointed if I get eliminated on a night when I don't even sing.

Love,
Me!

Patrick, at your next performance sing Purple Rain. You will win.
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #3412 on: 15 May 2009, 19:38 »

hey look i'm just sayin, plus i got paid about half of minimum wage all semester so i know the feeling
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #3413 on: 15 May 2009, 21:15 »

I am on the shift-work diet.

I am fat.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #3414 on: 15 May 2009, 21:39 »

Eris- I am posting on this forum just to say that your avatar is really something extraordinary. Really. It is fantastic.

Also. Dear blog thread,
You know that feeling where you don't know if you're happy or not? I've been feeling that a lot lately. Sometimes I think I'm happy and then I'll stop and think about it and realize that I'm really unhappy about a lot of things. I can't just be okay with my life for any extended period of time. I crave company and then I start to loathe it as I remember that people are just people and that most of them don't really care for me anyway. I guess I'm just kind of in a mood, and I don't know how to take care of it.
Quote from: Sox
I think it's because your 'age' is really only determined by how exasperated you seem when you have to stand up.

Quote from: KharBevNor
PEW PEW PEW FUCK OFF SPACE

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!
« Reply #3415 on: 15 May 2009, 21:47 »

Dear Blog Thread,

Tomorrow, I will be volunteering at my college's commencement ceremony. Michelle Obama will be delivering the keynote address.

I'll get back to y'all on how buff her arms really are.

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #3416 on: 16 May 2009, 01:37 »

not if she snaps your neck like a twig first.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #3417 on: 16 May 2009, 01:43 »

Don't be silly, she has secret service goons to do that for her now.

Gemmwah

• fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #3418 on: 16 May 2009, 01:55 »

This is the only thing that is making me smile through my pain. :-D

Well this and the drugs.
« Last Edit: 16 May 2009, 03:54 by Gemmwah »
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #3419 on: 16 May 2009, 06:45 »

Ben and I saw the Newcastle version of Dovey today. He had a lot of unfortunate piercings, and some knuckle tattoos I couldn't decipher.

Dovey, please don't get cheek piercings!
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #3420 on: 16 May 2009, 07:43 »

Hannah, where did that icon come from? It's awesome!

Your blogginess,

I used to really enjoy Saturdays. I would sleep in and go about my business, but now I work Saturdays. That also never used to bother me, but that was before I started here. Hardly any people come downtown on the weekends unless it's for an event, which means veeeery few people are shopping let alone shopping for art things. I am tired of being bored! I set aside stuff for me to do at work and when that's done I'll do things I bring along to keep me occupied. Sad thing is, no matter how much I have to do or bring to do, I always finish in a few hours and am left staring off into space hoping someone talkative will come in to keep me occupied. I like my job, but ... it's dull.

Also I need something else to do with my time, so I think I'm going to start looking up internships in the area at galleries or the museum. And seriously start building a new portfolio and looking at grad schools, not just looking at websites going, "Oh, I could go there..." and do nothing about it. I've had my year of post college laziness, it's time to get back into the swing of things.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Sox

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #3421 on: 16 May 2009, 08:10 »

speaking of
i saw an older, chubbier version of gene with a flatcap and spotty facial hair last night!
i was going to call katie and tell her to post that for me but i wanted to save on my phone bill and not call long-distance :/

...you travelled one week into the future?

MrBlu

• Duck attack survivor
  • I probably don't
« Reply #3422 on: 16 May 2009, 08:55 »

Dear Internet!

I'm unemployed again yaaaaaay!

Oh crap, I'm unemployed again.

And the guy I bought my HD 4850 video card from (that was DOA) won't answer my calls (he told me he'd give me back my money). This makes me sad.

I've had an uneventful 3 weeks.
rather than place the blame on somebody's undeveloped irony sensor, let's just blame the internet, k?
My Last.FM

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #3423 on: 16 May 2009, 09:19 »

cheek piercings

Are you sure the guy didn't just have his jaw wired?

EDIT: Saturday night blogger: tonight I went and saw Vulgargrad. They were awesome. They are always awesome. What an awesome band. The end.

J-cob9000

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • i forgot why i made that picture
« Reply #3424 on: 16 May 2009, 10:06 »

My parents are getting a new computer with a 320gb HD, 3 gigs of RAM and 2.8GHz processor.
Meanwhile, i have 512MB RAM, 40gb HD and I dunno what my processor speed is. Ugh.

Anyway. I've taken to listening to post-rock while we sleep.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #3425 on: 16 May 2009, 10:49 »

So that dancing emoticon patch of .gifs just totally synced up to the music playing on my computer, and I kinda got lost staring at it for about 10 minutes.

Guys! I finished 8 out of my 9 exams! I am snacking while lying on my bed and watching season two of Lost. I'm only upset with how one of them went, but for the rest they all went alright! I might still get honours after all! I'm going out to dinner with a couple of friends later at some Indian restaurant, and then I am going to get really drunk/high. I also have to find time to create a play list for a 1.5 hour radio slot I'm filling in for tomorrow, which if everything goes right, is going to be electric and continuous and I might submit to the 24 hour album competition. Alongside the nine hours that I'm going to be in the studio on the 9th.

The one exam I have left is an open book exam on professional issues in computer science and it's on Wednesday! I have so much time to prepare for it it's awesome.

I finally got my tickets for my tripping over the summer, and I'm going to be in NY from beginning July to end September, so if any one wants to hang out, I think it should totally happen.

Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #3426 on: 16 May 2009, 13:19 »

professional issues in computer science

I'm intrigued - what's that supposed to cover?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

MrBlu

• Duck attack survivor
  • I probably don't
« Reply #3427 on: 16 May 2009, 13:46 »

My parents are getting a new computer with a 320gb HD, 3 gigs of RAM and 2.8GHz processor.
Meanwhile, i have 512MB RAM, 40gb HD and I dunno what my processor speed is. Ugh.
Dxdiag.exe
rather than place the blame on somebody's undeveloped irony sensor, let's just blame the internet, k?
My Last.FM

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #3428 on: 16 May 2009, 15:31 »

Hey blmomog,

Thank you for not giving me my bills and just sticking them in YOUR bill pile, because I'm 15 days overdue on my loan payment. And don't yell at me when I ask you to physically give me my bills and say that I should check your stupid pile. I don't give a shit about your pile, just give me my bills when you check the mail. It's really easy, considering I see you every day. Just. Give. Me. My. Bills.

Sincerely,
Your Daughter Who Would Rather Have No Credit Than Bad Credit
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #3429 on: 16 May 2009, 17:39 »

Patrick, at your next performance sing Purple Rain. You will win.

Emilio I will probably not do this, but I have a battle this week against Labi again. We are singing "Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word" by Elton John feat. Blue. I can't imagine any scenario in which I will lose this battle, because my falsetto is the Best Thing.

Dear blog,

I am trying to convince the professors and the producer of the show to let me battle this one girl, Eli, by singing my homage to Ted Leo's cover of "Since U Been Gone". If I do this, there is basically no way I could ever imagine being anything but first place on the voter charts for the duration of the show's run this season. I would probably even win next year's Akademia e Yjeve just because nobody would even try to out-rad me.

Also my new girlfriend (I don't know if I have told you guys, I am now officially dating the girl I met maybe a week ago) likes to keep things simple. We talk about stuff, we joke about shit and thoroughly enjoy each other's company, and then we make out for 2 hours. This is a method that I can completely endorse and support.

Love,
Me!
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!
« Last Edit: 16 May 2009, 18:13 by Christophe »

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #3431 on: 16 May 2009, 19:08 »

professional issues in computer science

I'm intrigued - what's that supposed to cover?

I'm not quite sure yet, I'll get back to you once I've started studying.

(I actually am, it means that there's things that computer scientists should be aware of before dealing with anything that could have massive social consequences. For example, how the NHS is meant to be moving to a digitally enhanced and secure system, and how it's was a failure of proper software engineering and basic logical thinking was a case study that we focused on this semester).

It's basically supposed to cover the notion that computer scientists have this knowledge of the world that most people live in and interact with on a daily basis but know nothing about. But to be a member of the British Computer Society it's important that you don't break this trust that comes with the knowledge that you have attained over the years studying computer science (ie, don't turn into a cracker). It's essentially the whole 'With great power comes great responsibility' speech spread over 12 lectures. But I'm sure that there's much more to it, and if you want, I can get back to you once I've actually learned for this course.

EDIT: also, as for tonight, can we talk about cock block? god damnit.
« Last Edit: 16 May 2009, 19:16 by StaedlerMars »

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #3432 on: 16 May 2009, 19:36 »

My interpersonal skills have been cock blocking me for years.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

LittleKey

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #3433 on: 16 May 2009, 20:12 »

guys. GUYS. i just saw star trek, in imax. holy shit it was awesome!
yahoo answers is the new youtube comments

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #3434 on: 16 May 2009, 23:41 »

Ben and I saw the Newcastle version of Dovey today. He had a lot of unfortunate piercings, and some knuckle tattoos I couldn't decipher.

Dovey, please don't get cheek piercings!

I briefly considered getting "LOVE" tattooed on one set of knuckles, and "LOVE" tattooed on the other set. Bad idea?

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #3435 on: 17 May 2009, 00:38 »

[E][L][W][0]__[0][D][ ][ ]
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #3437 on: 17 May 2009, 00:49 »

MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #3438 on: 17 May 2009, 00:55 »

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #3439 on: 17 May 2009, 01:18 »

I can't decide if I completely wasted that pagebreak or not.

Also, my sister is officially engaged, which is pretty cool.
« Last Edit: 17 May 2009, 01:20 by Alex C »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #3441 on: 17 May 2009, 02:16 »

Yeah, Merced is pretty rad.

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart
« Reply #3442 on: 17 May 2009, 03:18 »

Hiya Blog thread!

I am well, in fact, you could say I am awesome of late. I am also very very very excited because I just booked 4 tickets to see Alice Cooper in August (thankfully I get home from overseas like 4 days before).  I have been making fun of my boyfriend since we started dating because I have seen Alice Cooper live twice and he has never seen him.  It is his birthday in like 3 weeks so I thought I would take a look at ticketek just on the off chance Alice may be touring anytime soonish.  Imagine my surprise when it was the first image to show up.  So I am going to surprise him with a ticket for his birthday because he doesn't know he is even touring.  I hope I can not blab the secret though, I am so excited myself.  Also this time my dad gets to come!  He has tried to come with my brother and I the last two times but failed but this year it has all worked out absolutely perfectly!  As an added bonus he is paying for my brother's and my tickets as well as his own so I am going for free!  FUCK YES GUYS.  I am very very excited.
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

Zingoleb

« Reply #3443 on: 17 May 2009, 06:59 »

My car's been breaking down a lot lately. Second day of work, I'm driving to work, have a red light (And listening to Limelight) and my car just turns off. Click-click, nothing's happening. I manage to flag someone down so that I can call my father, since I cannot afford a phone, and while waiting for him, the car starts up again. I can't drive to work now, since he's coming to get me. So I take his car, drive home and call work to tell them I'm going to be late. Okay, we're set. WRONG.

While driving down the road, a cop pulls me over for speeding because they like to set up their little speed traps. I was doing 50 and they set it up to do 35. I have to be in court next month. Fun.

Work sucks. I really can't stand most of my supervisors, it's either stifling hot or freezing cold, and there's almost no good in it. It's like school, only worse. No cellphones, no eating, no sitting down, no leaning on the railings, no resting your feet...also, no pay! Yeah, that's right. I'm supposed to go to HR to pick up my paycheck on Fridays because they refuse to mail it, but they also conveniently schedule me to work co nstantly on Friday, and by the time I get out, HR is closed. I have no food and no money and I am fucking starving right now.

Mentioning food - on the way home from  work yesterday (after my battery died at work), I decided to go to McDonald's despite not liking fast food. I was hungry, and my father doesn't like buying food. (His rationale is that he doesn't like buying food for me because I always end up eating it on him.) Panic in the house! I don't know what happened but no one was getting served, and I ended up overheating my car - smoking - and I just pulled into the side and popped open the hood. Turns out my car ate an entire quart of oil in one day.

Also, I'm sunburned, which I really, really hate. I don't like getting sunlight, I want to be pale. Now I'm going to be red all summer. Fuuuuuuck.

Also, also, they almost played Warren Zevon on the radio last night. Then it turned out to be Kid Rock and I was angry so hard.

Also, also, also, I have three puppies trying to eat me HALP

Dollface

• And i thought there would be breasts.
« Reply #3444 on: 17 May 2009, 07:12 »

I have three puppies trying to eat me HALP

Tell more about this.
Barfy: he needs to get on the sucking of some dick

Zingoleb

« Reply #3445 on: 17 May 2009, 07:30 »

I posted a reply to this, where did my reply go?

Well, the puppies are gone now, but this dog we rescued from being shot turned out to be pregnant and she had a bunch of puppies (nine of them) which all decided that I am the Best Chewtoy and that No Other Chewtoy will suffice. Then for some reason, the mother dog ran up, jumped in my lap and slapped me in the face with one large paw and ran off. This is not a lapdog, this is a large dog, and that really hurt.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #3446 on: 17 May 2009, 08:15 »

WHAT I DID ON MY WEEKEND.

Friday night: went out for beer and pizza with some old friends. Retired home with said friends for grappa. Night finished early; still felt slightly ill the next morning.

Saturday night: went out to see a triple-header of local bands at a legendary Melbourne scuzzy rock pub (the Tote). The bands were Pete & the Tar Gang (Tom Waitsish - awesome music, but I don't much like the lyrics. An old friend of mine plays violin in the band); Clinkerfield (rock with a tinge of country - two or three awesome songs and a lot of average-to-good ones); Vulgargrad (Russian criminal songs. Awesome. I've mentioned them many times here before and will mention them many times to come.)

Sunday afternoon: went to see Star Trek with some of the same friends from Friday night (including my oldest friend, who I've known for more twenty years or so). It was cool.

Sunday night: went to see Okkervil River ROCK THE FUCK OUT OF THE CITY. Such an awesome gig. As a super-happy bonus, the support act was local legends the Lucksmiths, who've decided to call it quits and so were playing one of their last ever gigs. Then the Okkies came on. I don't know if it was because it was the last night of their tour of Australia, but Will Sheff was absolutely going off, ripping into the songs with absolutely no sense of vocal preservation. Starting off the set with "Plus Ones" was slightly odd, but it was an absolute stormer of a set. They played for almost an hour-and-a-half, climaxing in an absolutely ENORMOUS version of "Our Life Is Not A Movie . . ." back-to-back with "Unless It's Kicks", and then came back for two encores. It was only a few years ago that they were being described a country-rock band, but nowadays they're pure rock 'n' roll. A big snarly V8 rock 'n' roll juggernaut.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #3447 on: 17 May 2009, 08:47 »

Happy Birthday Jens!
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #3448 on: 17 May 2009, 09:01 »

As a super-happy bonus, the support act was local legends the Lucksmiths, who've decided to call it quits and so were playing one of their last ever gigs.
!
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

BlahBlah

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #3449 on: 17 May 2009, 09:04 »

Yeah, check their website:

http://www.thelucksmiths.com.au/

They're playing some European and Australian farewall concerts.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 90   Go Up