THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 21 May 2024, 06:48
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Well, looks like a bit like a Max Payne 3  (Read 6566 times)

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
Well, looks like a bit like a Max Payne 3
« on: 23 Mar 2009, 07:13 »

I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
Re: Well, looks like a bit like a Max Payne 3
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2009, 08:15 »

i'll probably play it.

probably won't buy it.
also israel

Avec

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Pomegranate
« Reply #2 on: 23 Mar 2009, 12:07 »

I loved the first one. Bullet time seemed so cool, plus the gritty dark storyline kept me interested. Felt a lot like reading a thriller. But that's just me. It seems like this could go both ways; by adding the same storyline and a couple of shiny new weapons, or completely changing things up and making a new game we'll all love.

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #3 on: 23 Mar 2009, 13:36 »

Oh yes.

Faaaaaaaaaaaaark yes.

I have no idea how they're going to continue the story, but this looks cool. And I have issues about how the guy in the picture doesn't look like Max Payne whatsoever. Also, I am going to flip the fuck out if they try and do some sort of GTA thing, which the picture reminded me of. While GTA is a nice series I don't want them to put in meaningless, non-balletic violence.

But yes. We should find screenies and teasers and stuff. Stranglehold had temporarily sated  my want for this sort of game, but it was just too short (although way too awesome) and I missed James McCaffrey's melodramatic voice.

EDIT: Judging from the announcement, Max has been hobo-fied and is now somewhere NOT New York. That does break some film noir conventions, but I am happy to hear this, as the only way a sequel would feel non-repetitive would be to start somewhere foreign. The way Sam Hauser talks about it, I'm pretty damn excited.
Har har winter 2009. Get it? Because it's winter and in the game, the game is set in HRRRRRNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGH

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #4 on: 23 Mar 2009, 14:03 »

This is the third look Payne has gotten in as many games. I prefer his first look, personally.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #5 on: 23 Mar 2009, 14:04 »

How does hobofying and moving the protagonist break noir conventions?
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #6 on: 23 Mar 2009, 16:26 »

I'm talking about the comic representation, obviously.
Max Payne 1

Max Payne 2
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

ackblom12

« Reply #7 on: 23 Mar 2009, 16:40 »

I'm not exactly Rockstar's biggest fan, but come on, I certainly don't see them fucking this one up.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #8 on: 23 Mar 2009, 16:49 »

Dunno, Remedy (I think? Or was it Relic? Or 3D Realms?) did the first two and Rockstar published. This will be the first in-house production of yon Max Payne. The studio that's making it is the same one that put out Bully, which was a quality game not lacking in the sort of humor that Max Payne had.

I really enjoyed the first game, and I always liked the noir trappings of the franchise, so I'm hopeful.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

ackblom12

« Reply #9 on: 23 Mar 2009, 17:04 »

It as definitely Remedy.

But yeah, I don't know, I just don't see Rockstar letting this go bad anytime soon.

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #10 on: 23 Mar 2009, 17:12 »

I'm looking forward to this so much. So very much. Ideally this would be more like the first game in the amount of hits you can take, but I liked the second one better for the way bullet time worked. As long as they don't screw it up too much, though, I'll be just fine. I wonder which MP2 ending they will make canon.

His first look in the comic sequences was definitely better, I liked the more everyman look compared to the chiseled jaw action hero look. Like with Chow Yun Fat, he doesn't look like an action hero.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #11 on: 24 Mar 2009, 10:25 »

Oh man, Max Payne is one of my favorite shooter series. The first one was just so damn good and the second one was, as rarely happens, a sequel that did new things well. They were such dark, well crafted, fun games and, although it was the first game to employ Bullet Time, I still think the first Max Payne did it better than any game since. In any case, I'm really excited to see how this new one turns out, although I'm still unsure how the story is going to work. It wouldn't make sense for it to be a game 1 prequel since his life wasn't fucked up before the events unveiled in that game and, if I remember correctly, MP 2 doesn't start too long after the end of MP 1. Whatever, we'll see. Now if we could just play Alan Wake too, I'd be set.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #12 on: 24 Mar 2009, 12:04 »

Rockstar's in-house stuff keeps getting better and better so I'm suddenly more interested in this.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #13 on: 24 Mar 2009, 12:16 »

The studio that's making it is the same one that put out Bully, which was a quality game not lacking in the sort of humor that Max Payne had.

I really enjoyed the first game, and I always liked the noir trappings of the franchise, so I'm hopeful.

Bully is probably Rockstar's best effort, so this is a good thing.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #14 on: 25 Mar 2009, 02:12 »

How does hobofying and moving the protagonist break noir conventions?

Typical noir conventions include a formally-dressed hard-boiled detective, and New York (to a lesser extent). The last time I checked, most noir films didn't dress up their protags in torn singlets and year-old beards. Classic noirs usually preferred New York as a location, although that's obviously a gross generalisation.

I prefer Max's second look. It's more typical of the hard-boiled cop look. Max's first appearances was also appropriate, as he still was kind of a family man, albeit a psychologically screwed, angry family man wielding a hammerspace of guns. But the second one was also good because Max and Mona were fully into the "get-jiggy-and-get-shooting" relationship, which wasn't quite explored in the first game. And nothing helps identify that sort of relationship than leather jackets, massive frown lines and chiselled male jaws.

And Mona was very Basic Instinct, which was awesome. =P I'm all for the Hard-Boiled ending, but maybe with the new locale they won't even have to use her or even Bravura. That was the beauty of the announcement - it worked its way around the "what the bloody hell are they going to do with only 2 known supporting characters still living".

I remember back in school I wrote a 1000 word essay on the Max Payne series as a genre study of crime fiction, so don't mess with me when I dig it up XDDD

Little things we should probably expect for now:
G Novel storytelling
Better Bullet-Time (although how further can they take it, really? XD)
Self-deprecating humour ("The paranoid feel of someone controlling my every step. I was in a computer game. Funny as Hell, it was the most horrible thing I could think of." Yeah. That sort of stuff would be awesome.)

(Max Payne 2 starts quite a while after Max Payne - after Alfred Woden smooths things over, which logically would have taken quite a bit of time.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up