THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 11 Jun 2024, 13:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: I Need Glowstick Music  (Read 9947 times)

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
Re: I Need Glowstick Music
« Reply #50 on: 26 Apr 2009, 15:46 »

Has anybody mentioned Dan Deacon yet? I just got his new album, which I much prefer to his too-goofy debut.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

fish across face

• The German Chancellory building
  • Fugu, I won't do what you tell me.
« Reply #51 on: 27 Apr 2009, 00:03 »

May be quite different, but what do you think of Petter's Some Polyphony?  Can recommend a bunch of tracks along those lines if you like it.

Listening to it right now, and it's pretty good. What else do you recommend?

Uh-oh, now I actually have to think. :)

Midimiliz - Crsh or Crsh (mit Crsh)

Lots of James Holden stuff pushes the same buttons in me, and he released the Petter track though his label Border Community.

Holden - Idiot
Holden - Lump
Holden - 10101 (I forget how many times, but you get the picture!)
Nathan Fake - The Sky Is Pink (Holden Mix)
Black Strobe - Nazi Trance, Fuck Off! (Holden Mix)

Even if you don't like his own stuff so much, a bunch of the aove tracks are on James Holden's mix 'At The Controls', which is also where I first heard the Petter track... may also be worth investigating.  Huge variety of stuff on there from Massive Attack through Aphex Twin to Fennesz - somehow sounds like it'd be great fun to dance to still.

Like the Petter track, but would prefer something a bit less intense?  Booka Shade - In White Rooms

First time I heard Some Polyphony this is what it reminded me of, but In White Rooms doesn't go into the massive distortion territory and could probably fit into a house set in a way that Petter definitely couldn't.  Has those syncopated sorta old school trancey pam pam pam synth stabs, similar dynamics.  But, yeah, nicer.  Justifiably one of those tunes people have gone on and on about in recent years.

Or conversely, is Petter too dinky and silly?  Stephan Bodzin - Pendulum

It's more minimal but I love it to bits, and it doesn't seem very well-known.  I'll be honest, friends who like going dancing mostly either found it just boring or way too cold, but for me it epitomises the idea of the "cold rush" - when you get goosebumps on the dance floor, want to dance like a dick, but the vibe is more Roast Beef from Achewood going "OHHH SHIIIIT" than feeling the love.  The breakdown's amazing - it really, truly, breaks down but somehow that makes it all the better, rather than just wrecking the flow.

Sorry, feel like this is quite lengthy without that many recommends... will see if I can think of more.

fish across face

• The German Chancellory building
  • Fugu, I won't do what you tell me.
« Reply #52 on: 27 Apr 2009, 00:07 »

Much of what I have right now is remixes and original songs by Soulwax or MSTRKRFT, and a couple other 'house anthems' such as that one song from Venture Brothers and stuff Eric Prydz wrote. 

I may have missed it, but don't think anyone mentioned that Eric Prydz also does stuff as Pryda, among other aliases.  I think Frankfurt (weirdly a b-side) is a particularly ace tune under that name... may be worth digging about through that material.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #53 on: 28 Apr 2009, 16:11 »

Has anybody mentioned Dan Deacon yet? I just got his new album, which I much prefer to his too-goofy debut.

Bromst is quite good, it does come across as a lot darker though. But man, I have pulled some crazy faces and in place dance moves while walking through the park listening to it on my ipod.

fish across face, I'll give those a listen when I'm through with the next two days (two exams woot!), cheers!
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up