THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 16 Jun 2024, 08:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Favourite Guitarist  (Read 19489 times)

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.
Re: Favourite Guitarist
« Reply #50 on: 23 Apr 2009, 22:56 »

Steve Howe. There isn't any one song I think that displays him at his best, because there is simply *so much* he can do. Basically, listen to all of the Fragile album, and you'll have some idea I guess? He cuts loose more on the live stuff though. The guy is incredible.

Relayer and Close to the Edge are both pretty good exhibitions of his work, methinks.  Even if The Gates of Delirium just will not fucking end ever
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

Tehz

• The German Chancellory building
  • and the driving snow that drives me home
« Reply #51 on: 24 Apr 2009, 17:59 »

My two all-time favorites have to be Isaac Brock and Ronald Jones.

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
  • if it has a toothpick in it, it's free!
« Reply #52 on: 24 Apr 2009, 18:10 »

Top Three:

1. Jonny Greenwood - Radiohead
2. Joey Santiago - Pixies
3. John Dietrich - Deerhoof

Reverb-minimalist-oddguys!

Hi thank you for making my post for me
it's time to stop posting

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #53 on: 24 Apr 2009, 20:20 »

Robert Pollard
Jason Pierce
Anton Newcombe (not kidding)
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

Harun

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #54 on: 04 May 2009, 12:20 »

bump for Paul Masvidal

Zingoleb

« Reply #55 on: 04 May 2009, 12:46 »

I've been giving this a lot of thought lately, and I can't peg one. I like such WIDE varieties of music, and no one seems to do them all. Karl Sanders is great at what he does, and Stevie Ray Vaughan was great at what he did, but the two aren't really comparable.

Thinking about it, the only guitarist I can think of that has enough variety (bluegrass; hard rock; blues; Eastern) for me would probably be Jimmy Page, but he has many issues with timing as I've heard.

So I will ponder this further. Constantly. I will lie on my deathbed, surrounded by my loved ones, my insides rotting out, listening to an iPod going, "Dammit, this guy sucks, too!" and my wife will be telling me she loves me and I'll tell her not now, I'm busy, and then I'll die, still unsatisfied with my lack of knowledge...

Or not.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #56 on: 04 May 2009, 14:10 »

Page can have perfect timing if he feels like it. But during his ridiculously fast solos, he just doesn't give a shit. See also: Hendrix.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Zingoleb

« Reply #57 on: 04 May 2009, 14:26 »

That's the problem. During his ridiculously fast solos, he doesn't have the same structure. It sounds good at times, but sometimes (See: Heartbreaker) it just feels sloppy.

As for Hendrix...I have a best of and Band of Gypsys, and that's pretty much all I need. Most of his other stuff can get sort of 'eh' at times.

Harun

« Reply #58 on: 04 May 2009, 21:27 »

Zingoleb

« Reply #59 on: 04 May 2009, 21:31 »

An old dude that looks kickass, so what?

(Who is that?)

kyleg

• Plantmonster
« Reply #60 on: 04 May 2009, 21:32 »

bump for Paul Masvidal
The world needs more Cynic fans.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #61 on: 04 May 2009, 21:41 »

That's Dick Dale. The speed-picking surf rock guy. He's pretty good I guess.
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

Zingoleb

« Reply #62 on: 04 May 2009, 21:42 »

Okay, which one is this guy?

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #63 on: 04 May 2009, 21:43 »

Cynic is a great band, but Paul Masvidal is not my favorite guitarist.  Actually, since Kyle Gass was more of a joke than anything else, Paul is my third pick.  Even if only for Focus.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Zingoleb

« Reply #64 on: 04 May 2009, 22:26 »

I like Kyle Gass. :|

I just think Jack Black annoying.

The Joker

• Curry sauce
  • Why so serious?
« Reply #65 on: 05 May 2009, 14:10 »

I think Jack Black awesome.
They say the Joker is a wanted man...

BlahBlah

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #66 on: 05 May 2009, 14:16 »

Robert Pollard

What? Pollard's a fantastic songwriter but I don't think  you could say he's a great guitarist. He hardly even plays it.

Be My Head

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #67 on: 05 May 2009, 14:25 »

bump for Paul Masvidal

Yeah, pretty much an amazing guitarist, but I've never listened to the Ćon Spoke albums, do you know if those are any good?

Koremora

• The German Chancellory building
  • Oh, hey.
« Reply #68 on: 05 May 2009, 15:52 »

I think Jack Black awesome.

Guys, I just accidentally the whole sentence.
Third time's the charm, like a dog it's breathing.

Siibillam-Law

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Ha Ha Fucking Ha
    • Siibillam's Storywrite
« Reply #69 on: 09 May 2009, 07:45 »

FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
There is no sin except stupidity

Zingoleb

« Reply #70 on: 09 May 2009, 13:50 »

-UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #71 on: 09 May 2009, 14:29 »

-UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK Dick Dale is awesome. He basically took a Lebanese wedding song and turned it into an American rock classic.

And he did this several times.

Yayniall

• Bling blang blong blung
  • ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #72 on: 10 May 2009, 04:39 »

« Last Edit: 10 May 2009, 04:42 by Yayniall »

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #73 on: 10 May 2009, 10:39 »

This thread is now about:

I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

zerobar

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #74 on: 11 May 2009, 00:12 »

'some old guy'

Man, I never really realized how much he looks like Steven Seagal. Maybe it's just this picture...

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #75 on: 11 May 2009, 02:03 »

Darcy Hancock!
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #76 on: 11 May 2009, 02:46 »

Dick Dale, Mark Knopfler, J. Mascis, and Jason Pierce have all been mentioned and have all had an amazing influence on me.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

KeepACoolin

• Furry furrier
« Reply #77 on: 19 May 2009, 16:29 »

That's the problem. During his ridiculously fast solos, he doesn't have the same structure. It sounds good at times, but sometimes (See: Heartbreaker) it just feels sloppy.

The album version of "Heartbreaker" was done in one take.  Listen to it live, the timing is much better (say, on "How the West Was Won").

Page- Achilles Last Stand
J Mascis- Feel the Pain
Dan Auerbach (of The Black Keys)- My Mind Is Ramblin', Stack Shot Billy, Heavy Soul
Keep a coolin' baby.

ledhendrix

• Vagina Manifesto
  • *poke*
« Reply #78 on: 19 May 2009, 16:38 »

I'm glad people are saying Jimi Hendrix. Normally it's all "He's so overrated blah blah blah"

I'd go for Jimi Hendrix-Little Wing

My favourite song and the guitar playing is just amazing.
Get off my land

The Joker

• Curry sauce
  • Why so serious?
« Reply #79 on: 19 May 2009, 16:49 »

Yeah, my brother is like that about a lot of stuff that - in my opinion - isn't overrated, it's actually just that good.  Including Jimi Hendrix and Led Zeppelin.

To be honest, I have no idea what kind of music he actually likes, now that I think about it.  (Eric Clapton but not Jimi Hendrix?  What the hell?)
« Last Edit: 19 May 2009, 16:51 by The Joker »

MadassAlex

• "Tasteful"?
« Reply #80 on: 19 May 2009, 20:07 »

I'm glad people are saying Jimi Hendrix. Normally it's all "He's so overrated blah blah blah"

He is overrated.

It doesn't stop him from being an awesome musician at all, but the sheer amount of worship that goes on is ludicrous. Especially when people worship his lead work when it was his rhythm work that was more innovative and interesting. I'd argue that contemporaries like Page, Blackmore and Iommi were better lead players.

Mmm. It was definitely Hendrix's rhythms that made him great.

altered_carbon

« Reply #81 on: 19 May 2009, 23:17 »

Django Reinhardt - His rhythms and counterpoint would stump most guitarists these days to no end.
Robbie Krieger - Easily the most underrated guitarist of the sixties; He was so varied and excellent on every Doors cut.
Robert Fripp - Sheer innovation = win
Johnny Marr - Amazing pop music.

Honorary mention to Mikael Akerfeldt, who is a damn good guitarist, and a lot better of a composer.

The Joker

• Curry sauce
  • Why so serious?
« Reply #82 on: 20 May 2009, 11:20 »

He is overrated.

It doesn't stop him from being an awesome musician at all, but the sheer amount of worship that goes on is ludicrous. Especially when people worship his lead work when it was his rhythm work that was more innovative and interesting. I'd argue that contemporaries like Page, Blackmore and Iommi were better lead players.

And you are now one of the people ledhendrix is talking about.  Congratulations.

Try the solo from "The Wind Cries Mary" if you want innovative and interesting lead work.  For a while near the end he goes off on these other chords never heard in the song before or after that little solo bit.  Also, he broke new ground in recording technique, effects, etc.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #83 on: 20 May 2009, 11:29 »

Try the solo from "The Wind Cries Mary" if you want innovative and interesting lead work.  For a while near the end he goes off on these other chords never heard in the song before or after that little solo bit.

Ooh yay, somebody doing what Mozart already did centuries before. I'm with Alex, Hendrix's rhythms made him a genius. His effects were stunning, but he revolutionized rhythm guitar from going "strum strum strum strum" to, well, "Little Wing".

Cadeonehalf

« Reply #84 on: 20 May 2009, 12:20 »

Hendrix's rhythms made him a genius. His effects were stunning, but he revolutionized rhythm guitar from going "strum strum strum strum" to, well, "Little Wing".

QFT.
See also Castles Made of Sand.
Quote from: the_pied_piper
You are a hippie white guy with a huge afro. You have musical taste when it suits you but generally decide to ignore it and end up listening to mostly jarring noise.

MadassAlex

• "Tasteful"?
« Reply #85 on: 21 May 2009, 00:35 »

And you are now one of the people ledhendrix is talking about.  Congratulations.

Which is fine, because he didn't say anything negative about them, as such.

Try the solo from "The Wind Cries Mary" if you want innovative and interesting lead work.  For a while near the end he goes off on these other chords never heard in the song before or after that little solo bit.  Also, he broke new ground in recording technique, effects, etc.

Fun fact: Some of his effects innovations were borrowed from Frank Zappa. Hendrix never claimed otherwise, but the "LOL BEST GIITAREST EVAR" hype ensures that Hendrix is generally credited.

Hell, while we're talking about Hendrix's flaws as a musician, he consistently lamented the fact that he couldn't make the music in his head come out on guitar, so what you hear is a compromise between his ideas and what his experience with guitar allowed him to do.

I say all this as someone who has studied Hendrix's music and has great love for much of it. Hendrix is overrated as hell. So is Page. And Clapton. And Slash. In fact, reaching that level of fame almost ensures, by default, that one is overrated. It's because a musician can only be overrated in comparison to the ratings of other musicians. So, while there is a quantity of unknown guitarists that match or surpass any of these players, they remain overrated.

A common argument goes along the lines of "If they were really that good, they'd be well-known", which is crock because the music industry hasn't been meritocratic for decades. Given, when these guitarists rose to fame, they were almost peerless. Times have changed, however. Give a passionate teenager a half-decent guitar, a broadband internet connection and five years. They very well might have a similar amount of technical skill as any of those guitarists and lack only in experience and (arguable) amounts of musicality.

And that's a part of what I love about the guitar community these days. There are arrogant fools who place all their ego in the instrument and belittle the playing of others whenever possible, but there's an army of kids out there that don't care about anything but rocking as hard and as skillfully as possible. When the current teenage generation hits their late 20s-40s, we are going to see some amazing shit hitting the fan.

Hendrix is just one of the action potentials that set this off. With free music on the rise and renewed interest in highly technical and innovative playing, we have a lot to look forward to. There just has to be a difference between appreciation and the old school and worshipping it.

ledhendrix

• Vagina Manifesto
  • *poke*
« Reply #86 on: 21 May 2009, 04:25 »

Yeah I'd agree with that. I do agree that all these classic guitarists are pretty overrated, they are excellent but the worshipping thing does get annoying. I think I was more trying to say that I don't like it when people completely disregard these people as waaaaay overrated and don't even give them a chance, saying there are much better guitarists today. Those guys were innovators rather than just being purely technically brilliant. I think MadassAlex has pretty much hit the nail on the head with what he's said.

I also agree with they rhythm thing, Hendrix's lead, whilst fantastic a lot of the time, can be pretty wank.  His rhythm is what really makes me go "Oooooh". Although saying that some of his solo's do the same thing.
Get off my land

MrBlu

• Duck attack survivor
  • I probably don't
« Reply #87 on: 21 May 2009, 09:49 »

Marty McFly!
rather than place the blame on somebody's undeveloped irony sensor, let's just blame the internet, k?
My Last.FM

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #88 on: 21 May 2009, 10:26 »

I can certainly share sentiments that certain old guitarists are overrated.

That said, favorite guitarists:

J Mascis
Doug Martsch
Tom Verlaine
Andy Cohen
Thurston Moore/Lee Renaldo
Joey Santiago
Ira Kaplan

I think that's most of them.

Cadeonehalf

« Reply #89 on: 21 May 2009, 19:03 »

Fun fact: Some of his effects innovations were borrowed from Frank Zappa. Hendrix never claimed otherwise, but the "LOL BEST GIITAREST EVAR" hype ensures that Hendrix is generally credited.

Hell, while we're talking about Hendrix's flaws as a musician, he consistently lamented the fact that he couldn't make the music in his head come out on guitar, so what you hear is a compromise between his ideas and what his experience with guitar allowed him to do.

A common argument goes along the lines of "If they were really that good, they'd be well-known", which is crock because the music industry hasn't been meritocratic for decades. Given, when these guitarists rose to fame, they were almost peerless. Times have changed, however. Give a passionate teenager a half-decent guitar, a broadband internet connection and five years. They very well might have a similar amount of technical skill as any of those guitarists and lack only in experience and (arguable) amounts of musicality.

You do have a very valid point that guitarists exist in great number with technical skill comparable to the old legends. However, I think what sets Hendrix apart is his creativity. There are no good Hendrix cover bands, nor any guitarists who have replicated his sound. His creativity with the instrument was what made him a legend. I don't see the same for Clapton or Page myself, but I'm sure that their fans will come up with similar arguments.
A better way to describe my reverence for Hendrix is that I idolize him as a musician, not as a guitarist.
Quote from: the_pied_piper
You are a hippie white guy with a huge afro. You have musical taste when it suits you but generally decide to ignore it and end up listening to mostly jarring noise.

MadassAlex

• "Tasteful"?
« Reply #90 on: 21 May 2009, 19:28 »

But covering Hendrix doesn't require creativity, because you're simply replicating what's come before (unless you're doing a cross-genre cover. Celtic Hendrix, anyone?).

I think what you're trying to say is that Hendrix had a very unique style of note articulation, which is true. He was a batshit insane guitarist and that's not up for debate. He'd constantly switch between pick and fingerstyle, bend the neck of his guitar (despite having a whammy bar) and disregard being out of tune ("Only prissy boys play in tune", he once said).

Fun tidbit:

Interviewer: I wouldn't exactly call you a country guitarist.
Hendrix: Thank you.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #91 on: 22 May 2009, 03:50 »

So, while there is a quantity of unknown guitarists that match or surpass any of these players, they remain overrated.

Perhaps I am misinterpreting your point but surely some credit has to be given based on primacy of arrival? Sure, there are plenty of guitarists out there today who match or better Hendrix and other innovative guitarists but only because there were guys like Jimi back in the day to blaze the path first. Much in the same way that an album like Sgt. Pepper's... sounds rather tame these days. Standing on the shoulders of giants and all that stuff.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

MadassAlex

• "Tasteful"?
« Reply #92 on: 22 May 2009, 07:51 »

In some aspects, that is certainly correct. In others, not so much.

Technical skill is something that isn't as defined by other musical aspects, for instance. A certain level of technical skill is impressive, no matter where in the history of a genre one is placed.

Let's also consider that Hendrix, Page, Clapton, Iommi, Blackmore and co. also based their phrasing off other musicians, so the same question stands against them. The primary difference is that, during the time period, musical technology was progressing very fast and allowed more phrasing options. Power chords no longer sounded hollow and meek like they did with a clean tone. Solos didn't sing anymore; they wailed.

Circumstance dictates that young contemporary guitarists don't have the massive technology boom to aid their creativity.

zerobar

« Reply #93 on: 23 May 2009, 01:01 »

And that's a part of what I love about the guitar community these days. There are arrogant fools who place all their ego in the instrument and belittle the playing of others whenever possible, but there's an army of kids out there that don't care about anything but rocking as hard and as skillfully as possible. When the current teenage generation hits their late 20s-40s, we are going to see some amazing shit hitting the fan.

Agreed. I feel, in some part that this happened in the 80's. I always felt that the 60's and the 80's showcased the most talent that guitar had to offer. It seems like there's about a 20 year span where everyone canonizes the previous generations work to the point where no one can improve on it, and thus stagnates themselves, while the young creative individuals who don't buy into the worship that their older peers have sneak in and do something completely different and innovate which completely dumbfounds the older generation, because their too hung up on their past generation's work. I hope that's the case, and I'm looking forward to hearing the next Hendrix/Page/VanHalen.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #94 on: 23 May 2009, 13:34 »

Interviewer: I wouldn't exactly call you a country guitarist.
Hendrix: Thank you.

Brent Mason and Albert Lee are crying themselves to sleep right now. Fortunately, Brent Mason's such a fucking badass that he's the most-recorded guitarist in the history of music, ever. Strat Boy can suck on that for a while.

The Joker

• Curry sauce
  • Why so serious?
« Reply #95 on: 24 May 2009, 14:09 »

Ooh yay, somebody doing what Mozart already did centuries before.

If we're going to do that, then we may as well look at every rock and roll song since the 30s and say "Oh look, they're just doing what Robert Johnson did seventy years before."

Brent Mason and Albert Lee are crying themselves to sleep right now. Fortunately, Brent Mason's such a fucking badass that he's the most-recorded guitarist in the history of music, ever. Strat Boy can suck on that for a while.

Nickelback has recorded more albums than Ted Leo

Trivia: The Funk Brothers played on more number one records than the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Elvis Presley, and the Beach Boys combined.

Also, Nickelback sucks.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #96 on: 25 May 2009, 13:45 »

Nickelback has recorded more albums than Ted Leo

By request?

billiumbean

• "Clamsss... Waa!"
« Reply #97 on: 25 May 2009, 20:50 »

Ooh yay, somebody doing what Mozart already did centuries before.

Putting it into perspective like that actually made it sound a lot more badass than I think you intended.

And I think anybody who can be considered the greatest rock guitarist of all time is automatically overrated.  Since a title like that is so monumental, yet so vague, nobody can unanimously agree on one person as the best because the second somebody considers somebody else to be the greatest, the first guy is demoted to the status of contender.  A cat in a box is dead, no it's not, you understand?

I, for one, found "May This Be Love" by Hendrix to be pretty impressive.  He's all over the fretboard throughout the entire song, and that's just the rhythm guitar.
Quote from: Alex C
I do agree that this could potentially have some dire ramifications in regards to purple drank.

The Joker

• Curry sauce
  • Why so serious?
« Reply #98 on: 08 Jun 2009, 13:19 »

You know, since he was the only guitarist in the band, and because he was such a genius, he blurs the line between rhythm and lead guitar, and I think that's one of the main reasons he's held in such high regard.

Oh, and because of his keen fashion sense.

KeepACoolin

• Furry furrier
« Reply #99 on: 08 Jun 2009, 14:52 »

He is overrated.

I think we can inject a little more clarity into this conversation: Hendrix, Page, et al, are generally a bit overrated by a particular segment of the music consuming population- the ones who are serious enough fans to recognize technical ability and have an awareness of rock history.  Among the absolute bottom-level completely uninformed segment, they are not, because those people will just say that the best guitarist is the guitarist in their favorite band.  However, the people in hipster or near-hipster segments of music fan-ship (i.e., most of the people here) tend to underrate those musicians, because they seem mundane and too popular.  Thus, we enter the overrated-underrated paradox, whereby a musician (or athlete, actor, whatever) can become overrated because so many people say they are underrated (such as NBA big man Ben Wallace) or underrated because they are constantly called overrated (a la Hendrix, Page, Blackmore, etc.).  I don't think someone like Hendrix can be flatly called over-or-underrated, because that varies with the circle you deal with.
Keep a coolin' baby.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up