Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

And our MOMENT OF THE WEEK is?

The "space cadets" return!
- 0 (0%)
So how was- "MARIGOLD TOUCHED A WIENER"
- 19 (41.3%)
You know what? I'm happier NOT having any context for that.
- 1 (2.2%)
Momo, I'm home. Momo? What's wrong?
- 0 (0%)
Holopony! IT WON'T GO AWAY MAKE IT GO AWAY
- 8 (17.4%)
Guest Strip - MSTQC!
- 0 (0%)
Oh hey Marten HOW WAS YOUR TRIP
- 0 (0%)
Yeah that's great. What did I do while you were gone? Oh, nothing, just SAT HERE. BY MYSELF.
- 0 (0%)
Are you mad?
- 0 (0%)
Sarcasm_Mode: "Outer Space, communing with one of the most powerful AI's in existence..."
- 0 (0%)
Comparing my intellect to his is like comparing a light bulb to a thermonuclear explosion?
- 0 (0%)
If he's that much smarter than you...
- 0 (0%)
I dunno... Butts, probably. (Actually, he'd probably be into that. Lemme give you his email address.
- 6 (13%)
Dora's Shrink: "It seems like the root of your issues lies in your relationship with (Sven)."
- 0 (0%)
Why do you think that is? (Everything comes so EASY for him... doesn't even have to TRY?"
- 0 (0%)
Do you think he's happier than you? (GOD no. Hates the songs, horrible relationships..)
- 2 (4.3%)
Ah ha. (What?)Time's up. We can talk about it next week.
- 0 (0%)
######## DON'T YOU LEAVE ME HANGING
- 10 (21.7%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2166-2170 (16-20 April 2012) QC: Back Down To Earth (Part Two)  (Read 36402 times)

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

My gut reaction to Friday's strip was, that's not a very good therapist -- but I don't know anything about therapy. The part of my brain that likes to argue with the other part of my brain said, but wouldn't the point be to make Dora turn the question over in her own mind? In which case, the therapist is doing his job. I'll defer to anyone with actual knowledge.

Re: Pintsize -- little sh!t forgot he disappeared to Mexico, or at least virtualMexico, to spend time stoned and smashed with characters from other comic strips, while the Padma arc was ending with a whimper.

Re: Other AIs -- Guess a robot could employ a zombie in QCverse; it's established robots have sentient-being rights. Zombies' legal status in QCverse haven't been defined for the reader yet, though I presume the Amherst Town Council is working on that. And, while we have seen AIs get jobs, I wonder if we'll see a wetware  human working for an AI boss? Perhaps Momo's due for a promotion ...?
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!

Urrectum.

Rectum?! Damn near killed 'em!!!
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

My gut reaction to Friday's strip was, that's not a very good therapist -- but I don't know anything about therapy. The part of my brain that likes to argue with the other part of my brain said, but wouldn't the point be to make Dora turn the question over in her own mind? In which case, the therapist is doing his job. I'll defer to anyone with actual knowledge.

Well, that last statement counts me out, but observation and common sense would suggest that you are on the right track. After all, like any good advice, the trick is not to give someone the answer, but to give them your thoughts on the subject (although being biased toward one or the other is a definite no-no) and let them work out the answer themselves. I would say that conversation took place in the last 5-10 minutes of her session. His observation of Dora's talk would lead him to that point, but then he asks "Why do you think that is?" Again, this points back to "give them your thoughts, they answer the question".

Leaving her hanging is another tactical move. Leaving someone to mull over what the "Ah-ha" meant (in this particular instance) would leave the person wondering, and even going over the session to try and see the doctors' point of view. The ah-ha itself doesn't mean much, but what is implied by it will light Dora's way toward her progress in therapy. All she has to do is think that shit through.
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig

Typically, time is spent observing situations that make someone uncomfortable or upset then considering different options as to why. It can be pretty difficult to see the root of your issues if you're too close to them. Talking them out allows the therapist to see things from an objective standpoint and make connections that you otherwise miss because when you're in an emotionally elevated state, it's hard to think clearly. So, if Sven was mentioned by Dora a few times when she was talking about negative situations, the doctor could note that and just sum up what was said in a more succinct manner. Then, get her thoughts on it. Sometimes they're right and sometimes they're not- but it's up to the client to give their input. If Dora didn't believe that Sven really was the root of her issues, she probably would have said so (at least she would have if she's taking this seriously, which I think she is).

Maybe Dora is looking at Sven's approach and seeing "easy come, easy go"...it wouldn't be that difficult for her to see his situations and convince herself that for her, everything is incredibly difficult. Often, those of us with anxiety end up creating situations out of nothing at all because we're so convinced that "that's the way it is". Maybe she's got it ingrained in her mind that for something to last, you have to overcome obstacles- that nothing easy will ever work out. Hence, the self-sabotage.

She may also consider Sven's approach to be the one in place by most men- so if something seems too simple, it must be because the other person in the relationship is hiding something. We also have to consider though, that perhaps Sven has some deep seated issues of his own. Maybe his tendencies are caused by his fear of commitment- it's hard to be upset when something doesn't work out if you're not emotionally attached to it in the first place. He doesn't care about the songs he writes, doesn't care about the women he dates/sleeps with....because if he were to face rejection in regards to something he was invested in, it would be much harder to get over it.

...just my 2 cents....
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

lepetitfromage, your second paragraph gave me a few things to think about.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

As someone who has been on both sides of the couch, I'm thinking that the psych's statement at the beginning of the strip is something of a summary of what Dora's been saying every single time she's come in for her sessions.

We can infer from her previous mentioning about her therapy session to Faye that pretty much everything she's said to him has been - for the lack of a better term - "Sven, Sven, SVEN!"

So, our intrepid psych has pretty much figured out that she's got issues with her brother. And as such he has realized that neither she nor he can move forward with that until he summarizes it out loud (panel one).

And when she answers the follow-up question - and yes, I did notice how she suddenly "balled up" with her elbows on knees and fists against her chin (compare to the two times she and Marty had fights before this) - he gives a rather appropriate response:

"Ah ha."

Not a "Eureka" kind of "ah ha", but more of a, "that's interesting" kind.

And clueless Dora is still, unfortunately, clueless.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Y'know, I wonder if the therapist heard "I'm pretty sure he ... " as "I hope he ... " in that scrunched-up-Dora panel.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Sven is missing out on the feeling of accomplishment that comes from hard work, and the upside of a serious relationship. He seems to have a vague idea something is missing from his life, but apparently hasn't figured out what it is yet.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor

I like Dora's hair.  Hope she keeps that style for awhile.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

You guys have really thrown a light onto a whole other side of the strip that I hadn't been considering. 

Thank you. 

except sorflake...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

gangler

• Obscure cultural reference

I'm thinking it's "Ah ha. This Sven sounds like a potential client."

Truec

• Furry furrier

If they're just now getting to Sven being the root of Dora's problems, I suspect this may  be a new therapist.

Maybe it's the "Ah-ha" of "This girl is going to single-handedly put one of my kids through college".

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

My first instinct was to read the "Ah ha" as "...and is that your brother or yourself you're talking about?"

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

My first instinct was to read the "Ah ha" as "...and is that your brother or yourself you're talking about?"

Ooh, good one!

What I'm imagining is (and we really don't know how many sessions it's been since that first one) that the bulk of the discussion prior to this has simply been All About Sven. After about the third time, though, I think the therapist would start to try to probe through that, in only to try to figure out why she's so fixated on her brother and brother's success.

Just another Joe like 46

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

I like Dora's hair.  Hope she keeps that style for awhile.

Meh, have her grow it out abit.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

If they're just now getting to Sven being the root of Dora's problems, I suspect this may  be a new therapist.
Maybe, or it could just be the glacial pace of comic-time. Or maybe the therapist is trying to break through Dora's hitherto impenetrable oblivious-field.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

What happens when all the characters become mentally healthy?

Jeph may have to introduce new screwed-up characters to keep up the humor level.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

The QCverse disappears in a puff of logic

Hmmmmm.  I wonder if the Headshrinker is related to Dr. E-C?

Dora just missed the Epiphany Train - Again.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

That's when the time snowballs show up.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Gnomes2169

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Stupid squirrels...

Ahahahahahaha! You're a funny man, you are... Jeph likes being a erm (shit gnomes, think of something politically correct here!)... jerk to his characters. And besides, Hanners will never be normal.  :cry:
Leader of the gardening revolution. Viva la Gnomes!

Winter is coming. Let the Game of Thrones begin.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

The "space cadets" return!    0 (0%)
So how was- "MARIGOLD TOUCHED A WIENER"    12 (37.5%)
You know what? I'm happier NOT having any context for that.    1 (3.1%)
Momo, I'm home. Momo? What's wrong?    0 (0%)
Holopony! IT WON'T GO AWAY MAKE IT GO AWAY    6 (18.8%)
Guest Strip - MSTQC!    0 (0%)
Oh hey Marten HOW WAS YOUR TRIP    0 (0%)
Yeah that's great. What did I do while you were gone? Oh, nothing, just SAT HERE. BY MYSELF.    0 (0%)
Are you mad?    0 (0%)
Sarcasm_Mode: "Outer Space, communing with one of the most powerful AI's in existence..."    0 (0%)
Comparing my intellect to his is like comparing a light bulb to a thermonuclear explosion?    0 (0%)
If he's that much smarter than you...    0 (0%)
I dunno... Butts, probably. (Actually, he'd probably be into that. Lemme give you his email address.    5 (15.6%)
Dora's Shrink: "It seems like the root of your issues lies in your relationship with (Sven)."    0 (0%)
Why do you think that is? (Everything comes so EASY for him... doesn't even have to TRY?"    0 (0%)
Do you think he's happier than you? (GOD no. Hates the songs, horrible relationships..)    1 (3.1%)
Ah ha. (What?)Time's up. We can talk about it next week.    0 (0%)
######## DON'T YOU LEAVE ME HANGING    7 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 32
Just another Joe like 46

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Maybe Pintsize will get a job as a therapist and his clients will become the new crazy cast members.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

Because he'll be the one creating their neuroses - not treating them.

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

Knowing Pintsize, if someone were afraid they were being watched, he'd be the one to stand outside their bedroom window... and then shine a holopony in there.
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

Dora just missed the Epiphany Train - Again.

I think her shrink set it up for the epiphany to occur just outside his door, or after a night's sleep, or sometime before the next session.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

I, for one, would like very much to see more Dora & Sven interaction. They don't seem to hang out that much with each other, yet they are obviously rather close, despite Dora's issues with Sven's lifestyle and behaviour. They also appear to be quite insightful reguarding one another. Dora's comment about Sven hating himself is quite accurate, we've got hints of this from some remarks he made. This, in my opinion, is the most moving manifestation we've seen of Sven's self-loathing.

Some time down the road, Dora will need to have a frank conversation or two with Sven, and it could end up helping both. I can even imagine an arc in which the two of them go camping together, just the two of them, in order to solve some of their issues. Of course, Sven would end up being pursued by the entire single straight female population of the camp, and hilarity would ensue.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Interlude

• Plantmonster

As someone who has been on both sides of the couch, I'm thinking that the psych's statement at the beginning of the strip is something of a summary of what Dora's been saying every single time she's come in for her sessions.

So, our intrepid psych has pretty much figured out that she's got issues with her brother. And as such he has realized that neither she nor he can move forward with that until he summarizes it out loud (panel one).

This makes more sense to me. I don't think typically (but I'm only going by what I've heard other people say about therapy sessions) a therapist would just come out and say that, rather than allowing the client to come to that conclusion on his/her own. However, if Dora needs a nudge to get past that, summarizing what she has been saying would be fine.

Honestly, I really don't think Dora's issues stem FROM Sven. I think she is using him more as a scapegoat/focal point for her insecurities. It's just very difficult for me to imagine that all of her depression/insecurities/anxieties come from her brother having an easy time in certain areas. If he does well with the ladies and can make money easily, good for him. That doesn't make him successful, and this started long before he even did song writing, I'm sure. I think the sooner she gets past thinking of Sven as the reason for her problems/insecurities, the sooner she'll actually be able to help herself and work past her issues.

Then again, I am the eldest of five children. I have no idea what it is like to be the youngest, and I really would rather not think that having an older sibling be successful (or coming oneself to an older sibling) could be some form of catalyst for insecurities to arise. That would make me feel awful, so maybe I'm biased against the idea for that reason. Eh.  :psyduck:

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

We've never seen a human working for an AI, but unless there's fierce discrimination against AIs it must have happened somewhere off-screen by now.

If there are any humans doing space station maintenance or operations, it seems likely that Station is supervising them.

It's natural to wonder how much prejudice there is. Could an AI become President?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

I can just see President AI's more ... creative ... political opponents demanding to see his/her warranty card (long form, please), or trying to start rumors he/she's positronic rather than electronic, or vice versa.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

So how was- "MARIGOLD TOUCHED A WIENER"    17 (40.5%)
You know what? I'm happier NOT having any context for that.    1 (2.4%)
Holopony! IT WON'T GO AWAY MAKE IT GO AWAY    7 (16.7%)
I dunno... Butts, probably. (Actually, he'd probably be into that. Lemme give you his email address.    6 (14.3%)
Do you think he's happier than you? (GOD no. Hates the songs, horrible relationships..)    2 (4.8%)
######## DON'T YOU LEAVE ME HANGING    9 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 42
Just another Joe like 46

cvcharger

• Furry furrier

First, The therapist's 'ah ha' moment had something to do with a crossword problem.  Having sat on the client side of the couch, I have been more or less curious about what the therapist was writing.  I tends to speculate.

Second,
I can just see President AI's more ... creative ... political opponents demanding to see his/her warranty card (long form, please), or trying to start rumors he/she's positronic rather than electronic, or vice versa.
Hmm, sounds like something from "I robot."

Third,
Never ASSume anything Marten

And isn't Marven an Android?
You said ass!!!  Oh no.  Butts disease, it spreads.

cvcharger

• Furry furrier

@Magdalena - It was probably in her possession the whole time, and never particularly far from her, even if it wasn't circling her head.
Yes, just like pokemon.  At some point, off camera, the holopony was put in a pokeball and transferred to Momo-tan.  Maybe not, but if it's involving Marigold and some imaginary animal, I assume pokemon.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up