THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 May 2024, 08:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 81   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread III : Look Who's Blogging Now  (Read 913702 times)

beat mouse

• The German Chancellory building
  • HEADACHE
Re: Blog Thread III : Look Who's Blogging Now
« Reply #3150 on: 06 Jul 2010, 01:40 »

sigh. dear blog, i am in love with a girl who is just out of my league. if there is a jesus, or equally righteous jesus-type figure out there, please let this be the beginning of my disney-esque journey to becoming a manly man of adventure to win her over.
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #3151 on: 06 Jul 2010, 02:05 »

Dogg you don't need Jesus for that. Becoming a manly man of adventure is up to you.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #3152 on: 06 Jul 2010, 02:14 »

Although, realistically, having a sater as a trainer and some muses to cheer you on always helps.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #3153 on: 06 Jul 2010, 05:31 »

Oh man I think we read wildly different versions of the New Testament
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #3154 on: 06 Jul 2010, 05:36 »

I think I focused mostly on the disney-esque part of that post.

Still ... that would be an awwesome testament.
My Art.

Ptommydski

« Reply #3155 on: 06 Jul 2010, 08:25 »

Dear Elvis Costello Blog Thread,

There's newsprint all over your face now, maybe that's why I can read you like a book.

Get Happy!!!

Tommy

PS - Sometimes a song is so appropriate you can't believe it wasn't tailor written for you. Apparently this song was tossed off by The Attractions in an afternoon of drunken tedium and nearly missed out on being on the LP. It's one of the best songs ever written, for shit's sake.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Tell me again what a monster is
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #3156 on: 06 Jul 2010, 09:41 »

So, I ordered a lot of music from an online cd store (DFTBA Records, an indie online store) a while ago, and it just got here (it was delayed a month b/c one of the cds was a pre-order).  I was so excited to get it that I rushed to open it all and started removing all the plastic wrap before taking inventory of what i got.  It turns out I was shipped one (2 Disc) album which I didn't order in place of a CD+DVD album I did.  I'm going to email them, but I worry since I accidentally opened the other album.

Does anyone know what the policy will likely be with respect to the mishap?  Will I have to ship back the mistaken CD?  What about since I opened it already?
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #3157 on: 06 Jul 2010, 10:05 »

So I am cleaning out and packing stuff in my flat, and under my bed I found a note that says "I'm so glad you found me". Is this the start of a movie plot?
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Ptommydski

« Reply #3158 on: 06 Jul 2010, 10:12 »

So I am cleaning out and packing stuff in my flat, and under my bed I found a note that says "I'm so glad you found me". Is this the start of a movie plot?

Every time I ever left a house I would always leave Easter Eggs and time capsules for the next residents. It's satisfying but also sort of futile because you never know if they will ever be found and whether the finder will appreciate the joke. My last university house had a log book which we secreted inside an old cabinet in the living room and hopefully one day it will be found by somebody who will enjoy reading the exploits of my former housemates.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Tell me again what a monster is
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #3159 on: 06 Jul 2010, 10:28 »

i had this really weird habit when I was younger to always get those cheap crappy wallets as prizes from arcades with tickets, put a bit of money in them, and then hide them.  I remember throwing them under my bed and couch, behind the fridge, and all over the house.  I don't really know why I did it, and I forgot about it for years.  In 8th grade when my sister went to college and i moved to her room i found 4 or so wallets each filled with between $5 and $20.  Then when I left for college I found 2 more wallets with $20.  They're nice little presents, and it's nice to know that I didn't waste all my money on pokemon cards as a kid
« Last Edit: 06 Jul 2010, 10:30 by smack that isaiah »
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #3160 on: 06 Jul 2010, 11:09 »

i got a TA job! my course is "professional ethics and interpersonal skills in criminal justice".

while i'm excited for the offer and it's nice to not have to worry about money for the time being... seriously, sfu, you could not have picked a topic i know less about. interpersonal skills in criminal justice? since when is that even a thing
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Ptommydski

« Reply #3161 on: 06 Jul 2010, 11:20 »

i got a TA job!

I can see the A but the T is a stretch.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #3162 on: 06 Jul 2010, 11:37 »

It is far too hot today. last I checked, it was 100F/37C.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

LittleKey

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #3163 on: 06 Jul 2010, 12:18 »

In Southern California it is the exact opposite; it's not cold, but it's overcast and looking like I won't be able to go to the beach today. Oh well, there's always tomorrow!
yahoo answers is the new youtube comments

Metope

« Reply #3164 on: 06 Jul 2010, 12:22 »

In Oslo, everyone and their mother is sunbathing topless at 20 C.

LittleKey

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #3165 on: 06 Jul 2010, 12:28 »

Hmmmm... well it's not like I couldn't handle the cold, but it seems like it'd be a better idea to wait until tomorrow, cause it'll probably be warmer.

beat mouse

• HEADACHE
« Reply #3166 on: 06 Jul 2010, 12:33 »

Here in Canadaland it was 30 degrees yesterday, 30 degrees today, and the forecast shows it will be 30 degrees tomorrow. I kind of wish Canada lived up to its wintery reputation more often, as every spring marks a 6 month hell of allergies and infection :(

This year should be better though as I am quitting smoking currently and supplementing my habits with a 300 workout.
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.

evilbobthebob

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • They're talking about me of course
« Reply #3167 on: 06 Jul 2010, 12:38 »

What's a 300 workout? Do you just go round shouting THIS IS SPARTA! while wearing only a cape and loincloth?
http://www.last.fm/user/evilbobthebob <- Look I have no taste!

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3168 on: 06 Jul 2010, 12:43 »

Maybe the workout they had the actors do to prep for being all cgi'd? I wonder why they bothered working out if they were going to PS abs on them anyway
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

beat mouse

• HEADACHE
« Reply #3169 on: 06 Jul 2010, 12:50 »

The general idea is a workout that consists of 30 reps of 10 different sets of workouts that cover your major muscle groups. If I can figure out a way to incorporate a red cape i will probably have to now.

edit- the routine i'm doing now (working my way up to 30 of each as i am not in the best shape)

30 elevated pushups
30 one arm DB squats
30 beast lifts (pushup position holding two dumbells, and raising one to be level with your back)
30 jump squats w/ DB
30 elevated pushups
30 split squat jumps
30 seated band rows
30 shoulder press
30 stationary lunges
30 russian twists
« Last Edit: 06 Jul 2010, 12:53 by beat mouse »

LittleKey

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #3170 on: 06 Jul 2010, 13:17 »

Russian Twists sound painful.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #3171 on: 06 Jul 2010, 13:20 »

So I managed to catch my mother online and told her time was getting desperately short on the financial aid stuff.

She is now doing the same thing my dad did by telling me I won't succeed at this, and that she's too busy to take 5 goddamn minutes at home to write an email to her tax attorneys. Apparently she 'earned' the trip to Shkodër, which is why she couldn't afford the five minutes to help me out.

I'm honestly considering offing myself just because neither of my parents can be arsed to take 5 fucking minutes and get me the info I need to make my life stop fucking sucking. I'm having absolutely the worst year of my entire life and they've watched every step of the way and neither has done a goddamn thing but sit back and laugh while I dance around on fire. They don't fucking care. My mom would rather send $500 of her own money than a single piece of paper with fucking numbers on it. Fuck her, and fuck both my parents for telling me I'm nothing but a failure, and fuck every single thing in this world
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #3172 on: 06 Jul 2010, 13:29 »

Ok, so I've gotta know, what exactly are your parents saying to you? Word for word if you can. Because I'm inclined to think that maybe you are just interpreting what they are saying the wrong way. Like maybe they are really saying "Art school is not a good idea, and maybe you should just become a doctor instead"
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #3173 on: 06 Jul 2010, 13:31 »

All my art school friends are janitors.

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #3174 on: 06 Jul 2010, 13:32 »

..or they work at Lowes.

...And are $60k+ in debt.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #3175 on: 06 Jul 2010, 13:37 »

Yeah, most people I know that went to art school are currently working minimum wage paying jobs with a huge art school debt.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Elizzybeth

• Beyoncé
« Reply #3176 on: 06 Jul 2010, 13:40 »

All my art school friends dropped out.  They've got the benefits of crushing amounts of debt without the dubious distinction of an art degree!

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh
« Reply #3177 on: 06 Jul 2010, 13:50 »

No link to a video with that post, Tommy?
Sometimes I look at Achewood archives while listening to Spoon.

Metope

« Reply #3178 on: 06 Jul 2010, 15:28 »

This thread is depressing now guys. I will have not one, but two art degrees!

Metope

« Reply #3179 on: 06 Jul 2010, 15:28 »

I'll be a famous painter one day though, so it's okay.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #3180 on: 06 Jul 2010, 15:34 »

Well, if I do go to school, it'd be for art. But lets be realistic here. Art degrees are pretty much useless for most jobs. Or at least that's how it seems. I love learning about art, and it is so incredibly fun, but I am also not planning on taking an art degree and thinking I'm gonna get super famous/rich. Do what you want, but keep things somewhat realistix, you know?

Anyway, guys, biking all up hill in this weather sucks. It sucks so much. At least the ride home will be somewhat easy.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #3181 on: 06 Jul 2010, 15:55 »

Well my degree will only be worth the fact that I have a degree, since I don't want to go into any law-related fields. Education not training, my dad always says, although it's harder to believe that when you're thousands of pounds in debt.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #3182 on: 06 Jul 2010, 19:29 »

One of my fine arts friends is a graphic designer or something now! She is still alive and doing OK for herself!

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #3183 on: 06 Jul 2010, 20:21 »

Yeah, most people I know that went to art school are currently working minimum wage paying jobs with a huge art school debt.

Yes to minimum wage and no to the debt. But I am going BACK to school, so we'll see about that last part. My advice to people in art school: either plan on going back to school for a master's so you can teach or get a job in a museum/gallery, get a degree in something art related that is useful (like design of some sort), or get a minor/double major in something that will help you get a job. Or just be the rarity and be one of those people who sells stuff to people for thousands of dollars so they can hang it in an office or whatever. (If you do that, please give me tips, I would really like to know how to do that.)

Speaking of school and debt, I still have not heard back from the school I wanted to go to yet about financial aid. I submitted all my forms on time and I got offers from the other schools 2 months ago. What. The. FUCK. I am pissed. They should have had their shit together over a month ago. I am giving them until the end of the week and if I still don't have an offer, I'm dropping everything I'm registered for and emailing the two advisors I've been speaking to (who are awesome and have been really helpful) and telling them I can't come to their school because financial aid is a clusterfuck. If that happens, I'm going to my old uni and saving myself from 3 years of debt and instead only maybe getting 2/3 of a year of debt, unless I decide to apply to the master's program for winter, in which case I just won't get any debt at all. Again. (Want your kid to get college for free? Work at a university. Your children will thank you for it for a verrrrry long time.)

Also, I need to know by the end of the week because I offered to be a third roommate for two of my friends so they can keep their apt but only if I go to my second choice. This financial aid thing has me stressing out hardcore right now because I need to know about not only school, but where I'm living, if I need to buy a car, and also what hours I'll be working at the art store. This was going so well a few months ago but now it's just a big huge mess.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #3184 on: 06 Jul 2010, 20:57 »

i still don't have a school email or computing id for my university despite the fact that it was supposed to be sent to me in mid-june. i finally emailed the graduate secretary about this expecting that i would get a response along the lines of "oh, sorry, we forgot to send it to you", but instead received one more like "that's impossible, there's no way, everyone got one." now technical support staff have apparently been working on the issue all day and can't seem to work out at all why the system won't generate this information for me. i had no idea it would be this complicated but i need this information pretty desperately in order to finish enrolling in my courses and applying for my line of credit. what was a mild annoyance 24 hours ago has now turned into a pretty big concern. i really hope this gets resolved, i've sorted out employment in burnaby and very nearly finished sorting out living arrangements as well and it is really going to stink if this ends up being a big issue that prevents me from properly enrolling in my courses or getting the loan i need. the heroin in vancouver had better be amazing to make up for this crap.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

beat mouse

• HEADACHE
« Reply #3185 on: 06 Jul 2010, 22:34 »

dont worry, there's a reason people love coming here.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #3186 on: 06 Jul 2010, 22:35 »

So.......every once in awhile I get these crazy dumb ideas, and think they are great, and either I realize they are dumb or I just never follow through with them. And currently after making such a god damn delicious steak au poivre tonight, and constant pressure from my boyfriend, I'm thinking you know maybe it isn't such a horrible idea for me to consider culinary school. I love cooking. I love cooking new and difficult things. I think I'm a pretty good cook. And then I guess I could open up a bakery or something. I don't know. This is probably a dumb idea.
But I do love cooking!

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #3187 on: 06 Jul 2010, 22:44 »

Sometimes a song is so appropriate you can't believe it wasn't tailor written for you.

I don't know about opening a bakery, but I've heard amazing stories from my head chef from when he started learning to cook professionally. As long as you aren't dead set on doing your own thing, it could be a great career.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #3188 on: 06 Jul 2010, 23:17 »

Yeah, my only real problem with it is I don't think I want to cook in a kitchen with other people, unless I'm in charge. I don't think I'd like work in a kitchen.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #3189 on: 06 Jul 2010, 23:43 »

Assume your boss will be a Gordon Ramsey wannabe and extrapolate from there.

Now I want to do that 300 training! Sounds like awesome fun! Unfortunately I don't have a clue what all of those words in that post mean so that's going to be hard.

I have, however, started running. yesterday I did a tour of the Geestmerambacht within the first 8 songs of the last Delain album. Which probably doesn't mean anything to you but to me it's quite a feat since i haven't run anywhere since the dutch equivalent of high school.
My Art.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #3190 on: 07 Jul 2010, 00:51 »

Emaline if you're prepared to get yelled at and be absolutely exhausted for the next 3-4 years then by all means go for the culinary school idea. It sounds pretty good. If I'm being horribly honest though, based on your posts and knowing nothing else about you, I don't know how well you would deal with the pressure which, as I understand it, is fucking huge. That said, I'm working on opening a comic book store. It's, at best, the tail end of a recession, comics are such a small niche market that the 2 other comic stores in Sydney might be too much competition and given that I've been looking for a job since January and haven't found a god damn thing in 6 months I find it unlikely I will ever have the start up capital I would need to do this very stupid thing. So uh, do not take my advice to heart?
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #3191 on: 07 Jul 2010, 02:17 »

Dear Blog Thread,

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

LittleKey

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #3192 on: 07 Jul 2010, 02:33 »

Dear (insert 'blog thread' rhyme here):

I'm going skimboarding tomorrow! This is not big news seeing as I go at least once a week, but I'm looking forward to it! It'll be my second day with my new board, and I'm hoping to get a little better at reaching the waves. I can get out into the water, but getting to the actual waves is a whole different matter. We shall see!

Oh and a quick question for one of you fine folk from Norway... in Norwegian, how do you pronounce a 'g' at the end of a word? Is it silent? Norwegian pronounciation is weird, but for some reason that just makes me want to learn the language even more.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #3193 on: 07 Jul 2010, 04:15 »

Fuck her, and fuck both my parents for telling me I'm nothing but a failure, and fuck every single thing in this world

My first reaction is that you're being melodramatic, but really I have no idea what you're going through and I really hope things improve for you.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3194 on: 07 Jul 2010, 04:43 »

Patrick if they aren't contributing much/at all financially, couldn't you just file solo? You'll get better financial aid packages that way anyway and cut this stress out that's obviously such a giant pain in the ass.
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #3195 on: 07 Jul 2010, 04:45 »

I think everyone reaches an age where they just have to move out and not live with their parents any more, or their development as a person will just get stunted and stuck at that age. Once you've finally made it growing up can happen, but there's definitely a sticking point for turning into an adult unless you make that change.

My point is, GO FOR IT PATRICK because all this hassle will be worth it in the end, things will improve with your parents and if not you'll be an independent adult.

And here I am disproving my own point because I am doing exactly what I did as a fifteen year old - wasting the day hanging out on the internet. At some point this afternoon I'm going shopping for black clothes and lined paper, but that's the extent of the day's plans. I am not used to this "having free time" shizzle.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #3196 on: 07 Jul 2010, 04:51 »

Having free time is the worst. When I'm busy, I can tell myself that the reason I'm not working on other stuff is because I'm so busy. When I have free time there's no lying to myself, it's blatantly obvious how lazy I am.

ackblom12

« Reply #3197 on: 07 Jul 2010, 05:21 »

Patrick if they aren't contributing much/at all financially, couldn't you just file solo? You'll get better financial aid packages that way anyway and cut this stress out that's obviously such a giant pain in the ass.

In the US, that's a no. Until you hit 24 Financial Aid consider you a Dependant. I think getting married is one of the only exceptions to this that don't include you being orphaned.

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #3198 on: 07 Jul 2010, 06:22 »

So what you're saying is that Patrick should murder his parents?

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #3199 on: 07 Jul 2010, 06:30 »

No, what he's saying is Patrick should get married!
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 81   Go Up