THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 01 May 2024, 20:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Starcraft 2  (Read 116974 times)

scarred

• Older than Moses
Re: Starcraft 2
« Reply #150 on: 26 May 2010, 16:06 »

I've gotten uncharacteristically good at Zerg recently... and terrible at Terran. WHAT HAPPEN
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #151 on: 26 May 2010, 21:27 »

oh god I got bumped into the gold league and I can't stop losing

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #152 on: 26 May 2010, 22:03 »

Diamond league 3v3 Whaaaaaat

I like 3v3, the macro game is more enjoyable for some reason in this bracket.
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #153 on: 26 May 2010, 22:18 »

oh yeah i am doing 1v1 mostly.

i still have all my placement matches to go in the other modes...

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #154 on: 26 May 2010, 22:55 »

watching some more videos and protoss seems pretty gimped against terran.  any thoughts on this?
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #155 on: 26 May 2010, 23:20 »

yeah i've heard protoss v. terran is a shitty matchup for the toss player now. i've won a few times but that's just cos my opponents kinda sucked.

DavidGrohl

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #156 on: 27 May 2010, 09:20 »

watching some more videos and protoss seems pretty gimped against terran.  any thoughts on this?

Scout often.

9 -> Pylon -> Scout with that probe

Get a cybernetics core asap and boost the first Stalker.  This specifically is to prevent reaper rushes.

You should see whether or not they're doubling up on barracks or getting a factory. 

If you see multiple raxes, lay down another gateway or two and pump units while teching towards colossus.  The range upgrade for the colossus is IMPORTANT.  Keep the collossus behind other units.  They have the same range (with upgrade) as tanks and can see over cliffs.  Use it to your advantage.

If you see a factory going up and the rax not producing put some pressure on them with some units you have . . don't waste units -- but get him to waste money on infantry.  At that point get a robotics facility (build an observer first for scouting). 

If you see tanks, get some immortals (transition to collossus).  If you see a starport coming up with a tech lab, start pumping stalkers and place a stargate for pheonixes (also good for gravitating tanks).

Protoss is a very reactionary race vs. Terran.  More so than any race matchup.

As for any game, DON'T lay cannons unless you feel you need to protect against some mass air.  Each price of a cannon could be used to produce a gateway / warpgate instead.

Buttfranklin

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • bruce
« Reply #157 on: 27 May 2010, 12:30 »

After reading the Art of War while utilizing the facilities I have come to the conclusion that if Sun Tzu were alive today he would really dig Starcraft 2.
I tried to romance a lady photographer once. But it didn't work out because I could never understand about f-spots.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #158 on: 27 May 2010, 18:52 »

Gotta agree with Grohl, the colossi's range and ability to get in and start busting up cliff chokes is super important. I love chargelots to death and in number they can fight their weight in minerals against many different units thanks to sheer durability, but at the end of the day they're still open ground units. It's basically just throwing minerals right down the shitter if you can't get room to surround. You absolutely need to colossi to not get owned around high ground.
« Last Edit: 27 May 2010, 18:58 by Alex C »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

DavidGrohl

« Reply #159 on: 27 May 2010, 20:47 »

Forgot to add that illusion is an awesome skill (and rarely used).  If you make a few illusions of collossii, the enemies focus fire will hurt a lot less.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #160 on: 28 May 2010, 12:47 »

Banelings are an unholy terror in the hands of a good player and they scare the poop out of me. But with that said, there's nothing funnier than when someone over commits to banelings early and fails to build enough of anything else to maintain any sort of advantage. It's like, hey, guy, you killed a few roaches. A winner is you.
« Last Edit: 28 May 2010, 12:58 by Alex C »

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #161 on: 28 May 2010, 14:12 »

Has anyone had a chance to use ultras since patch 13?

Seems like with both the nerf to force fields and the buff to their attack, they tried to turn them into a 'toss buster which is a step up from their previous use as "waste of resources".
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #162 on: 28 May 2010, 15:55 »

I kinda doubt it's enough, to be honest. It's not even like the Ultra sucks statistically, really. They've still got the ol' SC1 advantages of being great against lings, marines and lots. It's just that this isn't SC1 anymore and I'm not sure how you could make ultras all that much more attractive without nerfing immortals (which blow truck-sized holes through Ultras and roaches) or nerfing brood lords (which are just plain better vs. toss than ultras).
« Last Edit: 28 May 2010, 16:08 by Alex C »

beat mouse

• The German Chancellory building
  • HEADACHE
« Reply #163 on: 28 May 2010, 15:57 »

I don't think anyone has had a game last long enough to get ultras before getting dropped since patch 13.
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #164 on: 28 May 2010, 16:02 »

That too. I mean, ultralisks are top tech unit that mostly excels at killing low tech. Brilliant.  :roll:

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #165 on: 28 May 2010, 16:30 »

See, I haven't seen a game go that far either which is why I was wondering if it's a viable unit yet or if the buff just still makes it unreasonable. The beta forums have been discussing for a while how useless the ultra is, especially when it seems every single other unit in the game has a use, and the way they buffed it just seems like Blizzard still doesn't know why the ultra exists either. It's a top tech melee unit with no special abilities except that it's big. Why is it here?

The force field nerf is the only use I could see for it since it's the only zerg unit that can bust the fields and those things, when microed well, can wreck a zerg army (as WhiteRa vs. IdrA really thoroughly demonstrates).
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #166 on: 28 May 2010, 20:47 »

I've gotten uncharacteristically good at Zerg recently... and terrible at Terran. WHAT HAPPEN

What he said, except replace "terran" with "protoss." As people suggested earlier, zerg is absolutely forcing me to focus on macro more than I'm used to. So while I'm winning more as zerg than I was as protoss, I would have to admit that all the wins are super, super ugly because my base layout and multi-tasking skills suck ass. The expansions I build end up having all the defensive virtues of a screen door. Still, an ugly win is still a win.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #167 on: 28 May 2010, 20:49 »

Plus, I gotta be honest: My attack strategy basically boils down to "Banelings, roll out!"

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #168 on: 29 May 2010, 00:08 »

BTW, if anyone has any favorite zerg replays or favorite zerg players they could point me at, it'd be much appreciated. Most of the tourney replay lists I've seen don't actually list the races involved and most of the stuff I've seen has been P&T for whatever reason.

Covetous

• Larger than most fish
  • Swedish Turnip
« Reply #169 on: 29 May 2010, 04:06 »

Youtube/google idra.
Creationists make it sound as though a "theory" is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night.
-Isaac Asimov

DavidGrohl

« Reply #170 on: 29 May 2010, 06:17 »

BTW, if anyone has any favorite zerg replays or favorite zerg players they could point me at, it'd be much appreciated. Most of the tourney replay lists I've seen don't actually list the races involved and most of the stuff I've seen has been P&T for whatever reason.

Idra is the current crowd favorite.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #171 on: 29 May 2010, 07:38 »

TheLittleOne (or LiquidTLO) is a random player but his zerg play is fascinating.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

beat mouse

• HEADACHE
« Reply #172 on: 29 May 2010, 13:11 »

TLO is getting really really popular right now, but the aforementioned IdrA is the reigning "macro machine" zerg player atm. Watching him 3 base a 200/200 army on metalopolis in next to no time at all is both inspiring and demotivational at the same time.

I've been playing random since patch 13 (part fuck it, part learning, part fuck bnet2.0) and it has been really improving my active thinking, since it forces you to know the ins and outs of each match up from each side.
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #173 on: 29 May 2010, 13:43 »

Yeah, I need to start doing randoms more. I played quite a few at the beginning just to get a feel for the ranges of effects and to make sure that building recognition was second nature, but since then I haven't really experimented as much as I should have.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #174 on: 29 May 2010, 15:27 »

TLO is getting really really popular right now, but the aforementioned IdrA is the reigning "macro machine" zerg player atm.

Yeah, that's why it's fun to watch TLO as a counterpoint because he's such a vicious speedling micro player.

Dude took down WhiteRa in game 2 of the HRH semis with a mass queen defense. That's crazy. That's just crazy.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #175 on: 29 May 2010, 17:45 »

Finally started dipping my toes into 2v2 a bit. Any general tips? So far I just grab toss and say "TURTLE!" and make my ally desperately try to defend my ass as I make an ungodly amount of upgraded colossi. Oh, and some immortals. Works out pretty well if my ally is playing terran (if we live long enough we just kinda take whatever survived from midgame and combine it with colossi+thor+viking and then cheer as everything dies) but zerg kinda lean towards being generalists/soft counters and I'm having a harder time really complementing them.
« Last Edit: 29 May 2010, 17:57 by Alex C »

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #176 on: 29 May 2010, 18:06 »

Hrm. I don't play 2v2 much so I'm just kind of brainstorming how to do an effective Z+P combo. Utilizing yr zerg teammate to do early harassment while you build up is reasonable. Or even relegating yourself to support for their army since they're going to be way more expendable than you so going with phoenixes and sentries might be really useful.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #177 on: 29 May 2010, 19:10 »

Been watching those idra replays on youtube and it's been pretty interesting. I dunno why I looked at the youtube comments though. It seems people are more interested in nerd raging over whether some dude in Korea types GG after wins or not than they are in commenting on the games. Deciding someone has an attitude problem over a rather silly video gaming custom hits me as a lot ruder than not typing two letters to begin with. It's almost as asinine as my old roommate's opinion. He believed that typing GG was rude because it was being too lazy to actually type out good game. Man, nerds.
« Last Edit: 29 May 2010, 19:13 by Alex C »

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #178 on: 29 May 2010, 19:58 »

yeah I have been watching quite a few whiteRa videos because he is the reigning protoss player.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #179 on: 29 May 2010, 20:09 »

I think they hate that Idra's a bit of a dick with some dumb ideas about what is valid play and what is not and that not saying gg unless his opponent matches his macro game and plays against his strengths is just a symptom of that.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #180 on: 29 May 2010, 20:55 »

I just realized there's no more beta on the 1st. Sad. :(

EDIT: Then I realized they extended it to the 7th. Less sad.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #181 on: 01 Jun 2010, 18:39 »

Dammit, the temporary shutdown looms but my sister is till getting married this weekend and people are still getting injured. Nobody every thinks of my needs!

DavidGrohl

« Reply #182 on: 02 Jun 2010, 08:36 »

Dammit, the temporary shutdown looms but my sister is till getting married this weekend and people are still getting injured. Nobody every thinks of my needs!

Tell her that the Starcraft beta is a once in a lifetime deal, but weddings are forever.  She'll understand.

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #183 on: 05 Jun 2010, 23:52 »

I preordered a Collector's Edition from Amazon and never got the beta key they said they'd get me in 5 business days.

fml

(although to be honest, I'm not completely surprised as my faith in Internet shopping has never been that great.)

beat mouse

• HEADACHE
« Reply #184 on: 06 Jun 2010, 00:57 »

Well, the beta runs out on the 7th, so... that ties that up.

I've been playing random since patch 13 and upon launch I am undecided who I want to ladder as, as learning 3 matchups quickly is easy but juggling 9 is a lot harder to stay on top of things.

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #185 on: 06 Jun 2010, 02:51 »

I preordered mine on April 14 =/

I still play on my friend's one, but honestly he's not on that great a league anyway. Still, I'm just really psyched for the story, although I hear the metagame is totally different between single-player and multiplayer even with the same units.

beat mouse

• HEADACHE
« Reply #186 on: 30 Jun 2010, 02:39 »

I was immediately conflicted as to revive this or find the cake thread:

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #187 on: 30 Jun 2010, 13:09 »

It's so awesome that you can put it in both!
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #188 on: 30 Jun 2010, 16:22 »

that is pretty epic aside from the fact especially because the cake itself looks like effing pancakes

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #189 on: 07 Jul 2010, 12:03 »

Patching patching patching. I don't know if the servers are up and the patchnotes in the launcher are still the siege tank damage reduction ones.

beat mouse

• HEADACHE
« Reply #190 on: 07 Jul 2010, 12:14 »

Did you swap out the realmlist to EU servers to download or are US servers up? I'm in the middle of a clean reinstall, so hopefully by the end of the night i can be placing :)

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #191 on: 07 Jul 2010, 12:33 »

I just started the launcher and it did it's thing. US region. Still patching though, 62%...

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #192 on: 07 Jul 2010, 12:57 »

"Battle.net is down for maintenance, please try again later."

beat mouse

• HEADACHE
« Reply #193 on: 08 Jul 2010, 00:37 »

Thus far, b.net has been a colossal mess. Apparently there was a 90 minute or so window where people were playing with only bugs and lag to worry about. Now the status bar reads 500,000 people on battle.net 0 games being played online.

DavidGrohl

« Reply #194 on: 08 Jul 2010, 07:06 »

Give it the standard Blizzard day to get everyone patched and to avoid the massive flood of logins.

ackblom12

« Reply #195 on: 08 Jul 2010, 08:52 »

I'm pretty happy to see that all AI has been enabled. Gonna be delving into that so I can actually mess around with units and experiment a bit tonight.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Last Edit: 09 Jul 2010, 07:07 by LeeC »

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #197 on: 08 Jul 2010, 23:37 »

Youtubes cannot be embedded on this board. You have to url tag it.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #198 on: 09 Jul 2010, 07:07 »

Youtubes cannot be embedded on this board. You have to url tag it.
hehe I thought I did, the img is right next to the url button and I just hit it by mistake. :angel:

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #199 on: 21 Jul 2010, 19:32 »

Holy shit holy shit holy shit

I'm so sorry I ever doubted you Blizzard holy shit come on give me your sweet semen running down my throat the game
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up