THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 May 2024, 09:12
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

If Coffee of Doom really is the cure to ‘bachelor’ status, who needs to be the next hire?

Tai: Sure the CoD magic works for traditional couples (okay, Angus and Faye are stretching it), but can it find commitment for Tai?
Marigold: A challenge—a mighty, mighty challenge!
Sven: If it sticks, a miracle!
Dale: Unknown quantity; still, the fact that’s he’s single and intrigued with MG says, well, not much, really.
Hannermom: It’s fresh meat time, baby!
Jimbo: Actually, this might make the joint burn down.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WDT - July 4-July 9, 2010  (Read 35668 times)

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
Re: WDT - July 4-July 9, 2010
« Reply #100 on: 08 Jul 2010, 05:20 »

Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Tuitsuro

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #101 on: 08 Jul 2010, 06:09 »

Great, they can hire Marigold.  Everyone's problems solved, forthwith.  

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #102 on: 08 Jul 2010, 06:14 »

Great, they can hire Marigold.  Everyone's problems solved, forthwith. 

Isn't Dale courting her? ;-)
Francisco

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #103 on: 08 Jul 2010, 06:18 »

Not yet. 

Just wait, though...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Delirium

• FIGHT YOU
  • WE CLEANSE OUR DESTINY
« Reply #104 on: 08 Jul 2010, 06:46 »

well now we know why Raven's gone FFFFFUUUUUUU

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #105 on: 08 Jul 2010, 06:49 »

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #106 on: 08 Jul 2010, 07:39 »

Okay, she had a line. that means she has to have her SAG card, so... what's the new character's name?
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

Heliphyneau

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Mommy, why is a naked clown crying on our lawn?
« Reply #107 on: 08 Jul 2010, 09:55 »

I said,

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORES!!!

"Whatcha got there, Joe?"

"Whores, Billy!  Whores!"

"Well, where'd you get 'em?"

"I just found 'em!  Lyin' around!"

:-D

And yes, an unfinishing school where they learn social disgraces (tip of hat to Rimwolf for that term) fits.    As does the final blackboard "item" that says "We have way too many bananas" -- pretty sneaky metaphor, Jeph.   :wink:
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Actually, I would posit that purple elephants do not contribute to the ruination of everything forever in any way.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #108 on: 08 Jul 2010, 11:23 »

I wonder if that line's in the new Karate Kid movie, which, by the way, I cannot freaking believe they remade.
Especially setting it in CHINA, and the kid learns kung-fu. But hey, no difference, right?
Is forthwith a preposition?
No.
If it's set in China, chances are the 'Kid' isn't learning karate, but hey! let's slap the "Karate Kid" name on it anyway, then protest that "It's really different! Updated, even!" Pfui.

If the film is that different, the producers should've given it a different name; instead, they decide to cynically (ironic, since if it is like the 1984 KK, cynicism is a stake through its heart) 'cash in' on the original instead of letting this possibly different film stand on its own two (or one, carefully balanced) feet. Like the quote in my post says, you can't have it both ways. What I really see here is a hope by Daddy Smith that the KK 'magic'* that shot Macchio to stardom and the covers of Tiger Beat so girls he could get arrested for being involved with could swoon over him (Macchio was 23 at the time) will also work for Jaden. Again, better to have let it happen, or not, on it's own.

*Read: if it had been made two years earlier or two years later, The Karate Kid would've likely been a 'cult classic' (meaning nobody watched it on first release), but it happened to appear when it had no competition whatsoever—the year before, for example, it would've been up against The Outsiders (which also featured Macchio). Also they'd be calling the current film The Kung-Fu Kid in the U.S., too, and only admitting it owed some of its plot to The Karate Kid in interviews even while explaining how it wasn't that film, not at all—just has some homages.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Nightson

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #109 on: 08 Jul 2010, 15:26 »

Cheers for Dora and Penelope calling Faye on her lame denial that there's something between her and Angus. "Nothing's been decided yet," my ass. Time to get out of the middle of the road, Faye, before you get squished like a grape. (I wonder if that line's in the new Karate Kid movie, which, by the way, I cannot freaking believe they remade.)

Well middle of the road is pretty much the way things went with Marten and Sven so it's not surprising that she'd start to do it with Angus too.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #110 on: 08 Jul 2010, 17:42 »

Note on Tai: She (or I) didn't say seven of what.
*gasp*. I managed to get in a "Seven of Nine, obviously" comment before Kugai did!   :laugh:

Bugger!! That's what I get for doing my shopping one day late   :-D

Marigold working in CoD

Won't it then become a hangout for Horde fanatics?

Dale could be in a lot of trouble.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #111 on: 08 Jul 2010, 17:49 »

If it's set in China, chances are the 'Kid' isn't learning karate, but hey! let's slap the "Karate Kid" name on it anyway, then protest that "It's really different! Updated, even!" Pfui.
Actually, it's not set in China, but in a country that's just like China, especially with the same cool "exotic" locations to film, except everyone speaks English, even when they're talking to a fellow native, so that it makes sense to drop a 12-year-old American boy with no Chinese into a local school...
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #112 on: 08 Jul 2010, 17:52 »

Actually, it's not set in China, but in a country that's just like China, especially with the same cool "exotic" locations to film, except everyone speaks English, even when they're talking to a fellow native, so that it makes sense to drop a 12-year-old American boy with no Chinese into a local school...

Either that or Paramount loaned them a Universal Translator   :-D
James The Kugai 

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #113 on: 08 Jul 2010, 21:56 »

Hmm, indecision, I had to go with Thor's Hammer even though the Tub O Doom was rather compelling too.
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #114 on: 08 Jul 2010, 22:52 »

Apparently. others were more compelled than you.

Results of Last night's poll: If Coffee of Doom were to try some new sizes, which do you think will be the best seller?

Mighty Mug Here it comes to start the day! (24 oz coffee)    - 3 (9.7%)
Thunderjug Makes you run while others walk (28 oz coffee)    - 5 (16.1%)
Thor’s Morning Mallet To hammer yourself back together (32 oz coffee)    - 8 (25.8%)
Uncle Dionysus’s Cureall Keg Good for what you did to yourself (64 oz coffee)    - 2 (6.5%)
Tub of Doom (128 oz coffee, refillable, comes with battery-powered microheater devised by Faye and possibly wheels) You know who you are, and you know you just gotta have it    - 13 (41.9%)

A large noprize, with wheels, for those who got the Bond reference.

And now for the last and lamest poll yet.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #115 on: 08 Jul 2010, 23:47 »

I'm tempted to vote for Tai because she needs a relationship break but, considering she's already a supervisor at library, I can't see her willingly join CoD.
Francisco

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #116 on: 09 Jul 2010, 01:29 »

C'mon Jeph, you know you'll never be able to limit yourself to just sixteen adorable quirks in a whole weekend.

But if you do narrow it down to sixteen, then next week can be a single elimination tournament World Cup style...

"Sixteen sexy girls will challenge themselves to become Coffee of Doom's next...

"Bitchy Bachelorette Barista"

Or they could just put up some fliers on the bulletin boards at Smiff or one of the other colleges.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Binary

• Curry sauce
« Reply #117 on: 09 Jul 2010, 01:30 »

Uh, typo in last panel, last sentence. It should be "I think it's giving me an ulcer".

Although a typo in the comic title would have been much funnier - after Faye's attempt to pimp out the CoD staff yesterday, "Thank God It's Not Pubicly Traded" would have been a hoot.

Edit: typo is fixed now.
« Last Edit: 09 Jul 2010, 10:50 by Binary »
"We are the weirdos, Mister!" -Fairuza Balk, The Craft

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #118 on: 09 Jul 2010, 02:42 »

I think the new employee is going to have to be someone new.

Let's have a look at the options:

Tai: Already a supervisor in library so she'll be asking for a demotion to join CoD (unless it's as an Assistant Manager and, even then, it may still be)
Marigold: She's already employed by her father to maintain web stuff so probably wouldn't want to work in a coffee shop.  Also, considering her general level of hygiene, Dora probably wouldn't want her.
Hannelore: She runs her own company and, given her OCD, might have trouble serving people.  After all, we all know how well that worked out last time.
Cosette: From Dora's point of view, her clumsiness might get in the way.
Natasha: Not the cleanest of people and, given how she lost her last job, probably not the most reliable.
Amanda: She likes living at home so wouldn't be interested.

I've only mentioned women because Dora has already hinted that she is only looking to employ women.
Francisco

Tuitsuro

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #119 on: 09 Jul 2010, 03:58 »

If she wants to build her own harem it's her business.  But in this economy you're braving a lawsuit to be hiring only attractive single 20-something females.

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #120 on: 09 Jul 2010, 04:31 »

If she wants to build her own harem it's her business.  But in this economy you're braving a lawsuit to be hiring only attractive single 20-something females.

I did wonder about that but wasn't sure about laws Stateside.  I know that she would breaching both UK and European Laws.

To be fair to Dora, I don't think being single, attractive or being in their 20s is a prerequisite -- just the group 1she knows.[1]

[1] I think that, under British Law, that's still a breach of the Law because jobs (unless they are internal only) need to be properly advertised and shown to have a fair selection mechanism.  However, I'm not an expert so I might be wrong.
Francisco

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #121 on: 09 Jul 2010, 04:47 »

Dale - because a man can work 4 jobs - not well, but that's not the point.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Tuitsuro

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #122 on: 09 Jul 2010, 04:54 »

I did wonder about that but wasn't sure about laws Stateside.  I know that she would breaching both UK and European Laws.

I'm no expert, but generally speaking companies in the US aren't allowed to discriminate by age, gender, religion, race, or disability.  How they go about enforcing that can vary from state to state. 

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #123 on: 09 Jul 2010, 05:44 »

You forgot a few...

Sarah - will bring back the allosaur trade
Raven - fanservice at its best!  
Lydia - finally finished her degree and is now ready for the job most music majors wind up with (it's this or, "you want fries with that?)
The real Pizzagirl - the pizzeria closed, and CoD wants to branch out into coffee delivery.  

OK, the first two are technically rehires... and there must be others.  Maybe Ellen's back from her semester at sea?  

And I've been wodering about this - four weeks ago, WCT (Weekly Comic Talk) became WDT.  Just a typo?  Is this a new acronym I'm missing? 

Want to make one up?
« Last Edit: 09 Jul 2010, 05:50 by Carl-E »

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #124 on: 09 Jul 2010, 06:04 »

You forgot a few...

Sarah - will bring back the allosaur trade
Raven - fanservice at its best!  
Lydia - finally finished her degree and is now ready for the job most music majors wind up with (it's this or, "you want fries with that?)
The real Pizzagirl - the pizzeria closed, and CoD wants to branch out into coffee delivery.

I forgot about Lydia and the real PG.  I think Lydia would be the one who'd fit in best in CoD.  After all, she's not extreme in any way and already acquainted with them.  Dora would like her because, apart from being a good person and committed worker, she doesn't put up with Sven's crap.

I think that Lydia should be the next employee.  Dora gets a good worker and Sven has even more reason to stay straight.

I did wonder about that but wasn't sure about laws Stateside.  I know that she would breaching both UK and European Laws.

I'm no expert, but generally speaking companies in the US aren't allowed to discriminate by age, gender, religion, race, or disability.  How they go about enforcing that can vary from state to state.  

For a summary for British Law, here's some information from a Government website.  Age was introduced about two or three years ago.
« Last Edit: 09 Jul 2010, 06:18 by HiFranc »
Francisco

drmike

• Emoticontraindication
  • My Seedbox Can Beat Up Your Seedbox
    • Dr. Mike's Steak Dinner
« Reply #125 on: 09 Jul 2010, 06:10 »

Could always hire Sweet Tits. :)

If you want to be sadistic, Jeph could do a Mary Sue character and see how bad his characters abuse him.

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #126 on: 09 Jul 2010, 06:14 »

Welcome to QC and its forums, drmike.
Francisco

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #127 on: 09 Jul 2010, 06:18 »

I think that's my fault - I mistook the "D" to stand for "Discussion".

If he did bring back Sara orRaven, it wouldn't be a webcomic first; a certain Demonic Barista over in the Twin Cities brought back a former employee for a return gig.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #128 on: 09 Jul 2010, 07:24 »

Webcomic Debating Team?

Heliphyneau

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Mommy, why is a naked clown crying on our lawn?
« Reply #129 on: 09 Jul 2010, 10:00 »

Wallaby Dionysus Therapy.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Actually, I would posit that purple elephants do not contribute to the ruination of everything forever in any way.

Jander

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #130 on: 09 Jul 2010, 11:22 »

Wonky Doom Triangle

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #131 on: 09 Jul 2010, 11:41 »

I've been wodering about this - four weeks ago, WCT (Weekly Comic Talk) became WDT.  Just a typo?  Is this a new acronym I'm missing?  
Woder no more—I cut and paste the title so as to get it right when I do the WCT, mainly because my brain desperately wants to call it the WTC, which is strange, as I'm not dyslexic so far as know I. When a less lazy bastard does the WTC next week, it should return to normal. But if it makes you feel any better, how about Wadering Deviant Taskforce. I mean Wandering—I thonk. :-D

[blah glah]
Tai: Already a supervisor in library so she'll be asking for a demotion to join CoD (unless it's as an Assistant Manager and, even then, it may still be)
Marigold: She's already employed by her father to maintain web stuff so probably wouldn't want to work in a coffee shop.  Also, considering her general level of hygiene, Dora probably wouldn't want her.
Hannelore: She runs her own company and, given her OCD, might have trouble serving people.  After all, we all know how well that worked out last time.
Cosette: From Dora's point of view, her clumsiness might get in the way.
Natasha: Not the cleanest of people and, given how she lost her last job, probably not the most reliable.
Amanda: She likes living at home so wouldn't be interested.

I've only mentioned women because Dora has already hinted that she is only looking to employ women.
Let my start by saying it is shocking to me that I actually posted a relevant poll—I try very, very hard not to do that. Meaningless twaddle is ever my goal. And, of course, you may be responding to Jeph's comment. Still, I feel I owe you a response, based on my premise:
Marigold: She's much cleaner than she once was, but, as I say, a challenge. A mighty, mighty….
Hannelore: You covered why I didn't include her.
Cosette: Got it in one. And she's not single.
Natasha: Also, she's got wealthy parents who apparently prefer to throw money at her rather than deal.
Amanda: Dunno about your reason, but if Faye were my sister, the last thing I'd want to do is work with her. Anyone who sees as many flaws in herself as Faye does can only be harsher to a sibling.
Now for Carl-E's paddle in this river:
Sarah - CoD's great matchmaking failure. It does not want!
Raven - didn't want the "Where's Raven" crowd acting up. Besides, she's as likely to settle down as a housefly.
Lydia - I thought about Lydia, but there's only so many choices you can put into a poll before everything starts getting one vote, esp. when each one averages only thirty respondents. Also, it was funnier picturing Sven working for Dora.
The real Pizzagirl - I already told you how the Cafe felt about Sara.
« Last Edit: 09 Jul 2010, 11:47 by raoullefere »

Dickbutt

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #132 on: 09 Jul 2010, 16:07 »

MORE TRYOUTS

jordinyc

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #133 on: 09 Jul 2010, 17:50 »

Tuitsuro

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #134 on: 09 Jul 2010, 19:38 »

MORE TRYOUTS
image snip

I'd pay to see Axe Cop vs. Yelling Bird.  Seriously.

Ytoabn

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #135 on: 10 Jul 2010, 09:58 »

MORE TRYOUTS
image snip

I'd pay to see Axe Cop vs. Yelling Bird.  Seriously.

How exactly would Yelling Bird fight back?

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
  • Here's looking at you, kid.
« Reply #136 on: 10 Jul 2010, 12:09 »

Whit the orb of shame.
Quote from: KharBevNor
Please keep your opinions in your opinion-hole.
twittr // bloggr // tumblr

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #137 on: 10 Jul 2010, 12:48 »

Thinking of how Coffee of Doom hired Penpen, this oughta be fun.
Carpe Diem

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #138 on: 10 Jul 2010, 20:51 »

Coffee-press gangs. 

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #139 on: 11 Jul 2010, 00:34 »

As for hiring regs, I think it might depend on how many employees you have. IE if you have less than 15 employees you might not be subject to certain regulations. This might be a small business loophole or something similar that Dora can use.
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #140 on: 11 Jul 2010, 08:47 »

With apologies to Mr. Dylan. 

Come entrpreneurs and small businessmen,
for the rules that you work by have shifted again,
and your workforce and staff of young women and men
will need to be insured tomorrow! 
with healthcare, a pension and a good dental plan,
for the rules, they are a changin'...

(c) me, now. 

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #141 on: 11 Jul 2010, 21:56 »

Coffee-press gangs. 

But who/what would be the Bounty?     :-D
James The Kugai 

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #142 on: 11 Jul 2010, 22:03 »

What's the quicker-picker-upper got to do with it?

IanClark

• Furry furrier
« Reply #143 on: 11 Jul 2010, 22:10 »

The quicker picker upper is love. Which fails to answer the question and instead posits a new one...

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #144 on: 12 Jul 2010, 17:37 »

Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker. 

At least, for picking up...

IanClark

• Furry furrier
« Reply #145 on: 12 Jul 2010, 17:47 »

Not when it's on fire all over the table (yes this actually happened to me...).

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #146 on: 12 Jul 2010, 18:07 »

Spilled a flaming shot, did we? 

That'll impress the ladies...

Not as much as a burned-off moustache, though.  That was a really bad night. 

At least it grew back...

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #147 on: 12 Jul 2010, 18:16 »

You weren't supposed to sip it!
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #148 on: 12 Jul 2010, 23:29 »

The quicker picker upper is love. Which fails to answer the question and instead posits a new one...
Yes, it does. Ferinstance, after the flames are extinguished, how is love going to clean up the mess IanClark and Carl-E made? And can love* <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDeDNidI74Q ">hold up a coffee cup and saucer after it's wet[/url]? I think not.

(On a side note, when Nancy says "You bet I can prove it's better than that towel," is it just me that thinks she really, really wants to add, "Bitch"?)

*Make sure to sneer here for best effect.
« Last Edit: 12 Jul 2010, 23:31 by raoullefere »

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #149 on: 13 Jul 2010, 09:07 »

You weren't supposed to sip it!

I didn't.  There was a bit of flaming residue left in the glass after it went down.  And the glass of water in the face... well, I know she was just trying to be helpful, but it was already out. 

Like I said, a bad night. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up