THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 15 Jun 2024, 11:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Makes Lucas look pedestrian.  (Read 4980 times)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
Makes Lucas look pedestrian.
« on: 09 Aug 2010, 00:18 »

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but since it is Star Wars related . . . .

. . . . I think sometimes the fans do a hell of a better job of 'Re-editing' things than he does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qruijbk6_VU&playnext=1&videos=64fr31jv6Og&feature=grec_index
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
Re: Makes Lucas look pedestrian.
« Reply #1 on: 09 Aug 2010, 10:14 »

Excessive sentimentalism and cliched "sad times in a movie" strings don't make anything good. Also, I had forgotten about that awful little hair braid Anakin had. Being reminded of that made this that much worse.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #2 on: 09 Aug 2010, 10:58 »

that is the worst shipper video ever
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #3 on: 09 Aug 2010, 12:37 »

Excessive sentimentalism and cliched "sad times in a movie" strings don't make anything good. Also, I had forgotten about that awful little hair braid Anakin had. Being reminded of that made this that much worse.

It always reminded me of a Rat Tail
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #4 on: 09 Aug 2010, 12:38 »

However, all of this is not to ignore that lots of other people do Star Wars much much better than George Lucas and that this has been true since 1980.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #5 on: 09 Aug 2010, 14:50 »

A few of the books did better work with the EU than the canon series did with the new trilogy.  I can't say much for the recent books because I stopped looking into anything related to Star Wars after the absolute hash Lucas made of the setting in the last decade.

That said, the linked movie is horrible.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #6 on: 09 Aug 2010, 15:36 »

Well, even beyond the books: Tartakovsky's original Clone Wars microseries was the best part of the prequel trilogy and both Raven and Bioware's forays into the EU in their video games have been spectacular.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 09 Aug 2010, 15:55 »

Bah humbug huh?
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #8 on: 09 Aug 2010, 15:57 »

I loved the Clone Wars comic book series they Dark Horse put out.  Hell, I love pretty much all of the Star Wars comic books.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #9 on: 09 Aug 2010, 19:49 »

The Republic Commandos game was also a solid if unspectacular addition to the SW game roster. It got lost in the crowd a bit due to just how many perfectly good FPS games have been released over the last decade, but the animation quality and a lot of the sound design was good, with the Jango Fett guy doing a nice job of providing voice over work. They made a concerted effort to try and play things out as a li'l more "street level" and threatening since you were a soldier in a squad (albeit an elite one) as opposed to a space witch from the future-past with an unobtainium powered laser sword. So wookies are big and scary and should -NOT- be melee'd and they took a lot more liberties with the soundtrack and actually remixed shit rather than just used an abridged John Williams score. Sure, it was a bit derivative of other squad based FPS games that were out at the time, but it was a good all-around effort and I'm all for anything that shakes up the SW status quo even a li'l bit.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #10 on: 10 Aug 2010, 00:16 »

Well, even beyond the books: Tartakovsky's original Clone Wars microseries was the best part of the prequel trilogy and both Raven and Bioware's forays into the EU in their video games have been spectacular.

The original Clone Wars series was a literal work of art, to be honest. The whole thing was a spectacle of absurdly awesome action and fight choreography.

I've noticed that with lots of media that aren't the main film series, some of the best instances of Star Wars material is stuff that has very little to do with Jedi. Republic Commando is one of the best examples of that. In terms of music, the KOTOR games won out for me, because they used original themes, added their own material and made the soundtrack their own thing entirely (best example was the opener track to KOTOR 1).
There's still a smidgeon of untapped potential in the series. I'd really like another linear shooter in the vein of Republic Commando, something dark and gritty and immersive in the eyes of a regular clone trooper ala Battlefront, but set pieces that aren't punctuated by "Objective Complete" and "New Objective: Destroy Object X at Location Y".

And also, I am distantly psyched for the distant live-action TV series that has pretty much nothing to do with Jedi in terms of central focus. Probably because at some point I saw "Star Wars" and "Battlestar Galactica" in the same sentence.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #11 on: 10 Aug 2010, 10:10 »

I really wish they did more with Republic Commando, especially with the cliffhanger ending it had.

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #12 on: 11 Aug 2010, 04:46 »

iirc they just followed it up with a couple comic issues. Correct me if I'm wrong.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #13 on: 13 Aug 2010, 13:58 »

Hey so turns out Return of the Jedi wasn't originally going to end with a rave.

Quote from: Gary Kurtz via AV Club
“We had an outline and George changed everything in it," Kurtz said. “Instead of bittersweet and poignant he wanted a euphoric ending with everybody happy. The original idea was that they would recover [the kidnapped] Han Solo in the early part of the story and that he would then die in the middle part of the film in a raid on an Imperial base. George then decided he didn’t want any of the principals killed. By that time there were really big toy sales and that was a reason.”

The discussed ending of the film that Kurtz favored presented the rebel forces in tatters, Leia grappling with her new duties as queen and Luke walking off alone “like Clint Eastwood in the spaghetti westerns,” as Kurtz put it.

Kurtz said that ending would have been a more emotionally nuanced finale to an epic adventure than the forest celebration of the Ewoks that essentially ended the trilogy with a teddy bear luau.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #14 on: 13 Aug 2010, 16:56 »

So it would've been an ending that makes sense when you consider the political ramifications of deposing a massive Empire and Luke's status as the last of the Jedi and a piss-poor one at that.

Still, killing Han would've been a dick move.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #15 on: 15 Aug 2010, 19:31 »

That really would have changed the mood of the entire star wars setting. If the victory at the end had been Pyrrhic, that would have been much more realistic, but much less fun. Kind of like some of the Star wars EU books, I eventually had to stop reading those even when I liked a lot of them because I found out how many characters were getting killed off in the newer books.

I loved the Star Wars X-wing book series, and still do whenever I decide to re-read them. Then again, I remember hearing that part of the reason for making the series was to fix continuity issues, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was written by a couple of the best authors they had access to, so they didn't have to do it again another year down the line.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #16 on: 15 Aug 2010, 20:30 »

As Darth Vader died, his life flashed before his eyes.

It was cliched, tedious, and badly acted.

ackblom12

« Reply #17 on: 16 Aug 2010, 03:40 »

See, I don't mind how Star Wars ended simply because the movies were a Space Opera Fairy Tale.

I mean, it could have been great to have a more realistic and emotionally engaging ending perhaps, but I quite like how the original trilogy turned out. Kat even had the joy of watching someone who had never seen or had anything spoiled about the movies when the special editions came out in theaters. Apparently it was quite an experience for her.

I mean, she didn't even know Yoda died or that Vader was Luke's father. Apparently she had lived in a cultural bubble from birth.

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #18 on: 16 Aug 2010, 05:54 »

I also knew barely anything about the series when I saw it, but then again, I was four. How do you not know basic things about the series if you have been alive for much longer than that?
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

ackblom12

« Reply #19 on: 16 Aug 2010, 06:30 »

Don't know, but she had apparently made it to 14 or 15 without any knowledge at all of the Star Wars trilogy. It's kind of amazing to imagine.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #20 on: 16 Aug 2010, 16:44 »

I assume she was well acquainted with the rock she was living under?
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

ackblom12

« Reply #21 on: 16 Aug 2010, 16:50 »

The Fraggles were apparently quite kind.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #22 on: 16 Aug 2010, 17:14 »

Eh, it's not that weird. She likely encountered all sorts of Star Wars references but just never recognized them because it's so ubiquitous now people assume that shit doesn't need any kind of introduction or context. For example, when I was around that age I was just really starting to kinda know a lot of 70's and British invasion bands by name. I had heard tons of the songs already, of course, but frankly music wasn't that big of an interest for me and most people don't really think the Kinks need any sort of introduction. That's why I can guarantee you that there's a kid out there who mostly associates Baba O'Riley with watching House.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #23 on: 16 Aug 2010, 20:12 »

I make it a habit of never talking to anybody who calls Who Are You/Baba O'Reilly/Won't Get Fooled Again "that CSI song".
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?
Pages: [1]   Go Up