Full Disclosure, Crazy Bitch and Sense of Timing
- 2 (3.9%)
"The first genuinely Nice Guy" she's been with
- 0 (0%)
"I love you." "I love you too."
- 10 (19.6%)
"LESS TALKING MORE HOT MAKE-UP SEX"
- 16 (31.4%)
Whole Social Circle imploding over no PANTS!
- 13 (25.5%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT - 6-10 September 2010 (1746-1750)  (Read 111624 times)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Re: WCDT - 6-10 September 2010
« Reply #300 on: 10 Sep 2010, 09:38 »

in fact, I'd guess she actually 'went after' these AGs, stealing them from other girls (Sven makes a comment about this way back when)
I don't remember that comment. Do you have enough context or keywords that I could look it up?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #301 on: 10 Sep 2010, 10:03 »

Sven recalls Dora's 'girl-ninjary'. http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=335

He also says Dora's selfless beyond what's good for her. It's not clear (to me, anyway) if that's in the context of relationships or just in general. Given what he said to Marten a few strips ago, I'd say in general, though.

Two strips later, we also get the idea Sven has no idea the extent that Dora's really affected by his poaching. http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=337

Edit: Dammit, now I can't stop reading the archives.
« Last Edit: 10 Sep 2010, 10:17 by raoullefere »
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #302 on: 10 Sep 2010, 11:48 »

that's why I try not to start more than once or twice a year....
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Lost Coastlines

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #303 on: 10 Sep 2010, 13:04 »

I see what you're getting at about Dora and Faye, but at the same time it's a great stretch to see Faye, as defensive as she is, as Sven. Until, of course, Faye starts having sex with Sven. Then, my friend, you've a very definite case, if only because that situation throws Dora back into her old dynamic, something she's being trying to leave behind: hence her dropping the Goth thing, being interested in Marty as opposed to her usual 'type,' and so on.

I think I relied too much on inference when I explained.  Because of the feelings of inadequacy she developed from her relationship with Sven, Dora is quick to compare herself to other people and goes a little crazy if she doesn't measure up in any respect.

For example, http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1618.  Marigold demonstrated that she's more computer literate than Dora and Dora responded very defensively.  While it was mean for Dora to say those things, she's right; overall she has a lot more going for her than Marigold does.  So why did she care so much that she doesn't measure up in a field she had previously described as a hobby?

So I don't think it matters that Faye was too defensive to ever get involved with any of the guys that fell for her.  From what we've seen, Faye attracts suitors more easily than Dora.  That probably hasn't been easy for Dora to watch, especially before she started dating Marten.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #304 on: 10 Sep 2010, 13:30 »

Change that to 'Dora is quick to compare herself to other people and goes a little crazy if she doesn't measure up in any respect that she thinks she should,' and you may have something. For example, she's not upset when Marigold repairs Pintsize, even though Dora herself was his last 'doctor.'

Still, she's able to quickly self-correct in this blow-up. Why not at other times?
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
« Reply #305 on: 10 Sep 2010, 14:23 »

how often do people call marten marty?

because whenever I read marty, I just think about the fish-lipped dicksucking furry from the clubstriped comics.
also israel

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #306 on: 10 Sep 2010, 15:28 »

As for, "For want of a bra and a pair of pants, the QC Continuum was lost", raise your hands, everyone who's ever gone to bed in an ensemble including both a bra and a pair of pants.

*raises hand*

Was it remotely comfortable? Hell no.

Gee, I dunno

May the fact that I was being humourous  might have come to mind?!!!

:roll:
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #307 on: 10 Sep 2010, 15:41 »

Faye does quite often; but when his mother did, he objected.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
  • Here's looking at you, kid.
« Reply #308 on: 10 Sep 2010, 15:45 »

because whenever I read marty, I just think about the fish-lipped dicksucking furry from the clubstriped comics.
You either win or lose an internet. I can't decide.
Quote from: KharBevNor
Please keep your opinions in your opinion-hole.
twittr // bloggr // tumblr

brew

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #309 on: 10 Sep 2010, 17:14 »

Faye only started after hearing his mother do it, and his objection is to Faye's usage (that comic being the first use by someone other than his mother).

Cheleg

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #310 on: 10 Sep 2010, 19:01 »

I love reading the forums, getting to see everyone's opinions, but I had to make one correction:

Oh for Christ's sake. Marten, of all the characters, a "toxic" person. Dora needing to be dumped by "wussy" Marten. What's next, calling Hanners a crybaby attention-getter who should toss out her pills and stop seeing a "head-shrinker?"

I suspect some of the people on this forum--not most, most of you folks are great--have never meaningfully interacted with other human beings in person, except when required to for work, school or family occasions. Have never had a real friendship or relationship--again, in person.

Because such people don't seem to have a rolling fucking doughnut of an idea as to what makes real human beings--not D&D characters or MMPORG "hordes" or superheroes or whatever--tick.

To them I say: turn off your PC, go outside and meet people. Take a class. Volunteer for a non-profit cause. Hang around bookstores or jazz cafes. Get to know human beings in all their wonderful, frustrating, colourful, exhilirating, exhausting diversity. And then see if you're so damn sure about who is or isn't "toxic" or "wussy" or whatever neat little boxes you so cavalierly put people in.

the above is all great, I think it's fine - but here's my correction. It's called MMORPG.

And on a side note, I have played an MMORPG for over five years (world of warcraft - I only feel compelled to mention it because you mentioned horde.. I play both)

I think I have a great rolling fucking doughnut of an idea as to what makes a real human beings.. 

Just saying  :)
People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw lions.

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.
« Reply #311 on: 10 Sep 2010, 21:16 »

dC'thul'hu willing I never will.

It's just Cthulhu! Just Cthulhu, no apostrophes, and it's fhtagn, Jeph! You heathen fools are going to suffer when the Dreaming Hierophant rises from his ancient and timeless city, suffer, I tell you!

What is it with Bianchis and Faye's tits? I mean, it's one thing to notice. It's quite another thing to make comments! In the case of Sven, very rude comments.

I'm sorry, "very rude"?  Did I miss them?   As I read his comments on her wonderful boobage, they are admiring, respectful, and impressed, not rude.  My favorite former GF had the body and breasts of a goddess, and she wore sports bras, almost exclusively.  

One could definitely tell when she did without.  

It was distracting to nearby male brains, such as mine, and perhaps I retain that awestruck, hushed, even worshipful state of mind, when Sven mentions these natural wonders.  :sigh:

Amen, sir. Amen. It is not rude to say of a lady's boobs that they are "AUGH AMAZING", that is the Highest Compliment, and doubtless the lady should be aware!

I wonder if the Bianchi family just has a "boob sense". They can detect great boobs when they are...unleashed? Or...something...

You either win or lose an internet. I can't decide.

aaaaaaauuuuuggh my mind's eye aaaaaaaaauuuuugh i vote lose
« Last Edit: 10 Sep 2010, 21:20 by Dr. ROFLPWN »
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #312 on: 10 Sep 2010, 21:41 »

Faye only started after hearing his mother do it, and his objection is to Faye's usage (that comic being the first use by someone other than his mother).

That is a terrific insight (translation: I'd never noticed) which should rightfully get you a nomination to the Guild of Archive Masters.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #313 on: 10 Sep 2010, 22:58 »

dC'thul'hu willing I never will.

It's just Cthulhu! Just Cthulhu, no apostrophes, and it's fhtagn, Jeph! You heathen fools are going to suffer when the Dreaming Hierophant rises from his ancient and timeless city, suffer, I tell you!
Guys, please.  Can we keep the denominational bickering off this thread?  Thanks.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #314 on: 10 Sep 2010, 23:42 »

Next thing you know, they'll be threatening to burn each other's holy books...

Wait, can you burn a necronomicon?  or is it redundant? 

Anyway, I'm not sure who I'm more impressed by after reading the referred strips in Raoullefere's post quoted below.  It's a tossup between Raoullefere himself for spotting how they exemplify Dora's current character issues over 1400 strips ago, or Jeph for actually writing a character who's so consistant and deep that she stands up to this kind of analysis...

Sven recalls Dora's 'girl-ninjary'. http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=335

He also says Dora's selfless beyond what's good for her. It's not clear (to me, anyway) if that's in the context of relationships or just in general. Given what he said to Marten a few strips ago, I'd say in general, though.

Two strips later, we also get the idea Sven has no idea the extent that Dora's really affected by his poaching. http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=337

Edit: Dammit, now I can't stop reading the archives.

Aw hell, I'm blown away by both of you. 

Internets all around, on the house! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Tergon

• The German Chancellory building
  • Grandmaster of the Order of the Dickbroom
« Reply #315 on: 10 Sep 2010, 23:56 »

Actually I did check before using that spelling.  I've seen it before, and according to Wikipedia (yeah, I know it's not the best resource, but still...) I can give or take the apostrophes.  It's a variation, but not actually incorrect according to what I've seen.
Proud guardian of the original Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks

Holding the line against the Rabid Fanboy Horde

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #316 on: 11 Sep 2010, 01:31 »

must make it hard to watch Back To The Future.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #317 on: 11 Sep 2010, 05:36 »

Actually I did check before using that spelling.  I've seen it before, and according to Wikipedia (yeah, I know it's not the best resource, but still...) I can give or take the apostrophes.  It's a variation, but not actually incorrect according to what I've seen.
It is 克苏鲁 (Kčsūlǔ) in Chinese. And when he rises, I doubt he'll concern himself with the spelling of insignificant gnats like us...
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #318 on: 11 Sep 2010, 07:36 »

Truly. Spelling "insignificant gnats like us" will be the least of what Ol' Tentacle-gob will be getting up to.

Dliessmgg

• Scrabble hacker
  • Here's looking at you, kid.
« Reply #319 on: 11 Sep 2010, 13:43 »

The question is, what's the stronger monster: Cthulhu or bureaucracy?
Quote from: KharBevNor
Please keep your opinions in your opinion-hole.
twittr // bloggr // tumblr

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #320 on: 11 Sep 2010, 16:04 »

No contest, Cthulu's an old god. 

Beureaucracy's just a travesty...

OK, in the interest of spurring further discussion, I'm gonna share the near-horrifying thought I had whilst test driving a car today (no, I still haven't replaced the bear-beater). 

What's the strongest sign Marten can give Dora that he's not going to cheat on her, leave her, or trash their relationship in any other way? 

I don't think Jeph's going there, not yet.  At least, I hope that's not where this is heading before a lot more gets resolved. 

So, maybe 2025 or so?  Of course, if everyone waited until they were ready, it would never happen...

On another note, I forgot to crow about calling at least two days worth of comics... didn't even remember doing it until I was rereading the thread.  I gotta get more sleep...

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #321 on: 11 Sep 2010, 16:31 »

The question is, what's the stronger monster: Cthulhu or bureaucracy?
Tough question. Let's consider this on the point of view or Asterix and Obelix. Obviously, Obelix would just eat Cthulhu with a hollandaise; as for Asterix, he's able to turn bureaucracy over its head by requesting for imaginary red tape.

So, who knows?
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #322 on: 11 Sep 2010, 16:38 »

What's the strongest sign Marten can give Dora that he's not going to cheat on her, leave her, or trash their relationship in any other way?  
Why, getting 'Dora' tattooed across his chest in five-inch-high 'flaming' letters, of course. But I agree that's a big step.

Glad you're going to be able to replace the bear-beaten (since the bear ran off and the car didn't, I think you got confused about that last letter). Can you perhaps get a bear-catcher installed on this one? Or is that an option with the model you're considering?

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #323 on: 11 Sep 2010, 17:37 »

Don't think anyone offers a bear-bumper.  I buy used, anyway.  maybe I can get one retrofit?  retrofitted?  retrofought?

A retrofit is a fit that happened before you were born...

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #324 on: 11 Sep 2010, 18:58 »

Why, getting 'Dora' tattooed across his chest in five-inch-high 'flaming' letters, of course.

Yeah, Marten could probably fit "Dora" across his puny, indie-rock physique. Just as well he's not dating Hannelore. Or a Hapsburg.

Was that bitchy?  :-D
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #325 on: 11 Sep 2010, 19:31 »

Yes.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #326 on: 11 Sep 2010, 20:45 »

Yeah, I'm not sure about chest tatoos for guys.  Eventually, hair grows there...

and a furry Dora just wouldn't look right! 

On the other hand,

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #327 on: 11 Sep 2010, 22:31 »

thats actually pretty cute.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
« Reply #328 on: 11 Sep 2010, 23:48 »

i rather like it as well

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #329 on: 12 Sep 2010, 03:14 »

Well, I suppose it beats ass-antlers. Okay, to be fair, some of those work, and some don't, but I always think about what will happen when age causes the fundament below the 'rack' becomes less pert. This, at least, won't have that problem.

Do think about what you're doing when getting yourself inscribed. I recently had to work with a quite intelligent, industrious lady who, for reasons I do not wish to know, had 'White Chocolate' tattooed as a collar of sorts just high enough on her chest that it peered over the neck of every shirt and blouse she wore. Bothersome. On the other hand, I dealt with a former Marine corporal who had several largish inked areas, (wrist and forearm, as I recall) but none where I had to stare at them every time I looked her in the face. In fact, I had to think a moment when a co-worker of mine whispered 'did you see her wrist?' to recall them.

As for the hair, if memory serves, Marten's not overly hirsute beyond the median line of his chest and abdomen. Should be fine.

Why, getting 'Dora' tattooed across his chest in five-inch-high 'flaming' letters, of course.

Yeah, Marten could probably fit "Dora" across his puny, indie-rock physique. Just as well he's not dating Hannelore. Or a Hapsburg.

Was that bitchy?  :-D
Maybe. It does bring a new terror to consorting with royalty, though, or anyone whose parents felt the need to ingratiate themselves to a small army of people.

I recall wondering when I read that one if Raven's tat actually said "Goofy Big-Uddered Girl." She should've got it done in runes. Those really do have mystical power— I mean, Odin wouldn't lie about that.  Would he?

Edit: The god, I mean. If the Odin who's posting here has hung himself on a tree or gouged out his eye, I don't wish to know about it.
Also, I hate confusing word substitutions. WHich is odd, since I make so many of them, Fixed one, though.
« Last Edit: 12 Sep 2010, 08:38 by raoullefere »

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #330 on: 12 Sep 2010, 04:47 »

Do think about what you're doing when getting yourself inscribed. <snip> I recall wondering when I read that one if Raven's tat actually said "Goofy Big-Uddered Girl."
Anyone even toying with the idea of getting a tattoo in Chinese or Japanese characters should read the blog Hanzi Smatter. With any luck it will put them off the idea entirely.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #331 on: 12 Sep 2010, 05:27 »

As for the hair, if memory serves, Marten's not overly hirsute beyond the median line of his chest and abdomen. Should be fine.

Maybe.  There's a tendancy for it to spread and intensify as one ages, and you never know where it'll show up. 

On a vacation a few years ago my brother saw me without a shirt on the beach (I stay covered up, I burn easily).  His comment was that all the hair slid off my head and down my back...

Which is one of the reasons we only see each other a few days each year.  He's easier to take in small doses!

But any tatoos I would have gotten on my then-hairless back (all through my 20's) would now be pretty well obscured. 

So yeah, think twice. 

Then think again. 

Heranje

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #332 on: 12 Sep 2010, 07:54 »

I've been put off tattoos by my grandfather. He used to be a sailor, and he has all kinds of mermaids and anchors on his arms - it looks pretty ridiculous now that he's old and wrinkly.  :|

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #333 on: 12 Sep 2010, 08:16 »

The Moment of the Week in QC:

• Chill And Understanding    - 0 (0%)
  • Faye Cliff Notes (and loading docks)    - 2 (4.9%)
  • The Angst Solstice    - 4 (9.8%)
  • "Are you gonna break up with me?"    - 2 (4.9%)
  • Something we gotta fix.    - 0 (0%)
  • Full Disclosure, Crazy Bitch and Sense of Timing    - 2 (4.9%)
  • "The first genuinely Nice Guy" she's been with    - 0 (0%)
  • "I love you." "I love you too."    - 10 (24.4%)
  • "LESS TALKING MORE HOT MAKE-UP SEX"    - 13 (31.7%) (Pintsize always steals the show)
  • Whole Social Circle imploding over no PANTS!    - 8 (19.5%)

Total Voters: 41
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #334 on: 12 Sep 2010, 09:57 »

Wonder if Raven's Kanji tattoo means anything embarrassing. Is it even an actual character?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #335 on: 12 Sep 2010, 12:09 »

Do think about what you're doing when getting yourself inscribed. <snip> I recall wondering when I read that one if Raven's tat actually said "Goofy Big-Uddered Girl."
Anyone even toying with the idea of getting a tattoo in Chinese or Japanese characters should read the blog Hanzi Smatter. With any luck it will put them off the idea entirely.

I've never understood how people screw things like that up.  In the information age, it can't be that hard to find and print out the proper characters for the artist.  If it's a full sentence, it's one thing, but most of those aren't.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #336 on: 12 Sep 2010, 17:00 »

Wonder if Raven's Kanji tattoo means anything embarrassing. Is it even an actual character?
It is hard to see from the "fourth wall" viewpoint angle, but it is two characters. It actually looks like the modern Chinese for "princess": 公主 (gōng​zhǔ​) with bad calligraphy (which might have been Jeph's point, of course). Hanzi Smatter has a page discussing Raven's tattoo.

I've never understood how people screw things like that up.  In the information age, it can't be that hard to find and print out the proper characters for the artist.  If it's a full sentence, it's one thing, but most of those aren't.
Beware. In Chinese at least, it is not quite that simple. Chinese characters (hŕnzě) are not isolated, unique "bricks" of meaning, but often have multiple meanings clarified by other characters with which they are written. This is no different from words in English; "air" and "plane" used alone have perfectly legitimate meanings (the gas we breathe, expressing an idea; a tool for smoothing wood, a concept in geometry) but put them together as "airplane" and you get a word only loosely associated with the meanings of the individual words. There are "rules" about how hanzi are put together which, if ignored, make the combination look... odd.
« Last Edit: 12 Sep 2010, 17:04 by Akima »

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
« Reply #337 on: 12 Sep 2010, 18:41 »

i love that blog. i wonder if there's anyone out there you can send whatever you want tattooed, and they will translate and send you back the correct characters in the correct placement.

tomart

• Curry sauce
  • tactile telemetry nexus
« Reply #338 on: 12 Sep 2010, 18:46 »

i love that blog. i wonder if there's anyone out there you can send whatever you want tattooed, and they will translate and send you back the correct characters in the correct placement.

Hey, that's a great idea for a modern, internet-age business...    8-)

And thanks, Akima, for that good explanation why it's not that simple.  air-plane, indeed.
« Last Edit: 15 Sep 2010, 14:20 by tomart »
Irresponsible Adult GOM

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #339 on: 12 Sep 2010, 20:00 »

To me, it's an extremely silly notion. What's the big deal about having a character imprinted on you that you don't understand, that may or may not be correct, or that (possibly) might be a concept that only a master of those characters could properly express and the same properly understand?

Better far to simply design some symbol that you do understand, that has real meaning for you. If that's a word, then choose one you understand, and assign your own secret meaning to it, if you like. Chinese writing does not make a word magical—all words in all languages have that same 'magic.' I was joking about Odin before, but the old Norse had the right of it. Using symbols to represent something that's not even 'there' is high magic indeed.

On the other hand, if you truly crave to sport an obscure symbol or two on your hide, get something written on you in Linear B. It has some meaning you can look up, it'll be just as obscure to you, and the chances of running across someone who can actually dispute whatever meaning you believe it has with any authority will be dramatically decreased, since all the true 'expert' writers are very safely dead.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
« Reply #340 on: 14 Sep 2010, 01:12 »

Chinese writing does not make a word magical—all words in all languages have that same 'magic.' I was joking about Odin before, but the old Norse had the right of it. Using symbols to represent something that's not even 'there' is high magic indeed.

i very much agree with this, however, i don't think there's anything wrong with choosing a language/character/font/etc on aesthetic grounds. if it says the same thing (in theory) and you (hopefully) know what it means, then how much does the style really matter beyond that?

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #341 on: 14 Sep 2010, 03:57 »

It matters if you screw up or get screwed and instead of, say, "Courage" have "Does Not Move" or "Giant Chicken" or somesuch written on you. Or it least it would to me. There are some, I admit, who possess the ego or natural obliviousness to bull it out if this is revealed to them, of course.

To such individuals, though, I say this: selecting something that has an actual meaning to millions, perhaps even a billion or so people and trying to make it have another for you because you feel it 'looks cool,' to me, says some things about yourself that may not be cool at all. China, for example, has a teeny bit of history of being plundered by people who didn't understand her in the slightest and didn't really give a damn about what they were appropriating (and sometimes destroying), either. Why join those assholes?

The Mycenaeans, however, don't much care anymore.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #342 on: 14 Sep 2010, 06:59 »

It matters if you screw up or get screwed and instead of, say, "Courage" have "Does Not Move" or "Giant Chicken" or somesuch written on you. Or it least it would to me. There are some, I admit, who possess the ego or natural obliviousness to bull it out if this is revealed to them, of course.

To such individuals, though, I say this: selecting something that has an actual meaning to millions, perhaps even a billion or so people and trying to make it have another for you because you feel it 'looks cool,' to me, says some things about yourself that may not be cool at all. China, for example, has a teeny bit of history of being plundered by people who didn't understand her in the slightest and didn't really give a damn about what they were appropriating (and sometimes destroying), either. Why join those assholes?

The Mycenaeans, however, don't much care anymore.

That's the whole joy of plundering though - I get it because I'm better at taking it than you are at keeping it.

On the other hand, suddenly finding out that what  you thought was a symbol of badass masculinity actually means that you perform unnatural acts with farm animals might be quite embarrassing, and allows the "plundered" to get a good chuckle at the expense of the stupid.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Tergon

• The German Chancellory building
  • Grandmaster of the Order of the Dickbroom
« Reply #343 on: 14 Sep 2010, 08:08 »

This conversation brings to mind one time when I was a teenager and my family went to a fancy Chinese restaurant.  There was a framed picture on the wall, with beautiful calligraphy and borderwork around a set of characters.  It was simple, striking, and beautiful.  It drew our eye so much that my Mum proceeded to ask the waiter what it meant.
He gave her an odd look, then laughed and told her it said "No Smoking."

As far as getting foreign characters tattooed on yourself goes, I can certainly appreciate aesthetic beauty.  Writing in other languages can look beautiful.  But if you saw someone walking around with the letters SMPELAT tramp-stamped over their arse, you'd wonder what the hell they were thinking.  Let alone if they had random words like BANNANA CHAIR FROG BUBBLE there instead.  If you're on about aesthetics, I'd have to think that having the body-art equivalent of Tourette's Syndrome permanently affixed to your skin would be kind of a drawback.

I do like simpler variations of this, though.  Celtic symbols, for example... they're beautiful and carry simple meaning.  As long as you do your research, and make sure it means what you think, there's no issue.
Proud guardian of the original Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks

Holding the line against the Rabid Fanboy Horde

tomart

• Curry sauce
  • tactile telemetry nexus
« Reply #344 on: 14 Sep 2010, 10:09 »

Celtic symbols, for example... they're beautiful and carry simple meaning.  As long as you do your research, and make sure it means what you think, there's no issue.

I do calligraphy, and have seen some Chinese (hand-lettered with those handmade brushes) characters that are beautiful art, AND have meaning;  it seems obvious to me that these are worth preserving and displaying...

That said, I will never get tattoos on my body.  :-)
Irresponsible Adult GOM

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
« Reply #345 on: 14 Sep 2010, 15:45 »

It matters if you screw up or get screwed and instead of, say, "Courage" have "Does Not Move" or "Giant Chicken" or somesuch written on you.
On the other hand, suddenly finding out that what  you thought was a symbol of badass masculinity actually means that you perform unnatural acts with farm animals might be quite embarrassing, and allows the "plundered" to get a good chuckle at the expense of the stupid.
But if you saw someone walking around with the letters SMPELAT tramp-stamped over their arse, you'd wonder what the hell they were thinking.  Let alone if they had random words like BANNANA CHAIR FROG BUBBLE there instead.  If you're on about aesthetics, I'd have to think that having the body-art equivalent of Tourette's Syndrome permanently affixed to your skin would be kind of a drawback.

hence the original idea:

i wonder if there's anyone out there you can send whatever you want tattooed, and they will translate and send you back the correct characters in the correct placement.

to clarify, the idea is that you can hire a native speaker of the chosen language to design you're tattoo for you and avoid these problems.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #346 on: 14 Sep 2010, 16:11 »

That's the whole joy of plundering though - I get it because I'm better at taking it than you are at keeping it.

LOL, yeah... But like any awesome party, the hangover can be a bitch. When your humiliated victim turns into an extremely grumpy, nuclear-armed, emerging superpower. Which you spent a century or more teaching, in the most brutal way imaginable, that you are greedy, untrustworthy, racist, and respectful only of naked military and economic power. :-D  And you still have to live with them. In a house made of egg-shells.

I don't, however, put stupid hanzi tattoos on quite the same level of ignorant cultural appropriation as Firefly, never mind the full-on neo-colonialism of Western museums refusing to return antiquities looted during the Opium Wars. :-(

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #347 on: 14 Sep 2010, 17:08 »

I'm rather fond of the opposite of hanzi tatoos, those t-shirts Japanese teens are fond of that have nonsensical English phrases on them. 

Of course, they're not permanent...

I wonder how many of those teenagers get ill advised "Bad Engrish" tatoos? 

I imagine they're not that stupid, but you never know... stupid is everywhere. 

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #348 on: 14 Sep 2010, 17:10 »

S'alright we westerners often find our own cultural history too troublesome to get right  - Mel Gibson's Braveheart and The Patriot are prime examples of taking a couple of stories taht can be a goldmine for inspiration, and make them really difficult to watch if you have any knowledge of the actual story....

For all those out there - the Scottish army of the Anglo-Scottish Wars DIDN'T wear kilts, or paint their faces blue (that died out about 1100 years before), and William Wallace was born into the knightly class.

It's not neo-colonialism, it's straight out theft, gussied up with weight of history and some questionable financial transactions with the locals.  

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #349 on: 14 Sep 2010, 18:50 »

And all of your points are good enough arguments to me to not get a tattoo in the first place, thanks.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up