THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 May 2024, 09:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Well, this is going well. How many more pages will the date take up? (counting a page of Hanners fleeing from scary Sven)

0 - we cut to aftermath Monday
- 4 (10.5%)
- 2 (5.3%)
- 6 (15.8%)
- 10 (26.3%)
4-5
- 9 (23.7%)
6-8
- 2 (5.3%)
9-11
- 1 (2.6%)
13+
- 4 (10.5%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Weekly comic thread 2010 September 27 - October 1  (Read 65898 times)

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
Re: Weekly comic thread 2010 September 27 - October 1
« Reply #100 on: 29 Sep 2010, 09:03 »

Inside every man is a boy, hoping to be able to go out and play again...

Some are more successful at dealing with it than others. 

and dammit if Akima's not "spot" on...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #101 on: 29 Sep 2010, 09:12 »

That's it, Hanners. Keep petting and feeding that ego, and you may ferret out all of Sven's path to douchery.

You know it's a rat, because if it was a Corgi, they woulda been cooking it.

Also, Sven should use his powers for good, and become a therapist. "The Love Doctor is IN. Your Pants."
T'would require ethics. Until recently, Sven was noticeably short on those. He'd make a good preacher, though—could have a mega-church in a few years, probably. Having the morals of a snapping turtle might even be an asset.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #102 on: 29 Sep 2010, 09:47 »

Ethics, a requirement of many professions, and troublingly they write down all the rules, so that they can be twisted and manipulated later.

We still don't know where they're going yet - could be that restaurant Faye mentioned.

Nor do we have the answer to the equation, dammit we want answers!

Way I see it, we've built up to the date this week at work.

Next week we get the rest of the pre date stuff out of the way, possilbly with both Dora and Faye promising nasty implications if Sven is anything but their definition of harmless, ending on Friday with Sven showing up at Hanner's door.

The following week will be the date itself - which will  follow Faye's outline to an uncanny degree, right up to the point where Sven offers to show a movie he's rented - then Hanners will freak right out leaving our bemused hero alone on the couch. 

The following week will be the apres date shenanigans - Dora and Faye upset at Sven for being a less than stellar date, Hanners mortified that Sven may or may not have been trying to seduce her, Sven just completely confused and Marten roped into his usual position as the mediator/voice of reason.  or Sven will only be saved with a secret video of the date made by Pintsize, who's upset because there was ntohing interesting for him to film.

So far my earlier prediction is a little off - it only took two days for the pre-date stuff and we're already into the date proper on Wednesday.  Compared to some story arcs this is moving along nicely.
« Last Edit: 29 Sep 2010, 09:55 by Border Reiver »
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #103 on: 29 Sep 2010, 09:54 »

How amusing would it be if Angus shows up to take Faye out to dinner and they independently select the restaurant Sven and Hannelore eventually choose?
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #104 on: 29 Sep 2010, 10:14 »

it would be moderately amusing.

how amusing would it be if faye and angus independently selected the little hole-in-the-wall korean place up on king?

tomart

• Curry sauce
  • tactile telemetry nexus
« Reply #105 on: 29 Sep 2010, 10:49 »

To answer Jeph's concerns, I think you've struck just the right note here.  We've just seen how intelligent Hanners is, and here Sven is honestly sharing some of his "secrets" with a friend, an equal.

If this keeps up, i daresay Hannelore will learn more about dating in one evening than some learn in years...   :laugh:

Imagine our innocent little Hanners getting her Ph.D in dating in one evening!  ["Philosopher of Dating"?]

... well, maybe two evenings.   :evil:
« Last Edit: 29 Sep 2010, 15:12 by tomart »
Irresponsible Adult GOM

brew

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #106 on: 29 Sep 2010, 11:59 »

Did anyone notice Sven called himself (or rather, had an imaginary foe, I mean date, call him) a "boy" in there?

For all his self-awareness, does he even realize he doesn't need fake ID anymore?

Guys are always called boys in the comic.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #107 on: 29 Sep 2010, 12:12 »

Sven is having the effect of alerting Hanners to and immunizing her against some manipulative dating moves. This is an invaluable service to her that doesn't benefit him, except maybe a little ego boost from showing off his knowledge. This is consistent with Sven being a good guy.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Heliphyneau

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Mommy, why is a naked clown crying on our lawn?
« Reply #108 on: 29 Sep 2010, 13:52 »

Sven is having the effect of alerting Hanners to and immunizing her against some manipulative dating moves. This is an invaluable service to her that doesn't benefit him, except maybe a little ego boost from showing off his knowledge. This is consistent with Sven being a good guy.

Indeed.  Also, Sven may potentially learn the difference between a "date" that is exclusively designed to make a lady fall into bed with him and a date in which two people actually get to know a little more about each other, thus making this "pretend date" of benefit to both of them.  The simple fact that sex is not on the table menu makes it easier to have a regular conversation.  Well, as regular as possible where theoretical relationship algebra is involved.   :wink:

I'm not sure if this is just my reaction to several folks wanting to see this, but I don't really want to see Angus and Faye show up at the same restaurant for their own date.  It'd be pointlessly intrusive when the spotlight should be on the pretend date.  There's enough of interest in the interplay between Hanners and Sven, and who knows what other wackiness may find them.  Heck, didn't Momo have a fantasy about Sven?  If Marigold happens by a restaurant window and they see them, hmm . . .  Actually, I take it back -- no interruptions from known cast members.  Except maybe Randy, running out of the kitchen.

Regarding the poll: the image of Angus waiting in a rosepetal-filled bathtub bubble bath with rose petals strewn about still has me giggling, so thanks for that.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Actually, I would posit that purple elephants do not contribute to the ruination of everything forever in any way.

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #109 on: 29 Sep 2010, 13:53 »

http://www.medicaldaily.com/news/20100928/2271/unlocking-the-secret-of-beauty-scientists-discover-the-complexities-of-attractive-female-bodies.htm

And if they'd just put the question to Hannelore, she coulda worked it out for them on a blackboard in a couple of hours.
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #110 on: 29 Sep 2010, 13:58 »

Sven is having the effect of alerting Hanners to and immunizing her against some manipulative dating moves. This is an invaluable service to her that doesn't benefit him, except maybe a little ego boost from showing off his knowledge. This is consistent with Sven trying to be a good guy.
Fixed.

I'm all for redemption, but let's not get over-excited. Basically admitting you're a manipulating douche is one thing. Actually not being one when there's no real consequences other than your conscience grumbling at you is another.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #111 on: 29 Sep 2010, 15:13 »

And if they'd just put the question to Hannelore, she coulda worked it out for them on a blackboard in a couple of hours.

That would put them on firm Theoretical footing, but they'd still need to do the survey to verify it empirically.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #112 on: 29 Sep 2010, 18:30 »

The theoretical aspects of this have been well established through several generations of debate in dorm rooms, bars and other places "boys" gather to discuss such things. 

Don't look at me - I never hung out with those guys.  . 

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #113 on: 29 Sep 2010, 20:13 »

That's it, Hanners. Keep petting and feeding that ego, and you may ferret out all of Sven's path to douchery.
She's her mother's daughter. Only nicer, and without the secret headquarters full of death-traps.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Tergon

• The German Chancellory building
  • Grandmaster of the Order of the Dickbroom
« Reply #114 on: 29 Sep 2010, 21:25 »

We've never seen Hannelore's secret headquarters full of death-traps.  But I bet she has some.  Hell, I bet when she was little, she had a trap system worthy of a Home Alone movie set up on that space station to play tricks on all the robots.  Of course, she immediately panicked at the mess she'd made and started cleaning furiously, but still.

...idle thought:  I wonder if that's a contributing factor for Hannelore's OCD?  Y'know, growing up in an environment where if things are messy, out-of-order or not working properly, you are probably going to die.  Even given the obviously advanced technology in the QC-niverse, especially when it's in the hands of Hannelore's dad, I can see how someone who basically grew up having to follow the rules of an Astronaut would have issues later in life.

Anyway.  I, too, hope that the date isn't interrupted.  I'm sure we'll get updates on what the rest of the gang is doing; Faye may or may not have plans with Angus tonight, Marigold may or may not be engaged in a deathmatch with Dale, Cosette and Steve may or may not be on a double-date with Penelope and Wil.  We'll no doubt check in on them.  But Hannelore and Sven deserve the chance to let this go off without an audience, even if it does somehow go catastrophically wrong due to a clumsy waiter or something.
Proud guardian of the original Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks

Holding the line against the Rabid Fanboy Horde

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #115 on: 29 Sep 2010, 22:02 »

And Hanners Padawan journey under Master Date Jedi Sven Bianchi begins.

Let's just hope she doesn't go to the dark side.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #116 on: 30 Sep 2010, 00:00 »

Then lets just hope Darth Sven wont see reason to use his lightsaber.
Carpe Diem

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #117 on: 30 Sep 2010, 01:12 »

Ah, Sven has now developed uncomfortable self realization tourettes
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

steveh11

• Plantmonster
    • steveh11's story page
« Reply #118 on: 30 Sep 2010, 01:13 »

Anyone notice Hanner's piercings?
"Nature always obeys Her own Laws" - Leonardo da Vinci

JackFaerie

• Furry furrier
« Reply #119 on: 30 Sep 2010, 01:24 »

Ok, so I'm notoriously pro-Sven, but how was any of that "douchey manipulation" and not simply, as he said, "trying to impress a girl"? Is it evil douchey manipulation when guys invite girls over for dinner and make their signature pasta alfredo/chicken parmesan/whatever or whatever dish, knowing that the reason it's such a popular date is that it shows the girl you are domestic and sensitive and hands-on, and makes her view you as boyfriend/husband material?  Or when a girl picks just the right outfit that is a mix of sexy-sultry and yet classy, to signal that she is ladylike but still meaning to arouse desire, so as to both keep the guy interested and yet not consider her easy? Or when either gender invites their date to their room, after having cleaned it up and put their best books/dvds/records/travel souvenirs on display, calculated to present themselves as appealing and interesting and invite conversation on points of commonality (especially if they oh-so-casually happen to place that Kurt Vonnegut book on their nightstand, because they know that will score them points)?  No, it's just what people do when they date.  It's just that Sven is, yes, slightly better at it and more self-aware of how it works, and able to put it into words.

Faye's little alphabet trick story is just as manipulative, even if she's not as consciously aware of it. We see she's used it on several boys, and she seems to use it quite purposefully: it performs several functions
a) it's an entertaining anecdote, and presents her as funny and sassy
b) it portrays her as a sexual being, so that the guy can know despite her general standoffishness, she does have and enjoy sex
c) it also shows her as demanding in the sexual arena, but humorously so, and encourages the date to think of how he would offer her a better experience than the guy in the story.

all together, it paints her as witty, funny, sexy, and makes the guy think about having sex with her (and if she chooses to call him on it, also shifts the power balance in her favor). Oooooooooh, evil manipulator!

As for today's comic: man, I usually go for skinny guys like Sven, but he's kinda right, and this goes for dudes too. Despite the media conditioning of attractiveness as tied to extreme thinness, it is really fun to get in the sack with someone who allows you to really experience the tactile properties of the body.

Polychrome

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #120 on: 30 Sep 2010, 01:35 »

Is that Khorne's Market in the background?
REASONABLY PRICED BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #121 on: 30 Sep 2010, 01:55 »

Do you mean the ones she's had in all day?

Or are you talking about the ones she's always had?

(Yes that really is the very first appearance of Hannelore Ellicot-Chatham, with the long hair, and the cigarettes, and the not freaking out when a stranger whips out his junk and takes a piss right in front of her!)

Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

pendrake

• Curry sauce
« Reply #122 on: 30 Sep 2010, 01:56 »

For comic #1764

1. "Edamame."  Good stuff, the soybean appetizer/snack.  My favorite are the spicy wasabi-laced ones, good for a pick-me-up & eye-opener snack when feeling wound down.  The "traditional" plain salt-water boiled ones are also tasty and filling too.

2. So Sven took Hanners out to a japanese place?  Good call for someone like Hannelore, i think.  Most japanese restaurants are very clean &/or organized ("most"...).  Guess Sven did indeed read the situation correctly, in Hanners' case.  Just keep Hanners away from the shochu! (shochu = japanese "whiskey," much stronger than sake rice-wine)

3. Poor Sven, downward spirals are hard to stop when you start sliding (speaking of experience :-( ).  But on the positive, he is honest to both Hanners and (more importantly) himself, and that helps a lot.

4. Poor Hanners.  Even if she were inclined to wind up in the sack with Sven, she just cannot compare to the "aerodynamically curvaceous" Faye.

5. Have to agree with Sven.  Hard to get worked up over less curvy women once you get a...ah..."taste"...of a woman like Faye (physically speaking, at least... :mrgreen: )

6. But could this mean a foreshadowing of Sven courting another curvaceous girl...?  A certain World of Warcraft tauren raid-tank of comprable bra-bursting curves...?  [dun Dun DUN!]
« Last Edit: 30 Sep 2010, 02:05 by pendrake »

jeanramone

• Not quite a lurker
  • The Holy Roman Empire rules for you.
« Reply #123 on: 30 Sep 2010, 01:57 »

Sven/Faye/Angus triangle: yes please!   8-)
Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #124 on: 30 Sep 2010, 02:59 »

Nah; Sven dating Marigold, with Faye and Angus taking the disapproving older sibling/parent role would be far more entertaining.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #125 on: 30 Sep 2010, 03:37 »

No, it's just what people do when they date.  It's just that Sven is, yes, slightly better at it and more self-aware of how it works, and able to put it into words.
You make some very good points. However is precisely his awareness that his moves are tactics, and that he is using them to create desire in his partner without any mention at all that he is "into" the girl beyond possibly her physical attraction, that makes Sven suspect. In todays comic his remark that once he'd "hit" a curvy girl, others seem flat suggests that he's got a long way to go in learning to see a woman as a person. (Flat!? Who are you calling flat?)

"Is this really what you're s'posed to talk about on a date?" You tell him, Hanners!

So Sven took Hanners out to a japanese place?  Good call for someone like Hannelore, i think.  Most japanese restaurants are very clean &/or organized ("most"...).
Would I be right in thinking you haven't spent much time in Tokyo? :lol:  Especially if it's a shabu-shabu place. The sticky floor is part of the experience! Westerners are so neurotic about these things; if the food is cooked hot enough, it doesn't matter what the kitchen is like! :evil:
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #126 on: 30 Sep 2010, 03:37 »

Once you go fat, you never go back.
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #127 on: 30 Sep 2010, 04:13 »

Ah, but you can! - but I'll not talk more about it publicly, thank you.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #128 on: 30 Sep 2010, 04:18 »

Well you can go back - dietary changes and better exercise will do wonders at allowing you to "go back" once you've "gone fat".

As for you Akima - the food being cooked isn't the problem, its what happens to the food between the stove and me that causes some concern.  But I will agree with you that Hanner's reaction is most appropriate - do you really discuss your attraction to a friend of your "date" in fairly graphic terms especially if the date doesn't "measure up".  A gentleman (or at least those of us who aspire to be one or have a little class) doesn't.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #129 on: 30 Sep 2010, 04:38 »

Ninja'd by Akima...

JackFaerie, there really is a difference between putting your best foot foward in the hopes of making a good first impression and what Sven was admitting to doing.  Douche may have been a bit harsh though, I'll grant you that.  Manipulative (and pretty shallow) still stands. 

I feel a bit for Hanners, this is not turning into what she had in mind.  But I think I really feel more for Sven.  He's not expressing it well, but he's really in no shape for a date yet, and he knows it.  Perhaps not the deep emotional level we'd like to see, but admitting he misses the sex is just scratching the surface of what it is he really feels.  He could start hitting on other curvy girls if he wished, but he hasn't - it's Faye that he misses, and he just doesn't know how to deal with that. 

Neither would I. 

foolsguinea

• Obscure cultural reference
Results (this one was up a bit longer)
« Reply #130 on: 30 Sep 2010, 04:39 »

Wednesday Question:    What are Faye & Angus doing right now?

~Silly, Faye's still at CoD, & he hasn't arrived yet!    7 (15.2%)
~Oh, no, Angus was there, just off-panel. He's waiting for her to get off work.    0 (0%)
~Angus was there, hiding under the counter. He & Faye are now ripping each other's clothes off in the back.    4 (8.7%)
~Angus just showed up after Sven & Hanners left.    2 (4.3%)
~Angus is waiting in a bubble bath with rose petals strewn about. Faye needs to check her messages.    11 (23.9%)
~Faye & Angus are having a big fight.    1 (2.2%)
~Actually, they broke up earlier, but the strip is going Hannelore-centric, so Jeph skipped it.    3 (6.5%)
~They're both still at work; calm down.    6 (13%)
~Sexing    3 (6.5%)
~Texting    0 (0%)
~Sexting    4 (8.7%)
~Watching Sven & Hanners through the window    2 (4.3%)
~Angus is planning an even finer date than the Sven/Hanners date.    3 (6.5%)

Total Voters: 46

innermoppet

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Call me El Conquistador
    • Profoundly Shallow
« Reply #131 on: 30 Sep 2010, 05:39 »

No ones mentioned it, but if Sven misses Faye's curves and not Faye, it wouldn't be hard to go out and tap a girl with comparable body type. He's in denial. I don't think he's IN LOVE with Faye, but I think they had something special and he misses HER but he's still not admitting it. He is focusing on her body as a way to disconnect from the actual emotions he may be feeling, like guilt and hurt and even anger. I mean he did try to take her out on a real date and she shot him down. She wanted it strictly booty call and then got mad when he treated it as such. I'm sure part of him is angry and a bit bewildered.
Sam: So let me get this straight. You want to drive all the way to Cicero just to hook up with some random chick?
Dean: She was a yoga teacher. That was the bendiest weekend of my life!

-Supernatural-

BryanP

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #132 on: 30 Sep 2010, 05:39 »

Sven has finally realized the truth: skinny women just aren't all that interesting.  

Even the three little pigs knew the truth:  If you're going to spend a lot of time inside something you don't build it out of sticks.

steveh11

• Plantmonster
    • steveh11's story page
« Reply #133 on: 30 Sep 2010, 05:46 »

Do you mean the ones she's had in all day?

Or are you talking about the ones she's always had?

(Yes that really is the very first appearance of Hannelore Ellicot-Chatham, with the long hair, and the cigarettes, and the not freaking out when a stranger whips out his junk and takes a piss right in front of her!)

Yes, those.  The ones that Jeph orginally forgot to put in...
http://twitter.com/jephjacques/status/25960423634
 :-)

"Nature always obeys Her own Laws" - Leonardo da Vinci

Tergon

« Reply #134 on: 30 Sep 2010, 06:48 »

I think that Sven is being perfectly honest in that he says what he misses about Faye is their physical relationship.  While it's maybe a bit of a jerkass thing for him to say, the simple fact is that you can't miss what you never had, and he and Faye did not have an emotional or romantic connection.  They were, quite bluntly, fuckbuddies.  They didn't date, they didn't hang out, and from what we saw, they very rarely spent time together unless they were going to have sex.  Aside from pillow talk and a few half-hearted gestures on either side, it really was a purely physical relationship.  And, let's be fair about this, Sven enjoys sex and finds Faye attractive, and she's apparently not bad in the sack.  Him saying that he misses Faye because they had great sex makes absolutely perfect sense in every way.
That being said, while there wasn't any acknowledged emotional connection, it's also blindingly obvious that by the time they broke it off, a connection had formed.  Sven didn't want to tell Faye he slept with someone else, and even though at the time he claimed it was for selfish reasons (he didn't want to lose his booty-call), I think we all agree it was mostly because he was ashamed and didn't want to admit he'd "cheated".  And when he and Faye did break it off, they obviously both felt like complete shit as a result of it.  The whole developing-feelings thing snuck up on both of them, and neither wanted to admit it.
That's why I think Sven is being honest with what he says to Hanners in this comic - he's refusing to admit any real feelings he developed for Faye, not just to Hannelore, but to himself.  He's spent so long telling himself that since he and Faye only had a physical relationship, that's obviously what he misses, and it's definitely not anything else, that I think he's even managed to make himself believe it a little.  It's easier than admitting that he actually cared about her beyond the sex.
So, in essence:  I think that technically, he's telling the truth in this, but it's decidedly less douchey than it seems at first glance.

I do feel sorry for Hanners, though.  Not the date she was expecting... unless, of course, she decides that this IS what one's supposed to do on a date, and she talks about boys she's had a crush on in the past.  Which seems limited to Monk, random firemen, and possibly Marten.
« Last Edit: 30 Sep 2010, 06:50 by Tergon »

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #135 on: 30 Sep 2010, 06:52 »

Sven has finally realized the truth: skinny women just aren't all that interesting.  
Please stop going to extremes.

Women arent digital : either skinny or chubby.

And yes a body that is skin and bones is never really attractive, but I doubt that is news to Sven or any other man.

I do feel sorry for Hanners, though.
Nah, she knows its a fake date, just for fun, so she can have a bit of an insight.

If there where some imperfect parts, so be it.
« Last Edit: 30 Sep 2010, 06:56 by snubnose »
Carpe Diem

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #136 on: 30 Sep 2010, 07:31 »

And yes a body that is skin and bones is never really attractive, but I doubt that is news to Sven or any other man.

The husband of a nicely-covered friend of mine has just left her for someone with borderline anorexia; there's no accounting for taste...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

vettechinohio

« Reply #137 on: 30 Sep 2010, 07:33 »

I do feel sorry for Hanners, though.  Not the date she was expecting... unless, of course, she decides that this IS what one's supposed to do on a date, and she talks about boys she's had a crush on in the past.  Which seems limited to Monk, random firemen, and possibly Marten.

Don't forget Indy!
You can't do that to a jellyfish! I'm calling the authorities, you dirty jelly molester!

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #138 on: 30 Sep 2010, 07:50 »

Tergon, my sentiments exactly.  Better expressed, of course, but I'm getting used to that.

No ones mentioned it, but if Sven misses Faye's curves and not Faye, it wouldn't be hard to go out and tap a girl with comparable body type.

<snip>

Dude, look two posts up from yours.  I know the poll results are a bit distracting, but I didn't think my post was TL;DR! 

Tergon

« Reply #139 on: 30 Sep 2010, 08:00 »

Tergon, my sentiments exactly.  Better expressed, of course, but I'm getting used to that.

No ones mentioned it, but if Sven misses Faye's curves and not Faye, it wouldn't be hard to go out and tap a girl with comparable body type.

<snip>

Dude, look two posts up from yours.  I know the poll results are a bit distracting, but I didn't think my post was TL;DR! 

I JUST WANTED TO POINT OUT THAT I DID NOT READ THE POST THAT I QUOTED BECAUSE I DID NOT ACTUALLY SEE IT

NOR DID I SEE THE POST THAT IT IS REFERENCING

WHO IS THIS CARL-E YOU ALL SPEAK OF

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #140 on: 30 Sep 2010, 08:31 »

He's asleep in the can. 

Tergon

« Reply #141 on: 30 Sep 2010, 08:34 »

Who said that?

BryanP

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #142 on: 30 Sep 2010, 09:33 »

Please stop going to extremes.

Women arent digital : either skinny or chubby.

Okay, fine.  I'll restate:  Sven is interested in a woman with curves.  Me, personally, I find curvy women to be more aesthetically appealing than skinny women. 

Steve the Pocket

• Emoticontraindication
  • Nyoro~n is the new desu
« Reply #143 on: 30 Sep 2010, 10:17 »

Best part about today's strip is the ad that popped up when I logged on.

pendrake

• Curry sauce
« Reply #144 on: 30 Sep 2010, 10:21 »

Akima,

Actually, yes I have visited and dined in Tokyo, multiple times in my life (for which I am grateful for the travel experience).  And yes, I have eaten shabu-shabu/sukiyaki, I personally enjoy it a lot and have rarely been able to find a particularly good place/franchise in the Americas (so I own a dual-sided hot-pot of my own for it 8-) ).  And yes, I have eaten at half-street ramen shops sitting on a stool, slurping down noodles on a precariously balanced bowl from a "table" sticking out of the wall about the size of a wooden chopping board (might have *been* a wooden chopping board nailed to the wall...hah, j/k).  And I have eaten at "sketchy" places which even the local gangs would probably not use as a front on account of the R.O.U.S'es numbering equal-to or greater than the staff and patrons :police: .

But I take no offense at any of that, of course.

What I had meant in my earlier comment was that it was probably a good call on a "westernized" japanese restaurant that Sven has taken Hannelore to (who probably qualifies as a "neurotic Westerner" :wink: ).  Though I doubt Hanners will be the type for shabu-shabu, sashimi, or sushi (mochi might be for her though...).
« Last Edit: 30 Sep 2010, 10:23 by pendrake »

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #145 on: 30 Sep 2010, 10:30 »

No, it's just what people do when they date.  It's just that Sven is, yes, slightly better at it and more self-aware of how it works, and able to put it into words.
You make some very good points. However is precisely his awareness that his moves are tactics, and that he is using them to create desire in his partner without any mention at all that he is "into" the girl beyond possibly her physical attraction, that makes Sven suspect. In todays comic his remark that once he'd "hit" a curvy girl, others seem flat suggests that he's got a long way to go in learning to see a woman as a person. (Flat!? Who are you calling flat?)

"Is this really what you're s'posed to talk about on a date?" You tell him, Hanners!

[snip Japanese restaurant stuff]
The reason I see Sven as a douche is what you've said, plus this—he knows that he's creating a wonderful excitement for these girls, and he surely also knows they're likely going to think it's the start of something special—if not the first time, soon after, he'd have had to discover this. I may be inferring, but it appears to me this tactic will work best on a lady who's not had much experience, is a little withdrawn, and/or does not typically do one-night (one week, what have you) stands—or at least that's the sort I see thinking "crazy things I'd never normally do." Specifically, never and normally give me this impression. Also, if Sven thinks, as I'm sure someone will point out, he's giving these ladies 'wonderful experiences,' then why his long post-Faye funk? I don't think it's just about Faye, even if Sven wants to pretend that. He also wants to pretend that what was between him and Faye was purely physical when she was his friend first (to address your point, Tergon—they did hang out, just not after the sex started), someone it appeared to me that he enjoyed spending time with (which was the reason I had hopes for Sven and Faye when they first got together; I guessed that this was the first girl Sven had been friends with before he had sex with her, or perhaps even at all).

Even the clearly savvy Genevieve seems to feel used—why else has she cornered the man who gave her a few 'fun times in bed' in the bathroom? Because she recognizes that Sven's a predator, using his skills to get what he wants and then leaving his wounded prey behind to fend for itself. There are, I suppose, men who simply love women, all women, and can provide one special night that their partners can smile about the next day without feeling like they've been had. Sven, it seems to me, is not one of them, though. Sven doesn't love women—he loves getting laid. The woman is simply the means to that end, so much that he tries to cast the first meaningful relationship he's had solely in terms of sexual experience. It's not Faye's wit or her ability to call him on things that Sven misses—oh, noes! He misses her tits and her ass, because, really, what else is there?  

And, hey, Tergon, we remember, even if Svenny-boy doesn't (or, more likely, doesn't want to), that Faye tried to have a date with him; he was the one who shut that down in favor of more sex.

So, in short, Sven has been and is a prick—literally. He can be more, of course, but he has to stop seeing life soley in terms of means to gratify his penis first. There's more to life than sex—really—and more to women (and men, believe it or not) then their sexual abilities, too. This little profession of lust for Faye proves to me that he'd got a long damn way to go before he manages that—or needs to experience a rather radical epiphany, take your pick.

Oh, and Jeph needn't worry. He's not shown women are easy to manipulate. We already know that, because they're human beings, and as such are notoriously easy to manipulate, no more so than when they're made to feel they're part of, or, better, are something special. What he has shown, though, is what you do to yourself when you indulge in exploiting this vulnerability too much for your own ends. Everybody becomes a mark. That's where I see Sven being right now. I do think he wants out of it, but hasn't the slightest idea how to do so. Luckily for him, one of the best people in the cast at seeing through self-serving nonsense the people tend to confuse themselves with is sitting with him right now. I'm hoping her next question is…but I'll let Jeph deal with that. You can PM me if you want my marker, though.

Then lets just hope Darth Sven wont see reason to use his lightsaber.
That would be a shame, because I suspect that Ultra-Violence Master Dora would then cut it off and make him eat it.
Don't forget Indy!
Never. Or Mr. Clean. Or the firemen. Apparently, Hanners really digs the square-jawed type.
« Last Edit: 30 Sep 2010, 10:40 by raoullefere »

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #146 on: 30 Sep 2010, 10:45 »

Best part about today's strip is the ad that popped up when I logged on.

[pic snipped]

And the mouseover.. "Not even a little bit"

Yesterday's Wrongtown ad said something about a clean restaurant...

Also, re: the poll.  I'm thinkin' Wil, but indirectly - Sven's gonna need a drink if he keeps this up, and Hanners probably wouldn't mind one either...
« Last Edit: 30 Sep 2010, 10:47 by Carl-E »

ink slinger

« Reply #147 on: 30 Sep 2010, 11:27 »

Sven speaks the truth.

OK, so maybe he just speaks for me and my truth. Whatever. :laugh:

Cold

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #148 on: 30 Sep 2010, 11:52 »

We're all missing the point here, which is that the edamame song is the cutest thing.
READ MY COMICS OR DIE

Floyd and Mike
Bayeux Rhythms

Heliphyneau

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Mommy, why is a naked clown crying on our lawn?
« Reply #149 on: 30 Sep 2010, 12:00 »

Sven's gonna need a drink if he keeps this up, and Hanners probably wouldn't mind one either...

By the look of what's on the table, it seems Sven is hitting the sake already.  Perhaps it's hitting back?   :-D  I can't tell what Hanners is having -- other than edamame (ed a ma me!  sing it!) and an earful of TMI.  Cue the part where Sven opens his mouth and splashes the entire contents of his glass onto his face . . .

And yeah, if the only thing Sven misses about Faye are her epic tits and ass, Marigold's pretty much got that covered.

I wonder if Hanners is actually going to try sushi.  For some reason, I see her really scrutinizing it first -- counting the suckers on her piece of taro, testing the tensile strength of a seaweed wrapping . . .
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Actually, I would posit that purple elephants do not contribute to the ruination of everything forever in any way.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up