THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 13 Jun 2024, 05:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What's going to happen before Veronica leaves town?

Reconciliation - between the sheets.
- 4 (3.1%)
Platonic Reconciliation.
- 11 (8.7%)
Hilarious Misunderstanding.
- 17 (13.4%)
MARTEN RAAAAAAGGGGGEEEE!
- 26 (20.5%)
DORA RAAAAAAGGGGGEEEE!
- 0 (0%)
FAYE RAAAAAAGGGGGEEEE!
- 4 (3.1%)
Hannelore Hulks out!
- 6 (4.7%)
Sven Seduction!
- 9 (7.1%)
Cosette Burns down COD, everyone dies.
- 18 (14.2%)
Pintsize!
- 8 (6.3%)
Waffles!
- 24 (18.9%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT January 3-7, 2011 (1831-1835)  (Read 108274 times)

Olymander

• Larger than most fish
Re: WCDT January 3-7, 2011 (1831-1835)
« Reply #250 on: 06 Jan 2011, 07:59 »

Oh, and in terms of minor details... I just noticed that the age lines around Mrs. Reed's mouth are pretty much gone, and have been for a little while.

Wraith11B

• Larger than most fish
  • A Waste of Human Reproductive Facilities
« Reply #251 on: 06 Jan 2011, 07:59 »

I like that as of now, no one has voted for Dora Rage.  Marten and Faye are both raging out and there is a slight chance of HanneloRAGE/turning green.

Fun times.
SPC, Infantry
3rd Platoon (RHINO), B Co 256STB
III Corps STB "Phantom Warrior"
USF-I

warningfromspace

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #252 on: 06 Jan 2011, 08:01 »

They still dont have their food....

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #253 on: 06 Jan 2011, 08:46 »

Well, I watched the video of today's installment, Veronica's return to the restaurant, being drawn ... and I gotta tell you, until the dialog balloons went in, it looked like things were going to be a lot worse than the fingernails joke. Try the exercise in your head: subtract the dialog and it looks like Marten is going cold on a wounded Veronica while Tai and Hanners look on in horror, then consternation as the excrement appears to hit the air-management device.
... Damn you, sir, he said to Jeph in admiration.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

cuzsis

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #254 on: 06 Jan 2011, 10:48 »

- She casually told people *point blank* that she didn't see the relationship lasting. (Not that she ever bothered to tell Marten or anything.)

When was that? (Not saying you're wrong, I just can't remember that happening).

Argh. I can't seem to find the comic for it (I read through a whole bunch of them not too long ago, so it's kind of a blur.)

I just seem to remember Faye and Dora talking about her relationship with Marten. Dora was mentioning that she didn't see it lasting forever or anything, but she was enjoying herself.

I just remember reading it and thinking...Wow, here she was complaining about Faye keeping Marten from other girls and she's essentially doing the same thing now!

Gotta get back to my homework though, so I can't go searching for it. If I run into it again I'll post it up.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #255 on: 06 Jan 2011, 11:32 »

CSI?  Hell, let Gibbs know he can find the perfect partner for Abby in Massachusetts.     :-D

And as for Marten;

"Ignition sequence start."
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #256 on: 06 Jan 2011, 11:37 »

And as for Marten;

"Ignition sequence start."

What? We're going to see a Mission: Impossible type escape from the restaurant, as young Mr. Reed looks at his mother and says "You've never seen me angry." and suddenly a previously unseen fish tank explodes, washing everyone off their feet as Marten leaps through the window?

Rascal

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #257 on: 06 Jan 2011, 11:48 »

What Carl-E said above. Saving people from themselves sounds like a noble goal, but in practice it seldom works out for either the prospective rescuer or rescuee. Only Dora can choose to "save herself" here, and if both she and Marten are in a place to resume their relationship after she's saved herself, so much the better. But before then, it's best for both that they go their separate ways for now.

I never condoned nor suggested saving her. But he can be there for her. It's her journey to take but he could be alongside her at the very least. This is the sort of thing you work out together. You don't just pack up your shit and bail.

Before we were married, my wife and I reached a point where we were starting to fight, tensions were rising; it seemed like we were on the verge of breaking up. But instead of doing the easy thing, we talked. We talked a lot. We opened up, we confessed, confided, we opened our minds, and our opinions, and our hearts. And hoo boy, were there some fights and some very uncomfortable conversations. We talked to others, sought help when we needed it, and overcame it. And from that, we were married a year or two later and couldn't be happier.

What Dora and Marten are doing is stupid and foolish. She broke up with him. He's going to find someone else. He's not going to just wait for her to get better, and then everything will be rainbows and unicorns. People either grow together, or they grow apart. Broken up like this? They will grow apart. Change and evolve separately from one another, instead of symbiotically.

So if Dora thinks that she can get some therapy and then come back, that everything will be perfectly fine and she can date Marten again, she's in for a very rude awakening. Dora took the easy, disturbingly naive and cowardly way out, and Marten let her.

She's the one that jumped him like a lioness on a lone gazelle. How is she going to feel seeing him with someone else? Knowing the first, perfect, decent guy that she dated -- the guy that truly loved and cared for her -- is loving and caring for some other girl? If we thought Faye had a hard time of it? Heh.

As for his mother's behavior, I've given up trying to figure out her angle. Whatever it is, it doesn't seem to be helping him very much.

ndperfesser

• Plantmonster
« Reply #258 on: 06 Jan 2011, 11:52 »

perhaps Mrs Reed picked up on the fact that Dora wants to be punished, and is punishing her by not giver her what she wants?
screwing with her mind instead of physically or out loud or anything

i hope thats what it is, anyway!

Old joke: A masochist is someone who says, "Hurt me" and a sadist is someone who says, "NO!"

(I said it was old, not funny.)
 :-D
« Last Edit: 06 Jan 2011, 11:56 by ndperfesser »

Bologna

• Plantmonster
« Reply #259 on: 06 Jan 2011, 12:01 »

Throughout this whole Veronica visits Marten sequence, I've never really felt truly uncomfortable for Marten until just now.  I mean, look at his face.  He's genuinely ticked off.  What the heck is she doing, anyways?  She barely knows Dora, as far as I can tell, and she goes and hunts her down and gives her condolences for breaking up with her own son?  What?  Why is she so concerned about Dora's state of being, especially when she doesn't seem to be that concerned for Marten's?

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #260 on: 06 Jan 2011, 12:46 »

Dora stuff

If she did say that, I don't specifically remember it, I would say it is because Dora doesn't expect ANY of her relationships to last. Given her history, I am not surprised. Frankly, I feel the same way. It used to scare me into essentially self-sabotaging them jsut to hurry it along. Every relationship ends somehow, either through break up or death. Now I just enjoy them while they last, since there is no way of knowing how it will turn out.  It seems, according to your half-remembered strip, that Dora was trying to do the same thing. At least until the relationship really started to be important to her and feel good, that's when the fear sets in.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #261 on: 06 Jan 2011, 13:25 »

Not necessarily true, Hannelore. Veronica could've just used a pistol with a silencer to take Dora out quickly and quietly.

Just sayin'

Or kidnap her and sell her to white slavers and be some harem slave to some Sheik in Dubai.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #262 on: 06 Jan 2011, 13:58 »

IN the midst of whatever the hell I'm doing, stopped in to point out that Veronica didn't physically assault Dora (at least not in the conventional sense), just as I predicted.

On the other hand, I wasn't expecting her to be quite that understanding. Poor Dora. The one person she was counting on to give her the hell she wants to have coming lets her down. Life's such a bitch that way.

That's all. Carry on. (Because I know you need my permission)
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

GeoffTheLlama

• Plantmonster
« Reply #263 on: 06 Jan 2011, 14:19 »

What Dora and Marten are doing is stupid and foolish. She broke up with him. He's going to find someone else. He's not going to just wait for her to get better, and then everything will be rainbows and unicorns. People either grow together, or they grow apart. Broken up like this? They will grow apart. Change and evolve separately from one another, instead of symbiotically.

So if Dora thinks that she can get some therapy and then come back, that everything will be perfectly fine and she can date Marten again, she's in for a very rude awakening. Dora took the easy, disturbingly naive and cowardly way out, and Marten let her.

She's the one that jumped him like a lioness on a lone gazelle. How is she going to feel seeing him with someone else? Knowing the first, perfect, decent guy that she dated -- the guy that truly loved and cared for her -- is loving and caring for some other girl? If we thought Faye had a hard time of it? Heh.

That's just it - I'm not so sure she does expect to go back to him when she's 'better'.  Based on how she broke up with him ("We had a good run, sweetie"), I think she fully expects this to be it. Finito. Done.  In light of that, I don't see how this is cowardly or naive - it's just her choice to move on.  And she has the right to make that choice.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #264 on: 06 Jan 2011, 14:44 »

All right, as keeper of the SxS archive, I have to step in.

Dora was beating herself up about this relationship since, oh, strip 229. Heck, she didn't even see it lasting right after she kissed Marten. (See 565.)

And, of course, there was her request for Faye to "beat her up" in 568 - which is scarily prescient in retrospect.

Heck, take a look at all the strips Dora's in between "The Kiss" and "The First Date" (through about 620). She was second-guessing the relationship from the fricken START.

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #265 on: 06 Jan 2011, 19:39 »

Argh. I can't seem to find the comic for it (I read through a whole bunch of them not too long ago, so it's kind of a blur.)
Pix or it didn't happen!
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #266 on: 06 Jan 2011, 20:28 »

You people suck.  Who doesn't want to see Hanners Hulk out?

Or at least pull on the blue biosuit again and pick up a broom and bucket and put her game face on?
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Skelepunk

• Emoticontraindication
  • Set it on fire!
« Reply #267 on: 06 Jan 2011, 21:04 »

I've made a point to champion waffles on every poll, and so cannot support hannerhulk.
We all have a cross we must bear.... as a blunt object to bludgeon others with.
 Purinpuff

innermoppet

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Call me El Conquistador
    • Profoundly Shallow
« Reply #268 on: 06 Jan 2011, 21:24 »

I never condoned nor suggested saving her. But he can be there for her. It's her journey to take but he could be alongside her at the very least. This is the sort of thing you work out together. You don't just pack up your shit and bail.

Before we were married, my wife and I reached a point where we were starting to fight, tensions were rising; it seemed like we were on the verge of breaking up. But instead of doing the easy thing, we talked. We talked a lot. We opened up, we confessed, confided, we opened our minds, and our opinions, and our hearts. And hoo boy, were there some fights and some very uncomfortable conversations. We talked to others, sought help when we needed it, and overcame it. And from that, we were married a year or two later and couldn't be happier.

As for his mother's behavior, I've given up trying to figure out her angle. Whatever it is, it doesn't seem to be helping him very much.

Word times 1000.

It sucks when relationships end, no matter what the reason, but the truth is if you don't trust your partner to stick around when times get tough, then you just really DON'T TRUST YOUR PARTNER. She had no faith in the relationship nor in Marten. She was grown up enough to say, I know I have a problem, but not grown up enough to ask him to stick with her while she works through it.

Marten didn't fight for it either (that we know of or saw) but I get the feeling that he was sort of over the whole thing. Yeah he loved her but her bullshit was making him nuts and I'm sure he's sad and depressed and feels like a loser (which is how everyone feels when they get dumped- it's being fired from a relationship) but I also think he probably felt relief. I've been in some terrible relationships and when they were over I was both hurt and relieved. I lost a lot of emotional weight over the  years. I think that's where he is. I'm guessing.

And Veronica is pissing me off. But I have faith that she either has a plan, or that Marten will snap and finally let loose some of that internalized aggression.
Sam: So let me get this straight. You want to drive all the way to Cicero just to hook up with some random chick?
Dean: She was a yoga teacher. That was the bendiest weekend of my life!

-Supernatural-

albus

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #269 on: 06 Jan 2011, 21:48 »

perhaps Mrs Reed picked up on the fact that Dora wants to be punished, and is punishing her by not giver her what she wants?
screwing with her mind instead of physically or out loud or anything

i hope thats what it is, anyway!

Old joke: A masochist is someone who says, "Hurt me" and a sadist is someone who says, "NO!"

(I said it was old, not funny.)
 :-D

and then rorschach dorpped him into the elevartor hole

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #270 on: 06 Jan 2011, 23:19 »

Pure and utter speculation, it definitely has to be waffles this time.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #271 on: 06 Jan 2011, 23:23 »

I've just noticed, on fifth or sixth reading, the "uh-oh" glance Tai and Hanners exchange in panel two. Very nice touch.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #272 on: 06 Jan 2011, 23:32 »

I picked it this time too. It's bound to happen one of these days.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #273 on: 06 Jan 2011, 23:42 »

Hanners !!!!
Carpe Diem

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.
« Reply #274 on: 07 Jan 2011, 00:48 »

Didn't waffles just win a round? Waffles are bitches anyways, strutting around like they own the breakfast world. Vote for a better tomorrow (for Veronica anyway). Vote for using what she brought in her carryon. Vote Sven seduction.

Oh, and for everyone pissed off at the Divine Miss Reed, do regard that Marten isn't worried that his mom talked to Dora, he's worried she overreacted and went all predatory on her. I think Veronica does have a history of crossing Marten's bounds, buuuuut it may be that she's been overprotective in that, rather than not caring, and now she's trying to give him space.

Honestly, I don't know how jealous he'd be of what she actually did. He can be surprisingly adult, our Marty, but lately everyone has forgotten that in a rush to see him act like a two-year-old and our daily exercise of hyperbole.
« Last Edit: 07 Jan 2011, 01:03 by Dr. ROFLPWN »
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #275 on: 07 Jan 2011, 01:46 »

Yay comic !

I think Marten has a point. :D
Carpe Diem

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #276 on: 07 Jan 2011, 01:50 »

TIBERIUS

Brilliant

Not even his real middle name.

Even better

Using it any.

Bwa ha ha ha ha.

Remember kids, the more in trouble you are, the longer your name will get.

LAW FACT TRUTH

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #277 on: 07 Jan 2011, 01:51 »

Middle names we didn't get...  I guess mine might have been Boniface (I actually got that pope's pre-baptismal name).

To my mind Veronica is now definitely out of order, though.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Delator

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • In my own little world
« Reply #278 on: 07 Jan 2011, 01:52 »

"...if his father weren't such a stick in the mud."

Uh-oh.

...I have a feeling that the worst thing Veronica could have done at that point was badmouth Dad.

:psyduck:
No, I will never settle on a particular avatar.

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #279 on: 07 Jan 2011, 02:10 »

To my mind Veronica is now definitely out of order, though.

I reckon not.

Pushing him to be better by unorthodox means but still within reason.

cherrypi

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #280 on: 07 Jan 2011, 02:14 »

"...if his father weren't such a stick in the mud."

Uh-oh.

...I have a feeling that the worst thing Veronica could have done at that point was badmouth Dad.

:psyduck:

I...really don't see anything bad coming of what Veronica said. It was just a means to a punchline. I highly doubt Jeph was planning to take that throw-away comment to any form of extension.

Actually, I have no idea where Jeph is heading at all at the moment. And that's why I voted for the scrumptious goodness that is waffles! Because you can't go wrong with waffles. (Unless you burn the waffles).

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #281 on: 07 Jan 2011, 02:15 »

I have this sense that the next sweep of posts, from here to the weekend through, will be variations on how Veronica is a HUGE BITCH BLUH BLUH, combined with novellas detailing personal theorems about how Marty was treated as a child and possibly the invocation of child abuse, further opining on how Marten should explode into violent hipster rage, and hyperbole of all stripes. I really hope I'm not right.

That being said, dang, Veronica, you're certainly cracking the proverbial whip...but then again, being way rude to your mother in public is its own kind of out of order.
« Last Edit: 07 Jan 2011, 02:17 by Dr. ROFLPWN »
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #282 on: 07 Jan 2011, 02:18 »

EDIT: and now to fulfill Dr. ROFLPWN's lowest expectations... :-P

Damn. That last comic was painful to read. Marten is SO utterly dominated by his mother it's sad to watch-it's like he's still 6 years old or something. There will obviously be no Marten Rage, since Mother will not allow it.

It's also obvious from this page why he didn't try to fight for his relationship with Dora. Sure he may have been sick of her insecurities, but a bigger reason may be that he's been conditioned by Mother to do what women say. So if Dora says it's over, then it's over, no matter if he may think otherwise.

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

westrim

« Reply #283 on: 07 Jan 2011, 02:20 »

I would have been more satisfied if Marten had gone ahead and raged at him mom, right there, instead of being a doormat yet again:

"NO! YOU apologize! You're goddamn right I'm in a bad mood, and you DON'T get to hold being my mother over me like some fucking get-out-of-being-decent card!  I feel like shit right now, and the last thing I needed was you coming here making things WORSE, HITTING on people for me, embarrassing me, making googly eyes at my friends and talking to my ex-girlfriend BEHIND MY BACK as though I couldn't handle it!" (take 1)*breaks down sobbing right there on the sidewalk* (take 2)*runs back home/to Steve's/ fuck it , some park, and cries* (take 3) *pulls out a weapon and gets to matriciding* (In all takes we get a shot of random bystanders and Tainners looking on in horror).

I finally saw Tron in Imax 3d, and it was pretty damn good. Strong story, excellent effects, sympathetic characters on all sides. /end breather

But hey, I don't write the comic, so whatever. I'm still along for the ride, but it sure would be nice if Veronica actually got called on being pretty shitty to him ever since she arrived. Rants aside, I truly don't believe that being a parent gives someone the right to do pretty much anything she's done since she arrived, and especially to someone in a bad place right then. Etc, etc, stopping now before I seem actually ranty.

I have this sense that the next sweep of posts, from here to the weekend through, will be variations on how Veronica is a HUGE BITCH BLUH BLUH, combined with novellas detailing personal theorems about how Marty was treated as a child and possibly the invocation of child abuse, further opining on how Marten should explode into violent hipster rage, and hyperbole of all stripes. I really hope I'm not right.

That being said, dang, Veronica, you're certainly cracking the proverbial whip...but then again, being way rude to your mother in public is its own kind of out of order.

Well hey, when a character's acting badly people are going to comment on it, just like people comment when Hannelore does something adorable. And no, asking a girl to go out with your son in front of him when he just had a breakup is out of order. He's reacting, and I'm a lot more sympathetic to people operating in line with Newton's laws.

words
No, I'm not going to make a mega post again, I promised myself I would stop that.
« Last Edit: 07 Jan 2011, 03:44 by westrim »

akronnick

• I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #284 on: 07 Jan 2011, 02:24 »

I picked it this time too. It's bound to happen one of these days.

Wait.

I thought waffles was a euphemism for sex  :? :-o :|

And Veronica should be so glad that Faye wasn't there when she snapped at Marten like that. She has no idea how close to death she just came.

And yes, Veronica is wah-ah-ah-ah-ayy over the line now. Marten's a grown man with actual feelings. You don't need to humiliate him in front of his friends by talking to him like he's six years old.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #285 on: 07 Jan 2011, 02:36 »

Unless that grown man needs to be broken out of sitting around and taking it.

Pika_power

• Plantmonster
« Reply #286 on: 07 Jan 2011, 02:44 »

I'm beginning to get the feeling that as readers, we aren't supposed to be sympathising with Marten. :/

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #287 on: 07 Jan 2011, 02:46 »

Hmmm... I really don't like this. I mean, Marten is taking a lot of shit from everybody when he's probably in need of a hug more than Dora.

A part of me likes this though since this is interesting for the comic and all... But I would like to see Marten rage at some point because I think he totally deserves it.

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet
« Reply #288 on: 07 Jan 2011, 02:49 »

Nice Star Trek reference.

parvles

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #289 on: 07 Jan 2011, 03:14 »

ok, so Veronica goes out of her way to coddle Dora, and then is so poorly in tune with her son to see how far she is pushing him to the point of being obtuse. I mean, it's WEIRD for the mother of your ex-boyfriend to go out of her way to see you, behind her son's back, in order to tell you things are ok. It's weird, and it's especially weird since she and Dora had no relationship other than meeting once... before they were even dating.

Anyway, I am enjoying the comic, it's just frustrating to watch these developments at the moment.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #290 on: 07 Jan 2011, 03:15 »

Unless that grown man needs to be broken out of sitting around and taking it.

You don't do that by treating him like a child.  I had plenty enough cause to be angry with my children at times when they were in their 20s, but I would never have conceived of treating them like that.

Any way, sitting around and taking it?  We're only a day or two post breakup, and we hardly have any idea yet how he is going to move on.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #291 on: 07 Jan 2011, 03:20 »

I was thinking more along the lines of Marten generally being a person who "takes it". Sure we don't know how he's going to deal with this but I suspect that his mum is familiar with his form and working from there.

I also don't think his mum is angry with him so I'm not sure how that's relevant. I'll even take the bold move of presuming that Marten is wholly like your children.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #292 on: 07 Jan 2011, 03:25 »

She's only annoyed by the answering back, but her response is simply not appropriate at that age.

(My children were not like Marten - I was more like at that age, though, in several ways.)

muffin_of_chaos

• Plantmonster
« Reply #293 on: 07 Jan 2011, 03:34 »

I would have been more satisfied if Marten had gone ahead and raged at him mom, right there, instead of being a doormat yet again:

"NO! YOU apologize! You're fucking right I'm in a bad mood, and you DON'T get to hold being my mother over me like some fucking get-out-of-being-decent card!  I feel like shit right now, and the last thing I needed was you coming here making things WORSE, HITTING on people for me, embarrassing me, making googly eyes at my friends and talking to my ex-girlfriend BEHIND MY BACK as though I couldn't handle it! You're goddamn right I'm in a bad mood, and you don't get to hold being my mother over me like some fucking get out of apologizing free card!"

Well done.
I feel like this would be a more justified response than meek obedience, as long as he wasn't too vehement about it.
Veronica might be doing the best possible thing for Marten right now.  I don't know, I'm not a doctor.  But her awesomeness should not be confused with her having some sort of moral superiority here, as if Marten is still her dependent.
Unless he is.  I'm not sure whether or not he's supported by mother.

I would like to see Marten get a bit more love.  It feels wrong that we've seen Dora get hugged nine hundred percent more per comic than him.
But even if it feels wrong, it makes sense, for it seems that--at the moment--Marten doesn't actually respond to the sympathy others have for his plight.  Too self-focused.
Been there myself.  Makes the love he gets sort of less relevant than Dora's: she seems to want it and accept it more.  Even while fearing worse.
Very common for dumpers worried about the future of their social circle.

ok, so Veronica goes out of her way to coddle Dora, and then is so poorly in tune with her son to see how far she is pushing him to the point of being obtuse. I mean, it's WEIRD for the mother of your ex-boyfriend to go out of her way to see you, behind her son's back, in order to tell you things are ok. It's weird, and it's especially weird since she and Dora had no relationship other than meeting once... before they were even dating.

Anyway, I am enjoying the comic, it's just frustrating to watch these developments at the moment.

Part of Jeph's genius is that he's extremely aware of the individual quirks of his characters; he doesn't ever try to shift them into author-avatars or significantly break character for mere plot device.  That I can remember.

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #294 on: 07 Jan 2011, 04:08 »

Certainly when a character acts in a way people don't like they're going to comment on it, but it would be cool if we could, you know, tone down some of the hyperbole that goes on around here. Like in the Marigold thread where she got called a sociopath for not being aware of other's feelings, or like the general perception that Dora is an avatar of Echidna, or the calling Faye a soul-killing parasite, or the running line of how Marten is going to explode and THEY WILL HAVE IT COMING ALL OF THEM.

I mean, a lot of the time things are being used for humor, and are entirely artifice. I have a feeling much of Veronica's embarrassing behavior was supposed to be taken in a lighthearted, funny manner, and only now are we anywhere near Serious Business. Not everything is a federal fucking issue, guys.

Addendum: Please don't think I'm trying to tell you what to discuss or how to think; if you want to have novella-posts about how awful V is as a mom, you go right on and do it, no one can stop you but hodges. I just think the acrimony levels here get really high over the silliest bullshit, and we could all stand to settle down in here.

I'm actually wracking my brain trying to figure out what people would think were good things for Mom to do, pre cracking the whip (this comic). I mean, all things considered, she's been balancing kindly mom with 'my boy is an adult' really well up until Marten's snarky horseshit set her off just now.
« Last Edit: 07 Jan 2011, 04:15 by Dr. ROFLPWN »
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #295 on: 07 Jan 2011, 04:44 »

I highly doubt we'll be seeing any Marten Rage, not at his mother anyway. Not when he cowers at a verbal smackdown in response to a bit of snark. He'll NEVER let himself go off on his Mom THAT way.

More likely he'll just wait 'till she leaves and get wasted again.
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

AngryCallCenterAgent

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • "I can't believe it! I'm doing a Shrek!"
    • I'm such a Twit.
« Reply #296 on: 07 Jan 2011, 04:58 »

BEST. MIDDLE NAME. EVER.

And I only voted for waffles because I know they're Belgian.
"This is the Tech Support! Step away from the complex and delicate electronic equipment! NOW!"

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #297 on: 07 Jan 2011, 05:16 »

I thought waffles was a euphemism for sex  :? :-o :|
Ugh. :oops:

Can you please stop trying to kill waffles as a food for me ? :-o

I'm beginning to get the feeling that as readers, we aren't supposed to be sympathising with Marten. :/
I'm pretty sure we're supposed to make up our own mind about the comic. :wink:
Carpe Diem

Destenoth

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #298 on: 07 Jan 2011, 05:33 »

I've been drawn out of lurking cause I wanted to draw attention to something that irks me; the timing of Veronica's trip to visit Dora. A couple of people have mentioned it not being cool that she did it behind Marten's back, but I find it more irritating that she did it in the middle of a dinner she was having with him and his friends. The fact that she bears Dora no ill will and wants to reassure her and offer her condolences is fine, but couldn't she have waited till tomorrow, instead of leaving Marten at a restaurant to go do it? True, she didn't leave him completely alone or anything, but still not cool.

As for her little parental discipline outburst, I really don't know what on earth is going on there. :psyduck: Seriously messed up, in my opinion. The stuff that's come before could be what Marten needs (I'm young and inexperienced, so I'm unwilling to commit myself to a position on that as of yet), but this is just dodgy.

Also, my first poll! :-D

I wanted to vote for Waffles, but I think Pintsize is more likely. Though I suppose it depends. If, by the time Veronica leaves, things have been sorted out and Marten is on the mend, maybe there won't be Pintsize. But if Veronica leaves while Marten is still down, I wouldn't put it past Jeph to hit him with another dose of robotic douchebaggery.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #299 on: 07 Jan 2011, 05:37 »

Certainly when a character acts in a way people don't like they're going to comment on it, but it would be cool if we could, you know, tone down some of the hyperbole that goes on around here.

Of course, one aspect of this is the wide range of people's experiences and experience.  Some people haven't yet fully learnt to understand that their reaction is not the only possible or even sensible one.  As this forum includes contributors ranging from angry teenagers to experienced parents, I am inclined to be indulgent to extreme views - given that the discussion that results may be usefully educational as well as (hopefully) interesting.  Of course, a certain degree of respect in language is expected, which is why that thread got locked a few hours ago - even then I hesitated, because I could see a valid discussion of an extreme view possibly coming from it.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up