THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 06 May 2024, 20:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What else doesn't Veronica realize?

She doesn't have her hair up in a ponytail.
- 6 (6.8%)
Black really clashes with her eyes.
- 2 (2.3%)
That wasn't Splenda she put in her coffee.
- 4 (4.5%)
She got an extra ear piercing since yesterday.
- 5 (5.7%)
Faye has a scar on her right boob.
- 9 (10.2%)
Dora's hair was purple.
- 8 (9.1%)
She doesn't really need glasses.
- 5 (5.7%)
Pintsize has her entire BDSM collection uploaded into his memory.
- 24 (27.3%)
That WASN'T Kirk, but his brother Leeeeroooyyyy Jenkkinnnnsss!!!!
- 8 (9.1%)
Waffles taste better with chicken.
- 17 (19.3%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WDCT 10-14 January 2011 (1836-1840)  (Read 95663 times)

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
Re: WDCT 10-14 January 2011 (1836-1840)
« Reply #150 on: 11 Jan 2011, 23:43 »

B. Marigold. Cue massive awkwardness, especially from Momo. Plus, Sven might be impressed by Marbear's mastery of WoW.
Uh, from what I heard, he could also try any not retarded 4 year old and be impressed by their "mastery of WoW".

At least thats what the MMO forums complain about, that WoW only gets even easier with every expansion.

Myself, I never played WoW, so I wouldnt know firsthand.
Carpe Diem

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet
« Reply #151 on: 11 Jan 2011, 23:50 »

"On January 11, Sven Bianchi was asked to remove himself from his place of residence. That request came from his sister. Deep down, he knew she was right, but he also knew that someday, he would return to her (since she had all his Pavement CD's). With nowhere else to go, he appeared at the home of his friend, Marten Reed. Sometime earlier, Reed's girlfriend had left him - ironically, the same woman who kicked Bianchi out of his own house. Can two scorned men share an apartment without driving each other crazy?"

(Cue theme from "The Odd Couple")

I nearly panicked for a moment at the mere possibility that something like this might happen...before remembering that Faye lives there too, so it'll never happen.

Don't  do  that...  :-P
Three's Company, then.

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #152 on: 11 Jan 2011, 23:52 »

B. Marigold. Cue massive awkwardness, especially from Momo. Plus, Sven might be impressed by Marbear's mastery of WoW.
Uh, from what I heard, he could also try any not retarded 4 year old and be impressed by their "mastery of WoW".

At least thats what the MMO forums complain about, that WoW only gets even easier with every expansion.

Myself, I never played WoW, so I wouldnt know firsthand.

I play WoW, my own comments are thus

If I can't do it and my friends can't either then it's too difficult
If I can do it and only I and a few of my peers can do it it's fine and we're incredibly skilled, etc.
If anyone can do it with enough practice, studying online guides, following number crunch spreadsheets, downloading addons to provide extra aid and info, then suddenly we don't feel as special anymore and thus it's 'too easy'

Sorry, just felt a need to make that comment as it irritates the ever loving CRAP out of me.
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #153 on: 12 Jan 2011, 00:04 »

"On January 11, Sven Bianchi was asked to remove himself from his place of residence. That request came from his sister. Deep down, he knew she was right, but he also knew that someday, he would return to her (since she had all his Pavement CD's). With nowhere else to go, he appeared at the home of his friend, Marten Reed. Sometime earlier, Reed's girlfriend had left him - ironically, the same woman who kicked Bianchi out of his own house. Can two scorned men share an apartment without driving each other crazy?"

(Cue theme from "The Odd Couple")

I nearly panicked for a moment at the mere possibility that something like this might happen...before remembering that Faye lives there too, so it'll never happen.

Don't  do  that...  :-P
Three's Company, then.

"Come and knock on our door..."
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #154 on: 12 Jan 2011, 00:04 »

[1838] One in the eye for the old generation of shippers, I guess!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

LordVaughn

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Now in grape flavor!
« Reply #155 on: 12 Jan 2011, 00:06 »

>_> Veronica's been hitting plenty of nerves with sniper-like precision lately.... and at least one of the shots was when Sven pulled the trigger.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #156 on: 12 Jan 2011, 00:07 »

"You and Marten? That'd been a NIGHTMARE!"

This confirms it: Veronica may be good with cuffs and bondage, but she has no control over whatever comes out of her mouth.

Nor does she have much tact, either.
Just another Joe like 46

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #157 on: 12 Jan 2011, 00:09 »

I....I don't know what to think.  :|

Except that I'm pretty sure I no longer like Veronica.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #158 on: 12 Jan 2011, 00:12 »

Cump?

Skrzzt    - 4 (4.9%)
Flarzit    - 1 (1.2%)
Marm?    - 5 (6.1%)
Cump.    - 51 (62.2%)
Blrzgh?    - 4 (4.9%)
Grfftx    - 3 (3.7%)
Mrgldzx    - 2 (2.4%)
Vlrdzxgh    - 2 (2.4%)
Wrflze?    - 8 (9.8%)
Yrzt    - 2 (2.4%)

Total Voters: 82
Just another Joe like 46

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #159 on: 12 Jan 2011, 00:15 »

I ... Still wanna like the lady. But damn, woman. blunt instruments, much?

Holding out hope this is some sort of weird reverse psychology for the benefit not only of the Pugnacious Peach, but of our hero we assume is emerging from the shower offpanel.

Not in Winkerbean territory yet, but you can see it from here.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Tabfan

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #160 on: 12 Jan 2011, 00:16 »

This is starting to remind me of the whole de-marriaging from Spider-man, specifically how Marvel just can't leave it be and keep poking at it.  If Marten and Faye aren't going to be a couple, can we just move on already?  There's gotta be more interesting avenues of plot development for the characters out there.
"Sham-bam-bamina."  Davis the Gray from Sockbaby

CEOIII

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #161 on: 12 Jan 2011, 00:16 »

So, she spends one whole day pounding Marten in the ass (in the figurative sense, you pervs), now it's Faye's turn.

Seriously, the arc after this better be "Marten's dad and his hubby visit and ACTUALLY FUCKING HELP HIM". If the plan for this arc was for all of us who read this comic to want Miss Vance beaten to death with a brick, then gangraped by the 72 Dolphins, permit me to be the first to say Mission Accomplished.
Between HannErsatz and PseuDora, I crown you the king of doppelganger names.
ALL HAIL THE KING OF DOPPLEGANGER NAMES!
I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.

Kazukagii

• Furry furrier
  • I seem to be lost
« Reply #162 on: 12 Jan 2011, 00:16 »

I'll just relax over here on my little yacht, eat popcorn and watch the incoming shipping battles a few nautical miles away. Anybody else anticipating a shit storm incoming and wanting to watch from the sidelines, you're more than welcome to join me. Beer's in the fridge, extra chairs in the closet below deck.

Oh Jeph there are some nights I love you. This is one of those nights.  :evil:
I had something witty to put down here but.....

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet
« Reply #163 on: 12 Jan 2011, 00:20 »

However much she's heard (and seen in this and the previous visit), I don't see how she can make that kind of judgment about Faye.

So what does she think about Marten's issues that would lead her to that conclusion?

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #164 on: 12 Jan 2011, 00:21 »

Re Marten's Mom: Bitch be crazy!

But the question is, is she actually crazy, or crazy like a fox, like Jack Sparrow crazy?
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

foolsguinea

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #165 on: 12 Jan 2011, 00:22 »

[1838] One in the eye for the old generation of shippers, I guess!
I laughed, I cheered, I made nerdy hand gestures of glee.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #166 on: 12 Jan 2011, 00:22 »

OMG NO WAY!!!!
OMG NO WAY!!!!
OMG NO WAY!!!!
OMG NO WAY!!!!
OMG NO WAY!!!!
OMG NO WAY!!!!
OMG NO WAY!!!!
OMG NO WAY!!!!

:-D

Btw, I love Fayes sad expression.

Why cant I choose "Hanners" in todays poll ?

There must always be Hanners !!!

However much she's heard (and seen in this and the previous visit), I don't see how she can make that kind of judgment about Faye.

So what does she think about Marten's issues that would lead her to that conclusion?
You tell me, I have no clue ...

« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2011, 00:27 by snubnose »
Carpe Diem

redragon5000

• Plantmonster
« Reply #167 on: 12 Jan 2011, 00:28 »

And the Miss Reed train just keeps on going.  :-P

electricumbrellas

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #168 on: 12 Jan 2011, 00:31 »

I actually laughed aloud at the last panel. Faye's expression was heartbreakingly hilarious. And I'm still on the fence on whether or not I like her or not. There has to be more to what she's doing.
"What kind of lame power is Heart, anyway?"

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #169 on: 12 Jan 2011, 00:34 »

Holy shit!

Ok, I love Veronica and all, but Jesus…there’s ‘being blunt’ and being ‘a damn wrecking ball’…
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

leahneedsanap

• Plantmonster
« Reply #170 on: 12 Jan 2011, 00:36 »

I actually didn't think this was that bad--but then again, that's with the perspective of how far Faye's come since then, and I'm not sure how much Ms. Reed knows about that.  But I dunno, I've had lots of male friends with whom I have at some point had some sort of romantic and/or sexual tension that we ultimately decided not to pursue, and looking back I am like, "good call, that would have been a terrible idea."  How I'd feel about those friends' moms saying that, especially when we were still friends and she had been using him as a punching bag lately (and hey, isn't that MY job?) I don't know.  Ironically, Faye's personal growth has put her well outside Marten's lady comfort zone, if Dora and his mom are any indication--she's gone from using domination to bulldoze over the idea that she has any personal vulnerabilities or flaws, to confronting those things head-on and address them like a grown-up, learning to be a much more supportive friend in the process.  Yeah, she just punched Marten during his Drunken Madness, but he was really and truly beyond any line of appropriateness, and she then made a decision for her own reasons to chalk it up to pain and alcohol and not make him keep paying for it later.  Can you imagine Faye doing that the last time Marten's mom was here?  Some will say that growth has put her outside of the realm of women Marten would be attracted to, some will say that to break that cycle is precisely what he needs and new-and-improved Faye would actually be a great mate for him--only now, she's way out of his league in the other direction.  I would more say they are now just extremely platonically compatible, but the sparks have fizzled, and the relationship is just different.  Part of the reason they CAN have the relationship they do, of such deep trust and honesty, is in part BECAUSE they aren't dating, aren't really attracted to each other anymore, and a romantic relationship is not even a distant possibility, taking a big scary thing that threatens Faye's boundaries off the table and enabling her to break other intimacy walls.

TL;DR: Ms Reed is rude.  Faye is a big girl, she can handle it.

Swedish Chef

• Plantmonster
  • Lurk lurk lurk!
« Reply #171 on: 12 Jan 2011, 00:36 »

Ms Reed is dressed like a Sith lord...

It all make sense now!.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #172 on: 12 Jan 2011, 00:38 »

There has to be more to what she's doing.

Not necessarily.  My own mother is incredibly  tactless with the spouses of all of her boys.  

And we're never there to hear it, either.  

Some people are simply amazing that way...

Kazukagii, I hope you have a lot  of beer on that boat!  I'm gonna need it...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #173 on: 12 Jan 2011, 00:47 »

Ok, I love Veronica and all, but Jesus…there’s ‘being blunt’ and being ‘a damn wrecking ball’…
Yeah, but this has been her style since she first appeared in the comic. And remember the pink "Pretty Princess" tee-shirt she sent Marten?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #174 on: 12 Jan 2011, 00:52 »

Part of the reason they CAN have the relationship they do, of such deep trust and honesty, is in part BECAUSE they aren't dating, aren't really attracted to each other anymore, and a romantic relationship is not even a distant possibility, taking a big scary thing that threatens Faye's boundaries off the table and enabling her to break other intimacy walls.

Actually, even without Faye's personal growth, I think Ms. Reed's being honest here.  They really wouldn't have been good together.  Much of what leahneedsanap says about the development of the relationship is true, and it wouldn't have happened if they'd gotten romantically involved, but aside from that Faye doesn't strike me as the type of woman Marten needs (neither did Dora, but she was a lot closer).  

The boy has little, if any, self esteem.  He needs someone who would be able to make him feel better about himself, someone to encourage him to follow a dream or two, not just give him punches or free muffins/sex.  I think this may be why people like the idea of Hanners with Marten, such ego boosting fluffing enhancement is part of her nature.  

Well, he could always try onliine dating...

after a reasonable hiatus, of course!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #175 on: 12 Jan 2011, 01:14 »

... the Pugnacious Peach
Magnificent. This should be the new name for Faye.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

akronnick

• I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #176 on: 12 Jan 2011, 01:16 »

The boy has little, if any, self esteem.  He needs someone who would be able to make him feel better about himself, someone to encourage him to follow a dream or two, not just give him punches or free muffins/sex.  I think this may be why people like the idea of Hanners with Marten, such ego boosting fluffing enhancement is part of her nature.  

In light of that sentiment, the idea of Marten and Marigold getting together kind of makes some kind of logical sense.

Marten is very sensitive and would treat Marigold with respect and affection, and Marigold, unlike Hanners, has expressed both an interest and a desire for physical intimacy.

They would probably be good for one another.

Marten would help Marigold see the beauty in herself, and Marigold would not walk all over Marten, as certain other persons, who shall remain nameless, have done in the past.

I don't think they would ultimately stay together forever, but they would each gain valuable experience from the relationship.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #177 on: 12 Jan 2011, 01:24 »

Um, not really. No hood. And more importantly, no disfiguration. Finally, no red lightsaber either.
Carpe Diem

Delator

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • In my own little world
« Reply #178 on: 12 Jan 2011, 01:27 »

I thought, at some moments, that maybe...maybe...Veronica was using a scalpel of insensitivity and rudeness to pierce Marten's shell and expose the gooey, angsty center.

Now I know it's not a scalpel. It's a battleaxe...and she's swinging wildly at anything that moves.

I'll echo other sentiments...I can't wait for Veronica to get on that plane and go home. This comic hasn't been enjoyable to read since she arrived. (One dinosaur related image notwithstanding)
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2011, 01:33 by Delator »
No, I will never settle on a particular avatar.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #179 on: 12 Jan 2011, 01:29 »

double-take

Did Martenmom really say that she'd been polite?!

Maybe the fear that Faye and Marten would be a bad couple is what motivated the Bosch threat.

Now we understand more completely why Marten said in strip 48 that his parents drive him crazy.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.
« Reply #180 on: 12 Jan 2011, 01:32 »

Oh God Faye's face is fucking priiiiiiiceless last panel.

And probably unsurprisingly, I love Veronica all over again tonight. Fantastically done, Jeph.

Actually I was trying to place her outfit and now it kind of clicks. She could totally rock a red lightsaber. Or Force lightning.

"You will pay the price for your lack of vision!"

(insert inevitable joke about Veronica's career)

In light of that sentiment, the idea of Marten and Marigold getting together kind of makes some kind of logical sense.

Marten is very sensitive and would treat Marigold with respect and affection, and Marigold, unlike Hanners, has expressed both an interest and a desire for physical intimacy.

They would probably be good for one another.

Marten would help Marigold see the beauty in herself, and Marigold would not walk all over Marten, as certain other persons, who shall remain nameless, have done in the past.

I don't think they would ultimately stay together forever, but they would each gain valuable experience from the relationship.

...Actually, put that way, yeah that pairing makes some sense. Just...none of their interactions so far have indicated anything like interest or even cognizance. But who knows? I certainly wouldn't mind if Jeph went that way, Marbear deserves a break.
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2011, 01:39 by Dr. ROFLPWN »
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

The Seldom Killer

• More witless shite ----->
« Reply #181 on: 12 Jan 2011, 01:37 »

Never regret the silliness - it is what separates us from the (insert name of something non-silly here)

The moderators is the most likely guess.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #182 on: 12 Jan 2011, 01:49 »

I did not include Hanners in the poll because she already did her part to tick her off in the intros (THIS is the gal you were talking about? She seems normal to me!).
Just another Joe like 46

ZERO

• Plantmonster
« Reply #183 on: 12 Jan 2011, 02:06 »

This is starting to remind me of the whole de-marriaging from Spider-man, specifically how Marvel just can't leave it be and keep poking at it. 

Don't get me started.

westrim

« Reply #184 on: 12 Jan 2011, 02:15 »

It amuses me when someone expects a shitstorm, that, by virtue of being expected, never drops its load. :angel:

But really Jeph, most of those who support Marten and Faye do so because it was the first pairing in the strip, and you teased us with it for 550 strips (there were odds and ends after The Talk). We get the point, they'll never be together. Any anger over such a statement is now just slight disgruntlement at our OTP being trodden upon. Because these characters will never change, after all. Marten will never stand up for himself against female abuse. Faye will never get therapy for her major issues (oh wait). Everyone will stay exactly the same. Especially Veronica Reed, who will come back during her son's time of crisis and and act as she did on her first visit, but with an exponentially larger amount of embarrassing and behind his back actions. Except me, because I just realized I'm sounding pretty passive aggressive and I don't recall having that habit before.  :?

*Coughs* Anyway, the point is that we've gotten the point 4 or five times now that Marten and Faye will never be together in comic- not a month from now, not a year from now, not ever, because they will never change dangit! You don't have to repeat that point every few months; we get the point. You don't have to repeat that every few words. We get it.

So please, stop hammering the point home, get Veronica out of there before she says anything else that would be fine normally but extremely off when her son broke up from a committed relationship 3 days ago, and let's get on with the stories Angus and Faye. Sven and his introspection. Marigold and that Alliance scum. Marten at work. Marten and Hannelore. The coffeeshop. WhereisStevenow.jpg And so on. The breakup with Dora was tough but necessary, but this momvisits! arc has just been painful.

...You know, I only meant to write the first sentences, in an even shorter form than they are. How did I write three paragraphs? :psyduck:  But at least I didn't get annoyed, I'm still doing well on that. Now about this passive aggressive thing...
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2011, 02:32 by westrim »

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #185 on: 12 Jan 2011, 02:17 »

Funny, it just now occurs to me that Martens Mom might simply be messing with Faye.

If she does, she is the grandmaster to keeping a straight face.

I'll echo other sentiments...I can't wait for Veronica to get on that plane and go home. This comic hasn't been enjoyable to read since she arrived. (One dinosaur related image notwithstanding)
Weird. I rarely had so much fun with QC than with Veronica.

Especially the first two comics were boundless fun - "I had a happy life, its ok if I get into prison for killing Dora" and "Oh look that waitress is beautiful, why dont you pick her ?".
Carpe Diem

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #186 on: 12 Jan 2011, 02:23 »

It amuses me when someone expects a shitstorm, that, by virtue of being expected, never drops its load.

Is your memory that short?  Jeph's lived with shitstorms from time to time for years, and it will take more than a few weeks for him to trust that it has changed.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #187 on: 12 Jan 2011, 02:25 »

Sudden thought. Did Hieronymus Bosch do any paintings set in apartment kitchens?

"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #188 on: 12 Jan 2011, 02:32 »

but this momvisits! arc has just been painful.

Really, because I'm loving this. The awkwardness, the tenterhooks of where it's going to go next, it's so delicious. I'm not saying I want it to go on forever, but it's as tasty as a big meal at a curry house and I'm hoping we haven't been handed the hot towels yet.

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.
« Reply #189 on: 12 Jan 2011, 02:35 »

Quote from: snubnose link=topic=25915.msg1001203#msg1001203
Weird. I rarely had so much fun with QC than with Veronica.

Especially the first two comics were boundless fun - "I had a happy life, its ok if I get into prison for killing Dora" and "Oh look that waitress is beautiful, why dont you pick her ?".

I am right there with you, and I also loved the Sven-Veronica bit! There was so much subtlety there, the punchline was just the icing on the cake. Jeph really does faces well now!

but this momvisits! arc has just been painful.

Really, because I'm loving this. The awkwardness, the tenterhooks of where it's going to go next, it's so delicious. I'm not saying I want it to go on forever, but it's as tasty as a big meal at a curry house and I'm hoping we haven't been handed the hot towels yet.

Delicious schadenfreude curry. You know you shouldn't eat so much, but....
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

westrim

« Reply #190 on: 12 Jan 2011, 02:42 »

derp missed point herp  -- Jeph's lived with shitstorms from time to time for years, and it will take more than a few weeks for him to trust that it has changed.
That was my point. He comes on so strongly worrying about it that it's bound won't happen. Plus, I think the trolls have mostly cleared out since that big Kablooey a few weeks ago. There certainly wasn't much trouble the last two weeks, when people were more upset instead of resigned over Martenmom's behavior.

And I'd be happy to dig in, if the butt of all of it wasn't a guy who just lost his girlfriend two days ago, and she wasn't his mother who allegedly came to help him out. Most of what I have to say is in the thread for last week, I don't feel like restating it/ digging through it. I've never been one for relishing another's pain, basically.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #191 on: 12 Jan 2011, 02:44 »

I'm suddenly getting this feeling of not "overprotective mother" but "WAY over the top mother".

Or perhaps she's just trying to be "The Agent".
Just another Joe like 46

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #192 on: 12 Jan 2011, 02:56 »

I've never been one for relishing another's pain, basically.

I can understand that but I've long been of the opinion that Marten isn't real. Harsh, but I suspect also fair. If you want further confirmation that I'm a bad person, I also laugh at Itchy and Scratchy.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #193 on: 12 Jan 2011, 03:08 »

AH! We have FOUND the issue at hand!

Veronica is probably LOVING all this.
Just another Joe like 46

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #194 on: 12 Jan 2011, 03:20 »

Well, you know how the expression goes: Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

westrim

« Reply #195 on: 12 Jan 2011, 03:35 »

I can understand that but I've long been of the opinion that Marten isn't real. Harsh, but I suspect also fair. If you want further confirmation that I'm a bad person, I also ignore what people are saying and pick the one thing I can make fun of for the heck of it.
Good job, you found the issue: I cannot distinguish fiction from reality!

Or you're a twit, who's intentionally misinterpreting my point to be a twit.  One of the two.

Because I feel like elaborating, he's not real, but he's supposed to be empathetic. Itchy and Scratchy aren't. Thus, those of you with, y'know, souls, get uncomfortable when pretty much the single person one would expect to help him is instead embarrassing him at every turn and meddling in his interpersonal connections. Nearly everyone else, Pintsize? Sure, I'd laugh. but not when it's his mom that Goddammit, I add one final point and that's all you focus on. Way to keep the conversation focused on the story, instead of snarking at fellow forumgoers for your own amusement. Stop acting like a troll.

AH! We have FOUND the issue at hand!
Veronica is probably LOVING all this.
I'd hope that she sets aside being a dominatrix when her son is involved, so no.

Well, you know how the expression goes: Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die.
And it's back to tragedy when your mother jumps in and starts stabbing your broken corpse instead of helping you get out.
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2011, 03:47 by westrim »

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #196 on: 12 Jan 2011, 03:46 »

I suspect this is comedy for those who don't have relatives like this. 

I also suspect that there are very few of those here on the boards...

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #197 on: 12 Jan 2011, 03:47 »

Good job, you found the issue: I cannot distinguish fiction from reality!

Or you're a twit, who's intentionally misinterpreting my point to be a twit.  One of the two.

Because I feel like elaborating, he's not real, but he's supposed to be empathetic. Itchy and Scratchy aren't. Thus, those of you with, y'know, souls, get uncomfortable when pretty much the single person one would expect to help him is instead embarrassing him at every turn and meddling in his interpersonal connections. Nearly everyone else, Pintsize? Sure, I'd laugh. but not when it's his mom that. Dammit, go read the stuff from last week and stop being a jerk.

I need to go to sleep, because I think I'm responding to some trolling but I can't tell.

Really not trolling or suggesting that you can't distinguish reality from fiction, just that perhaps that you're taking the strip a little too seriously.

Although I'm prepared to accept that I should take it more seriously. Mind you, I'd never expect my parents to be the ones I depended on emotionally if I were in Marten's situation.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #198 on: 12 Jan 2011, 04:06 »

Only thing I can think of, legitimately, is that she's trying to guilt-trip Faye.
Just another Joe like 46

westrim

« Reply #199 on: 12 Jan 2011, 04:19 »

I suspect this is comedy for those who don't have relatives like this. 

I also suspect that there are very few of those here on the boards...
I don't think it's a personal thing. Mothers are supposed to be motherly; there's a reason that is a word, with the definition it does. When they aren't, and have made a previous appearance that did not identify them as unmotherly (that is, she was quite aware of what she said, joked around as though everyone was equal, defended her son's interests by intimidating Faye, otherwise indicating she was A Cool Mom), it's jarring. Everyone one else has acted according to the characterization we knew- Faye punched him, thus acting like Faye, Pintsize was Pintsize, etc. We don't know much about his mom other than she is his mom, so we expect her to act like... a mom. Which she did, with that full name thing outside the restaurant, but it wasn't context adjusted. Before she was funny and easygoing, which made sense because it was a fun and easygoing time in his life. Now it's not, and now it's jarring for her to still act like it's so.

Really not trolling or suggesting that you can't distinguish reality from fiction, just that perhaps that you're taking the strip a little too seriously.

Although I'm prepared to accept that I should take it more seriously. Mind you, I'd never expect my parents to be the ones I depended on emotionally if I were in Marten's situation.
I defend my opinions with vigor, but I hold them at a distance. If it seems like this is personal- well I'm tired, I'm not my best at objectivity right now. Again, reading what I said last week would help with that.

I wouldn't plan to depend on my parents either (though they're 75 miles away, not 3000 miles), but if one cared enough (and had the money to)  drop everything and flew over to see me the penultimate day after a major personal kerfuffle of mine, I'd expect them to act like I just had a major personal kerfuffle, not like it's been 6 months and I should stop moping and date that hot waitress. Tapability was funny the first time she visited; not this time.

*slaps self* Enough! I'm going to sleep, so I can be properly horrified at how into this I got in the morning later today.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up