THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 17 Jun 2024, 13:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blue Valentine  (Read 7416 times)

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
    • http://www.facebook.com/heyheyrabbit
Blue Valentine
« on: 14 Jan 2011, 23:50 »

I just saw this and I thought it was very, very excellent!
I am pretty self conscious of my movie reviewing capabilities (plus it is really late) but it is a total downer of a film in that way that is really, really enjoyable (maybe sort of like Eternal Sunshine but not as complex but in the way where you see a relationship begin really beautifully and just kind of go wrong... I'm sure there are a lot of movies where that happens but that was that I thought of for some reason).

Anyway, here is the trailer, which I also really enjoyed, simply on its own

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM0A_yg8XjU

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
Re: Blue Valentine
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2011, 00:16 »

well, i now have plans for valentines day this year
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
« Reply #2 on: 15 Jan 2011, 07:55 »

There were two teen girl squad type girls sitting behind me and my friends who were laughing at inappropriate parts of the film (like, there is definitely comic relief in it but they were just being dumb) and when it ended one of them was like, "ok, that was definitely not a romantic comedy," and booked it out of the theater.  I wanted to be like, "WAIT, STOP, I really want to know what kind of fucked up, stupid digest you have of the past hour and a half or so of our lives!!!!"

Graphite

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • the final frontier?!
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2011, 09:45 »

I saw it and it was fucking extraordinary, but in the worst way - like, it was an incredible portrait of two characters and it was extraordinarily open to interpretation from many sides, but I was on the verge of leaving the entire time because it almost hurt too much to watch. Going to see it alone was a mistake. Probably that feeling peaked during the hotel room scene after the dinner, because at that point my brain was not just uncomfortable but screaming for them to stop ever being in the same room together just to make that scene stop, but it was near-constant.
You should see it, but don't expect to be functional for the next two hours.

Also a writer I follow on facebook wrote on his page that he saw a couple of people leave the cinema indignant during the oral sex scene, which was insane to me because that was the only joyful and fully enthusiastically consensual sex in the entire movie and that was the scene that made them angry? Really?
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2011, 09:51 by Graphite »

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jan 2011, 09:55 »

If there's anything that makes American moviegoers uncomfortable, it's women being given head. Blue Valentine got a lot of free publicity when it got an NC-17 rating based on that scene (the MPAA was later shamed / bum-rushed by Weinsteins into changing it to R). This Film is Not Yet Rated has a section devoted to that sort of ratings disparity.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
« Reply #5 on: 23 Jan 2011, 20:43 »

I like that you brought up that it was open to interpretation!  They give the viewer very little to go on as to what is wrong with the relationship, and while watching the movie I felt as though Ryan Gosling's character was in the wrong, but my girlfriend disagreed and we had a pretty good discussion afterward.

I actually forgot that I had heard the movie was issued a NC-17 rating until you just brought it up.  For all the things that are allowed to let fly in some films, the MPAA sure did pick a weird fight with this relatively tame movie.  It still weirds me out how ok people are with violence, but, as stated above, people get really uncomfortable with consensual, loving, and (realistically) non-graphic oral sex scenes.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #6 on: 24 Jan 2011, 21:40 »

If there's anything that makes American moviegoers uncomfortable, it's women being given head. Blue Valentine got a lot of free publicity when it got an NC-17 rating based on that scene (the MPAA was later shamed / bum-rushed by Weinsteins into changing it to R). This Film is Not Yet Rated has a section devoted to that sort of ratings disparity.

whoa wait there's a serious cunnilingus scene in this flick and it's only rated R? there's a first time for everything
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #7 on: 24 Jan 2011, 22:02 »

There was also one in Boys Don't Cry, IIRC. And a brief 69 scene in A History of Violence.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #8 on: 24 Jan 2011, 22:47 »

And pretty obviously Black Swan.  Which also had some blood, broken bones, and Natalie Portman playing with herself. 

Le sigh, MPAA.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Graphite

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • the final frontier?!
« Reply #9 on: 25 Jan 2011, 03:08 »

I like that you brought up that it was open to interpretation!  They give the viewer very little to go on as to what is wrong with the relationship, and while watching the movie I felt as though Ryan Gosling's character was in the wrong, but my girlfriend disagreed and we had a pretty good discussion afterward.
A friend was asking me if she should see it with her boyfriend or not, and it made me think about how seeing this with a significant other and talking about it afterward can probably tell you some pretty valuable and useful things about your respective outlooks on behaviour within romantic relationships.

SPOILER AND INTERPRETATION AHEAD
For my part, I thought the union was doomed to begin with, because Michelle Williams' character seemed never to have really figured out what she wanted out of relationships from the beginning - when she talked about her sexual past, and when we saw her interact with her ex, and when we saw the relationship between her parents, it seemed like she had grown accustomed to being treated pretty roughly by men emotionally - plus, as we see in the scene with her boss, that fear that men only value her for her looks is lurking in the back of her mind, and I think she's afraid that that's all she can ever expect. So when Ryan Gosling's character came along and was really quite kind to her all of a sudden, was willing to throw himself into the relationship wholeheartedly and be quite giving, she saw in him the light of salvation. But she had never really thought through what she actually needed in a partner, and so wasn't really equipped to evaluate whether they were suited to each other in any way - she was just running toward the most love and joy she had been shown in a long time. Plus he had that whole noble troubadour thing going on with the music, and she found him very charming I think because he was an escape from her life of responsibility - med school, caring for her grandmother, being a good daughter to her parents - and he was just so chilled out and not putting pressure on her. So when the baby showed up, he looked like a haven.

But she didn't really know him well yet, and so the fundamental incompatibilities in what they wanted out of life hadn't surfaced yet - she hadn't yet discovered just how much it would disappoint her that she compromised her career goals to keep the child, and how much it would frustrate her that he never grew out of his irresponsible troubadour phase. So he's there trying to recapture the magic of their early relationship which was all carefree and honestly a little superficial - their meeting scene is right out of a romantic comedy, and their dancing on the street scene is so very indie flick, but there are no scenes in which you really feel like they're getting to know each other's minds. And she's just wishing he would grow up and get responsible, having finally discovered that that's something she finds important for herself, and wishing he could act as the grown up sometimes when parenting their daughter. It seemed like she felt she was getting older before her eyes, taking on all this responsibility, while he stayed perpetually silly and youthful (emotionally though not physically) and the gap between them just kept growing wider because he saw staying young as beautiful and she saw it as, well, childish. And his solution to problems is to throw more passion and youth and impetuousness at them, but each time he does that it reminds her more and more of how little they really have in common in terms of fundamental world view. Plus, he has a reckless streak that as a viewer terrified me a little - threatening to jump off the bridge if she didn't tell him her secret comes to mind - and that always made her a little uncomfortable but she also found it cute I think. But he never learned how to control it, nor did he ever learn that it wasn't his greatest weapon and way to solve problems, which is how you get the scene with him drunk at the clinic near the end.

Also, they aren't equipped to examine any of this themselves, because as we see in the scene where she tells him about seeing her ex at the bottle shop, they've just never learned to communicate well and they are both in the habit of sweeping emotionally challenging things under the rug, never to deal with them, allowing them to become sore spots, and because he reacts so volatilely to things in general, she has been repressing talking to him openly because the reactions tend to hurt so much, even if that's just him lashing out in pain because he's just trying to be a good husband and he has no idea what he's ever doing wrong.
END SPOILERS

tl;dr my hobby is analysing other people's relationships, can you tell?
« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2011, 03:11 by Graphite »

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
« Reply #10 on: 25 Jan 2011, 07:42 »

haha, yeah, seriously, that about covered it!  Very well put and pretty much a more elaborate and more well worded version of the discussion we had, ha.

And pretty obviously Black Swan.  Which also had some blood, broken bones, and Natalie Portman playing with herself. 
Le sigh, MPAA.
yeah but dude that was two hot chicks so it's cool, duh.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #11 on: 25 Jan 2011, 11:55 »

Le sigh, MPAA.

no i knew about that one, they have special guidelines when scenes are "laden with menace"
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #12 on: 25 Jan 2011, 13:47 »

So you can have an oral scene if it's menacing, but not a consensual one? That's silly.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #13 on: 25 Jan 2011, 15:27 »

Of course! Nobody want to actually encourage the children of America to have deviant sex! In a perfect world all movie sex would be strictly missionary position, and maximum attention would be given to post-coital depression. Actually to hell with it, let's get rid of movie sex altogether, after all there's more real-world money in IVF! In 20 years America could get rid of sex altogether and have a soaring IVF-based economy, if only those Hollywood Liberals would stop holding the country back with their pinko commie sex obsession.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #14 on: 25 Jan 2011, 16:19 »

In somewhat related news, the US version of Skins is shedding all of its sponsors. I would be okay with this because it is a lame show, but it is actually because it has sexually active teens in it.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK
Pages: [1]   Go Up