THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 May 2024, 13:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Simple question: Old Momo or New?

Old Momo-tan. Her old chassis is adorable!
- 14 (23%)
New chassis! She could become a regular cast member!
- 26 (42.6%)
She needs some more upgrades.
- 1 (1.6%)
New chassis - if only to tick off Pintsize
- 14 (23%)
MOAR TOASTERRRRR!!!
- 2 (3.3%)
Toaster - only because we like waffles.
- 4 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 22-26 August 2011 (1996-2000)  (Read 134609 times)

VonKleist

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • First I lol'd. But then I serious'd.
Re: WCDT 22-26 August 2011 (1996-2000)
« Reply #200 on: 24 Aug 2011, 06:33 »

Gah.. don't wanna be nitpicking like this, but wouldn't a robot body like that consume massive amounts of energy? Providing it doesn't run on some kind of atomic battery.

TheBiscuit

• Furry furrier
« Reply #201 on: 24 Aug 2011, 06:36 »

Also, what's with Charlotte / the last chassis design's hair?

I'm not 100% sure, but my first thought was that it is the hairstyle from Jude Law's character in the movie A.I.
That would certainly explain why my first thought was how odd that style looks on a fembot.

philharmonic

• Furry furrier
« Reply #202 on: 24 Aug 2011, 06:42 »

Hurray for naked waffles ! Somewhere on the other page someone mentioned Momo's Sven fantasy. Now I'm thinking that might work or perhaps a mix of that and Fartchan.
*was getting tired of that slug*

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #203 on: 24 Aug 2011, 06:43 »

Gah.. don't wanna be nitpicking like this, but wouldn't a robot body like that consume massive amounts of energy? Providing it doesn't run on some kind of atomic battery.

Processing power is no more than in the little robots, so the majority of that huge torso is battery storage and power recovery hardware so that unplugged operating time is maximized...

I have no idea what I'm talking about, but it sounds good.
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

stoutfiles

• BANNED
  • Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #204 on: 24 Aug 2011, 07:14 »

Processing power is no more than in the little robots, so the majority of that huge torso is battery storage and power recovery hardware so that unplugged operating time is maximized...

He probably means it would be extremely expensive to power the robot each day, unless we're assuming energy in the QC world is much cheaper.

mike837go

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Warning: Does NOT Play Well With Others
« Reply #205 on: 24 Aug 2011, 07:21 »

He probably means it would be extremely expensive to power the robot each day, unless we're assuming energy in the QC world is much cheaper.
Not only cheeper, but plentiful as well. Think of the energy available to the Vespabot? Or Pintsize's (now deactiveated) laser?
Thought for the day: At the grenade launcher range, do not yell “M-203, I choose you!”
                                                                                        -Skippy's List

bmac4417

« Reply #206 on: 24 Aug 2011, 07:22 »

Okay, so I figured out what the second sign (on the right) says:
"The Idoru HandMaiden Series
 Four Great AnthroPC Models
 Four Great Prices
 Ask a Sales Associate Today"

westrim

« Reply #207 on: 24 Aug 2011, 07:41 »

Being picky, I would have thought the personality was an aspect of the installed AI rather than the chassis.
She meant aesthetically. Cars have personality for example, whether it's a homey van or a lean mean sports car. A home can feel cramped or airy. A chassis can be bland and uninteresting. Tova explained it well too.

Either way you're disgressing because the argument is about who is the most famous AI and HAL 9000 definitely isnt it.
And you base that well supported analysis on... Seriously, don't use absolutes on a matter of opinion. Also, it's a discussion, not an argument.

Wait, didn't I promise myself a while back I'd stop reading your comments because you didn't put much thought into them? *Checks archive of my comments* No, but I sure have ridiculed you a lot for it. I should probably stop.

Is that a Transformer in the bottom right of the last panel? Is Charlotte's super-neat hair a shout-out to AI?
I just saw a wheel, and a hair style seems like a really vague way to make a reference.

She's gonna want the Number 8 model (comes with Tahmoh Penikett's phone number).

The toaster reference did it for me - my wife and I have been introducing our 12 year old to BSG....
Tell us how he reacts when someone gets airlocked (yes pedants, it's a verb now. Battlestar Galactica made it one).  :-P

My favorite solution would Marigold getting a chassis like she had in this comic. That one was really cute.

Oh, and I didn't get what "deluxe" was about either. I think its mostly because those tits are simply grossly oversized. Marigold already has the biggest size that is still looking natural and the "deluxe" model has like 2-3 times bigger ones. That's nothing that's still attractive.
No no, stopping now.

Something else comes to mind as well...
Actually, the first thing that I thought when I saw the toasters was Red Dwarf
i could have sworn the Brave Little Toaster was from the early 90's.

I can understand how Momo is done with the whole Japanese schoolgirl look, (not to mention the scary realities as to why that model is VERY popular). Regardless of her maturity the schoolgirl look hinders her efforts at being taken seriously, and while a Miko design may be cute, it wouldn't help her case. Then of course there is the question of gender, but I don't think Jeph will change that.
I don't think that she doesn't want to be a schoolgirl, she just doesn't want to be that particular character. Where did miko come in? I see no mention of Shinto shrine maidens.

That would certainly explain why my first thought was how odd that style looks on a fembot.
It's fine on a gynoid, it's just an old style that women today don't use. Darned if I know hair style names though- is it a bob?

They probably have induction coils in their butts and/or backs and better and safer batteries than we do. They probably have induction pads all over the place, like we should have (cue examples and images of things with wired power in the QC verse.)

Carl didn't mean that he didn't understand VonKliest, he meant that he wasn't sure his explanation worked. He understood the point: how do the human sized models stay active for extended periods of time, not how are they paid for. And it's not like energy is expensive for us.

I don't know how many times I looked it over before noticing the difference in bust size, but even if it was the first thing I noticed, it's a physical attribute so I'm not going to worry about it. It's not whether you notice it, it's whether you care. That's my enlightenment.

Oh damn, I'm doing my chain of responses thing again.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #208 on: 24 Aug 2011, 07:51 »

Y'know, Charlotte, that's not a smart thing to do when your co-worker still has the launch codes.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

kent_eh

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #209 on: 24 Aug 2011, 08:21 »

When I first saw the chassis beside red Robot, I thought of this:

It's clearly not the same, but I wonder what Momo would think of it?

Jedit

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #210 on: 24 Aug 2011, 08:21 »

I don't know what to make out of the fact that I noticed the most prominent difference between the regular and the de luxe models in the first panel only on my third reading. :psyduck:

If I were the memeing kind, this would be the point where I had some bad news for you.   :evil:

Honestly, I think Jeph missed a trick by there being any difference at all between the regular and deluxe chassis other than the expanded RAM [1] packs.  

[1] Random Access Mammary.

Warning - while you were typing 14 new replies have been posted. Empires have risen and fallen. New species have evolved, and they too have invented webcomics. You may wish to review your post.

Blackjoker

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #211 on: 24 Aug 2011, 08:29 »

I wonder if the launch codes are brought up during performance review or when evaluating employee bonuses?

I actually wonder how diverse the forms are for the anthroPCs and what bells and whistles they might have internally. I also vaguely wonder if there is a kaiju themed antrhopc body (I know Momo wouldn't want it most likely but I am still curious).
I strongly reccomend that we daily check our walrus slots to ensure that we are able to avoid walrus backup.

Throg

• will accordion for food
« Reply #212 on: 24 Aug 2011, 08:39 »

If there are essentially human-mimicking AI's out there, it would be totally possible for QC to go the Blade Runner/BSG route.  ANGUS IS A CYLON

SQUEEZE BOX

Outgrabe

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #213 on: 24 Aug 2011, 08:41 »

With respect to Charlotte's hair--am I the only one who thought of this?

Oh Rachael, maybe you just needed a few more practical jokes to find happiness.

(Edit) Also, I find it a little ironic that the "deluxe model" idoru is more or less Momo's head on Marigold's body--and both hate it on sight!  (Maybe they are creeped out by the notion of being mixed together in that way . . . )
« Last Edit: 24 Aug 2011, 08:56 by Outgrabe »

Xader

• Plantmonster
« Reply #214 on: 24 Aug 2011, 09:20 »

the Geth chassis!

For the love of God, choose the Geth chassis!!!  :lol:

« Last Edit: 24 Aug 2011, 09:23 by Xader »

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #215 on: 24 Aug 2011, 09:37 »

She's gonna want the Number 8 model (comes with Tahmoh Penikett's phone number).

The toaster reference did it for me - my wife and I have been introducing our 12 year old to BSG....
Tell us how he reacts when someone gets airlocked (yes pedants, it's a verb now. Battlestar Galactica made it one).  :-P

"He's dead now, isn't he?"

Explaining PTSD and its effects on Starbuck and Tigh was a lot more difficult.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #216 on: 24 Aug 2011, 11:14 »

Hannelore mentioned electricity costs as an issue when the Roomba family was living with her, so it's not negligible to the characters.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #217 on: 24 Aug 2011, 11:24 »

So, before, she was the AI in a Naval submarine. Now, she's a fembot sales-whore. So, she went from being full of seamen to being full of... Nevermind.

Jeff needs to have a Motoko Kusanagi model body in the background next.
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

westrim

« Reply #218 on: 24 Aug 2011, 12:00 »

But the Major is a human cyborg, not an AI, so if he did it would cause nerd rage.

Throg

• will accordion for food
« Reply #219 on: 24 Aug 2011, 12:17 »

But I thought the Major was entirely fabricated (from the opening credits of the original movie), and it's only her ghost that gets transferred from model to model.  It's the series (SAC and 2nd Gig) that establishes she's a cyborg, in that continuity anyway. 

</nerd cred>
SQUEEZE BOX

westrim

« Reply #220 on: 24 Aug 2011, 12:33 »

But I thought the Major was entirely fabricated (from the opening credits of the original movie), and it's only her ghost that gets transferred from model to model.  It's the series (SAC and 2nd Gig) that establishes she's a cyborg, in that continuity anyway.  

</nerd cred>
That's just her body (or shell) being manufactured. One of the reasons they suspected the Puppet Master had taken the cyborg body that was spontaneously manufactured and hit by the truck was because there were no organics in it. That's why her merger with the Puppet Master is of interest, because she's a human feeling more and more artificial, and it's an AI that feels more and more natural, so if they merge, what will be the result? The manga, the first continuity with the two movies being second and the tv series being third, also regularly refers to her as a cyborg (and most of the first movie is based off of the first volume). After that the second movie and the series take some stuff from the manga but rarely so directly base a plot on it again and go off in different directions, thus their establishment as three separate universes.

Is there some kind of professorial emoticon I can use? I guess I'll just throw on glasses. 8-)
« Last Edit: 24 Aug 2011, 12:39 by westrim »

soren121

• Not quite a lurker
  • Endless kawaii-fugue
    • My website
« Reply #221 on: 24 Aug 2011, 12:48 »

So, since they have humanoid AnthroPCs...can you use them as sex toys? Pintsize would probably try.

SirDudley

• Hope's Bright (Night)Light
« Reply #222 on: 24 Aug 2011, 13:16 »

Ah, shopping hijinks QC style. They never get old. I guess Jeph is spending time making Momo 2.0 something memorable.

Come to think of it, I think that's what Jeph is going to use #2000 for. The introduction of Momo 2.0 to the readers. Seriously, tomorrow will be Marigold and Momo picking out the upgrade, but we won't see it. Then #2000 will be the grand unveiling of the new chassis to everyone at CoD or something like that. Complete with Pintsize totally ruining the moment in his own personal style.
Disclaimer: Avatar image does not reflect user's true identity.

Roborat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #223 on: 24 Aug 2011, 13:38 »

Awww, I liked the Izumi-04 model, however I am also quite fond of the current chassis.  How about a Ping model?  And is the pintsize chassis the default, base model then?  One question, in the last panel, what happened to Marigold's purse? It was on her left shoulder, and at least the strap should be visible.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #224 on: 24 Aug 2011, 14:00 »

Heh, it's true. I didn't see that mistake before.

TheBiscuit

• Furry furrier
« Reply #225 on: 24 Aug 2011, 14:12 »

Ah, shopping hijinks QC style. They never get old. I guess Jeph is spending time making Momo 2.0 something memorable.

Come to think of it, I think that's what Jeph is going to use #2000 for. The introduction of Momo 2.0 to the readers. Seriously, tomorrow will be Marigold and Momo picking out the upgrade, but we won't see it. Then #2000 will be the grand unveiling of the new chassis to everyone at CoD or something like that. Complete with Pintsize totally ruining the moment in his own personal style.
I can sort of imagine that... although honestly Marigold is a bit shy in groups to want to show it off to more than a couple of people at a time.

If they do go with this I hope that the punchline is how Momo 2.0 looks almost identical to the current version.

INB4Should'vebeenapointrelease.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #226 on: 24 Aug 2011, 14:38 »

Pintsize wants to be a sex toy: 396, 1602.

It's a logical extrapolation that some people in the QC world practice robosexuality, and that most other people would prefer to pretend they don't exist.

633 says that nobody's installed AI in Realdolls yet.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #227 on: 24 Aug 2011, 15:00 »

in the last panel, what happened to Marigold's purse? It was on her left shoulder, and at least the strap should be visible.

In the previous panel it's coming off her shoulder, and so I guess she's dropped it.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #228 on: 24 Aug 2011, 15:22 »

If we're going to be pedantic, I heard "airlock" used as a verb by my petrol-head cousins and their friends (wrt fuel-system usually) well before BSG 2.0 came out.

And how about Faye Williams and Marten Alenko?...
Wouldn't that mean one of them has to die?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

0kamisama

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Warning: Prone to Squee-gasms ♥
« Reply #229 on: 24 Aug 2011, 15:53 »

I am going to miss that kawaii little chassis if it goes.

I am hoping this arc will end with Momo realising she is happy just the way she is, after all. :)

たぶんだね. It could go either way, either with both Momo and Marigold just enjoying the thrill of shopping and browsing, or Momo winding up with some added height and possibly some extra... "memory storage drives".
I have no interest in ordinary humans...

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #230 on: 24 Aug 2011, 16:05 »

Well at least she keeps the Toasters amused.  Remember, bored Toasters turn feral and try to exterminate everyone.

I think Momo nixed the Izumi-04 'cause she is well aware of MariBear's Anime fixation.  It should be interesting to see what she ends up choosing in the end, or whether she decides to stay with her current chassis.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #231 on: 24 Aug 2011, 16:48 »

You also forgot 1812.

Out there question: Hanners still has boyfriendbot, right? Maybe Hanner's dad modifies boyfriendbot for Momo?

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.
« Reply #232 on: 24 Aug 2011, 17:07 »

The one next to Red Robot in panel 3 kind of reminded me of GLaDOS (from Portal), although I've just learned that it's from something else.
You know, they tell you, "Never hit a man with a closed fist," but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

Somebody

• Curry sauce
« Reply #233 on: 24 Aug 2011, 17:55 »

It's a logical extrapolation that some people in the QC world practice robosexuality, and that most other people would prefer to pretend they don't exist.
http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=428

Also, 611/612

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #234 on: 24 Aug 2011, 17:56 »

Well at least she keeps the Toasters amused.  Remember, bored Toasters turn feral and try to exterminate everyone.

So THAT explains it.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #235 on: 24 Aug 2011, 17:57 »

You also forgot 1812.

I think EVERYONE wants to forget 1812. ESPECIALLY Marten.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #236 on: 24 Aug 2011, 18:08 »

Do they call it 1812 because Pintsize made an overture to Marten?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Heliphyneau

• Mommy, why is a naked clown crying on our lawn?
« Reply #237 on: 24 Aug 2011, 18:38 »

I am going to miss that kawaii little chassis if it goes.

I am hoping this arc will end with Momo realising she is happy just the way she is, after all. :)

I'm with you on this.   :wink:  I like Momo's current chassis because it's cute and more detailed than Pintsize's and Winslow's, but on the other hand . . . I'm enjoying this shopping arc, and it could be cool to see what new look Momo might choose.  Either way, it's a win.

Also, maybe the larger models can hold storage -- the non-computer kind.  Bonus pocky dispenser?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Actually, I would posit that purple elephants do not contribute to the ruination of everything forever in any way.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #238 on: 24 Aug 2011, 18:46 »

Oh my. You win ... something.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #239 on: 24 Aug 2011, 18:50 »

A pocky dispenser that could follow you around and anticipate your needs ... Marigirl would think that was a great idea until Momo went on a health kick and began feeding her celery instead.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #240 on: 24 Aug 2011, 20:45 »

Better than eels, I suppose.
Also, looking at the poll, it occurs to me: DORA! DORA! DORA! should have been Strip 1941.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #241 on: 24 Aug 2011, 21:45 »

Charolette being kept in the "back by the toasters"...anyone else thinking she's a Cylon?
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

westrim

« Reply #242 on: 24 Aug 2011, 21:48 »

Better than eels, I suppose.
Also, looking at the poll, it occurs to me: DORA! DORA! DORA! should have been Strip 1941.
Don't think about it. A long while I ago I did that, and got to wondering if 76 should have had someone blow up like a volcano. Or 1812. Or 1884. Or- augh, it's infected me again!

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #243 on: 24 Aug 2011, 22:40 »

FTW.

I was thinking about that, too. Unfortunately the strip didn't come out on December 7th.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #244 on: 24 Aug 2011, 23:35 »

So THAT explains it.

Well, it's one frakin' explanation.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Swedish Chef

• Plantmonster
  • Lurk lurk lurk!
« Reply #245 on: 25 Aug 2011, 00:39 »

They ask for "more personality", and get one with a bigger rack-mount server? The only difference between the regular and the deluxe is the (ahem) buffer size?

If Pintsize is to be considered as norm; robots equates personality with huge...... tracks of lands.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #246 on: 25 Aug 2011, 00:57 »

I'm begginning to like Charlotte now.

I hope Jeph brings her into the regular cast!

Who woulda thunk that the healthiest most well-adjusted character in QC would be a robot!
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

westrim

« Reply #247 on: 25 Aug 2011, 00:57 »

They ask for "more personality", and get one with a bigger rack-mount server? The only difference between the regular and the deluxe is the (ahem) buffer size?
If Pintsize is to be considered as norm; robots equates personality with huge...... tracks of lands.
So ranchers must have lots of personality, and the US Government has the biggest personality of all!   :-D

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #248 on: 25 Aug 2011, 01:00 »

I like Charlotte.  She's fun loving, adventurous and, as far as we can tell, harmless.  I think she would have a positive influence on the gang.

{edit}I agree with you, akronnick.
Francisco

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #249 on: 25 Aug 2011, 01:02 »

A departure for Jeph, who said before that his AnthroPC strips tend to turn into human-oriented strips no matter how he starts them out.

Momo is consoling the toaster?

EDIT: If Leda and Charlotte get any more personality or history they will need wiki articles.
« Last Edit: 25 Aug 2011, 01:04 by Is it cold in here? »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up