THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 06 Jun 2024, 12:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 81   Go Down

Author Topic: The M/F Thread 2009: The Quickening  (Read 750183 times)

vickster

• Not quite a lurker
The M/F Thread 2009: The Quickening
« Reply #3800 on: 26 Nov 2009, 10:34 »

Rules:

No hot-linking images or albums. You can re-host images at http://imageshack.us.

Ensure your tags are correct and that you have specified both Artist/Album in your post.

Upload your files in either a .zip or a .rar archive to mediaf!re.com, in multiple parts if the album is over 100mbs. The reason for this is that we know mediaf!re is safe and efficient and allows multiple downloads. The ads on other sites, such as Sendspace, are known to contain viruses on the page. Get yourself checked out.

Post your link using code tags. It's the # icon above the policeman emoticon. This prevents the links from being traced back to the forums, lowering the chance that the wrong people notice the thread, potentially threatening Jeph with legal action.

Also, please do NOT request albums. This includes requests for re-uploads; if you miss it, try looking for it somewhere else.

Repost the rules at the top of each new page.

[/quote]

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #3801 on: 26 Nov 2009, 13:06 »

Yuuki Matthews - Music For Savage Tropical Imagery

I was given this for review by a radio station along with two other CDs from this series. Matthews' was the last of the three I reviewed, because he was the only one I hadn't heard of before (the other two were Helado Negro and Sufjan Stevens) It turned out this was the best of the three. Off-kilter melodies over thumping rhythms. I fell in love instantly. A really great record for listening. A++.

Quote from: Asthmatic Kitty
\\Asthmatic Kitty’s Library Catalog Music is a series of instrumental albums designed for possible use in films and television, background sounds for home or office, or personal needs, such as relaxation, stimulation, meditation, concentration, or elevation. For your listening pleasure, we asked a select group of talented artists to create a unique recording for this collection. Specific uses for the music is this series may include accompaniment to cooking, eating, sculpting, exercising, high stakes poker, soaking, panoramic landscapes, cuddling, car chases, drawing, knitting, bandaging, romance, playing chess, or planning the rest of your life, of which this is the first day.

Yuuki Matthews is a Seattle-based freelance musician and owner of 2 cats.  Originally from Hollywood (Burbank), California, Yuuki moved to the Northwest with his mother and brother in the mid-nineties.  He recorded the songs that make up Music for Savage Tropical Imagery at home between tours, odd jobs, and major milestone events.  With this record, Yuuki sought to expand upon the nostalgia of subtle sound degradation.

Code: [Select]
http://www.mediafire.com/?ymzlmmjy4ij
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3802 on: 26 Nov 2009, 13:36 »

a compilation CD of Guided By Voices best songs.

But it doesn't have "The Goldheart Mountaintop Queen Directory". Totally awesome otherwise, though.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #3803 on: 26 Nov 2009, 18:18 »

Hey, KvP what radiostation do you work for?
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

SWOON! at My Gravitas

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • om nom nom nom
« Reply #3804 on: 26 Nov 2009, 20:45 »

Oh man, that Grand Hallway album posted on the last page is so good.

pulpfiction21

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Pool Zombies
« Reply #3805 on: 26 Nov 2009, 21:18 »

Oh man, that Grand Hallway album posted on the last page is so good.

Agreed
Maybe I should eat my friend

gospel

• The German Chancellory building
  • the word
« Reply #3806 on: 26 Nov 2009, 21:57 »

The Penny Black Remedy – No One’s Fault But Your Own

MySpace
http://www.mediafire.com/?34yflxzdzzu

Pacific Ocean Fire – Hibernation Songs [2010]

MySpace
http://www.mediafire.com/?dynikyhtihe
The band split in September 2009 after performing their farewell gig at Camden Dingwalls supporting Drugstore. Their final album, Hibernation songs, is still due to be released on Azra Records

Trevor Tchir – Sky Locked Land

"Are We There Yet?" (YouTube)
MySpace
http://www.mediafire.com/?mkxezkmmg0i
If only it had the film version of "Statued" by Adem. Sigh.
Dead Man's Shoes Soundtrack

http://www.mediafire.com/?m1dzin0m1um
1. Smog - Vessel In Vain
2. Calexico - Untitled II
3. Calexico - Untitled III
4. Adem - Statued
5. Calexico - Ritual Road Map
6. Laurent Garnier - Forgotten Thoughts
7. The Earlies - Morning Wonder
8. Richard Hawley - Steel 2
9. Clayhill - Afterlight
10. Calexico - Crooked Road And The Briar
11. Lucky Dragons - Heartbreaker
12. Gravenhurst - The Diver
13. Cul De Sac - I Remember Nothing More
14. P.G. Six - The Fallen Leaves That Jewel The Ground
15. ABBC - Pluie Sans Nuages
16. Aphex Twin - Nanou 2
17. M. Ward - Dead Man
18. DM & Jemini - The Only One
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #3807 on: 27 Nov 2009, 00:18 »

Hey, KvP what radiostation do you work for?
KCSU!

The Black Dog - Further Vexations (2009)
Quote from: Flyglobalmusic.com
The Black Dog was formerly the trio of Ken Downie, Ed Handley and Andy Turner and over the past a couple of years, SOMA have released the first six Black Dog EPs as Book Of Dogma, Temple Of Transparent Balls and a couple of their best tracks on the Soma Coma Vol. 2 compilation.

The early works are musts for lovers of late eighties/early-nineties sci-fi-techno and since Ed and Andy left (to form Plaid), Ken was variously Black Dog with different line ups before teaming up Martin and Richard Dust (of Dust Science) to rave reviews for the album Radio Scarecrow release.

They say Further Vexations is their “attempt to capture and express our emotional frustrations, and the trials and tribulations of living in an un-democratic surveillance society…To say we are pissed off about it, would be an understatement”. Now you might expect that this would be an angry soundtrack off the back of that but it starts off quiet with ‘Biomantric L-If-E’ and ends with a gentle ambient Alice Coltrane inspired ‘Later Vexations’ and the multi-layered synths of ‘Kissing Someone Else’s D.O.G’.

The tracks ‘0093’ and ‘You’re Only SQL’ were released as 12” mixes on vinyl a couple of weeks ago and the original versions are highlights on the album; I vote ‘You’re Only SQL’ as title of the year so far? ‘We Are Haunted’ is also a club orientated track - perhaps The Black Dog dance their vexations away - and ‘Stempel’ and ‘CCTV Nation’ are positively techno dancefloor bangers!

‘Skin Clock’ and ‘Dada Mindstab’ are from the darker side, particularly ‘Dada Mindstab’ which is very Sheffield showing that there’s no fear of them losing touch with their electronic roots; ‘Tunnels Ov Set’ is the scary one from the steel foundry!

So it’s a bit like a mixtape for just over an hour with the 3-part ‘Northern Electronic Soul’ as it’s centre piece. At times it gets into full-on techno mode like their Detroit vs. Sheffield EP of last year (the Robert Hood remix of ‘Train By The Autobahn’ was one of last yeas’ best tracks, especially if you’re listening to it on a train)..

The extremely Limited Edition triple vinyl version will have all gone by the time you read this, (further vexations?) but the CD is required listening at home or club, from start to finish or selected favourite tracks; can I say dogs bollocks?
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?kitnvzdyigj

The Black Dog - Silenced (2005)
Quote from: TheMilkFactory
he Black Dog was originally the collaborative project of Ken Downie, Ed Handley and Andy Turner. The latter two already had released a handful underground releases as Plaid. The first notable appearance from the trio was on the original 1992 Artificial Intelligence compilation from Warp, followed a few months later by the seminal album Bytes. Presented as a compilation of artists, including Plaid, Xeper, Atypic. Balil or I.A.O, Bytes combined classic Detroit-infused techno sound with atmospheric electronic textures and complex rhythmic structures, at times clearly influenced by hip-hop. This debut album, which compiled a series of previous EPs, propelled The Black Dog right at the top of the burgeoning British electronica movement alongside other Warp stalwarts such as Autechre, B12 or LFO. A few months later, The Black Dog reappeared on GRP with their first album proper, Temple Of Transparent Balls, and confirmed the band’s position as one of the most visionary acts around. The last album released as a trio, Spanners, showed a more eclectic sound and approach as Downie, Handley and Turner expanded on their original electronic main frame.

With Turner and Handley gone to revive Plaid, Downie was left sole in charge of the Dog. The release of Music For Adverts (And Short Films), barely a few months after the split, signalled a tangible new direction for the project. Although the original techno and ambient elements still ran throughout this album, Downie appeared to leave the complexity of previous recordings behind and introduced a more immediate feel to his music. Followed sporadic EPs, including one with Israeli singer Ofra Haza, as well as countless remixes for artists as diverse as The Creatures, Marilyn Manson and Laurent Garnier.

Ken Downie, this time with Martin and Richard Dust as full time members, seemingly returns to the essence of the Black Dog sound and pretty much reinvent it in the process. If recent EPs Bite Thee Back and Trojan Horus appeared to explore a wide musical scope, from vintage techno to dark organic ambient, Silenced is a more focused affair. Developed over eighteen tracks in just under an hour, the running themes of this album are that of tortured soundscapes, dark back alleys electronica and intricate textures. Silenced snakes its way down the subconscious, infiltrates the mind and refuses to come out. Elements of old style acid and electro collide with more contemporary forms of electronica and occasional Middle Eastern influences to form an extremely dense and inspiring soundtrack. Often dark and threatening, the soundscapes presented here serve as stunning backdrops to gentle melodies, often developing over the course of a whole track.

The album opens with the two-parter Trojan Horus, which sets the mood for the rest of the record. While the first part is a rather straightforward slow-moving piece, part two introduces a more complex sonic structure, based on hip-hop beat and vocal samples. The album then appears to move within these boundaries, with Downie and the Dust brothers perfectly containing each track while developing it to full extend. Tracks such as Lam Vril, Alt/Return/Dash/Kill, Remote Viewing or Gummi Void are sumptuous compositions in the purest Black Dog tradition that also manage to sound extremely modern and fresh.

Silenced also revives the Black Dog tradition of having short, yet fully formed, interludes inserted in between longer tracks, especially referring to the Bolt series found on Spanners, with Bolt 23 Blue Screen Ov Death, Bolt 777 Ordinary Boy and Bolt 33 Glitch & Chin. Although lasting between thirty seven seconds and one minute and two seconds, these three tracks appear to articulate different sections of this album together, from the stern first section of this album to the more upbeat second part to the closing section, providing some additional textures to an already very consistent record.

With this first full-length outing for The Black Dog cuvée 2005, Ken Downie and Martin and Richard Dust have created an impressive collection of classic electronic moments. While not negating at any point previous work, they comfortably manage to bring the legendary sound of The Black Dog into the twenty-first century. The Dog is anything BUT silenced!
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?xml1mixemxm
« Last Edit: 27 Nov 2009, 00:39 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #3808 on: 27 Nov 2009, 00:23 »

The Devil and Abbe May – Hoodoo You Do

I love Abbe May! She is where I am from and also she is very good at the blues.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #3809 on: 27 Nov 2009, 00:39 »

Silkie - City Limits Volume 1

It's been awhile since I've heard a dubstep album that's really seized my ear - The last one was probably the Mako EP from Ital Tek, and that should probably tell you something about how I like my dubstep. The closer it hews to the jungle ragga sounds of Jamaica, the more dub there is in the dubstep, the less I seem to like it (although The Bug's "London Zoo" from last year, rootsy as it was, packed some incredible punch) so imagine my delight when I heard this album, which is very much in the same vein as Ital Tek, or Benga's looser cuts - "futuristic" is the best word to describe it, although I actually think the music here is often more compelling and dynamic than Ital Tek's icy robot jams - there's a considerable undercurrent of drum and bass to the production, as if Come On My Selector-era Squarepusher dropped most of his idiosyncracies and tried his hand at dubstep. The bass sound is considerable but the rest of the mix comes through like a bell. Maybe the best dubstep album I've heard yet.

Quote from: Pitchfork (8.2)
Dance music fans are likely familiar with the evolution of drum'n'bass from its breakbeat hardcore roots through the rhythmic upheaval of jungle and, eventually, into the washed-out, joyless navel-gazing it eventually fell into near the end of the 1990s before UK garage stole its spotlight. That was a lesson hard-learned, so it's understandable (and fortunate) that this decade's significant beat-driven innovations from the UK have gotten only less genteel with time. Compare an early dubstep classic like one of Horsepower Productions' plenty-heavy 2001 singles with some of the outlandish stuff Joker or Zomby have dropped this year, and you can hear what it means for a genre to jump from strength to strength, advancing without diluting. Moving up in this arena means you don't necessarily need to get more tasteful-- and if you do, you just offset it by getting brasher, too.

Evidence of this rarely comes clearer than it does on an album like Silkie's City Limits Volume 1. The London producer broke out big last year with a succession of singles, including the tellingly-titled "Jazz Dubstep", that blended fusiony sophistication with the archetypal shuddering bass wobbles and tightly-built drum patterns that accompanied the genre's mid-decade expansion. The 13 new tracks on City Limits (nine on the triple-12" edition) sound like a wider mission statement of that style, and that this album pulls it off without sounding like an exercise in mannered noodling is a cause for relief. The best moments on City Limits perfect a certain wide-ranging formula: ethereal, borderline-ambient synthesizer chords billow like fluffy airbrushed clouds over deep skank-motion rhythms, jittery breaks, or agitated melodies that keep them grounded in body-moving turf.

So while there's subtlety and refinement in the melodies-- like the fluorescent glow of the synths in "Turvy", or the ultra-smooth digital sax riff in "Beauty"-- the beats knock hard, trembling inside subwoofers and pushing back so heavily you're practically forced to hear every single note in a rhythmic context. At its rawest-- "Spark" and its waist-winding, rave-gone-skanking rhythm; the chattering, long-arm-swinging lope of "Sty"-- Silkie's productions sound a bit like Benga's wobbly, bristling aesthetic having Blade Runner visions. There are subtle nods towards breakbeat and jungle, too, like the choppy, pitched-up chirping vocal samples and Atari bomb-drops in "Quasar" that sound like they could've come from a 1994 Bay B Kane joint.

And even when it all gets pushed to extents as absurd as the eight-minute "Planet X"-- a deep churn of mousetrap percussion and tremulous, rubber-legged bass punctuated with '84-style funk flash on some Jam/Lewis business-- there's more than enough force in its beat to keep entropy at bay. Funny, then, that even with the knack for extended vamps exhibited on this album, the biggest highlight should also be the most succinct song on the record. The Mizz Beats collaboration "Purple Love", with its restless, stammering arpeggio bassline and thickly congealing waves of sweeping pads, is dubstep at its funkiest and most euphoric. It's almost doing City Limits Volume 1 a disservice to call it retrofuturism-- such a tendency has rarely sounded much less indebted to a caricatured past or a clichéd tomorrow. And it's good to know that even in the wake of a forward-thinking genre's continued commercial acceptance, it's still possible to keep pushing the limits-- wobbling without falling down.
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?yodmvwa5hyi
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #3810 on: 27 Nov 2009, 00:40 »

The closer it hews to the jungle ragga sounds of Jamaica, the more dub there is in the dubstep, the less I seem to like it

John is a white guy, pass it on
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #3811 on: 27 Nov 2009, 00:48 »

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?eey3drtmjzi
lana avacada. the full length, so this is all 14 songs. i just got a hold of it and updated it on the blog, figure i'd update it here too.

enjoy this guys this shit is so mathy and good.
\o/
awesome upload deserves a double high five
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

kwintpod

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #3812 on: 27 Nov 2009, 06:25 »

Heaven in Her Arms-Demo I

Forgot to post this during the Japan appreciation week. This is the first demo of the Japanese post-hardcore/screamo band Heaven in Her Arms, for anyone who loves Envy.
check
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?jmmmvqzjnuk
And their Ep from 2009
Heaven in Her Arms-Duplex-Coated Obstruction

check
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?l4wmjjvwy2m
« Last Edit: 29 Nov 2009, 06:33 by kwintpod »

pinkpiche

« Reply #3813 on: 27 Nov 2009, 11:31 »

oooh i had forgotten all about them! thanks so much!
« Last Edit: 27 Nov 2009, 11:36 by pinkpiche »
"Yeah, they're always biting my shit you know how that goes"

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #3814 on: 27 Nov 2009, 22:53 »

oh hey first download from this thrread in ages
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #3815 on: 27 Nov 2009, 23:45 »

That Negura Bunget album is sick, I got that a few years back.

yuss
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Tell me again what a monster is
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #3816 on: 28 Nov 2009, 08:13 »

Here's another good album that I got last year from the bargain bin of my local record store.

DinoSau - A Little Crime

myspace

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?myx2fmiymm4
DinoSau's a nice Norwegian electronica/pop band that uses a wide array of instruments--from the keyboards and drums seen with the band to a xaphoon and other quirky sounding noise makers.  I liked it a lot, especially considering it was $1

(ooh! 100th post, now I'm larger than most fish)
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #3817 on: 28 Nov 2009, 11:29 »

http://jaydiohead.com/

Not a mediafire link, but I felt this was the appropriate thread to post this in.

It's a CD of surprisingly good mixes of jay-z and radiohead songs.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #3818 on: 28 Nov 2009, 11:55 »

http://www.mediafire.com/?0jjziuyhjj5

Pretty sure that jaydiohead has been posted a couple times.
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #3819 on: 28 Nov 2009, 12:13 »

having searched for it: twice in fact.

Also, the search function seems to be working for me again. Awesome.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #3820 on: 28 Nov 2009, 14:29 »

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?eey3drtmjzi
lana avacada. the full length, so this is all 14 songs. i just got a hold of it and updated it on the blog, figure i'd update it here too.

enjoy this guys this shit is so mathy and good.
The 7th track isn't working for me

Mein Tumblr

pinkpiche

« Reply #3821 on: 28 Nov 2009, 16:38 »

Fuck! I cannot tell you how psyched I was about Space Jam when I was a little youngster... Shit!
"Yeah, they're always biting my shit you know how that goes"

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #3822 on: 28 Nov 2009, 17:40 »

Helado Negro - Music For Memory
This release has the same recognizable sound as Helado Negro's recent debut album Owe Awe, more specifically that album's midsection, which was mostly instrumental stuff. Fuzzy tape loops, sort of an abstract hip hop vibe, and the occasional gorgeous string interlude. My second favorite of the Library Catalog Music Series.

Quote from: Asthmatic Kitty
Roberto Carlos Lange (Helado Negro, Savath & Savalas) offers up his contribution to the Library Catalog Music Series. Music for Memory is like one giant crossfade going from one idea to the next in long rhythmic patterns. Its broken tape delays and found reel to reel tapes comprise the beats and the long drone music made from orchestrations that became re-assembled from short ideas to long ones.

1. Amazonian Pacific
2. Year One
3. Oranj con You
4. Abajo
5. Te Vamos A Buscar
6. So Men Te
7. Love 1
8. Love 3
9. Rain Dance
10. Mines
11. Love 4
12. Love 2

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?bzbgihomzzb
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

alli

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #3823 on: 28 Nov 2009, 20:45 »

Lights on the Highway - Amanita Muscaria
This is an Iceland band, cant find any reviews for it.
Album of the year in my book
1. Katrina
2. Silver Lining
3. A Little Bit of Everything
4. Paperboat
5. She Takes Me Home
6. Coffin Nail
7. Heart of Moon
8. Play to Keep Warm
9. Blossom
10. Memorabilia
http://www.myspace.com/lightsonthehighway

http://www.gogoyoko.com/#/album/Amanita_Muscaria1 you can listen to the album here and buy it as well

http://www.mediafire.com/?yvjztnnmzy2

DrNil

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #3824 on: 30 Nov 2009, 21:52 »

Here is one. It's being released digitally only.

Lights, as they are commonly known as, started in 2003 and gained a lot of attention in the Icelandic music scene early on. As the band and sound grew, so did the audience and the shows. Only 3 months into this new phase Lights on the Highway were voted the Best Emerging Band at the Icelandic Music Awards. They had also been invited to play at the Iceland Airwaves Festival and by the end of November 2004 they had performed their first international show at one of London’s most famous rock ‘n’ roll venues, London Astoria, even before the release of their first album saw the light of day in 2005. Lights returned to London a year later, this time for a show at the famous Marquee.

In the summer of 2007, after laying low for almost a year, Lights on the Highway (Kristofer, Agnar, Karl and Þórhallur), started writing new material. Their first single, “Paperboat”, was released late 2007 and marked a new chapter for the band. It took nearly a year to finish enough material for the album and the second single, “Silver Lining”, was released in the summer of 2008. They finally finished recording the album in December 2008.

Early 2009, LOTH released their third single, “A Little Bit of Everything”. Their newest single “Katrina”, a parody of the effects and consequences of 2005’s Hurricane Katrina, was released alongside a release date for the album in the beginning of August 2009.

Once again the band has added a new member to it’s ranks, Stefán Örn, a keyboard player and vocalist. So the band is a five piece band again and currently on tour, following the release of their second album.

theoryC

• Furry furrier
« Reply #3825 on: 30 Nov 2009, 23:25 »

Lights on the Highway - Amanita Muscaria
Album of the year in my book
1. Katrina
2. Silver Lining
3. A Little Bit of Everything
4. Paperboat
5. She Takes Me Home
6. Coffin Nail
7. Heart of Moon
8. Play to Keep Warm
9. Blossom
10. Memorabilia
http://www.myspace.com/lightsonthehighway

http://www.gogoyoko.com/#/album/Amanita_Muscaria1 you can listen to the album here and buy it as well

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?yvjztnnmzy2
Thanks for this, it's excellent!

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #3826 on: 01 Dec 2009, 05:09 »

I saw that someone had uploaded two So Many Dynamos albums, so here is their first EP. It sounds much different than their new stuff, but it is still very good. Oh, and I threw the limited-release song "So Few Bullets" in. That song was included with the "we're sorry our first full-length didn't get pressed in time for our release show" CD.

Enjoy!

So Many Dynamos - Are we not drawn onward to new era?

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?fyjnenxhqyw

Weepie McGee

• Not quite a lurker
  • orale, zombers!
« Reply #3827 on: 01 Dec 2009, 12:24 »

Tycho - Past Is Prologue

EDIT: new link
http://www.mediaf!re.com/?jzroun52nwh
Tycho is the music project of San Francisco based artist and producer Scott Hansen. As Tycho, Hansen blends swirling melodies into vaguely triumphant arcs that crisscross between stuttering beats and vocal samples, creating rolling sonic landscapes that extend off into the horizon. Known in the design world as ISO50, Hansen's bucolic, sun-drenched design style serves as a backdrop for the music which so closely echoes his visual sentiments.

one of my new favorites.  heard his one track on the "ghostly swim" mix put out on the adult swim website last year.  true love ever since.
« Last Edit: 03 Dec 2009, 15:23 by Weepie McGee »
i will kick your fucking ass, you rancid sack of pig shit

Elk

• Emoticontraindication
  • BLUUUUUUUUUUUGGHH.
« Reply #3828 on: 01 Dec 2009, 14:05 »

Why Are We Building Such A Big Ship? - Why Are We Building Such a Big Ship?

http://www.mediafire.com/?xtcmhgwggmm
Last.fm tags: new orleans, new weird america, punk brass

They may specialize in reissues, funk and soul and blues and gospel, but the fine folks at Mississippi also dabble in more contemporary sounds, The Spooky Dance Band (members of the late great Reeks and the Wrecks) and Sad Horse (members of the late great Fuck!) being the most recent, until now, and until Why Are We Building Such A Big Ship, hitch sounds exactly like it could be the title of a Mississippi compilation, but is in fact the name of a group, a BIG group, nine members, handling instruments like accordion, upright bass, banjo, bass drum, trumpet, French horn, sax, piano and euphonium. That should give you a rough idea of the sort of sounds these cats conjure up, and consider that this is a co-release with a label in New Orleans, so we’re talking a sort of woozy, New Orleans style funeral jazz, or more modern references might be the Decemberists, or even a less rambunctious, darker more contemplative Pogues, that sort of jazzy, drunken, wandering minstrel sort of cabaret sound, the instrumentation makes the sound old timely, Dickensian even, the horns moan and bleat, the accordions wheeze, very playful, yet ominous and haunting, the arrangements are gorgeous, evoking cobblestone streets, and cloudy skied rain soaked afternoons, shuttered buildings, and rolling hills of brown grass and tumbledown structures. It’s the music’s very old timeliness that somehow makes it a perfect fit on Mississippi, and while it may not appeal to the blues / gospel / archival vinyl reissue purists, it is pretty cool, and should definitely please fans into the Decemberists, Beirut, Neutral Milk Hotel, Slim Cessna and other outfits not necessarily at home in this time…

Sketches of an amorous window - The Palmetto Boudoir + the heart & crown society

http://www.mediafire.com/?rmd1dmyjnti
Last.fm tags: murder ballads

Sketches of an Amorous Window began as side project for b. Aubrey ( geisterfahrer, why are we building such a big ship, Jamestown 1609) and Shae Freeman (geisterfahrer, 23 Joules) as an outlet to play acoustic instruments and write songs that were influenced by folk music, early jazz, old country (especially murder ballads and disaster songs) and assorted Americana.
The duo live and work in New Orleans and are rumored to be assembling a live band for this project.

Blackbird Raum - Under the Starling Host

http://www.mediafire.com/?ojlmtb2ybmz
Last FM Tags: gypsy punk, folk punk, riot folk, folk punk, anarchist

This local Santa Cruz, CA band includes Zack (accordion), Caspian (banjo/piano), Mars (singing saw/mandolin,) David (washtub bass), and KC (washboard/piano).
They are often seen on Pacific Ave. performing for spare change.

Jug band punk, maybe? Well, if you like the album, I suggest supportin' 'em by going to Little Black Cart.com and looking up Blackbird Raum. One of my favorite bands.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #3829 on: 02 Dec 2009, 02:36 »

The xx - xx [Rough Trade Bonus Disc] [2009]

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?kjiyyjtj1ei
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #3830 on: 02 Dec 2009, 02:40 »

Nice one, thanks.

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh
« Reply #3831 on: 02 Dec 2009, 05:18 »

I'm seeing them live tomorrow. They are opening for Friendly Fires. So excited!
Sometimes I look at Achewood archives while listening to Spoon.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #3832 on: 02 Dec 2009, 10:50 »

Space Jam

I need to dig out my cassettes and listen to this again

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #3833 on: 02 Dec 2009, 13:09 »

http://www.mediafire.com/?nnzzfmi0yxi
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

pulpfiction21

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Pool Zombies
« Reply #3834 on: 02 Dec 2009, 14:42 »

i know it was posted a few pages back but that Phantogram album has been the best thing I've downloaded from here in a long time. Thanks to whoever posted it.
Maybe I should eat my friend

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #3835 on: 02 Dec 2009, 16:18 »

Ancient Greeks - The Song is You
Sorry it's in wma, I ripped it to my computer like 6 years ago and I don't know where the cd ran off to.
This is indie music. It's pretty mellow, I think you'll like it if you like Modest Mouse, Interpol, stuff like that.

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?553ynzmmnjg
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #3836 on: 02 Dec 2009, 20:26 »

Ummmm.... that Tycho album is pretty cool. But it's only part 1 of the .rar?
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #3837 on: 03 Dec 2009, 04:32 »

Fever Ray - Remixed [2009]

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?z2ojfzmt5gi
« Last Edit: 03 Dec 2009, 04:34 by scarred »
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Weepie McGee

• Not quite a lurker
  • orale, zombers!
« Reply #3838 on: 03 Dec 2009, 13:40 »

Ummmm.... that Tycho album is pretty cool. But it's only part 1 of the .rar?

i thought i was gonna have to upload it in two parts, but it fit in one.  disregard the title, that's the whole album.  glad you dig it!

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #3839 on: 03 Dec 2009, 13:44 »

So it's supposed to go track 1-2-3-4-5-12-13?
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

Weepie McGee

• Not quite a lurker
  • orale, zombers!
« Reply #3840 on: 03 Dec 2009, 14:28 »

So it's supposed to go track 1-2-3-4-5-12-13?

dang.  no.  i'll re-up.

dignan

• Not quite a lurker
  • What's in the bag?
« Reply #3841 on: 03 Dec 2009, 14:46 »

Larkin Grimm - Parplar (2009, V2 mp3 files with album art)

Saw this lovely young lady open up for the Mountain Goats last week, and I was impressed and bought the vinyl. She looked like she was 6-foot-eight on stage, and starkly beautiful. Some seriously messed-up freak-folk, with plenty o' weird instruments, but in spite of that a minimalistic feel. Lyrically, I am not certain that there is any body part that does not get a mention here, but somehow manages to avoid being (too) gross. The first, nearly-acapella song gives me creepy chills: "Who told you/You're going to be alright?/Well, they were wrong, all wrong/And in my mind, you are already gone." If Syd Barrett meets Bjork Gottmundsdottir in a wiccan commune in the woods of the Northeast U.S., these songs might be their sacred hymns.

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?zc3l040ymen
« Last Edit: 03 Dec 2009, 18:51 by dignan »

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #3842 on: 03 Dec 2009, 16:21 »

William Fitzsimmons - The Sparrow And The Crow[2008]

(8 out of 10)
It’s taken me a hell of a long time to feel comfortable enough to sit down and write this review. William Fitzsimmons was a name I had heard of a few years due to the track “Funeral Dress”, an incredibly beautiful track that stuck with me. When I saw his name on the review list I instantly chose to be the one who got his CD. Now, singer-songwriters don’t make up the bulk of my collection, in fact a quick scan will show they fall somewhere behind ‘80s Synth Pop’ and ‘Hair Metal’, so any comparisons I draw may seem simplistic and I apologise.

The Sparrow and Crow is honest, crushingly so in fact. No-one is going to be having any major problems working out what Fitzsimmons is singing about, and this adds to the discomfort of the listening experience. The album is the result of the break-up of his parents’ marriage, followed by the break-up of his own, and it is understandable that he would want to write this album. Rarely have I listened to a piece of music that has allowed me to feel what the songwriter was feeling at the time with such clarity. Again, this is as far from easy listening as it is possible to get. You don’t just have this on in the background, it reels you in and you are consumed by it.

This is not to say that Fitzsimmons has sacrificed his ability to write beautiful music in his new confessional songwriting style. Just Not Each Other is both simplistic and devastatingly beautiful, praise I seldom give music. Comparisons with both Bon Iver and Elliott Smith seem inevitable, and to my ears are wholly justified. However, The Sparrow and The Crow sounds more polished than most of Smith’s early work and certainly more so than Bon Iver’s ‘For Emma, For Ever Ago’, yet it is lyrically more raw, ignoring symbolism and analogy in favour of straight up honesty. This juxtaposition of music and words makes the message that much more powerful.

Despite the subject matter of the album it never feels over self-pitying or self-absorbed. While this may be a hard album to listen to, I’m sure it was a harder album to write and release. We should be thankful that Fitzsimmons did, because it is a fantastic album. After Afterall a re-working of the closing track from his previous album, is a haunting way to start the album, and to finish the album with the optimistic Goodmorning Fitzsimmons finds a way to almost make the listener forget about the pain and agony of the proceeding 11 tracks.

This is an album that will stay with you for a long time and rightly so, it is a beautiful CD.

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?2igmzn0xyytAfter Afterall
« Last Edit: 03 Dec 2009, 16:23 by Zombiedude »

Mein Tumblr

ADRIAN WOODHOUSE

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #3843 on: 03 Dec 2009, 17:27 »

LITTLE TEETH - child bearing man

sounds like : folk/pop/crazytown-gypsies

Little Teeth create a Bohemian-pop rhapsody on their latest album, Child Bearing Man that has a gypsy punk clamor liken to Gogol Bordello with avant folk splashing and glam-pop histrionics reminiscent of The Dresden Dolls. No matter how many times you play Child Bearing Man, the album always sounds like a music student’s project with the goal to incorporate all of the classmates instruments into the compositions. It does not matter how out of key the vocals are, or how much the banging in the movements veer off-kilter, as long as everyone is accounted for that is all that matters.

The San Francisco based trio of Little Teeth did just that with lead singer Dannie Murrie’s vocals creaking at every point. Ammo Eisu’s drumming and cello and violin chords trundle at a metronome that ticks to its own internal timing, and Andy Tisdall’s banjo shuffles and bass thumps mousy through the melodic phrases like a rolling bale of hay skidding across a field. There are overtones of bluegrass and country when Tisdall’s banjo and Murrie’s mandolin and accordion keys spin off into jamming whirlies, but most of the album has a gypsy punk folk fluster that have a tattered make-up and toy-like chimes giving the tunes a great amount of playfulness and wobbling. The gypsy punk rumples of “Oh Drag” have the kiddy-toy chimes of The Sippy Cups but with the adult handling of The Flaming Lips. The bluegrass shindig of “Applegate” is sleeved in showy flails with a square dance/hootenanny pace and a gypsy propped cadence.

The album delves into an avant art-pop tunage in “OHM” and “Livers & Heart Disease,” while the country shades of the banjo in “Between My Ears” are backed up by traditional toe tapping rhythms. The lyrics in “Between My Ears” show the band’s penchant to use symbolism and figurative expressions in their verses like, “Could’a held my hand / But busy fingers played a note with no repair / It’s the piece of promise there that was tangled in my hair.” Murrie’s vocal blemishes are not only apparent but exaggerated by her hoarse timbres. The slow drifting acoustics of tracks like “Good Girls and Boys” “White Houses,” and “Japanese Candy” are gently whisked while strolling along a carousal ride’s axel. The band executes circus-like stylistics and theatrics that recall of Vagabond Opera producing a brigade of instruments. The clicking beats of “Sideways” are ribbed by whiny strings which create a Bohemian vibe, and then smoothen to a satiny texture on the wind-chimed fillings of “Terrible News.”

Little Teeth may only be made up of three people but their brigades have the might of thirty. They exude a Bohemian-pop playfulness in their songs that is totally off-beat and skewed far from mainstream. Child Bearing Man is original without a doubt, and music that you would expect from a student becoming acquainted with the building blocks of tunesmith, and Little Teeth do not purport to be anything more that that.
  from absolutepunk.net

http://www.mediafire.com/?yymnzzkli05

gospel

• the word
« Reply #3844 on: 03 Dec 2009, 20:20 »

What a fantastic page. The William Fitzsimmons seems especially good thus far, and the Little Teeth is quite interesting. The few folk/gypsy albums earlier weren't bad either.

EDIT: I concur with the Larkin as well. Somehow, I almost missed it; glad I didn't.
« Last Edit: 03 Dec 2009, 22:53 by gospel »
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #3845 on: 03 Dec 2009, 20:24 »

I am liking Larkin.

Mein Tumblr

screamingfool

• Emoticontraindication
  • the terrible parable
« Reply #3846 on: 03 Dec 2009, 22:30 »

yeah larkin grim is awesome that album is her best but i can put up two of her others if there is interest

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #3847 on: 03 Dec 2009, 23:07 »

Miracles Of Modern Science-s/t[2009]

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?ydegzymizn0
Orchestral elements have always been used by bands to transform their work into something all the more epic. It is a timeless trick having been employed by everyone from The Who to Metallica and has been fully enlisted by bands such as The Arcade Fire. New Jersey’s own Miracles of Modern Science has taken this technique to a new level by creating a pop-rock sound that is entirely based around their classical instruments, pushing the standard rock requirements into the background. The result is the self proclaimed orchestral space rock that is both beautiful and epic in nature. Their debut, self titled, EP demands excellent speakers and a warning to your neighbors because the only way to listen to their first release is by turning it up, way up.

“MR2” leads things off with Kieran Ledwidge’s catchy violin section that will be stuck in your head for weeks. Two cellos and a mandolin fill things out and create the soundtrack to the story telling style of the lyrics. Grand build-ups litter the group’s musical landscape bringing you from valley to peak and back again. With the help of the two cellist’s combined with the high notes of a mandolin and violin, the epic pop song is perfected just the way the Beatles would have wanted it on “Eat Me Alive”. What is interesting to hear is the technique used by musicians, from plucking to odd bends and strains, as on the previously mentioned track. “Luminol”, a song about a desperate longing for love with a hint of bitterness and acceptance, is the stand out amongst the few selections. It carries those moments with a more predominant mandolin section that adds a touch of Appalachian roots to the music. Vocal duties are also traded, punctuated with harmonizing ooh’s and ahh’s as every string is plucked and strummed. “524” Closes things out with a western epic that includes some excellent whistling, and country guitars to go along with the running horse sound of the percussions. The send off proves that this east coast six piece can write one hell of a song in what ever style they choose be it indie pop, or civil war western.

While MOMS debut is short, is it a teaser for what is to come for the group. Given their talent and formal training the possibilities are endless, just check out the strange Dr. Seuss inspired non-EP track Didit (also available for free). By transferring the rock formula to classical instruments you create something unique. When you take those same instruments and make them the focus of your creativity, you end up with something that is new and exciting with endless possibilities. Hopefully this is not the last we here from Miracles as this EP is the proverbial tasting spoon at a Baskin Robins, you know you want more, but you have to wait.
« Last Edit: 03 Dec 2009, 23:09 by Zombiedude »

Mein Tumblr

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #3848 on: 03 Dec 2009, 23:08 »

Rules:

No hot-linking images or albums. You can re-host images at http://imageshack.us.

Ensure your tags are correct and that you have specified both Artist/Album in your post.

Upload your files in either a .zip or a .rar archive to mediaf!re.com, in multiple parts if the album is over 100mbs. The reason for this is that we know mediaf!re is safe and efficient and allows multiple downloads. The ads on other sites, such as Sendspace, are known to contain viruses on the page. Get yourself checked out.

Post your link using code tags. It's the # icon above the policeman emoticon. This prevents the links from being traced back to the forums, lowering the chance that the wrong people notice the thread, potentially threatening Jeph with legal action.

Also, please do NOT request albums. This includes requests for re-uploads; if you miss it, try looking for it somewhere else.

Repost the rules at the top of each new page.

Mein Tumblr

pogonrudie

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Dance like a gravedigger.
« Reply #3849 on: 03 Dec 2009, 23:10 »

What's that Fever Ray - Remixed thing like?

Larkin Grimm - Parplar (2009, V2 mp3 files with album art)

Saw this lovely young lady open up for the Mountain Goats last week, and I was impressed and bought the vinyl. She looked like she was 6-foot-eight on stage, and starkly beautiful. Some seriously messed-up freak-folk, with plenty o' weird instruments, but in spite of that a minimalistic feel. Lyrically, I am not certain that there is any body part that does not get a mention here, but somehow manages to avoid being (too) gross. The first, nearly-acapella song gives me creepy chills: "Who told you/You're going to be alright?/Well, they were wrong, all wrong/And in my mind, you are already gone." If Syd Barrett meets Bjork Gottmundsdottir in a wiccan commune in the woods of the Northeast U.S., these songs might be their sacred hymns.

http://www.mediaf!re.com/?zc3l040ymen
This sounds fucking spectacular, thanks a bunch.
band  /  facebook  /  flixster  /  last.fm
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 81   Go Up