THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 May 2024, 09:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Random thoughts  (Read 625879 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
Re: Random thoughts
« Reply #2100 on: 23 May 2013, 19:31 »

I'm serious about the random letter dropping. Come ON people. Do some editing before you press the "send" button on your smartphone app, okay?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Zingoleb

« Reply #2101 on: 23 May 2013, 19:58 »

no

Zingoleb

« Reply #2102 on: 23 May 2013, 19:58 »

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #2103 on: 23 May 2013, 20:19 »

Is it weird that once I decide someone is attractive, I want to smell them?

Nah, it just makes you Terezi. :P
I'm serious about the random letter dropping. Come ON people. Do some editing before you press the "send" button on your smartphone app, okay?
my smartphone is INCAPABLE of dropping letters.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #2104 on: 23 May 2013, 23:12 »

Mine, on the other hand, is incapable of editing text.
Okay, I was being hyperbolic. But seriously, if you want to edit text in a browser input field, your options are:

* press backspace until you get to the point where you made the mistake, then retype everything between the mistake and the place you started backspacing
* push you screen until the text cursor is roughly in the place you want to edit
* copy whole text into the Memo application and edit it there
* edit text on PC later
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

mtmerrick

« Reply #2105 on: 23 May 2013, 23:57 »

What's wrong with the second one? That's how mine works - tap where you want to move the cursor to, if it's not placed perfectly drag it where it needs to go. Edit just like you would on a PC.

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2106 on: 24 May 2013, 00:04 »

The problem is that the cursor won't go where I want it to; AND it sometimes becomes invisible after I have dragged it, until I start typing again. But that in turn means I don't know where I start typing; sometimes, I am typing off-screen.

I think this describes my problems very well:

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #2107 on: 24 May 2013, 00:40 »

I must say that the text box here is behaving differently than any others I've used before. It doesn't behave very well with touch that is.

mtmerrick

« Reply #2108 on: 24 May 2013, 00:48 »

dude's an idiot. drag the cursor tag around. don't tap . pressing and holding selects a word. its not that complicated.

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2109 on: 24 May 2013, 01:37 »

Primo, if that dude is an idiot, then so am I.

The cursor isn't easily dragged in this input field; sometimes, part of the text is offscreen and it is helluva difficult thing to drag the cursor there.

Imagine it looking on my phone somewhat like this.

mtmerrick

« Reply #2110 on: 24 May 2013, 01:44 »

....so slide the screen to center the text box, or pinch-zoom to resize it to fit better.

I don't get what the issue is.  :?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #2111 on: 24 May 2013, 02:00 »

I can't say what Android's like; on iOS, I just tap and hold near where I want it, a magnified view of the area round the cursor appears, then slide or roll finger to place it exactly - simples.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2112 on: 24 May 2013, 02:03 »

If I slide the page, the textbox loses focus, which means the cursor isn't there anymore; so I have to touch the textbox again, but then the cursor, once again, ends up in another place entirely than intended. If I pinch-zoom it, the textbox is now small enough so that I can see all of it, but then I still have to place my finger on the spot I want to edit. The problem is, I cannot read what I wrote, OR place my finger accurately enough on the place I want to edit.

An no, using a pen is not an option with the screen I have. It's one of those which only work if you touch them with conductive curved shapes such as fingertips or, say, metal spoons (yes, I tried that; it works, but is of course far too impractical.)

I could flip the phone to be in the "long side up" format, but then the keyboard takes half of the screen, and the textbox the other, which, once again, makes scrolling around neigh-impossible.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #2113 on: 24 May 2013, 02:06 »

I thought that it pertained to me and have gone back and reread my post like 4 times but I'm not missing any letters at all. It is as it should be.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #2114 on: 24 May 2013, 03:28 »

Loki is right. The irritating thing about this particular textbox is that it won't allow you to drag your cursor around unless you get focus, but focus doesn't bring me to the point I want to get, and also makes my browser zoom incredibly in, so that most of the text is off screen.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2115 on: 24 May 2013, 04:37 »

Sorry that it ended up here instead of one of the rant threads, but I have noticed it. A lot.

If Androids are that "dumb" when it comes to recognizing words and editing them, then why in the world do they call them "smart phones"?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #2116 on: 24 May 2013, 04:44 »

I've never had any issues with my Droid X2 or Galaxy S3 since they added the little "flag" on the cursor. You can also use the arrow keys to move it around.

But I also use Tapatalk now, and it is much easier for forums than the browser.

I don't know who that iiiiiis
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2117 on: 24 May 2013, 05:53 »

I should probably just root my Android and upgrade it; then maybe I could properly play Ingress. But I am afraid of bricking it.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #2118 on: 24 May 2013, 07:57 »

How does anyone expect the advertising slogan "X people can't be wrong" to be taken seriously? The number of people (e.g.) following any particular religion makes it completely useless.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2119 on: 24 May 2013, 08:04 »

"Shit is awesome - millions of flies cannot be wrong".

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #2120 on: 24 May 2013, 08:54 »

Scrotum? Damn near killed 'im.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

mtmerrick

« Reply #2121 on: 24 May 2013, 09:41 »

If I slide the page, the textbox loses focus, which means the cursor isn't there anymore; so I have to touch the textbox again, but then the cursor, once again, ends up in another place entirely than intended. If I pinch-zoom it, the textbox is now small enough so that I can see all of it, but then I still have to place my finger on the spot I want to edit. The problem is, I cannot read what I wrote, OR place my finger accurately enough on the place I want to edit.

An no, using a pen is not an option with the screen I have. It's one of those which only work if you touch them with conductive curved shapes such as fingertips or, say, metal spoons (yes, I tried that; it works, but is of course far too impractical.)

I could flip the phone to be in the "long side up" format, but then the keyboard takes half of the screen, and the textbox the other, which, once again, makes scrolling around neigh-impossible.
what os are you running, cupcake? o_O or do you just have a 2" screen? because i've never even heard of a even semi-modern android phone having those issues.

If Androids are that "dumb" when it comes to recognizing words and editing them, then why in the world do they call them "smart phones"?
they're not. Loki is a special exception :P

I should probably just root my Android and upgrade it; then maybe I could properly play Ingress. But I am afraid of bricking it.
YES.

Ingress. <3

also, i'll help. ;)

I've never had any issues with my Droid X2 or Galaxy S3 since they added the little "flag" on the cursor. You can also use the arrow keys to move it around.

^this. also, i've never even HEARD of anyone else other than my parents having an x2. that's like verizon's worst selling phone ever xD

Terezi Pyrope

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #2122 on: 24 May 2013, 10:00 »

I did a lot of research and ended up with the X2. My sister has it as well, as do a couple of friends. Or, they did, anyway. I loved it.

Also I do not have synesthesia so I'm not quite like Terezi. I just like how people smell! The boy I like smells like... old spice, coconut, mango, clean laundry and a little bit of sweat. It's fantastic.

But I can't smell the people I like online :(
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #2123 on: 24 May 2013, 10:17 »

So what you need is an excuse to get them to mail you an article of clothing.  Assuming you can't just ask...

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #2124 on: 24 May 2013, 10:54 »

That's a pretty odd request, though I would totally just ask outright.

I mean, would YOU send a girl one of your worn t-shirts just because?

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #2125 on: 24 May 2013, 11:12 »

Actually, it sounds sweet, an idea that maybe belongs in the long-distance relationship thread.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #2126 on: 24 May 2013, 11:26 »

Well yeah if I were actually dating someone far away, it would be perfect. But I am not.

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #2127 on: 24 May 2013, 12:31 »

That's a pretty odd request, though I would totally just ask outright.

I mean, would YOU send a girl one of your worn t-shirts just because?

Probably not! But I doubt I'm a good person to ask. >_>

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2128 on: 24 May 2013, 12:41 »

what os are you running, cupcake? o_O or do you just have a 2" screen? because i've never even heard of a even semi-modern android phone having those issues.

Gingerbread (2.3.5). Screen specifications: 240 x 320 pixels, 3.14 inches (~127 ppi pixel density).

Oh, and the virtual keyboard doesn't have any arrowkeys, obviously.

Zingoleb

« Reply #2129 on: 24 May 2013, 13:45 »

i could see it.

mtmerrick

« Reply #2130 on: 24 May 2013, 17:07 »

Gingerbread (2.3.5). Screen specifications: 240 x 320 pixels, 3.14 inches (~127 ppi pixel density).

you poor bastard.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #2131 on: 24 May 2013, 17:10 »

Don't know what model phone you have, but on  the one I have, the center button (not sure if it has a name, but it's the one I have to press to activate the screen) doubles as an arrow key button, but you have to drag your finger on it instead of pressing the button. Took me a while to figure that one out. Maybe I should start reading manuals before using things.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #2132 on: 24 May 2013, 17:30 »

You can download alternate keyboard apps. I use Smart Keyboard and you can add arrow keys.

i could see it.

But I don't look that evil... right?

Right guys?

Zingoleb

« Reply #2133 on: 24 May 2013, 17:56 »

terezi ain't evil! if anything's she's...lawful neutral?

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #2134 on: 25 May 2013, 15:28 »

Hi guys! I'm in Kyoto and a slow morning. Been walking a lot the last week which my busted up knees appreciate about as much as a .45 to the knee cap, minor issues this trip, I had my wallet stolen with $250 in it, but I can cover it financially and I got all my cards cut off inside of 30 minutes, the cops on my brothers base are looking for the sailor who nabbed it (yes I'm sure the guy was a sailor) the good news is he probably just took the cash and shit canned the wallet with no interest in identity theft, my travel insurance covers that though! Also I still have my passport, so things could have been so much worse then having to reapply for a drivers license when I get home.

We've had some issues with lodging and transportation but the only other real issue is my laptop has developed an exciting new error leaving it bricked with my rescue media and images literally on the other side of the planet.

That said this trip has been freaking amazing so far, I have about 500+ images (safe on my external drive) and expect to double that. See you all this weekend!
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #2135 on: 25 May 2013, 17:48 »

Congrats GM!

An old friend messaged me out of the blue asking me if I wanted to do this with him
http://www.runforyourlives.com/the-race/obstacles/  I am in no shape to do so but the one around here is in Bmore in October.  If I push myself I could be in shape to do so.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #2136 on: 25 May 2013, 18:30 »

How does anyone expect the advertising slogan "X people can't be wrong" to be taken seriously? The number of people (e.g.) following any particular religion makes it completely useless.

Or even worse, "As seen on TV".
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #2137 on: 26 May 2013, 02:14 »

Or:"dermatoligically tested".
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #2138 on: 26 May 2013, 04:03 »

I think I am going to acquire a Japanese style futon for my next apartment, the support is incredible for my busted up back <3
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #2139 on: 26 May 2013, 05:31 »

That's what I sleep on, for the same reason! 

The mattresses need replaced more often than a regular bed, though.  But they're also cheaper...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #2140 on: 26 May 2013, 15:07 »

Where do you get yours Carl? Save me the trouble of hunting down supplier in the States when I get home, in other news I'm off to play with the Nara deer today!

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2141 on: 26 May 2013, 15:16 »

Random: I sometimes only realize how long I have been up when the date on a post I made twenty minutes ago is not "today" anymore, but "<full date>". Id est, I stayed up past midnight.

I guess this is symbolical of things in my life being put into perspective by the power of hindsight. Or. Something.

A second sign of it being late is that I start philosophizing and ascribing symbolical meaning to stuff. I guess this is symbolical for something, too.

mtmerrick

« Reply #2142 on: 26 May 2013, 15:30 »

I stay up past midnight EVER SINGLE DAY. :P

The time on the clock means absolutely nothing to me.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #2143 on: 26 May 2013, 15:33 »

You call it 'staying up late' when it's past midnight? I call that 'time to stop trying to be productive'.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #2144 on: 26 May 2013, 15:36 »

Random thought I had while reading older random thoughts in this thread (about dropped letters on smartphones): I should finally take care of this keyboard I'm typing on. I modded it, and now, after a year of usage it has developed some strange habits. Some keys bounce, some only react sparsely. So: Woohoo! Opening up lot's of Cherry MX switches and hoping that a little blown air might help. Otherwise: Woohoo! Soldering!
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

mtmerrick

« Reply #2145 on: 26 May 2013, 15:36 »

You kidding? 11PM-3:30AM is my MOST productive time. :P

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #2146 on: 26 May 2013, 15:37 »

I think that's why LTK wrote "trying to be productive". Stop trying, just be productive.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2147 on: 26 May 2013, 15:50 »

Do or do not; there is no try.
- Yoda (quote correctly identified by Reid on Criminal Minds).

I would maybe be more productive if I was eating properly and didn't have class tomorrow early and didn't have a paper due.

Edit: and by being productive I mean sleeping.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #2148 on: 26 May 2013, 15:57 »

I think that's why LTK wrote "trying to be productive". Stop trying, just be productive.
No, it's definitely the point at which I stop being productive altogether. Technically, it's already tomorrow, and I didn't plan on doing any work tomorrow until after I've slept.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

mtmerrick

« Reply #2149 on: 26 May 2013, 16:27 »

That point for me is about 5:30-6AM. By then, why bother sleeping?
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 98   Go Up