THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 May 2024, 13:04
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Random thoughts  (Read 625645 times)

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
Re: Random thoughts
« Reply #2900 on: 07 Sep 2013, 08:47 »

Come on now:  Bainidhe_Dub is the name of the sword that only Doyle can wield.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #2901 on: 07 Sep 2013, 12:20 »

Can the Google spider see Discuss and Relate?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #2902 on: 07 Sep 2013, 13:51 »

"Welu" on Google brings up a religious television station and a bowler. If you do "welu t" or "welu dixon" it finds me right away. That doesn't bother me since it is my online name. Looking up my real name doesn't find me at least for the first few pages.

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #2903 on: 07 Sep 2013, 14:50 »

searching my real name doesn't show me anywhere till the second page, except i'm in the image results right there.  :psyduck:

really don't care about this.

i have a lot of old accounts that have become unused (or were NEVER used) that come up when you google my username. really should delete some of those accounts.....

Also, many people (including most family members) have heard me talk about XDA, and they consider it A Cool Thing. Then when i bring up people i know online, i guess its assumed that they come from XDA? i don't clarify.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #2904 on: 07 Sep 2013, 15:40 »

A doctor with a large practice and a bass player from a hippy band share my name, so I get to be a ninja for the most part.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #2905 on: 07 Sep 2013, 19:33 »

Come on now:  Bainidhe_Dub is the name of the sword that only Doyle can wield.

Yeah but I'm not the only one using it. And I've dropped the Dub part in a lot of places. There's also at least one Bainidhe Kitsune floating around.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #2906 on: 08 Sep 2013, 14:05 »

I'm open about the fact that I have internet friends, and that I'm on the QC forums, and I'm generally open about anything on my mind. I've never been particularly careful to keep my opinions to myself about much of anything, even though I know better. I had a stalker once, but that was in Albania, where for a brief moment, I was famous nationwide. That's different from being stalked on your own merit, I think.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #2907 on: 08 Sep 2013, 14:32 »

Guys, srsly, when I was making up the guest list for my wedding, I genuinely wanted to invite more friends from online than family members. Unfortunately I don't want to send official invites since the list is already a lot bigger than I thought it would be and I'd feel bad if I couldn't ensure you'd all have a place to stay and it'd be expensive for people from this forum and my other online mates to make it.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #2908 on: 08 Sep 2013, 14:33 »

I have had two crazy stalkers. Details beyond that need to be in the TMI thread.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

mtmerrick

« Reply #2909 on: 08 Sep 2013, 16:49 »

i was kinda bummed when i heard about linds's wedding, because AFAICT she didn't post any info about it for us to see beforehand but it was apparently a quasi-forum-meetup.

one that i was already in the area for!

and i missed :(

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #2910 on: 08 Sep 2013, 16:54 »

Even when you're home alone, clothed, and just washing your hands, dropping the bar of soap makes you immediately remember everything you ever heard about that and makes for an uncomfortable moment.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #2911 on: 08 Sep 2013, 17:09 »

People still use bars of soap? Not the liquid stuff?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2912 on: 08 Sep 2013, 20:51 »

Yes.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

mtmerrick

« Reply #2913 on: 08 Sep 2013, 23:55 »

my dad does. i do not comprehend it.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #2914 on: 09 Sep 2013, 01:11 »

I prefer solid soap for washing my hands. Don't really know why, but I do.

But this is only at home. In public places liquid soap seems a bit more hygienic.
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2915 on: 09 Sep 2013, 02:25 »

I don't know the details of Linds' wedding either but I suspect that if forum people were there, she invited them as friends from real life (some of us have met each other several times over the course of nearly a decade) - to be honest whilst I love this forum, I'd only invite people I had already met to my wedding. Just in case y'all aren't who you seem to be!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

ackblom12

« Reply #2916 on: 09 Sep 2013, 02:27 »

Yeah, everyone from here who went to that wedding has known each other for... shit, close to 8 years now.
« Last Edit: 09 Sep 2013, 07:59 by ackblom12 »

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #2917 on: 09 Sep 2013, 04:28 »

There's one met-online friend I'd love to invite because I've known them near ten years. However they live in Australia so it'd be hard for them to come. Plus if I only invited them they'd be essentially alone in a new country and I'd want to make time for them but weddings are busy things.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #2918 on: 09 Sep 2013, 06:43 »

People still use bars of soap? Not the liquid stuff?

I love solid soap for washing my hands. Much less packaging to deal with, generally isn't antibacterial (something I avoid, except at work), and I just like how it feels. I have to use liquid for showering though, as bar soap irritates my skin for some reason.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

mtmerrick

« Reply #2919 on: 09 Sep 2013, 06:55 »

o_O Why would you avoid antibacterial soap?

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #2920 on: 09 Sep 2013, 07:01 »

There's no reason for it. And from what I've heard, though this could be wrong, too much antibacterial stuff can weaken your immune system. I will use it at work or in public, because I am around a lot of people, any number of which could be sick on any given day. And I keep some on hand for the kitchen, in case I am dealing with raw meat/eggs. But on a day to day basis, when I'm at home, I don't want to use it.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2921 on: 09 Sep 2013, 07:13 »

It's pretty common to avoid anti-bacterial soap. I just did some googling and apparently anti-bacterial stuff contributes to antibiotic resistance, pollutes the waterways (and the consequences of that are untested), and doesn't really do any good since the majority of illnesses are caused by viruses, not bacteria. Basically anti-bacterial soap is a dilute antibiotic, and overuse of antibiotics is a serious public health concern.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

ackblom12

« Reply #2922 on: 09 Sep 2013, 07:15 »

It's basically something that is pointless, and possibly a bad idea in the bigger picture, outside of things like medical settings and situations.

Edit: oh yeah, also there was a possible connection to long term muscle degeneration due to over exposure to the chemical that makes soap anti bacterial.
« Last Edit: 09 Sep 2013, 07:22 by ackblom12 »

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #2923 on: 09 Sep 2013, 07:47 »

Overuse of disinfectants and antibacterial soap can also lead to allergies, as the immune system figuratively gets bored and attacks stuff which might possibly look dangerous. Which is basically an allergy.

But actually that's not the reason I use solid soap. I just prefer the feeling of it, and don't like how much most soaps are smelling. The soap I'm using (in German it's called ”Arztseife”, doctor's soap) doesn't smell, and doesn't rough up the skin as much as other soap when you're washing your hands a lot.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #2924 on: 09 Sep 2013, 07:55 »

It's pretty common to avoid anti-bacterial soap. I just did some googling and apparently anti-bacterial stuff contributes to antibiotic resistance, pollutes the waterways (and the consequences of that are untested), and doesn't really do any good since the majority of illnesses are caused by viruses, not bacteria. Basically anti-bacterial soap is a dilute antibiotic, and overuse of antibiotics is a serious public health concern.
This is why I hate tv commercials that exploit and exacerbate people's nosophobia (thank you, wikipedia) and tell them to buy aggressive anti-bacterial cleaning agents to protect their children and all that shit. They're even putting it in detergent, for fuck's sake.

Basically, I second Masterpiece's latest vitriolic letter.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #2925 on: 09 Sep 2013, 08:13 »

Basically, I second Masterpiece's latest vitriolic letter.
Thank you.

Papersatan

« Reply #2926 on: 09 Sep 2013, 08:39 »

I followed someone on Tumblr and I don't remember why, probably because a local guy I follow reblogged something of hers, but anyways it seems that she not only lives in Ann Arbor but also goes to my school maybe (she just posted that she was soon to be librarian, and as my program is the only ALA accredited program in the county....)?  I feel awkward now because she doesn't follow me back, and it feels weird and spy-like to follow someone I may end up interacting with in real life. 
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #2927 on: 09 Sep 2013, 10:39 »

Is their ask box open? Could chance just asking if they seem like someone you could befriend.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #2928 on: 09 Sep 2013, 14:10 »

Re:  Soap

I have tried Go-Jo, Fast Orange, and several industrial handcleaners.  Nothing, I repeat, nothing gets the grease and crud from working on a car off my hands as well as a bar of Ivory.  Not even that damned Lava pumice crap.  I'm constantly amazed by it...

But I wouldn't use it in the shower.  Stuff's pretty harsh on some of my skin.
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #2929 on: 09 Sep 2013, 14:44 »

Sometimes when you're at work and things aren't going your way (goddamn laser), you just have to find a cricket to play with.

The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

mtmerrick

« Reply #2930 on: 09 Sep 2013, 15:26 »

it kinda amazes me how genderfluid some senior citizens become....  :psyduck: i just got a disapproving glare for saying "excuse me, sir?" to the apparently female librarian. >_>

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2931 on: 09 Sep 2013, 15:54 »

That doesn't sound like genderfluid, it sounds like you just assumed wrong.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #2932 on: 09 Sep 2013, 15:54 »

Sometimes when you're at work and things aren't going your way (goddamn laser), you just have to find a cricket to play with.

My geckos would consider that one as tasty.

mtmerrick

« Reply #2933 on: 09 Sep 2013, 15:58 »

this is not the first senior citizen i've met who appears to be presenting as a different gender (or simply as androgynous), apparently purposefully. it confuses my brain, man  :psyduck:

ackblom12

« Reply #2934 on: 09 Sep 2013, 16:06 »

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #2935 on: 09 Sep 2013, 16:19 »

I was at a party on saturday and there was a girl who looked very androgynous, but if I wanted to know if she was genderfluid I think I'd have to look inside her head.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2936 on: 09 Sep 2013, 16:21 »

Wouldn't help - all human brains look basically the same.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #2937 on: 09 Sep 2013, 16:37 »

Wouldn't help - all human brains look basically the same.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #2938 on: 09 Sep 2013, 16:44 »

this is not the first senior citizen i've met who appears to be presenting as a different gender (or simply as androgynous), apparently purposefully.

I think it's more likely to be that beyond some degree of ageing, the characteristics that one recognises people's gender by are fading, and those that define age are dominant.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #2939 on: 09 Sep 2013, 16:46 »

My geckos would consider that one as tasty.
We've got a lot of crickets around here, if your geckos are hungry.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #2940 on: 09 Sep 2013, 20:11 »

I fully expected to see a dot of light dancing around it...

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #2941 on: 09 Sep 2013, 20:19 »

... I am terrible at my job. That thought never crossed my mind. Probably good that it didn't though. The closest laser to where the cricket was was our Nd:YAG laser, which would have vaporized the poor little fellow.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #2942 on: 10 Sep 2013, 00:30 »

The marketing department for the company with the innovative aircraft should not have called it "groundbreaking".
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #2943 on: 10 Sep 2013, 02:41 »

The closest laser to where the cricket was was our Nd:YAG laser, which would have vaporized the poor little fellow.
Batsman dives to avoid laser blast:
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2944 on: 10 Sep 2013, 07:04 »

Gotta watch those Pakistani bowlers...

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #2945 on: 10 Sep 2013, 11:03 »

The marketing department for the company with the innovative aircraft should not have called it "groundbreaking".

reminds me, tomorrow's 9/11.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #2946 on: 10 Sep 2013, 13:04 »

tomorrows' wardrobe:
black / black with patriotic tie.
tomorrow's weather forecast:
90F+ / 90%+ humidity.

I melt.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #2947 on: 10 Sep 2013, 13:45 »

In January of 2002, when there were shouts of war post 9/11, I decided to keep the "Peace on Earth" banner I had put over the porch stairs up until we were done with war. 

I've replaced it twice. 

I may need to buy another one. 

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #2948 on: 10 Sep 2013, 18:12 »

Why are our most common pets carnivores?

Plant-eaters would be cheaper to feed and safer to have around.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

ackblom12

« Reply #2949 on: 10 Sep 2013, 18:25 »

Well, cats and dogs both very likely self domesticated so they kind of got a leg up there, but you can probably blame cats ridiculously social nature on the Egyptians. Dogs and cats are just ridiculously useful pets in the scheme of things and that's partially due to them being carnivores. Well, dogs more so than cats in a modernized society, but hey.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 98   Go Up