THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 May 2024, 06:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Random thoughts  (Read 625838 times)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
Re: Random thoughts
« Reply #3750 on: 10 Jan 2014, 19:58 »

I dunno, I kinda like the radio.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3751 on: 10 Jan 2014, 22:17 »

Same here.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #3752 on: 11 Jan 2014, 00:19 »

I honestly don't know why any one would subject themselves to the tyranny of the radio, unless they lack both an aux port AND a tape deck.

But then, most of the rest of the world doesn't know about BBC Radio 4.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #3753 on: 11 Jan 2014, 00:40 »

I honestly don't know why any one would subject themselves to the tyranny of the radio, unless they lack both an aux port AND a tape deck.
Talk radio in Sydney is a festering pit of horrible, and the "rock" stations are pretty dreadful too, but by listening to 2MBS-FM a subscriber-supported music station, I have been exposed to music that otherwise I would probably never have heard. It's like a bee bringing musical pollen to fertilise my ears. :)
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #3754 on: 11 Jan 2014, 03:17 »

I fully agree. Although who still uses tapes?

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #3755 on: 11 Jan 2014, 03:33 »

I like the radio; if I'm going to listen to anything (I much prefer silence most of the time), I want it to be varied and new. I only sometimes get the impulse to listen to something specific that I already own.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #3756 on: 11 Jan 2014, 04:46 »

This american life is my current choice of radio/podcast thingy.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #3757 on: 11 Jan 2014, 05:04 »

I fully agree. Although who still uses tapes?

My car only has a cassette player, but I have an adapter that allows me to plug in my mp3 player or a CD player. Like I mentioned in the "What are you listening to" thread, I mostly listen to a classic rock station or NPR news (I was trying to see if the latter was on when I heard the offending commercial)

I have a few tapes. Mostly Zeppelin and Queen because those are my mom's favorite bands and I rescued them from being sold at a garage sale my family had.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #3758 on: 11 Jan 2014, 07:36 »

A tape adapter for an Aux cable is what I was getting at like 94ssd just described above.

Also Akima, we're working on that technology. http://www.pandora.com/

Honestly Pandora, Satellite Radio and occasionally tuning in for traffic information are the only type of radio I will ever bother with. Now I just need a zune that can hold all my music >.>;
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #3759 on: 11 Jan 2014, 08:34 »

it is weird. usually being in a the big bookstore calms me down. now it tires me. i am presented with endless possibilities. possibilities. a house full of shelves full of unrealized possibilities, too many for a lifetime to read or live, because those possibilities are lives that can be lived. lived sounds really similar to left.
to die to sleep, perhaps to dream. the old man, the bard, is in a book too. enclosed in many books, hoping to catch his essence, parts of lives poured into attempting to understand him. yet he will always be dead, or nonexistent maybe at all, if he is indeed an amalgamation of several lives as some of them say.
they cannot catch him. this is as calming as the stars that will always be there, no matter what happens here (or close enough to always, compared to a human lifespan).
i can see the city from the window of the bus. the city is aflare with lights, attempts to prolong the time, to delay the inevitable. it is visible from space maybe. it is like a beacon, as scream to the universe at large: we are here, we don't sleep. we are alive. we defy you.
the universe does not care. it smirks, maybe, at most.
delaying the inevitable. delaying sleep.
i need sleep. I am tired.
sleep is but temporary death. randall, a bard of our time, said it first. hallucinations, then amnesia.
do you fear death, jack sparrow? there used to be a lot more sparrows in the city. now they are dead, I suppose. evolution taking it's course.
this bus goes round and round, making it's circles through the city. like earth.
you have to move on.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #3760 on: 11 Jan 2014, 10:10 »

Is the TV full of adverts for holidays because people book their summer holidays now, or do people book their summer holidays now because the TV is full of adverts for holidays?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #3761 on: 11 Jan 2014, 10:22 »

People book now because it's cheaper now. Adverts play into that. Trust me ... We're looking for a holiday as well.
My Art.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #3762 on: 11 Jan 2014, 10:41 »

But is it not cheaper now because they want to encourage you to buy now? Sort of a chicken and egg situation.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #3763 on: 11 Jan 2014, 10:46 »

Perhaps. I don't know why it's cheaper now, actually. Never thought of it. I suppose doing it this way ensures that during the actual holiday season travel agent's aren't flooded with requests or something ...
My Art.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #3764 on: 11 Jan 2014, 10:56 »

It enables forward planning of hotels, couriers, flights, aircraft sizes, and the like; and in return (or as an incentive to do what makes their life easier) we get what we are led to believe is a bargain.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #3765 on: 11 Jan 2014, 11:00 »

Why must every software developer have to make their own fancy little variation on the 'in progress' animation? Do they patent that shit or something? A turning hourglass ought to be good enough for everyone, and it's more comprehensible to boot.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3766 on: 11 Jan 2014, 12:04 »

I've been a fan of this radio station for a few years, especially it's weekly Morning Crew.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3767 on: 11 Jan 2014, 14:14 »

It enables forward planning of hotels, couriers, flights, aircraft sizes, and the like; and in return (or as an incentive to do what makes their life easier) we get what we are led to believe is a bargain.

Also, isn't it more common to have scheduled your vacation (as we call "holidays" in the States) in December/early January, so you know when you're going to be off? And now is the first time people would have to plan it since Christmastime.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #3768 on: 11 Jan 2014, 16:22 »

Something for the Germans in this forum:

Ist das Mädchen brav bleibt der Bauch konkav.
Hat das Mädchen Sex wird der Bauch konvex.

I dunno, I thought it was funny.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #3769 on: 11 Jan 2014, 16:24 »

Aye, women grow by men.
My Art.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #3770 on: 11 Jan 2014, 16:50 »

I bought the Back to the Future game yesterday (it's on sale at Good Old Games for $3), and I'm currently in Part 3 of the game. I'm finding it very disappointing at this point that there's no option to kick Officer Parker in the nuts.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #3771 on: 11 Jan 2014, 17:58 »

In Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin, the Torture Museum is across the street from the wedding chapel.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #3772 on: 11 Jan 2014, 18:13 »

Much the same building really.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3773 on: 11 Jan 2014, 18:41 »

Point of order: it's usually called "Wisconsin Dells" without the redundant "Wisconsin", unless you're referring to an address.

And I wasn't aware of the juxtaposition of those two buildings.

Just another Joe like 46

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #3774 on: 11 Jan 2014, 18:56 »

Point of order: it's usually called "Wisconsin Dells" without the redundant "Wisconsin", unless you're referring to an address.

With places like Kansas City, Missouri, Ohio County, West Virginia, and Texas City, Illinois, you can never be too careful.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #3775 on: 12 Jan 2014, 01:21 »

It always used to strike me as odd that US addresses always included the state (and I've heard people say "London, England" etc). I think I've got used to it now though. We do have repeat place names in the UK but I guess either because it's a smaller place we figure it'll be clear from context which one we mean, or we just like people to get lost. Case in point: Newcastle. Get them mixed up and you've got a long walk.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #3776 on: 12 Jan 2014, 01:27 »

Hehe just had to share how much I loved the photo at the head of this article about online dating.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #3777 on: 12 Jan 2014, 01:33 »

You only really need the first line and postcode to get a letter where it's going in this country. The rest is redundant.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #3778 on: 12 Jan 2014, 08:51 »

With places like Kansas City, Missouri, Ohio County, West Virginia, and Texas City, Illinois, you can never be too careful.
And there's an Indiana, California, Wyoming, and Oklahoma in Pennsylvania. (I'm probably missing a couple more)

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #3779 on: 12 Jan 2014, 09:15 »

It doesn't stop at American states: you people have stolen names from one continent over like St. Petersburg.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #3780 on: 12 Jan 2014, 09:43 »

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #3781 on: 12 Jan 2014, 10:35 »

It doesn't stop at American states: you people have stolen names from one continent over like St. Petersburg.

Athens TN, and GA
Rome, TX
Paris, TX

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #3782 on: 12 Jan 2014, 13:34 »

Something for the Germans in this forum:

Ist das Mädchen brav bleibt der Bauch konkav.
Hat das Mädchen Sex wird der Bauch konvex.

I dunno, I thought it was funny.
Until today I was always unable to remember the definitions of concave and convex, but when I encountered one of the words today I was reminded of this and I immediately understood. Awesome mnemonic!

(It works in Dutch too. :D)
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #3783 on: 12 Jan 2014, 13:46 »

Can someone translate? Google doesn't seem to help any...

Also, caves go into the side of a hill and so they are concave.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #3784 on: 12 Jan 2014, 13:52 »

Roughly:

If a girl does behave, her tummy stays concave.
If the girl has sex, her tummy gets convex.

This is, of course, not exactly a politically correct mnemonic, which is probably why our physic's teacher used a different one :roll:

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #3785 on: 12 Jan 2014, 14:06 »

Ah. Yeah, I can see how that might have landed them in hot water.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #3786 on: 12 Jan 2014, 14:13 »

A friend of mine got a plush unicorn as a birthday present from his roommate. It is fabulous. I want one too.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #3787 on: 12 Jan 2014, 15:01 »

The one for resistor color codes is best forgotten.

Why does Amtrak's online route map include Cuba?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3788 on: 12 Jan 2014, 15:40 »

Probably because it's in-between Florida and Puerto Rico?
Just another Joe like 46

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #3789 on: 12 Jan 2014, 15:46 »

The one for resistor color codes is best forgotten.

Why does Amtrak's online route map include Cuba?
They have PLANS.  :psyduck:

(click to show/hide)

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #3790 on: 12 Jan 2014, 20:30 »

The New York Central Railroad had a classics scholar naming the stops that hadn't yet been developed. 

Utica, Rome, Syracuse, Troy, Ithaca, and a few others. 

My favorites are Mecca, Brazil and Versailles, all in Indiana.  Brazil has a long A and the accent on the first syllable.  Most noted as the place that first put Dave Letterman on the air as a weatherman.  Versailles has the L's and the S pronounced. 

Fortunately, you can't screw up Mecca.  Except that it's on the western edge of the state...  :roll:
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #3791 on: 12 Jan 2014, 20:35 »

There's a Bogota in New Jersey, but the stress is on the second syllable rather than the third. I drive through it all the time!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #3792 on: 12 Jan 2014, 20:54 »

There's a Bogota in New Jersey, but the stress is on the second syllable rather than the third. I drive through it all the time!

Reminds me of Cairo, Illinois, pronounced KAY-row.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #3793 on: 12 Jan 2014, 20:56 »

...ow. That's just...no.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #3794 on: 12 Jan 2014, 20:58 »

...ow. That's just...no.

No, what?

It has a very interesting and tragic history. It went from being a thriving economic hub to mostly abandoned because of race relations. There's a recent documentary on it called Between Two Rivers
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2014, 21:05 by 94ssd »

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #3795 on: 12 Jan 2014, 21:05 »

Like the syrup. 

When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #3796 on: 12 Jan 2014, 21:07 »

Sort of like Lebanon, Missouri (stress on the second syllable), or Miami, Oklahoma (pronounced "Miama").

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #3797 on: 12 Jan 2014, 21:08 »

Here's a trailer for the documentary, which also features locals saying the name.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #3798 on: 12 Jan 2014, 21:24 »

a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3799 on: 12 Jan 2014, 21:50 »

My father and his family are from Oconomowoc, Wisconsin.

My wife still refuses to try to spell the name of the city.
Just another Joe like 46
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 98   Go Up