THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 May 2024, 03:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kingdoms Of Alumar: Reckoning  (Read 5862 times)

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
  • Hai. Zorro here. Any CC?
Kingdoms Of Alumar: Reckoning
« on: 14 Feb 2012, 22:42 »

Anyone playing this new RPG game? I am :)

Pro's: Make your own everything a bit like in TES games
        Big world -> lots of quests -> A bit of a WoW feel at sometimes (questing)

Con's: Just feeling of it just being another RPG
          It's not hard. It's fairly easy so far... did i click 'easy' again? buy 30 potions for about 20% of the money you have...

I play solely as a warrior class human type. I forge my own swords and armor which I am now almost pro at. A

blanktom

• FIGHT YOU
  • Liev Schreiber scares me
    • myspace!
Re: Kingdoms Of Alumar: Reckoning
« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2012, 02:59 »

Yeah I got this at the weekend, have only managed about 6 hours on it so far.

One thing I'm finding to be both a pro and a con is the combat. It is REALLY fun with almost all of the weapons, but unfortunately you have to either dump points into one set or level them evenly, which will take a while. There's not a whole lot of scope to be an all rounder. It'd be good if skills just levelled as you used them like in Skyrim. Aside from that, I'm having fun, but I am worried it's going to become a bit samey.

Oh, and I got the Day 1 DLC - a set of armor called 'Shepherd' armor, inspired by the N7 armor in Mass Effect. It looks so awesome.
Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2012, 05:05 »

The game is kind of easy even on hard.  But the easiest way to solve that is go somewhere that is harder.  I hope no one is complaining it's easy if they're using that promotional armor/weapons.
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

blanktom

• FIGHT YOU
  • Liev Schreiber scares me
    • myspace!
« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2012, 06:17 »

The game is kind of easy even on hard.  But the easiest way to solve that is go somewhere that is harder.  I hope no one is complaining it's easy if they're using that promotional armor/weapons.

Yeah, I'm not finding it too difficult, but I've already found a set of armor better than the Shepherd stuff.
Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
  • Hai. Zorro here. Any CC?
« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2012, 06:58 »

just get 100000 health potions, drink them all. DONE. EASY.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2012, 08:21 »

Saw news about this game. At no point during the seemingly extensive marketing campaign did I find an indication that it was worth playing.

Also you spelled "Amalur" wrong. Not that it matters, it's a rather stupid name. :P
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #6 on: 15 Feb 2012, 15:06 »

I tried the demo, and it felt.. Like a good MMO. Which is not at all what I'm looking for in a single player game. I got into a fight with some wolves that was pretty cool, though - they kept circling and attacking one at a time, never letting me activate my super-whatever. So maybe I'll give it a try.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #7 on: 15 Feb 2012, 15:15 »

From what I played of the demo I felt like the exploration is just a tiny bit too limited since so much of the scenery is rather carefully cordoned off. It's not terrible, mind you, and I'm certain it contributes to how generally polished the game feels compared to old Elder Scrolls games, but then I'm one of those guys who'd rather be able to try and get up every tree than have a perfectly polished experience even if that kind of thing sometimes leads to clipping and a crash to desk top. It certainly doesn't seem like an outright bad game.

Really, I suspect the biggest problem I had with it is the overwhelming sense of deja vu that came from an opening that consisted of being mistaken for a corpse, chatting with Hrothgar and killing a few rats.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #8 on: 18 Mar 2012, 22:18 »

I got the feeling that this is the sort of game Dragon Age 2 wanted to be.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

ackblom12

« Reply #9 on: 18 Mar 2012, 23:18 »

I just found the demo boring honestly. It knows what it wants to be and a lot of folks love what it is, but the world felt incredibly generic to me and I just don't care that much about the combat aspects of most fantasy RPG games if it doesn't have the narrative or lore to back it up.

schimmy

• The Tickler
« Reply #10 on: 19 Mar 2012, 09:39 »

I've not played it myself, but I've spent a fair amount of time watching my housemate play it. It didn't seem all that generic to me. At least, the enemies in it don't seem to be exactly the same as the monsters in every other RPG ever. They seemed to be much more based on British folklore, which seemed pretty cool to me.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #11 on: 19 Mar 2012, 11:31 »

It's not really the monsters so much as it is absolutely everything else. Highlights from my internal monologue while playing the demo:

"Oh, hello voice actor from Icewind Dale! We waking up from the dead today? This'll be the fifth or sixth time I've done that as the beginning of an RPG/Adventure game, but okay. Just don't tell me that we're going to have to kill rats. Oh, yes, there they are, rat killing time, whatever. Now, where were we? Oh, you've written the re-spawns into the game. That's cool, I guess. When does our short mentor die so we can carrry on solo?"
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

ackblom12

« Reply #12 on: 19 Mar 2012, 14:17 »

Exactly what Alex said. The art style is fine, but it's Fantasy 101 everywhere else that counts.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #13 on: 17 Apr 2012, 18:26 »

Playing it at the moment. Decent enough, old school in some elements, nice contemporary twist with others. Fun enough.
Pages: [1]   Go Up