THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 21 May 2024, 13:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The "Random Comic" Function  (Read 4276 times)

chetoos8

• Not quite a lurker
The "Random Comic" Function
« on: 09 Jun 2012, 21:54 »

I occasionally use the Random button on the comic to get me somewhere in an arc, just for a little reading when I'm bored, and it seems to always do comics from before 1200, I'm not sure if I'm getting bad numbers or what, but I've never seen it over 1200, as far as I know. My question is does anyone know if that can be changed to be more up to date? Because a lot of the new arcs would be cool to start randomly in and just read

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
Re: The "Random Comic" Function
« Reply #1 on: 09 Jun 2012, 23:00 »

Yeah, I think Jeph admitted in one of the QA things on his Tumblr page that the random comic link is broken (from what I can tell, it links to the random comic feature on ohnorobot.com, but that only works if the comics are entered into its archive, which apparently hasn't been done for QC since the 1200s)
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun 2012, 00:06 »

There's also a big gap in the 800s.  It would be very easy for a random function to be added to the code of the site without any reference to outside code - there's a suitable function in PHP already - but clearly Jeph doesn't see it as an important thing to deal with.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2012, 00:57 »

As a kind of a fix you can use the script written by another forumite and given here. That script was designed to help people play the QC band game, so it opens three random comics at the same time in different tabs. It should not be too difficult to edit the said script to open just one :roll:. It asks for the number of the latest comic, but if you are off by a few guessing that number, then it is unlikely to matter.

I turned that into a bookmark. Figuring out how to do that took a while, but it has worked well since.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.
Pages: [1]   Go Up