THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 17 May 2024, 07:55
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Bear with me folks, I've only done this once before: What was the MOMENT OF THE WEEK??

"About last night...I was drunk, but I totally meant it."
- 1 (0.7%)
"I'm super into you. The whole shebang. Massive crush. Barfin' butterflies."
- 11 (8.1%)
"If it doesn't work out, hey, it happens. I wanna give it a try."
- 1 (0.7%)
"So, uh-* *SMOOOOOCH* :-D
- 16 (11.8%)
Tai and Dora practice the call of the domesticated Marten
- 4 (2.9%)
"Is this normally what happens when people kiss?"
- 1 (0.7%)
"I hope not...I've been doing wrong this whole time"
- 3 (2.2%)
POWER HUG! (and a bruised sternum)
- 10 (7.4%)
"You promise you're okay with this?" "I promise. I'm happy for you guys"
- 0 (0%)
"Good...Right now I would happily sacrifice our friendship for more Dora-kisses"
- 5 (3.7%)
Marten appreciates brutal honesty
- 1 (0.7%)
"You're ok with this?" (again)
- 0 (0%)
SEE? HE'S SERIOUSLY OK WITH IT PEOPLE!!!! GOD!
- 6 (4.4%)
"I don't believe in altruism. You must have an angle." "I like seeing my friends happy."
- 1 (0.7%)
"It would make ME happy if you have me a hundred bucks." "Who says we're friends?" (burn)
- 4 (2.9%)
"WE'RE friends" (double burn)
- 14 (10.3%)
"Do you have a belly button?"
- 5 (3.7%)
"Of COURSE I-" *checks* "Yes, I do."
- 13 (9.6%)
BOOP!
- 4 (2.9%)
ANIMATED BOOP! (Emily will rule this comic)
- 36 (26.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2246-2250 (August 6-10 2012) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 94408 times)

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class

I can comprehend the responses offering the opinion that the relationship won't last - that was kind of to be expected. But hoping that it won't last seems a bit mean spirited to me, to say the least. It suggests to me that there is something more behind the opinion than what is being written.

It's not mean because they're imaginary.  It's pragmatic.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

The potential friction point that leaps out is the conflict in mindset and values between a business owner and a stoner. That's going to take work to overcome.
A business owner who drinks alcohol, and whose parents are stoners. Dora is hardly straight-edge.

An accurate and relevant point, but I can't imagine Dora being cool with someone dropping acid on the job.

Hope Tai isn't allergic to cats!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

INB4 emergency hosing by Faye!
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

Pragmatic in what way, exactly?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

INB4 Faye yelling "Go home and F*CK her already!" ... something inappropriate.
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

WAYF

• Beyoncé

LEVITY! :D

Edit: Faye, sex with you is apparently good enough to make Angus want to wrestle a bear afterwards. Quit complaining. :P
« Last Edit: 07 Aug 2012, 01:06 by WAYF »

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Awkward Zone entered

We need a costume change!!
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Awkward Zone entered

We need a costume change!!

Dora in a riding costume, Tai in a corset and knickers!!

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

But hoping that it won't last seems a bit mean spirited to me, to say the least. It suggests to me that there is something more behind the opinion than what is being written.
Yes, me too. And it does rather, doesn't it?

Jeph stole my line:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

An accurate and relevant point, but I can't imagine Dora being cool with someone dropping acid on the job.
No, probably not, though drinking on the job doesn't seem to bother her. Nor assaulting the customers for that matter. Anyone would think QC was a comic or something...  :-D
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

I thought Tai's blush yesterday was quite sweet, but seeing the two of them blushing together for three frames is even sweeter!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

I want to see more of CoSt. The scene where cosette literally marked Stevens ass with her flag, AWESOME! http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1877

GAAAAAAHHHHHH. Read this. </peeve>

This. I literally thought I had missed a comic where Cosette literally planted a flag on Steve's ass. And that sounded awesome. And then I discovered it didn't actually exist.

And then I was sad.
Me too – or three?

... any fan artists up to the task?
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

michael28

• Balloon animal serial killer

I want to see more of CoSt. The scene where cosette literally marked Stevens ass with her flag, AWESOME! http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1877

GAAAAAAHHHHHH. Read this. </peeve>

This. I literally thought I had missed a comic where Cosette literally planted a flag on Steve's ass. And that sounded awesome. And then I discovered it didn't actually exist.

And then I was sad.
Me too – or three?

... any fan artists up to the task?

OK, I'M SOWWY  :cry:
The great question that has never been answered, and which I have not yet been able to answer, despite my thirty years of research into the feminine soul, is "What does a woman want?"
- Sigmund Freud -

WAYF

• Beyoncé

It's all fun and games until fanart gets involved.

That goes for the current arc too. :evil:

Silentbanksy

• Plantmonster
  • Surreal, aren't they?

It's all fun and games until fanart gets involved.

That goes for the current arc too. :evil:

FOUR GIRLS, ONE HOSE. Someone get onnit.
I'm witty, right?

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

Ahh, the necessary awkward and speechless post kiss period where no thought was given yet.

Gonna take at least until Friday to get anywhere I think.

And the only thing "behind" wanting them to crash and burn on my side is that I'm just not feeling it with their compatibility and it has nothing to do with sexual orientation.  Just incredibly too one-sided in my opinion with Tai and Dora seemingly going with it because of how hard and fast Tai went for Dora.  Which explains the wow.  Tai put a lot of emotion into that kiss.

Bah.  That's the beauty of written things though and the frustration. 

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

I think I would shout "GET A ROOM ALREADY GUYS !!!" at the top of my lungs if I would actually be physically present at this scene.
Carpe Diem

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday

Clearly the effects of spending prolonged time with Marten.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

I should probably clarify that I don't want Tai and Dora to crash and burn (I want them to be happy with each other), I just think they will crash and burn.

Boxilar

• Emoticontraindication
  • I have a hat

Well, if this is any indication, maybe Dora should have kissed a girl along time ago. 'Cause she liked it. Wonder if Tai had on Cherry Chapstick.  :-D

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Katy Perry lyrics? In my QC forum? It's more likely than you think. :-\

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Clearly the effects of spending prolonged time with Marten.

WIN.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

TheEvilDog

And then Tai goes back to the library, only to find out she was fired because her boss saw her kissing Dora. Although she wasn't fired because of the kiss or because Dora is a girl, but rather that she left work specifically to go kiss Dora (which is really how the boss will see it)

It's been a rough day and I do feel like being a little mean-spirited.

Midwesterner

• Plantmonster

And then Tai goes back to the library, only to find out she was fired because her boss saw her kissing Dora. Although she wasn't fired because of the kiss or because Dora is a girl, but rather that she left work specifically to go kiss Dora (which is really how the boss will see it)

Suddenly, the coffee Brontosaurus shows up and explodes in the boss' face. Karma.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Now I'm hoping for a week (20 minutes strip time) of "er um uh" while the other characters react.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine

Considering the dirt Tai has on school administrators, I'd say her job is fairly secure.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

ASmellyOgre

• Plantmonster

I love how this has gone and all, but am I the only one annoyed by how the blushing is drawn?

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

Less 'drawn' and more colored. I don't know if the format of the image just doesn't render gradients well, or what, but the blush spots do remind me of large, irritated, unerupted pimples. You know the ones - they're large, they're painful, and you just pray that they'll finally come to a head so you can pop'em and finally be rid of them.

I think he'd be better off with just the lighter tone of blush, and only using the one shade rather than 2/gradient.

Oh. Sorry for the, uh, colorful imagery there.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

The gradients are drawn smooth, but become quantised in the conversion to png format.  Jeph has stated on a previous occasion that to use a format that preserves the gradients would double the size of the file and hence his bandwidth costs - which may be more than a little significant seeing as how he has a somewhat popular comic!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

Alright, then the best thing, appearance- and size-wise, would to be to just use a single solid color for a blush, imo.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

It's actually not that he's using a PNG (which supports 24-bit color plus 8 bits of alpha channel (not that he uses transparency at all), which is more than many of the (18-bit) LCDs that people use to view QC), but rather that he's using an 8-bit palette.

(Which restricts him to the same limitations as a GIF.)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

No, probably not, though drinking on the job doesn't seem to bother her. Nor assaulting the customers for that matter. Anyone would think QC was a comic or something...  :-D

Hmm. Raven was afraid that Dora would be furious about Faye drinking at work (to my annoyance, I can't find the comic). On the other hand, it's impossible that Dora doesn't know about the Emergency Bourbon and its use.

I suppose you could think QC was a comic.  If you didn't have an AnthroPC at home and a weather control dome over your town, it would seem somewhat unrealistic :-)

Did anyone else think Dora and Tai are acting more like high schoolers than the sexually experienced adults they are? That felt off to me. On the other hand it was funny and sweet, which is what matters.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

C'mon. It's not like they're stealing muffins from the baked goods case.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Vilengel

• Not quite a lurker
  • if this is a personal text why is it public then

Oh my god, cutest Dora and Tai ever. I wonder how long Jeph is gonna keep us all "D'AWWW". Has anyone noticed that when the forum agrees on how the story probably develops, Jeph often pretty much yells "HAHA NOPE" and goes for something different?

Now I've jinxed it, haven't I?

Toe

• Obscure cultural reference

The gradients are drawn smooth, but become quantised in the conversion to png format.  Jeph has stated on a previous occasion that to use a format that preserves the gradients would double the size of the file and hence his bandwidth costs - which may be more than a little significant seeing as how he has a somewhat popular comic!

A *good* JPEG compressor would probably do the trick. (While audio & video codecs are constantly optimized, most apps use basically the same JPEG compressor that's been around since the late 80s, and doesn't really push the format to its limit.)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Jpeg would lose the sharp lines of the drawing, though, and thus change the whole style of the comic.  I think he's published one or two comics as .jpg when the banding was really damaging to the concept of the image (which I'd say it isn't here).

Renewman

• Emoticontraindication

Oh my god, cutest Dora and Tai ever. I wonder how long Jeph is gonna keep us all "D'AWWW". Has anyone noticed that when the forum agrees on how the story probably develops, Jeph often pretty much yells "HAHA NOPE" and goes for something different?

Now I've jinxed it, haven't I?

One can only hope.

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.

HEY TAI JUST KISSED YOU
AND THIS IS CRAZY
BUT DORA YOU SHOULD
RAM IT IN MAYBE

oh God what have I wrought, hodges please don't ban me

Also, some of the responses in this thread are making me pretty hard, and I'll say this, they're not the squeeing responses.

(Come on, dudes, Marten is happy for these two, his dong has been long out of the Lady Bianchi's private areas, let it fucking go. :psyduck: Tai is a brat, but this is her day in the sun. Let her rejoice.

also, fixed the lyrics. Now they are perfect.)
« Last Edit: 07 Aug 2012, 14:55 by Dr. ROFLPWN »
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

Boxilar

• Emoticontraindication
  • I have a hat

Did anyone else think Dora and Tai are acting more like high schoolers than the sexually experienced adults they are? That felt off to me. On the other hand it was funny and sweet, which is what matters.
[/quote]

There's a good chance, despite being bi, this is Dora's first real experience with a woman, so her akwardness is understandable. And for Tai, this is her first real shot at romance instead of casual hookups. She's awkward because if she screws it up, it will mean something. Both them are cute as hell though.

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.

Girl on girl make outs.

You're doing it wrong.
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor

HEY TAI JUST KISSED YOU
AND THIS IS CRAZY
BUT DORA YOU SHOULD
RAM IT IN MAYBE

oh God what have I wrought, hodges please don't ban me

Also, some of the responses in this thread are making me pretty hard, and I'll say this, they're not the squeeing responses.

(Come on, dudes, Marten is happy for these two, his dong has been long out of the Lady Bianchi's private areas, let it fucking go. :psyduck: Tai is a brat, but this is her day in the sun. Let her rejoice.

also, fixed the lyrics. Now they are perfect.)

If we're allowing Katy Perry references we can allow this. Also, I lol'd  :psyduck:
- Alvin

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class

Pragmatic in what way, exactly?

Well it's clear that the relationship between the slacker and the small buisness owner won't go anywhere.  By pointing this out now we can look back on this day in 3 years time (about a month later in the QCverse, aka Dimension Butts) and say, "Told ya!"

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor

Is she really a slacker? A lot of what we've seen says otherwise; most notably the fact that she's in charge of the day-to-day runnings of a college library. Other than that she's on her way to becoming a professional DJ. She seems ambitious enough, in my opinion.

Drug user =/= slacker

(slacking off to get stoned and watch cartoons notwithstanding :P)
- Alvin

TheEvilDog

Is she really a slacker? A lot of what we've seen says otherwise; most notably the fact that she's in charge of the day-to-day runnings of a college library. Other than that she's on her way to becoming a professional DJ. She seems ambitious enough, in my opinion.

Drug user =/= slacker

(slacking off to get stoned and watch cartoons notwithstanding :P)

That said she has on at least 2 occasions taken substances while at work (Ecstasy at the library rave and dropping acid at a later date).

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor

Even then it's worth mentioning that she was functioning fine on both occasions. Actually during the rave, was Tai herself on drugs? I think that was just the girl she was dancing with.
- Alvin

TheEvilDog

Ah, you're right, just remembered that it was the girl Tai had a crush on at the time said her E was kicking in.

And even though she appeared fine, still hardly the smartest idea to get high when you're at work.

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.

Also it's not like Dora's such an incredible tightass that she never takes a day off. Yes, she has control issues, but they don't mean she is Incapable of Fun.

If Tai came and f'ed up her running Coffee of Doom, then Tai's more lackadaisical nature might be an issue, but do you really see that happening? I do not. Tai isn't perfect, but she has more sense of social propriety than that, based on her past history in the comic.
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!

Coffee of Doom keeps a supply of Emergency Bourbon on the premises.

I don't think Dora will have a problem with Tai's work ethic.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine

I am pretty sure that if Dora doesn't fire her employees for getting drunk at work that she certainly won't mind her gf getting high at her job which is entirely separate from the relationship.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

Well it's clear that the relationship between the slacker and the small buisness owner won't go anywhere.  By pointing this out now we can look back on this day in 3 years time (about a month later in the QCverse, aka Dimension Butts) and say, "Told ya!"

You don't need to *hope* that the relationship fails to be able to say that - you just need to predict it.
Also, your use of the word "slacker" gives a clue as to the real reason for you at least.

So what would it hypothetically take for concession that there is something in the relationship, out of curiosity?

Also, consider that they are just "giving it a go" - just because it might not work, doesn't mean they shouldn't try.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Tai isn't perfect, but she has more sense of social propriety than that, based on her past history in the comic.

That made me stop and think.

Trying to undress the Pugnacious Peach was contrary to most notions of social propriety, but examined carefully, Tai has invariably and scrupulously avoided deliberately hurting anyone. She's also shown more psychological awareness than, for example, Marten.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up