THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 05 Jun 2024, 00:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's everybody's favorite "era", art-speaking?  (Read 10206 times)

RyanW1019

• Larger than most fish
  • PARALYSIS BY ANALYSIS

I don't really know why, but I find the 1400-1600s art style more appealing than the current style (Example: http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1556). Although I agree that the art has improved significantly since then, and that's why we've had more ambitious things like the hiking trip and the space station visit, for some reason the somewhat older comics are just more aesthetically pleasing to me. Maybe there's a subtle Uncanny Valley effect going on for me and I like the slightly more cartoony feel of before, I dunno.

I'm hoping to not start an argument over the art progression, but I was thinking earlier and wondered if anybody else had favorite "eras" in terms of art style, besides the default "The art is always improving and the current style is always my favorite" stance. I think this is my first thread here, although I've been lurking for a while, so I hope I picked an interesting topic.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
Re: What's everybody's favorite "era", art-speaking?
« Reply #1 on: 02 Jun 2012, 21:42 »

I would say 1200-1500.  Then people's eyes started to get smaller.  But I don't want to be the guy who tells Jeph is art was better 3 years ago.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #2 on: 02 Jun 2012, 21:57 »

There are specific details I like about each "era" as it shows the progression of the art and writing and how they mesh. The "eras" cited so far reflect, I think, distinct developments toward the greater realism Jeph says he strives for.
Even the early, early ones show an awareness of the subtleties of expression, though Jeph was (and is) still trying to figure out how to depict that to his satisfaction.

I first started to really like the art in the late 800s - early 900s, when J. really started to stretch his artistic legs as far as poses and expressions (at least in the female characters). I've always liked Faye's pose and expression in the second and third panels of this one.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Middle-of-the-Road Conservative
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #3 on: 02 Jun 2012, 23:16 »

The Futurist movement at the beginning of the 20th century. Art, music. The analog of weird people like me in fancy dress.
Voluntarily banned from DISCUSS.

Listen to my music. http://wolfgangruck.newgrounds.com/audio/

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #4 on: 03 Jun 2012, 05:35 »

I genuinely do prefer the most recent art, because I like cartoons to be as close to realistic as possible and Jeph is getting better and better at that. That said, the comic the OP linked is nice - but the earlier ones just seem a little less polished.

Even the first strips are better than plenty of comics I've seen, though. If the art is so bad I can't tell which character is which, then I just give up reading. Jeph has never suffered from that problem.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #5 on: 03 Jun 2012, 10:26 »

Except for the white-haired guy that looked an awful lot like Hannerdad in the space arc.

Blood-Tree

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Must have tree blood!!!
« Reply #6 on: 03 Jun 2012, 12:57 »

The Futurist movement at the beginning of the 20th century. Art, music. The analog of weird people like me in fancy dress.

I totally thought that was what the question was asking as well. For me it's Art Nouveau all the way.

Comic-wise: 1000-1500

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #7 on: 03 Jun 2012, 12:58 »

Oh. Well. The Lascaux cave paintings, then.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #8 on: 03 Jun 2012, 14:56 »

Baroque, Art Nouveau, late 60's psychedelia, anything with lots of detailed fiddly bits and curliques. 

For the comic, sometime between when the boobs started acting realisticly (pulling on the shirt material), but before the pants did (everyone had squared off crotches). 

Both are clearly on display here
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #9 on: 03 Jun 2012, 15:42 »

2008 was about when I came on board, but I kinda liked the stuff that's probably gonna end up in Vol. 3 (601-900).
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #10 on: 03 Jun 2012, 18:32 »

400-1100, around that period.  Also has some of the best arcs IMO.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #11 on: 03 Jun 2012, 19:48 »

I don't know why, but it's only when I read threads like these that I remember I've been reading this comic five days a week for the past five years.  It does not seem that long.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #12 on: 03 Jun 2012, 22:05 »

I like the current art. Comparing it to previous "eras" the most striking think to me is how Jeph's been giving himself more flexibility to show expressions. Everybody's less round now, so distinctions in mood can be achieved with subtler touches but it's still stylized enough to tell that it's a comic.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #13 on: 04 Jun 2012, 00:13 »

Judging from Jeph's Twitter tonight, it seems we have another change in style about to happen.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #14 on: 04 Jun 2012, 07:28 »

The more cartoony art style made more cartoony strips possible. The sense of humor seems to have changed with the artwork.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #15 on: 04 Jun 2012, 09:33 »

Judging from Jeph's Twitter tonight, it seems we have another change in style about to happen.
I don't think the changes ever just happen, they're always happening.  It's how you can read through the entire archive barely noticing it, then go back a couple years and be floored at the difference.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #16 on: 04 Jun 2012, 12:45 »

I think there's something nice about every era but I really like 800 - 1400. Especially the body shapes of the characters. Also the Anthro PCs and Hanners were cute. I like the cartoony look.

The current style is great, technically, but the expressions aren't as big and the movements don't seem as fluid in a way. Also I have a personal preference for thicker lines.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #17 on: 04 Jun 2012, 15:52 »

I have a fondness for the mid to late 400s, such as 457.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday
« Reply #18 on: 04 Jun 2012, 18:59 »

I totally thought that was what the question was asking as well. For me it's Art Nouveau all the way.

Comic-wise: 1000-1500

Me three. Comic-wise, I agree the 400's are nice, but I the more realistic it looks the better. I guess my favs are 1150-early 1400s, and then 1600-Present. I honestly have never thought about my favorite art period in general...hmm
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

cvcharger

• Furry furrier
« Reply #19 on: 04 Jun 2012, 22:15 »

I like the style at the beginning of the comics.  For me, simpler is better.

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART
« Reply #20 on: 05 Jun 2012, 05:24 »

Dadaism to Surrealism is simultaneously my most favorite and most despised era in the history of art. So much to say about that, so little time. °O

As for the comic... I maintain a weird love affair with the simplicity of the early comics. (1 - 100)
Each one could be hung on the wall as a standalone indie piece of sequential art. At least in my opinion.
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #21 on: 07 Jun 2012, 20:06 »

There is one constant of Jeph's drawings, and it's apparent in today's comic (2204) - he still hasn't quite gotten the hang of showing people standing straight up.
Just another Joe like 46

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #22 on: 07 Jun 2012, 20:26 »

They do always lean a bit, don't they...

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #23 on: 07 Jun 2012, 21:08 »

It's especially bad in earlier comics, where he had characters talking over the shoulders as they walked away.

Still: the fact remains that a.) he's doing a heckuva better job than I ever could, and b.) the storyline and characters make you overlook some of the art issues.
Just another Joe like 46

cvcharger

• Furry furrier
« Reply #24 on: 08 Jun 2012, 00:00 »

There is one constant of Jeph's drawings, and it's apparent in today's comic (2204) - he still hasn't quite gotten the hang of showing people standing straight up.

I hadn't really noticed that until you said something.  Maybe my eyes are crooked.

jmucchiello

• Curry sauce
« Reply #25 on: 08 Jun 2012, 03:07 »

In the last couple hundred strips, from 2000 to present, every character seems to have developed an overbite. Panel 4 of 2205 shows Marten and the new redhead in profile and I swear she looks like a rabbit. (Thus my "What's up, Doc?" comment in the WCDT thread.) I first noticed this trend in the Space stories. The change in style was not abrupt though and overbites exist pre-2000 but around 2000 is when they first began to become pronounced.

So while I'd like to say my favorite era is "current", I guess I'm actually more partial to the 1600-2000 era. It was the least cartoony.

Daniel Patrick Moynihan

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #26 on: 08 Jun 2012, 13:31 »

I logged in to comment on the same panel... that profile view actually makes me a little sick to my stomach.  The rest of 2205 is fine, but man, that perspective really crystallizes my dislike of the very recent style: heads are very pointy.

My favorite era is 1500-1750 or so, maybe up to 1800. 

Edit:  I started reading around strip 1600, but I began by plowing through the entire archive in one or two sittings, so my sense of the 'end' of Jeph's art evolution solidified around 1650.
« Last Edit: 08 Jun 2012, 13:39 by Daniel Patrick Moynihan »

dps

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #27 on: 09 Aug 2012, 21:46 »

I would say 1200-1500.  Then people's eyes started to get smaller.  But I don't want to be the guy who tells Jeph is art was better 3 years ago.

Well, the question was what's everybody's favorite, not what's objectively best.  So I don't think saying that an older style was your favorite is the same as telling him he was better at his craft in the past.

Spyro Cool

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #28 on: 12 Aug 2012, 07:28 »

Except for the white-haired guy that looked an awful lot like Hannerdad in the space arc.

What. A space arc... I'm only on Page 2031... This is gonna be great...

Chymes

• Plantmonster
« Reply #29 on: 13 Aug 2012, 05:36 »

:psyduck:

Off-topic, but I was having a glance through 1, 100, 200, 300 to contrast and compare on this... and http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1400 struck me as quite the laugh given recent events, sure someone's already mentioned it somewhere though... :P

Ph2

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #30 on: 15 Aug 2012, 20:52 »

Like the OP 1400-1600 is my "favorite". I definitely like how Jeph's talent and style has evolved, but to everyone just looks so tall to me. I almost always end up feeling like a midget when I read the most recent strips.
Holopony is best pony.

(click to show/hide)

Taranatar

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #31 on: 27 Aug 2012, 16:25 »

I'm with the OP. Now the ears have become too large on some characters (Faye especially) and they lost their... dare I say it? Attractivity.

And they were somehow cuter...

jmucchiello

• Curry sauce
« Reply #32 on: 30 Aug 2012, 13:23 »

I think I prefer the 200-500 era. While everyone is pale as a ghost, there's more diversity of body shape and facial shape. And the characters "look better" to me than in other times.

I've been slowly reading the archive so it may just be that I'm use to them again. I found a cool page. Foreshadowing of Hannelore's existence: http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=313

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #33 on: 30 Aug 2012, 14:01 »

That era's art went well with a particular form of wackiness.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.
Pages: [1]   Go Up