THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 15 Jun 2024, 07:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The BEST part of Tai & Dora's First Date?

The clothing mixup at the start.
- 4 (8.9%)
Memories of piercings past.
- 0 (0%)
MY PUSSY RULES!
- 9 (20%)
"Will Torrent For Cash"
- 2 (4.4%)
Supportive Parents for Tai
- 0 (0%)
"I don't care if you bring home a boy or a girl or whatever, those pants are RIDICULOUS."
- 5 (11.1%)
Catching your dad checking out your girlfriend.
- 0 (0%)
...He only goes for tall women! (MAYBE I'LL WEAR PLATFORMS)
- 7 (15.6%)
Herrell's for desert?
- 0 (0%)
...Uh, maybe Bubble Tea instead?
- 1 (2.2%)
Tai prefers Euro dubstep to "Skrillexy American Stuff"
- 2 (4.4%)
Right now you're just the sexy little redhead who works at the library.
- 0 (0%)
Fact: I apparently get super flustered when you call me sexy.
- 3 (6.7%)
The POW on her elbow - Nana nana nana nana nana nana nana nana BAT-MAAAANNNN!
- 2 (4.4%)
Em-POW-ering? (Oh god, the bad pun never occurred to her)
- 2 (4.4%)
Kiss and buttgrab!
- 7 (15.6%)
"How did we get here? Last thing I remember, we were having dinner."
- 1 (2.2%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: WCDT: 2261-65 (27-31 August 2012) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 65712 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

She did, but I can't quite remember where it was in the strip archives. Lemme look.

EDIT: Found it - "She says she's doing okay, and she's sorry it didn't work out."

EDIT 2: #@#$!@# NINJA'ED by the mod.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

We never did figure out if Padma ever responded to Marten's text did we?  God that text was awkward.

She answered.

Damn.  I totally forgot that.  So hard to keep track of things you read when you read a hundred different stories in a given month. 

Bah.  This comic needs Hanners again.  Can't stand going without my Hanners fix.  Always something lacking in the strip when Hanners isn't around.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Harry Potter and oh god, Bellatrix? :psyduck:
That would be le strange, all right.

"Your PunPal(tm) account is overdrawn. Please deposit more into your account before continuing."
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Bah.  This comic needs Hanners again.  Can't stand going without my Hanners fix.  Always something lacking in the strip when Hanners isn't around.

Don't worry, it's in her contract. She needs to be in 30% of the strips or she becomes a free agent.  :angel:
Just another Joe like 46

ummmkay

• Curry sauce

Harry Potter and oh god, Bellatrix? :psyduck:
That would be le strange, all right.

burst out laughing at this! akima, i appreciate you.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday

Had to go with the kiss/buttgrab for the moment-of-the-date, but if that wasn't there I'd have gone with Tai's comment about liking Euro-dubstep rather than American. God we fail at dubstep  :-(
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

But to waste more of your time, I'll let Bat-Mite elaborate on the matter at hand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhJ3r7ycFss

I watched this. To be honest, I enjoyed it more than I had expected. Very nice way for a series to go out.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

But to waste more of your time, I'll let Bat-Mite elaborate on the matter at hand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhJ3r7ycFss

I watched this. To be honest, I enjoyed it more than I had expected. Very nice way for a series to go out.

And there's only one way to really stop talking about Batman. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnY5Rp2uNYw

The best moment of an animated Batman series. Ever.

Tova

• coprophage

Comic!

For some reason, today's hit me right on the funny bone.

And I'm not totally surprised that Tai has reacted in this way.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Mostly just unlikely pairings, like characters who never actually interact in a series.
I, for one, is a shameless shipper of Abby+Elliott, even though they never met, because hey, why the hell not? At least it's not totally baseless, since we know Elliott is Abby's type.

Anyway, what's with girls freaking out over first time and asking for Marten every time (okay, it's only the second time it happens, but still).
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Let's hope he keeps things contained better than last time...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

What will happen to the QC universe if someone invents the idea of "boundaries"?

Jeph doesn't do this kind of obvious repetition, but I did imagine Dora barging in on them.

Tai goes to an employee for comfort and not a classmate or other friend? Marten's a great choice, but why would he be first in line?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Tai, little lockpick extraordinaire.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

All I'm thinking is, that girl has absolutely -no- freakin' boundaries. I don't care how good a friend someone is, I don't let myself into someone's house unless they give me explicit direction to, on a case-by-case basis.

WAYF

• Beyoncé

I agree with Is It Cold In Here, I'm sensing a pattern of people coming to Marten for advice cause Marten is nice about everything.

At least there's no reason for Dora to barge in this time.
And hopefully Marten has learned from his past mistake with the boxers.

Ooh! Maybe this is a good time for Marten to give Tai the "cliff notes" on Dora, so to speak! :P
(unless, like Faye, Dora's cliff notes are several volumes long and guarded by ferocious creatures)

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday

I think someone's in loooooooove  :-D

(or maybe just thinks she is)

Tai goes to an employee for comfort and not a classmate or other friend? Marten's a great choice, but why would he be first in line?

There's a strip from a ways back in which Tai made it clear she considers her and Marten friends rather than just boss and employee. Since then you can tell Marten has made more of an effort to include her in other areas of his life, reflected in Tais growing presence in the comic.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

I think that's probably why Tai has come to Marten rather than anyone else.  He may be an employee, but he's also a brotherly type figure to her, and as Dora's last close companion, it's only natural for Tai to want to talk to him about her. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

All I'm thinking is, that girl has absolutely -no- freakin' boundaries. I don't care how good a friend someone is, I don't let myself into someone's house unless they give me explicit direction to, on a case-by-case basis.

Well, this is QC.  Boundaries are less of a factor here.  Pintsize proves that.  It is strange though.

And I gotta say, I'd feel very uncomfortable giving relationship advice or just talking about relationship advice with a co-worker/friend when that relationship advice is my ex.  Just rubs me the wrong way.  Maybe others are a better people than I and would willingly give it, but I honestly don't think I could do it and personally don't view it as fair to ask such things of a person.  Maybe I just have a different set of boundaries, but....Ugh.  Just no.

Then again, I had a friend who went out with a girl and after a relatively messyish breakup, she started asking him dating advice and what to do to get some other bloke or some such.  Just smells of...wrongness to me.  If there is a boundary, it should be there.  Plus, "cliff notes" on Dora smacks of cheating.  You gotta do your own heavy lifting.

But I'm jumping ahead of myself.  We aren't even sure what Tai wants to talk about relating to Dora but.

Urghgh.  These types of "lemme ask you about your ex who's now 'dating' me" just annoys me.

Agreed with Is It Cold In Here.  Isn't there ANYONE Tai can talk to first at least?  C'mon.

And I wonder what it will be.  A sudden realization of the spacey things/stares of Dora during the date?  Or an issue with taking it slow? 

Boxilar

• Emoticontraindication
  • I have a hat

Let's hope he keeps things contained better than last time...

On the upside, Dora is at least 30 minutes away, and Tai has pants on.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint

BOUNDARIES, HOW DO THEY WORK?

-- most of the characters in this comic

Hypster

• Plantmonster

We don't really know anything about Tai's other friends. The only time we hear about them is when Tai is talking about drugs and sex, so I think it's reasonable to assume that she doesn't have much interaction with them outside of those activities. Tai seems like she's going for a real relationship with Dora so it makes sense she would want to have this conversation with a mature person.
edit: I do agree that having a conversation about your romantic interest with their semi-recent ex is a little weird.

Also, I missed the W when I was typing "when Tai" so it read "hen Tai". I giggled.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

...well, this seems like the worst idea ever.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

For it to be the worst idea ever, Pintsize would have to be involved.

Oh, no. Think about purple elephants.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

What song is Marten's ringtone?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tova

• coprophage

I assume that all the horror at Tai approaching Marten for advice is coming from the same people who are also horrified at (and/or in denial of) the idea of Marten being fine with Tai and Dora dating.

As the objections would seem to disappear if you accept that Marten is happy for them, I don't see anything new coming out of this latest line of discussion.

Beyond that, it seems perfectly natural for just the reasons Carl-E has described. He is a mature friend and he knows Dora as well as, if not better than, anyone else Tai knows and with whom Tai would be comfortable speaking on this topic.

As for the song... I assume that someone will jump in with its name soon. I'm kinda surprised it hasn't happened already, actually.

Abyssalin

• Furry furrier
  • Mellow Mind Mellow Life... Mellow Yellow

I love that half of you are all mad about Tai letting herself in, when god forbid when Hanners first entered the comic properly thats all she ever did, infact you were more likely to find Hanners at the apartment than any other character, and sure Pintsize would have let her come in. but he's an anthropc, he does have no right to let people into the household.

Anyway i think Tai freaking out about this is alright actually, I mean when it comes to proper terms she's never had a proper girlfriend who is 100% monogamous, so.., I wanna see how this pans out..

Oh wait, its Friday, Blech.

Also i believe the song is WILCO - I am trying to break your heart,

But i could be wrong.
"Coming out of my cage and i've been doing just fine"

WAYF

• Beyoncé

...I guess it's Wilco with "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart"?

I mean, there could be more than one song with that title (and those lyrics in its chorus), but given that it occupied ALL TEN of the search results on the first Google page searching for 'I am trying to break your heart lyrics', I'm gonna go with Wilco. :P

xLeitix

• Not quite a lurker

but he's an anthropc, he does have no right to let people into the household.

Is that so? I thought that the QC-verse has established quasi-human rights for anthropcs? Also, why the heck would Pintsize care if he has the right to let Hanners in or not  :-D

Anyway, don't get upset about this little invasion of privacy. We know that the universal rule of the QC-verse is that things sometimes happen for amusement value alone, and I guess this is one of those instances. Tai COULD have just called, or come in the morning, or talked to Marten at work, like most sane people would, but where would be the fun in that??

Abyssalin

• Furry furrier

I find nothing wrong with it, i was merely proposing a logical statement for people who analyze QC with logic,

Where when i read QC my logic jumps the first unicorn plane to Non-existence peninsula, the fact that she's already in his apartment isn't particularly surprising to me,

Either way, I wonder if Faye's in the other room, god forbid there has to be one joke about this sorta situation happening before.

SJCrew

• Obscure cultural reference

Poor Marten. The lengths he has to go through to be friends with everyone. :P

Mothykins

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Spotted Stegasaurothingy

Guys. Common. I'm starting to think some of you are just taking any chance you can find to hate on Tai.

We don't know any of Tai's other classmates/friends, outside of the QC social circle. And who is she closest with in that circle? Marten. Why would Jeph have her talking to some person we've literally never seen when there's a perfectly good Marten laying around?
Be loud, be proud, and rejoice!

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Where else would she go? From a story-telling point of view, no other friend has been presented, and Tai is closer to Marten than Faye, Hannelore, Penny, or any other character. Otherwise? The faculty-member she was sleeping with eons ago? That would be an awkward conversation. To the polyamorous drama-club in her hall of residence? She's ready to move on from that.

And yes, Hanners has been mysteriously appearing in other people's apartments since forever. And Faye and Angus were so addled that they accidentally entered Hanners' apartment and made out on her sofa. The locks just don't work in that building.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Abyssalin

• Furry furrier

Poor Marten. The lengths he has to go through to be friends with everyone. :P

Kinda represents real life, some people really have to go to great lengths to be friends with people...

But that's why friendship is rewarding.

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
  • Got alla the cri'cal sysms runnin'
    • Fessel at DeviantART

If Marten ends up sticking out of his boxers again this time I'm gonna burst.
My music as Hirnfunk on Soundcloud
My art (old and new) as Indrome on DeviantArt

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

I'd say that Jeph has signalled that this won't happen by having Tai remark on his boxers already.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Tova

• coprophage

Is there anyone left that hasn't seen Marten in boxers?

Hypster

• Plantmonster

Hanners?
Which is surprising now that I think about it, considering how often she's slept over or broken in. But I don't think she's seen him in his skivvies.

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
    • Fessel at DeviantART

Depends on who was or wasn't in the street during his "sex-with-Padma" ordeal.

From what we've seen the library interns and Momo haven't yet. Also Dave and Marigold and Space Station Lieutenant... oh wait, rhetorical question, nvm. ^^

Hanners? [ ... ]
Wasn't she in CoD when Marten showed up in Boxers after a night with Padma?

edit:
If Marten ends up sticking out of his boxers again this time I'm gonna burst.
I just took another look at his boxers and he'd have to be VERY well endowed to dip out of those with anything but his legs. ...

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker

I always assumed that he had poked out of the little window in the front.

Soulsynger

• The Tickler
    • Fessel at DeviantART

I don't think that's possible without a certain ... woodiness.

xLeitix

• Not quite a lurker

I don't think that's possible without a certain ... woodiness.

I can tell you, it sure is. Simply requires a bit of mis-alignment on the skivvies part, and off he goes.

(also, having a bit of a woody situation directly after waking up is not unheard of)

Hypster

• Plantmonster

Hanners? [ ... ]
Wasn't she in CoD when Marten showed up in Boxers after a night with Padma?
Nope, just Dora and Raven.
oh god i just spent so much time reading QC

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

Every lesbian needs a wacky straight friend she can go to for relationship advice and fashion tips.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Please bring back good ol' Sven, Steve and crazy Hannelore stories.   :cry:

Jeph has tweeted about something like this only a few hours ago (and some following tweets).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker

I just assumed that the reason Tai came to Marten is that she wanted to talk to Marten, nobody else. I figure it's because she wants to make sure he's really ok with it.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

At least there's no reason for Dora to barge in this time.

Ooo, but given her tendencies, she might see Tai looking to Marten as a threat. She might get it in her head that Marten might expose some long lost secret, or worse. Maybe she wet the bed once with Marten in it......

Abyssalin

• Furry furrier

But tai is 100% lesbian so she and marten is impossible..

But then again

DORA HAS NEVER ACTED UNREASONABLE AT ALL

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Hey, maybe that's it? Dora wasn't ever really mad at Marten; she just saw Faye (her friend! Hers! Not some boy's!) mostly naked in someone else's arms and flipped her lid. Then she had to irrationalise it and Marten was the only available target.
Oopsie.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Renewman

• Emoticontraindication

Really? Are we seriously getting ready to have another late night Marten talk? Jeez man, this is seriously getting cliche.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

I was just half expecting him to wake up to the ring, and see her sitting  at the end of the bed...
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up