THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 May 2024, 18:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The Return of the OMGTurkeys! What are YOU thankful for?

The strip.
- 66 (13.1%)
Jeph's health.
- 110 (21.9%)
MY health.
- 60 (11.9%)
YOUR health.
- 31 (6.2%)
Family and friends (though not necessarily in that order).
- 86 (17.1%)
This forum.
- 20 (4%)
Turkey and all the trimmings.
- 13 (2.6%)
The interwebs.
- 47 (9.3%)
Something else.
- 24 (4.8%)
Spathe Ham!
- 13 (2.6%)
...must... read... ALL the posts...
- 33 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 173

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2323-2327 (19-23 November 2012) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 204323 times)

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Duck? ... Oh, I get it.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

tiercel

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

Man, I'm just as happy that the revelation is being handled so well so far in-comic.

I mean, here we are having two characters having a calm, rational conversation about acceptance, and the forums seem to have reacted like someone is repeatedly kicking a small puppy broadcast live across Youtube and Facebook.

Can you imagine if the in-comic conversation were being handled more awkwardly or with less understanding?  The forums would be shut down, not because of moderation but because emergency responders would still be picking their way into the smoking crater left by what happened to the server hosting these forums.

I just like that Marten's personality is being shown to be a good thing here, both for Marten and for Claire.  I like that we don't HAVE to always see Marten take a pratfall for comedic and/or dramatic value.  It's good to see that while Marten may often be too passive for his OWN good, that he often has a positive effect on those around him.  (And when he does, that contributes to his own good, because he genuinely is happy when his friends are happy.)

Seriously, this is warm fuzzy territory.  Lighten up, forum peoples  :-)

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand

Maybe I'm exposed to some rather bad places, and I know I'm new so I don't have the same perspectives, but I admit I'm hard-pressed to why there's as many people as there are (mind you a minority) implying or indicating this thread is a flaming warzone, unless I'm missing something here. It's been rather civil I thought. More civil than a lot of internet and meatspace discussions (or 'discussions' sometimes) I've been in and seen.

TheEvilDog

Don't worry. This forum survived the tidal wave of hate aimed towards Dora during the break-up and the pool ripple of Dora going out with Jim and the dropper of water of Tai asking out Dora. It'll survive this.

Apparently, whatever will destroy the forum will need some sort of kaijin-Dora. Queen Gi-Dora?

miados

• Obscure cultural reference

even though i hope it isnt the case is it weird i am trying to figure out who is most likely to freak? als kudos to claire for telling. i am not a trans but more than once and even sometimes now i ponder if i was the wrong gender at birth. heck i know how hard just the thoughts can be much less the real thing of being one so way to go claire.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor

In before they build a Mecha-Dora to fight Queen Gi-Dora, but Pintsize manages to upload into it.

Mothykins

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Spotted Stegasaurothingy

Don't worry. This forum survived the tidal wave of hate aimed towards Dora during the break-up and the pool ripple of Dora going out with Jim and the dropper of water of Tai asking out Dora. It'll survive this.

Apparently, whatever will destroy the forum will need some sort of kaijin-Dora. Queen Gi-Dora?

Wait, the Tai/Dora explosion was a water drop? I'm kind of glad I've only been on the forums fairly recently o_o;;
Be loud, be proud, and rejoice!

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

Warning - while you were reading 4 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Holy cow - there's nothing to review yet.

Maybe I'm exposed to some rather bad places, and I know I'm new so I don't have the same perspectives, but I admit I'm hard-pressed to why there's as many people as there are (mind you a minority) implying or indicating this thread is a flaming warzone, unless I'm missing something here. It's been rather civil I thought. More civil than a lot of internet and meatspace discussions (or 'discussions' sometimes) I've been in and seen.

I think it's been by-and-large civil, as well. I suspect that a few people read the first couple of pages (which did get a bit tense), looked down at the total number of pages, and just assumed the worst.

Since then, there's been a few disagreements which have been dealt with fairly promptly before the thread simply moved on.

Maybe fast-moving threads are good for stopping disagreements from festering.

Back to the comic: I've known a couple of people who simply seem to engender trust, allowing people to naturally open up to them. Marten seems to be one of those types. His relaxed nature does help.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

The thread has actually been remarkably civil, given the amount of traffic.

You just need to look at the break-up arc to see true flamewars, shipwars, and fans of characters fighting each other.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Wait, the Tai/Dora explosion was a water drop? I'm kind of glad I've only been on the forums fairly recently o_o;;

Yes. Yes you are. As a veteran of The Breakup, the Tai/Dora shenanigans didn't even register as outside of normal background variation.

Honestly though, I'm kind of curious to see what the reaction woud be, now that the forum population and fan base are rather larger, to something along the lines of The Talk happening again. That or Penelope actually being Pizza Girl.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Apparently, on this forum it's deemed acceptable to unleash frothing, self-righteous holy fury on people (and their countries) for daring to suggest that trans people should be treated just like everyone else.
(moderator)
It is not.
(/moderator)
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES

Now here is the plot twist:  ALL of the interns are Trans.    Together they are...   8-)  The X-Men.    *CSI SCREAM*

That's right I just WON THE THREAD.  *nod*   Move along now,  nothing more to post here.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor

I'd have been willing to declare Thread won, but you can't just claim it yourself, MillionLebron Belt Sander.

...c-can you?

• 1-800-SCABIES

I'd have been willing to declare Thread won, but you can't just claim it yourself, MillionLebron Belt Sander.

...c-can you?

Can.  And did.      8-)

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Dude's got a belt sander and he's not afraid to use it. Chuck Norris makes MillionDollar Belt Sander jokes -- but never to his face. Wookiees let him win. Give him the thread, people.

Despite that note of advance-caution I sounded a page or so ago, I do agree the thread's been remarkably civil, with only the rare bump here and there from a new poster (welcome, new persons!) discovering someone else didn't agree fully enough with said poster.

It's been worse, I can attest to that, as can anyone who goes back and reads the threads associated with the Great Breakup Bustup of 2010, also referred to as Dorageddon or the Dorapocalypse. I've also helped manage a small-town newspaper's anonymous comment section; talk about something that destroys your faith in humanity.

Oh, and be sure to play the caption game.

"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

I've also helped manage a small-town newspaper's anonymous comment section; talk about something that destroys your faith in humanity.
I did that 15-20 years ago, but I moderated it, posting an Ed Note: to challenge the obviously wrong-headed, and often with a quip or a pun. I was the second to do this, and under the first guy, Ed Note became a personality whose real identity was the subject of a lot of community guessing.

PHDrillSergeant

• Plantmonster
  • aka PonyToast
    • True Equestria Radio

To those people going through the comics looking for signs of her being a cis male: stop it. It's really not cool.

I know, I know, "but she's only a character!". How you are reacting reflects on how many, many people react to trans* people IRL. And it's embarrassing and infuriating.

Especially to the person who went "Boom: Adams Apple". Stop that shit. Seriously.

That was me. And I don't think you've got the right idea here, telling people to "stop that shit". It's rude.

See? All it takes is one person saying something innocently, pointing out foreshadowing the author may have done to an interesting plot development, and someone gets offended. I thought it was interesting, and I'd like to think Jaques had this planned beforehand. I think it's great. There's no offense meant there, and if you see any offense meant, then you are clearly looking for someone to be a badguy.

Maybe you should consider taking a break, going outside, hanging out with friends, etc. Because the last thing this thread needs is someone telling others whether they can or cannot enjoy the comic in a way they wish to.
PonyToast

Host, True Equestria Radio
http://trueequestriaradio.com

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Yeah. Like that.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class

I've already got Wednesday's comic scripted:

Claire:  Good Morning.
Hannelore:  How's it hangin'?
Claire:  (Runs off to cry) Damn it, Marten!

Maybe that line would work with Emily.

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico

Honestly, I've found the claims that the thread is a warzone and that people should be ashamed of the way they are acting to be the most offensive thing in the thread.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Two things:

1. This is nothing compared to what the Dorapocalypse was two years ago. This stuff is downright civil compared to that.

2. M$BS can't "win" this thread, because I'd have to LET him win it, as the OP&P (Original Poster and Pollster).

That being said - M$BS? Win.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

... I'd like to think Jaques had this planned beforehand.

Indeed.

• 1-800-SCABIES

2. M$BS can't "win" this thread, because I'd have to LET him win it, as the OP&P (Original Poster and Pollster).

That being said - M$BS? Win.

I declared myself winner.   The only way to reverse that is for me to declare myself NOT. WINNER.

And I'm not doing that.     

Belt Sander -- 1  Everyone else -- 0  8-)

TheEvilDog

What if someone pulled the plug from the belt sander and took away the rechargable battery?

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.

... I'd like to think Jaques had this planned beforehand.

Indeed.

I dunno... I'm thinking it was a spur of the moment kind of thing
if it's probable that you're going to "die trying"
you might want to rethink your plan...

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Re: MDBS and his claim that only he can revoke his win...I've never been more tempted to edit someone's post and put I AM NOT THE WINNER.  (Or, you know, the old classic DTISC)  ::)
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

What if someone pulled the plug from the belt sander and took away the rechargable battery?

He switches in the gas engine. If that goes out, there's a drive belt all ready to hook up to the flywheel of a steam thresher. I've heard rumors of a mastodon on a treadmill.

TheEvilDog

<unnecessary quote removed by moderator>

Then the mastodon should probably be replaced before use... Probably all mouldy and dead right now....
« Last Edit: 22 Nov 2012, 04:51 by pwhodges »

henri bemis

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Don't F with my glasses

Who needs a belt sander if you've got a freakin' mastodon?!

fugue2005

Interesting. 

Marten wins with the non-reaction.  Just what Claire needed, I'm sure.

here's my take on that, it would surprise me if anyone in that circle of friends (other than pintsize) had anything snarky to say to her.

I mean think about it, Claire could not have scoured the world and found a better person to open up to about this.
FFS Marten has a momDom, a Dom so well known that his GF knew of her before she knew she was marten's mom.
MArten has friends of seemingly ever race, color and creed. he has friends that have had and still have some serious psychological issues, and even is openly accepting of those less biological than the rest. That boy was born and raised to be open minded.

It would have suprised me if marten's reaction to her statement was anything but "meh"

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Welcome, new person!

That's a good insight about Marten.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

• 1-800-SCABIES

He switches in the gas engine. If that goes out, there's a drive belt all ready to hook up to the flywheel of a steam thresher. I've heard rumors of a mastodon on a treadmill.

If the mastodon fails I have a small nuclear device good for 200 years of maximum power.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Warning: while you were greeting two new people four new people joined the discussion. You may wish to review the notion of exponential growth

Language does matter, though, if used to guide thought and not as a trap for the unwary.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Popcorn anyone?
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

cam94509

• Not quite a lurker

For some reason, I was not surprised at this new turn.

I mean, let's see, my experiences have been a bit sour, but even if I became supreme leader of x-land and throw everyone out, I have no problem with Trans-persons, so long, as most will agree, they are nice to me. No "Scum" stuff, no "privilege" or any of that PC-whining stuff, and I can't see much going wrong.

Likewise, this [this storyline] is going to get interesting. Who knows how the other characters react, if this spreads.

Though that might turn to Cerebus Syndrome, and eh....

I'm a little puzzled. What is your objection to "privilege"? As a concept, I'd think that it (although not necessarily the ways one treats it) is... well, kinda obviously a thing.

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

I have an idea about what would happen in a (remote) future (if i get it right, then sorry for the spoiler ^^U ):

(click to show/hide)

Seriously, read at your own risk.

Seeya.-

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Your hopes stand a good chance of being realized. Jeph's characters tend to grow beyond caricature. It's part of why people get so passionate about the comic: they feel the personalities of the characters and recognize them from their own lives.

Welcome, cam94509. Some people perceive mentions of privilege as an attempt to manipulate them into feeling guilty, rather than as an observation and analysis of social dynamics. But that discussion doesn't have much to do with the comic.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

K1d: I would hope it ends up less boilerplate than that, since there are so many larger issues you can work with...

Yeah, i know. When i said future i mean like, 50 strips after now  :angel: It's just something that i thought could happen in X situation.
 The issues/subject can be treated before and after that (not that i say it would happen, just pure speculation)  :-) .

Edit: Jeph's gonna fire up the livestream in a little while ^^ I can't wait to see what's next   :-) .

danuis

• Plantmonster

There are so many ways this can go...I can say I'm quite excited to see where it will go.
« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2012, 22:36 by danuis »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

<quoting reduced by moderator>

Edit: Jeph's gonna fire up the livestream in a little while ^^ I can't wait to see what's next   :-) .

Me too!

Jeph is usually more unpredictable than that, but there will almost certainly be some form of screwup.
« Last Edit: 22 Nov 2012, 04:52 by pwhodges »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Leucelia

• Not quite a lurker
  • Just another one.
    • Just Another Trans Girl

Ah, well, then it just sounds like an insecure person not picking their battles like they should. That always sucks.

Man, wouldn't THAT be the dream, though? The New Bill Of Rights, with protections for all for leases, employment, education, housing, marriage..that's the damned dream right there.
Education, not argument is my policy.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

I wonder how far the QC world has moved in that direction? Henry and Maurice can legally get married there. There's legal equality for AIs, though that was a long struggle only recently won. On the other hand, a landlord has gotten away with asking a prospective tenant about her religion.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tormuse

• Larger than most fish
  • I'm not really that patriotic... really!

Well, in the spirit of over-analyzing, I'd like to consider how each character would react to the news if they end up hearing about it.  :)  (in no particular order)

I imagine that Dora and Tai would react similarly to Marten, seeing that they're already part of the LGBT spectrum.  ;)

Hannelore would also be okay with it and have a surprising amount of knowledge about it, considering her compulsion for researching things.

Marigold would not know what to say and be too shy to make any comment about it.

I don't think we really know enough about Gabby to predict her response.

Clinton already knows.  (duh!)

I can see Angus having well-intentioned, but nevertheless inappropriate things to say about it.

Faye would be her usually snarky self and say *really* inappropriate things about it.

I can picture Steve and Cosette having misunderstandings and misconceptions about it and needing to be educated.

Emily would ask some very intrusive questions, similar to the kind she asked Momo.

Comments?  (Did I forget anybody?)

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Now here is the plot twist:  ALL of the interns are Trans.   

Your idea might have merit. Then again, do I really want to dwell into Kathoeys?

Warning - while you were typing 13 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Wait, what? Is this some sorta glitch?

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!

I wonder how far the QC world has moved in that direction? Henry and Maurice can legally get married there. There's legal equality for AIs, though that was a long struggle only recently won. On the other hand, a landlord has gotten away with asking a prospective tenant about her religion.

Henry and Maurice can get married in the real Massachusetts. ...and 8 other states. and the District of Columbia.

It's amazing how far things have come in the last few years. (doesn't mean there isn't still a long way to go.)
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

I don't think we really know enough about Gabby to predict her response.
"
 Gabby: I knew it already.
 Claire: wh-- , how?
 Gabby: I have a brain under all this fuzzy hair, you know?
 " (?)

Clinton is gonna appear in the next strip btw.

[not going to read 13 pages]
Ey, if i did it ... :-D

Sooo, a thought just occurred to me. What if the reason Clinton thinks Claire is "weird" and stuff is because he's freaked out by her trans status and is not supportive about her transition? That would be sad =(.
I don't think so.
 I mean, he could get angry or something when she started the treatment (unless Claire told him how she felt before), but know i think they just act like brother and sister; you know, the rivalry, don't wanna be in the same groups of friends, etc.
 She said already he is a good brother, maybe his actitude it's just part of his personality. Claire really loves her brother, and (not matter what Clinton say) he loves her too  :angel:

...too much?

EDIT: Next strip
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2012, 23:47 by K1dmor »

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

Apropos of nothing at all: this made me laugh.

"tumblr, why do you have so much angries? let go of your angries and just look at some nice art and cute animals. no more angries, you guys."

https://twitter.com/empartridge/status/271145921406984192
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

...Told you.

Maybe he's a jerk.....but the overprotective type :-) .
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2012, 00:31 by K1dmor »

Wagimawr

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • Facebook

Claire's look in the last panel says it all.

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.

This entire week Claire has been so adorable! I just want to give her a hug.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Up