Fun Stuff > BAND

What the fuck did he just say?

<< < (18/19) > >>

cybersmurf:

--- Quote from: MarigoldSkye on 16 Apr 2019, 16:03 ---Well, I like a lot of Celtic/Irish music and they will sing in Gaelic quite a bit.

I have pretty much all the songs ever from Sailormoon and some other Anime.  Also representing for Japan in my collection are the awesome Babymetal.

A few tracks in German:  Du Hast (but then, who hasn't listened to Du Hast?).   Die Gesistche by EAV and An Deiner Seite by Unheilig

--- End quote ---

Rammstein is well known internationally, but EAV? I mean, they're Austrian, and Die Geschichte may not be representative for their general work. They're usually more on the comedic side, and if you're having trouble understanding them: it's OK. Austrian german has a slightly different speech melody, and sometimes that throws off even germans.

hedgie:
Dialects of a language can be like that.  One of the people who struggled the most in a German course I was in was Swiss and spoke it at home.

cybersmurf:
Swiss German is heavy. I mean really heavy. Even if they speak their "moderate" variant, they are hard to understand. And if they fall into the real swiss german, I am truly lost. "Curse of the Mountain People".

MarigoldSkye:

--- Quote from: cybersmurf on 23 Apr 2019, 09:51 ---
--- Quote from: MarigoldSkye on 16 Apr 2019, 16:03 ---Well, I like a lot of Celtic/Irish music and they will sing in Gaelic quite a bit.

I have pretty much all the songs ever from Sailormoon and some other Anime.  Also representing for Japan in my collection are the awesome Babymetal.

A few tracks in German:  Du Hast (but then, who hasn't listened to Du Hast?).   Die Gesistche by EAV and An Deiner Seite by Unheilig

--- End quote ---

Rammstein is well known internationally, but EAV? I mean, they're Austrian, and Die Geschichte may not be representative for their general work. They're usually more on the comedic side, and if you're having trouble understanding them: it's OK. Austrian german has a slightly different speech melody, and sometimes that throws off even germans.

--- End quote ---

I actually picked up that song from a Trigun AMV that I downloaded years ago.   I speak kindergarten level german, if that (I can recite some basic colors and count to 12, along with stuff like man, woman, boy, girl).  So I have no idea what they are saying, really, regional accent or no.  I know Gesistche means "story" or "history", I think, but that's about it.

Case:

--- Quote from: cybersmurf on 23 Apr 2019, 09:51 ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Huh? I didn't know EAV were Austrian and never had any trouble understanding them.

P.S.: Now that you mention it: Yeah, the dialect is obvious. Still didn't register with me as Austrian for some reason.

--- Quote from: cybersmurf on 23 Apr 2019, 13:21 ---Swiss German is heavy. I mean really heavy. Even if they speak their "moderate" variant, they are hard to understand. And if they fall into the real swiss german, I am truly lost. "Curse of the Mountain People".

--- End quote ---

Ohf**k yes: TV-anchor Swiss-German is 'barely comprehensible', but when they go full-on 'Chuchichäschtli' (Bread-box/cupboard), I'm lost.

There are sounds in Swiss-German that are closer to Dutch than anything spoken anywhere else in Germany or Austria.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version